Home
Posted By: ringworm What Scopes after the purge? - 12/11/19
So let's say you have a dozen Leupold Scopes on hunting rifles.
Capped dials, half gloss, mix between older VariXiii and New vx3.
If you decided that week springs, imprecise adjustments , ect, ect were a hassle and you sold them all...
What would be the next step. Given the accumulated funds from selling , what comparable brand and line would give you the same power range, finish, warranty but better compared to Leupolds faults?
American made holding a priority.
This very thread is running in the Campfire forum.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...w/1/whats-replacing-your-leupolds#UNREAD
A lot of people switching to European glad, 30mm tubes and 2X$ isn't really comparable.
Originally Posted by ringworm
So let's say you have a dozen Leupold Scopes on hunting rifles.
Capped dials, half gloss, mix between older VariXiii and New vx3.
If you decided that week springs, imprecise adjustments , ect, ect were a hassle and you sold them all...
What would be the next step. Given the accumulated funds from selling , what comparable brand and line would give you the same power range, finish, warranty but better compared to Leupolds faults?
American made holding a priority.

First of all I don't switch them out unless they are a problem. One very reliable VX3 sits on a McWhorter 7mm08, and another VX6 sits on a Tikka 695 7Mag that's been to Africa a few times, Sonora MX a few times, etc. That being said, I've topped rifles lately with a Meopta Meostar, Bushy LRHS, SWFA HD, and a very reliable (with superb glass) Tract Toric UHD 3-15x.
Second that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I see no reason for changing out a scope unless it no longer fits the function of the rifle.
I think part of this discussion has to be about mounting systems.

Are you open to using rails and pic rings?

If so, you don’t need to own 1:1 scope to rifle.

A handful of great glass can cover many rifles
blah blah blah for the 100th time
When you purge the pos Leupolds, pls put them in classified here
Ringworm: You are a joke, right?
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have had very good luck with certain Models of Minox scopes. Not dialing them but they adjust to POI hold zero, and are clear and light.
Posted By: TX35W Re: What Scopes after the purge? - 12/12/19
Def put them in the classifieds!!!!
I'll take any of the offending Leupolds that need to be purged.....any size and shape. It's the least I could do for a pal....
I have had good luck with the the VX3 series as long as they are set-and-forget; dialing- that's a different story. I have a menagerie of replacements.
I have two safes full of rifles wearing all iterations of VX2s and VX3s dating back to the '70s. Never had a single hiccup. There will be no purge.
If you think you have a good Leupold try it on a 222.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Not sure what you mean...
rookie
I consider the scopes you have to be some of the best for the price range, if you want a step up in quality from what you have and American made is a priority i would suggest Nightforce 👍.....Good luck...Hb
I'm a set and forget guy so the problems real or imagined aren't a problem for me.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: What Scopes after the purge? - 12/13/19
WTF? I own Ziess, Nightforce, Schmidt Bender and all my Leupolds hold their own with the rest.
Posted By: GeoW Re: What Scopes after the purge? - 12/16/19
Originally Posted by rookieatbest
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Not sure what you mean...
rookie

Same here. Must be a rookie too smile
Just picked up a Kahles Helia 3-9x42 multizero. 14 ounces and dialable. 6-8 years ago I would have just bought a Leupold with an M1 or CDS...
© 24hourcampfire