Home
I'm considering one of these for a new Tikka T3 lite in .308, hunting whitetails and hogs. Terrain ranges from dark hardwood bottoms to wide open clear cuts.

I'm wanting to keep it lite and compact. The weight difference here is negligible imo, only .7 oz, and the difference in length is about .5".

Pros & cons?
I have several of both, if you can swing the 3-10x42 it's more of a good thing... are you thinking 4a ?
Have both and LOVE both. I try and fit my Objective Size to my rifle(Subjective). I dont like to feel like the Hubble attached to the top of a slender rifle. Then again the bigger Scopes feel right at home on a mag contoured rifle.

YMMV
handwerk, I'm not worried about swinging the difference, I'm a little worried the 3-9X36 may be to small? The 4a looks like the one.
I debating between these two as well. Was also looking at plex vs. 4a reticle and it looks like the plex might be better if i want to use the reticle for longer shots (within reason). Looking at the sub tensions on the swaro website it seemed like the thin portion of the cross hair on the 4a was too big to be useful as a sort of single point bdc reticle

Mine’s going on a lite fast twist 22-250
I have had both, and I prefer the size of the 3-9x36. I didn't see much difference optically. It's been awhile, but the 3-9 is light, too.
Prefer The 3-10 With 4A Over Anything I've Ever Hunted With..
Own both. Both are awesome. Not much difference between them. Doubt either one would be noticeable
Bama I'd go with the 42mm then.
Do they both exhibit the same durability?
Originally Posted by shootAI
Own both. Both are awesome. Not much difference between them. Doubt either one would be noticeable

Ditto, but if I were trying to, " keep it lite and compact," I'd just roll with the 3-9x36.
I’ve owned the 3x9. It’s certainly clear. But it leaves a little to be desired in low light. Go for the larger objective.
Hasbeen
Or just jump up to a 4-12x 50mm with BRH Reticle (which I really like). Just got this emailed from MidwayUSA, refurbished for only $749 (2 in stock) - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018122020?pid=350844
Ive Hunted Them For Last 20 Years And Never Had one Fail. But I Do Not Dial. ALL have Held Zero From Year To Year. Like I Said Before I've Owned Most All The Other Brands. And For My Use Nothing Allows Me To Shoot Longer At Dust Or Dawn.. The 4A Is The Best I've Used For Low light Hunting.. I Also Prefer The Older AV's To The New Z3.. I Have Several Of Both And The Cross Hair Wash More in The Newer Z-3..
I also own both of these scopes and I run the 3-9x36 on my sleek Mtn rifles and the 3-10x42 on My Magnums..There is no bad choice here as these are both outstanding scopes......Good luck 👍.....Hb
I'd personally choose the 3-9x36 to go on a T3 Lite. I bought one to go on my Mauser M12 to keep the Euro feel and it is a top little scope. I like the 4a reticle too.
I have a 3-10x42 BRH, that I have never mounted. The BRH would be handy on long shots, something we don't have much of in my part of the country. Great scope, but because of most of my hunting being close range, I may decide to sell it.
Brings nothing to the conversation other than what I already posted.....but this is bringing back memories of LL Bean's 30% off sale. 3-9x36 for sub-$500. I bought two 36's and two '42's. Those were the good ole' days.
Thanks for all the insight ya'll. I went ahead and ordered the 3-9X36 with the 4A reticle. I think it will be a good fit. It can always go on another rifle down the road if need be.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a set of the modified low 1" Talley / Tikka rings from Whittakers. They are sold out and busy. Anybody?
They'll Sure Grow On You...

Attached picture 115158.jpg
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Do they both exhibit the same durability?

If you speak to swaro directly, they will tell you the Z3 line was never intended to be on heavy recoiling rifles. I ran one on a light weight 300 wsm with no issue though. The Z5 has much better internals for heavy recoil. The glass on the Z3s and 5s are unreal. I still have not found glass more pleasing to my eyes. 3-10x42 gets my vote every time and the 4A reticle is the best for hunting. No way you would be unhappy with that setup.
Can't go wrong with either. Personally I like to bump up to the z5's.
I have a Swaro Z3 @ Swarovski right now having the parallax adjusted down to 50yds. Gonna put it in a 22LR. grin Would have liked to go lower, but that's as far as they go. I know, Swaro on a 22LR - overkill, but what they heck, loonies gotta be loonie!

Back on topic, I have several Z3s. Awesome glass. The Z3 was my introduction to the Swaro world. Since then the number of Swaro's I own out numbers any other brand 2-1. As another poster states, the ZZ (and up) are better suited to heavy recoiling guns, or those with a sharp or snappy recoil. The higher end (Z5 - up) have a much more robust erector. Some will never have a problem with the Z3 and recoils. Others will piss and moan because the Z3 they have on their XXX 'loud-n - boomer' failed on them XX times, even though they may have been forewarned.
I have the Z3 3-10x42 on my 7mm-08 and the Z3 3-9x36 on my 223 Rem. Great glass, very glad I was "talked" into them. Lightweight, clear, sharp, bright, trackable... absolutely no complaints with either one.
I have the Z3 3-10x42 on my Sako 85 Finnlight 7mm-08 and 30-06 both with the BRH, just mounted a Z3 3-9x36 on my Tikka 338 Federal it gives that rifle a nice balance. Lightweight and bright they are great scopes.
I mounted the Z3 3-9 X 36 in Talley Lows last night. Ended up being a good fit for me. A little lower might be better. I'd still like to try the modified Talleys if Whittaker's runs some more one day.

Had a great trip to the range today. Took 2 shots at 50 yds, made an adjustment, and shot 3 factory Hornady 150gn Interlocks into a tiny little group @ 100 yds. Not quite .5 moa, but close. Never even knew I could shoot like that! grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice looking rig, you mount your scope way further back than me.....Enjoy!....Hb
© 24hourcampfire