Home
Posted By: ringworm Explain this... - 12/05/19
Went to the range and while attempting to zero a rifle found that after hitting 5-6" low andamking a 5" adjustment the POI didn't change .
Took another spin 5" and the POI moved.
Went to make an adjustment right and discovered the dial didn't click like the elevation dial.
VariXIII with a Z prefix.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Explain this... - 12/05/19
Explanation: The scope doesn't work. wink
Posted By: whitearrow Re: Explain this... - 12/05/19
here we go again......along with the loopy haters in awhile.
Big Ed
Posted By: ringworm Re: Explain this... - 12/05/19
But is it something they will fix?
They don't sell the scope any longer, just curious.
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Explain this... - 12/05/19
First in.Leupold...
Posted By: JMUPT Re: Explain this... - 12/05/19
They will fix it or just send you a new comparable model, of course at no cost to you besides shipping it to them. Just my experience from dealing with them.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Explain this... - 12/05/19
So this is the one you were trying to sell? Where did you get it?
Posted By: ringworm Re: Explain this... - 12/05/19
I was selling but I have pulled it since finding out something is wrong. I had it on a 30-30 for a long time. Don't remember where I got it, probably here.
Posted By: BillyE Re: Explain this... - 12/06/19
You might be out of the adjustment range because of a mounting issue.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Explain this... - 12/06/19
Weren't the older vari-x scopes still using the friction adjustments? Could be just a loose adjustment.

Phil
Posted By: ringworm Re: Explain this... - 12/06/19
Not bottomed out and the elevation is clicking fine. There windage it's turning smoothly without clicks.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Explain this... - 12/06/19
Send it in.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Explain this... - 12/06/19
Remove the scope from the rifle. Set the scope on the lowest magnification setting. Stand the scope on a hand mirror. You should see two reticles, one is the reticle and the other a reflection. Adjust the reticle until it is is over the image. If the adjustment is broken it won't track. If it does track, once the image and the reticle are together hold the rear bell in your hand and whack the front bell into the open palm of your other hand and see if the reticle has moved. If the reticle moves every time you apply the lateral shock to the scope after you recenter the scope it's not holding zero.
Posted By: battue Re: Explain this... - 12/07/19
Explain this says the guy who is constantly fooling around with and selling scopes.

Oh will they they fix it? After perhaps reading hundreds of posts on Leupold’s return policy.

What a joke.

Posted By: ringworm Re: Explain this... - 12/07/19
Why is what I sell or not any business of yours?
Stalker.
My " explain" request is to why the windage isn't clicking but the elevation is messed up.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Explain this... - 12/08/19
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Remove the scope from the rifle. Set the scope on the lowest magnification setting. Stand the scope on a hand mirror. You should see two reticles, one is the reticle and the other a reflection. Adjust the reticle until it is is over the image. If the adjustment is broken it won't track. If it does track, once the image and the reticle are together hold the rear bell in your hand and whack the front bell into the open palm of your other hand and see if the reticle has moved. If the reticle moves every time you apply the lateral shock to the scope after you recenter the scope it's not holding zero.

This should be a sticky.

It's not holding zero but it's tracking.
It actually held zero the third time but lost it the first two.
Now if I could understand how the elevation clicks but the windshield doesn't.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Explain this... - 12/10/19
I sent in a Vxlll 1.5-5 I bought in 1982. they sent back a brand new VX3l in 1.5 - 5 send the scope in..........
Posted By: DougD Re: Explain this... - 12/10/19
Yes call them. I just sent them a 2.5x8 Varix III that is 30 plus years old.
Had it back in 3 weeks JUST LIKE NEW !!!
D
Posted By: mathman Re: Explain this... - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
I sent in a Vari-x lll 1.5-5 I bought in 1982. they sent back a brand new VX3l in 1.5 - 5 send the scope in..........

Edit to reflect 1982 vintage.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Explain this... - 12/10/19
My guess is someone sent a friction adjustment scope back to Leupold to install a click elevation turret.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Explain this... - 12/10/19
It's in the mail.
Hopefully they repair since they don't sell a gloss, heavy duplex short tube 1.75-6.
© 24hourcampfire