Home
Posted By: War_Eagle Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/05/19
I'm a bit out of touch on rangefinders...quality, value, etc. Looking to pick one or two up for Christmas gifts and maybe keep one for myself.

I was eyeballing a Vortex Ranger a while back but never committed. I see Midway has several products on sale. Doug @ Cameraland has some on sale as well, including the Leica 2700 and Athlon 1200.

Would prefer not to have to spend $500 to get a decent unit....especially since I'm probably looking to pick up two. Are the Athlon 1200yd units @ $190 worth the time or should I look at something else?

Primary use for myself and the gift recipient would be hunting clear cuts and food plots in the south as well as random use for range time.

Definitely open to suggestions if there are better options.
Posted By: skeen Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Are the Athlon 1200yd units @ $190 worth the time or should I look at something else?

I've been using an Athlon 1200 for a year or two now. Good value for the money.
Call us, mention this forum and we will do the Athlon Midas 1200 Yard Rangefinder for you for $179.99, Merry Christmas smile
I've no personal experience with this model, or brand, but have read good things. Not a Bass Pro fan, but this appears to be a smokin' deal: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sig-sauer-kilo-2200bdx-rangefinder
Originally Posted by drano 25
I've no personal experience with this model, or brand, but have read good things. Not a Bass Pro fan, but this appears to be a smokin' deal: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sig-sauer-kilo-2200bdx-rangefinder

That’s an awesome deal!
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

That’s an awesome deal!

Just an FYI, yesterday was apparently some kind of "pre-sale". The SIG is back to normal price of $499 today. I believe it is supposed to be back at $299 on Dec 8th - 15th.

I seem to have lost my Leica, which I bought from Doug on a great deal several years ago. I may pick up this SIG to replace it. The deal Doug has on the Leica CRF 2700-B right now is a great one.
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/05/19
Look at Sig...
Posted By: aalf Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

That’s an awesome deal!

Just an FYI, yesterday was apparently some kind of "pre-sale". The SIG is back to normal price of $499 today. I believe it is supposed to be back at $299 on Dec 8th - 15th.

I seem to have lost my Leica, which I bought from Doug on a great deal several years ago. I may pick up this SIG to replace it. The deal Doug has on the Leica CRF 2700-B right now is a great one.

Maybe because Cabelas/Bass pro has a 10% off & free shipping today only.
Posted By: Dre Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/05/19
I’d buy that sig on sale in a heart beat if I didn’t have the smaller brother
Posted By: 1234 Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/05/19
what kind of warrentee does the athlon rangefinder have?

Ed
Originally Posted by 1234
what kind of warrentee does the athlon rangefinder have?

Ed

According to their website, they say it carries a full, lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted by Athlon's Website
Your Athlon Optics product is not only warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. Athlon will also repair or replace, at no charge to you, your product if you should damage it through normal use. No receipt needed, no registration required. This is a commitment that Athlon will be the best product you can buy for your money.

*This warranty does not cover damages caused by deliberate damage, misuse, theft or maintenance provided by someone other than the Athlon Authorized Service Department.

*Athlon Life Time Warranty only covers binoculars, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, red dots, prism scopes, magnifiers, and laser rangefinders. Other Athlon Products have standard one year warranty.

https://athlonoptics.com/lifetime-warranty/

Sig says lifetime as well, but I have read a few discussions on a other sites last night that say Sig only warrants the electronics within the rangefinders for 5 years. I downloaded the owners manual to see if I could find specifics but haven't read it yet.

Also, Sig is made in the USA. I am assuming the Athlon is sourced from Asia, though I haven't found a specific reference yet.

The Sig is back on sale today Dec 8th at least. Just ordered one but when I went to check out the shipping was $134!!!! There is no shipping if you pick up in store so that's what I did. Don't know if that is an in-store deal only or not.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

The Sig is back on sale today Dec 8th at least. Just ordered one but when I went to check out the shipping was $134!!!! There is no shipping if you pick up in store so that's what I did. Don't know if that is an in-store deal only or not.

Weird. I just ordered the Sig through BP as well and got 2 day free shipping to my residence.
Posted By: viking Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/08/19
I order one from Cabela’s yesterday. A Leupold, $179. Nothing great,

Weird. I just ordered the Sig through BP as well and got 2 day free shipping to my residence.

Maybe they just miss me?
I have the Sig 2200 and the Athlon Midas. The Sig reaches 1500 yards easily and 2000 on occasion. The display on the Sig is red, which is a big plus at dusk. It is a straight up rangefinder, with no angle compensation or other features, and is well worth three hundred bucks.

The Athlon Midas will reach 1000 yards with ease, and mine touches 1200 on occasion. The display is black, which is my only gripe. It does, however, give angle compensation data which is a big deal to bowhunters. At $179 from Doug, it is an absolute Best Buy, and a real bargain and value.

I carry and use both and find that both of them suit me better than did my old Leica CRF 1200. In fact, I sold my Leica as soon as I got the Sig.

That's coming up for me at checkout as well, though I haven't pulled the trigger. $315 after tax is pretty tempting.
Yeah, they got me for 10% tax but I had some points to redeem and sweeten the deal. Looking forward to trying it out.

Had I seen Doug's flash sale on the Athlon for $169 before I bought the Sig, I may have gone that route.

Sharpsguy's comments about the red vs black display is something I hadnt read or heard about yet. I'm thinking I'll be happy with the Sig.
You'll like the Sig. Mine has ranged a fox in a pasture at 387 yards, and a crow at 423. I didn't want to shoot the fox, but I killed the crow with my 40-70 Sharps. One of my better shots.
thanks, Dealin' Doug....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I have the Sig 2200 and the Athlon Midas. The Sig reaches 1500 yards easily and 2000 on occasion. The display on the Sig is red, which is a big plus at dusk. It is a straight up rangefinder, with no angle compensation or other features, and is well worth three hundred bucks.

The Athlon Midas will reach 1000 yards with ease, and mine touches 1200 on occasion. The display is black, which is my only gripe. It does, however, give angle compensation data which is a big deal to bowhunters. At $179 from Doug, it is an absolute Best Buy, and a real bargain and value.

I carry and use both and find that both of them suit me better than did my old Leica CRF 1200. In fact, I sold my Leica as soon as I got the Sig.

It says in the description that it does angles and even works with their ballistics app. BTW I figured out why the shipping came up so much, when I put in AZ for Arizona in the shipping it some how took that as the country and wanted to ship it to Azerbaijan. Old farts and computers!
Posted By: 300stw Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/08/19
i lost my crf1200 this year, can hardly stand to be without it, i had no problem getting 900-1000 ranges on deer , i need something to replace it that can range 1000 yards on a deer , what say you guys,,,,
The sale on the Leica CRF-2700B reduced from $799.99 to only $549.99 is the way to go in top quality units
Dayum...Doug is outta control today!
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Dayum...Doug is outta control today!

It's Sunday. If I have to work Sunday I want to be busy and want to hook up everyone I can. Spread the Christmas cheer. smile
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

That's coming up for me at checkout as well, though I haven't pulled the trigger. $315 after tax is pretty tempting.

I got mine ordered with free shipping to my residence as well.
Trying to find a comparison - what is the difference between the 2200bdx (black) and the 2200lrh bdx (fde/green/tan color)
The FDE/tan will show greasy fingerprints easier?.....
Seems 300stw needs one in Blaze Orange, maybe with a bell.😛
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Seems the OP needs one in Blaze Orange, maybe with a bell.😛

Why? I've never lost one...never had one to begin with.

Whoopsie! Thought I was on page 1. Fixed it.

Whoopsie! Thought I was on page 1. Fixed it.

No worries! grin
I recently bought a sig and am amazed at what it will range. Big improvement over my old Bushnell.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by skinner
I recently bought a sig and am amazed at what it will range. Big improvement over my old Bushnell.

Ditto, except I got mine right after they were introduced.
Very pleased so far with the Sig 2200 BDX.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Very pleased so far with the Sig 2200 BDX.

JG,
Have you ranged fuzzy critters with it yet? Like pronghorn size?
Just cows and deer so far. I always figure to take the specs of any rangefinder, and I've owned the Swaro, a couple of Leica's, Leupold, Geovid, and now this Sig.......and whatever the spec's say for ranging animals I take half that number and it's usually really close. Often times it will do better, depending on atmosphere of course.
JG have you used the applied ballistics app in your sig? Not the scope pairing but the ability to input specs of your load into the rangefinder to give you hold offs.
Yes I do use it Alaska. What I like about it is that you input your proven dope into the BDX app, and it spits out the info into the RF and displays it. I like not having to screw around with the dope chart.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/09/19
When I go hunting, everything goes wrong.

BUT, my Leica rangefinders are the exception.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yes I do use it Alaska. What I like about it is that you input your proven dope into the BDX app, and it spits out the info into the RF and displays it. I like not having to screw around with the dope chart.

Awesome. That’s what’s tempting me to get one of the 2200 BDX’s from BP at the sales price, would be nice to switch out bullets and not have to swap out multiple dope charts on the stock. Thanks
I agree Alaska. Keep in mind if you switch bullets that have different dope, you just enter that into the BDX app and make it the active load, so to speak so it will communicate that data to the RF and not any of the other loads you have stored in the app. I think you can store about 15 or so different loads, but only one can be "active" for lack of a better word.
Gotcha, I downloaded the App to check it out before going to Bass Pro and buying it!....grin

Just listed a perfect Kilo 2000 in the classifieds.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...9/sig-kilo-2000-rangefinder#Post14355479
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Best Deals on Rangefinders? - 12/12/19
Just ordered the sig from BP( kills me as I hate shopping there). Been needing a new rangefinder for a long time. Hopefully this one fits the bill

There is a difference between the bdx MR and LRH. Not much but it looks like the LRH is a cabelas exclusive with different reticle and possibly less features. Not 100% positive on that though
I have used a Sig 2000 for several years and have never babied it. It has been spot on. The only gripe that I have had, is the large target circle. My buddy just got one on BF from Cabelas (for just over 200 bucks) and they made the circle a bit smaller in the new ones.

The farthest that I have ranged critters, was a herd of antelope on a snowy background at 780. That is well beyond what I need, anyway.
© 24hourcampfire