Home
Posted By: High_Noon Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
I wanted to get a compact binocular for my daughter (9 yrs old). I was thinking Nikon Tavel Light or Pentax or Bushnells. She's used my better than decent Pentax 10x40 DCF WPs and my compact Minox glass many times to look at the moon, when we camp, looking at targets when she shoots .22s, out on the ranch looking at game and stuff, etc., so she knows what decent glass looks like. I mentioned this to my Mom, who said not to buy her anything b/c she & Dad had several in the closet. So I looked. They had two brand new, off brand, compact binoculars that sucked, an old 7x35 Tasco set that was horrendous and a set of Jason 7x35 Fast Focus binocs. that were ok. I looked further and in the back of the closet I found a set of old porro prism Bushnell 7x35 Insta Focus binocs., but no case and no strap or lens caps. They were fairly dirty, but they are actually fairly decent binocs. I cleaned them up and was a bit surprised just how decent they were. + they are a good size for her - not exactly compact, but definitely more compact than my Pentax 10x40 DCF WPs.

So here's the delima: I need to get her a case, a strap and probably some lens caps. Once I do that, I will likely approach or exceed the cost of a decent vintage pair of these which include all the accessories, which range from about $20.00 - $100.00 on flea bay (I could reasonable expect to spend ~ $30.00 or a bit less on these accessories + shipping and tax). Then again, they're my Dads, so maybe it's worth it for the sentimental value, but probably not... So should I purchase the accessories for the 7x35 Bushnells or should I just follow my original plan and get her a good used compact Nikon, Pentax or Bushnell?

Any other suggestion on a decent used binoc. for under $50.00?
Posted By: RICKMELEAR Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
After being there and done that, I would error on the high dollar side. Lots of great at under $500. By once, cry once.. Nothing to turn a child off worse than bad optics.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
RICKMELEAR: Thanks for the response. While I agree with you regarding bad optics, & while I appreciate your experience, I'm not prepared to spend close to $500.00 on binocs for her.
Posted By: bdan68 Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
Kowa 6x30's. You won't regret it. If you look around you can get them for $100.

https://www.kowaoptic.com/optics-ra...s/687/kowa-6x30-yf-porro-prism-binocular
Posted By: SKane Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
Originally Posted by bdan68

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
bdan68 & SKane: Thanks. I'll take a look at Kowa.
I found the Kowa 8x30s for less than the 6x30s. Do y'all recommend the 8x30s as well?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
Leupold 6x Yosemite. Easy peasy. Beauty is she’ll be able to get the eye pieces close enough to actually use them.

And you’ll likely “borrow” them. 😉
I've never tried the 8x30's but I have a feeling that I wouldn't like them as much as my 6x30's. They're so easy to look through and easy to hold, even with just one hand. I think the 6x30 would be especially good for a 9 year old.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
No, the 8x30s are not comparable - and little hands start seeing image shake with the higher power. On the other hand 6x30s are so good you will want to "borrow" them from her!

I've bought the Yosemite 6x30s for my grandkids and they are great. The Kowa 6x30s have had many favorable reviews on this forum. I'd get the one I could find at the best price.
Yeah, the Yosemite's are essentially the same as the Kowas or maybe even identical, I'm not sure anymore. Midway has the Yosemite 6x30 on sale for $95.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...0CdHJXoOdSp_2SnLZpmqcLmfo1IaAh7GEALw_wcB
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the info.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
I have a set of the Leupold 6x30's for my daughter who is also 9yo. They work great for her. I got hers from a fellow Campfire member a couple of years ago.

From all I have read, the Kowa's are the same unit with different badging.

You should reach out to Doug @ CameralandNY and see if he has the Kowa or the Leupold 6x30's. If anyone can make you a deal before Christmas, he would be the guy!
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
She'll love the Kowa 6x30's. Great optic
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
Originally Posted by bdan68

Same here, got 2 sets of them for my kids. My 10y and 9y had no problem with them, great FOV and clear. At high noon I hardly noticed any difference with my 10x43 DCF SPs.
They fit my 6yo and 3yo hands and faces too, but I don't trust their judgement on optics, just yet.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
I started my girls on the Yosemite 6x30 years ago and they performed perfectly. Not expensive, fairly robust, surprisingly good glass and super easy to use.
The only bummer about the Yosemite’s is the eye cups don’t like to stay out. Easy fix, especially when you have a daughter.

Extend the eye cups, then take a hair band and wrap it twice in the “gap” between the cups and the body.

Problem solved.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
Another vote for the Yosemite. I tried them for myself to use hunting in the woods after hearing so many good things on here. They aren't my MeoStar HDs, but for 1/10th the price I'm amazed by their quality.
Thanks again fellas. I sent Doug a PM regarding both the Kowa & Yosemite 6x30s.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
Get the Kowa
That's what Doug said.
Posted By: tomk Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
Kowa...and then start saving for her next bino when she starts identifying game before you can....:)
Posted By: Dre Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
I think vortex has 8x32 diamondbacks HD, under 200.
Worst case scenario you end up with decent light weight binocs
I have the old version of the Yosemite 6x made before quality supposedly went down. I use them a lot. We also have the Pentax Papilio. The kids prefer the Pentax. Those will be more useful to her for what you describe.
How are the other Kowa models, anyone?
tomk: She can already do that. She's a little Eagle-Eye.

Dre: the Diamondback HDs look good, I will consider them, though they're nearly twice the price of the Kowas.

urbanerualite: That's good to know about the newer Yosemites and it doesn't surprise me that the quality is not what it used to be. I did find a set of Pentax Papilios, but they seem to be primarily an "extremely close-focusing" set of binos, though I'm sure they work well for other purposes. The best price I've found on the Papilios is equal to that of the Kowas, so I'm leaning towards the Kowas, especially since they're highly regarded here on the 'fire.
Posted By: tomk Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/22/19
Grinning. Well, don't her started too soon on glass attributes--she will come by that soon enough on her own...

Went through three for daughter #2 from little girl up and then Swaros for a wedding gift...worked out pretty well.

Good luck to you and daughter, High Noon
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/23/19
tomk: Thankyousir. I'd say Swaros are a pretty danged nice wedding gift - sure hope she got a new rifle outta' the deal as well. wink
Posted By: Dre Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/23/19
High noon. maybe don't have to buy new, but it was an idea as Id get little better now. buy once, cry once
Dre: Yep. I've been looking at some used glass on flea-bay. I think what I might do is pick a few options (including the 6x30 Kowas) and explain the pros & cons of each to my daughter and see what she says.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/23/19
Cabela's has Vortex Diamondback 10x42's for $130. I don't own a pair (I used Leupold Pinnacles 10x42) but all the guides use them out west where I was hunting. They are 24 oz. I believe. I have a pair of 8x30 Steiner Rally's for about 30 years that I use for turkey hunting, they are a good piece of glass. Ask Doug for a price on 6x30 and 8x30's Steiners. A bud has a pair of the 8x30 Yosemite's and loves them. Good luck!
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/23/19

Get the 6x30 Kowas. I didn't like looking through the 8x30's as much. More narrow field of view, and the higher mag didn't appear to be as sharp. As other members have said, the 6x has less shake and will be easier on the eyes for longer glassing periods.

The current generation Yosemites are NOT the same bino as the 1st gen Yosemites. According to another website, the former Leupold engineer that has the patent on the design of the original Yosemite binos is now working for Kowa, and the patent went with him. Hence the YF series were introduced.
Posted By: tomk Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/23/19
Sako 76 this is no slam--just bring up a point on the larger objective glass.

Perusing various websites on bino topics am amused to see the amount of angst shed by adults over the size and weight of a 10x56 bino or the bulk of a Canon 10x42 stabilized.

A 42mm bino on a harness across the chest of a nine year old is going to seem to be a lot of equipment. The controls on binos with larger objectives along with their additional weight forward are significantly more to handle when yer hands are 1/2 half the size...:)
Posted By: 16bore Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/23/19
Don’t forget interpupillary distance, which is more important for little faces than anything. Even adults. Before I got the yosimites for my daughter I bought a pair of 12X50 Vortex just for us to watch animals with. Either one of us could get the eyepieces close enough to see a good picture.
Duly noted, but she's the second tallest in her class - there's only 1 boy who is slightly taller than her. She's gotta' be nearly 5' tall. She has also handled my Pentax 10x40 DCF WPs many times and she does quite well with them, but I agree that they're a bit big and heavy (relatively speaking) for her. Regarding interpupillary distance - she's had no issue with any of my "adult" glass - we've always been able to adjust them properly, so no problem there. I think she could easily handle an 8x30 or 8x32 like the Nikon Prostaff, Nikon Monarch or the Vortex

Of course, I could always give her my 8x33 Minox compacts (which she likes) and then purchase 10x42 (or maybe 8x42) Meopta MeoStars, Leica Trinovids, or the more reasonably priced Nikon Monarchs or Meopta MeoPros for myself. grin

After all, she's getting a heck of a lot of other loot for Christmas.

Edit: Yep, she's 5' tall.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/23/19
Shameless plug for the 8x32 Minox I have in the classifieds
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Shameless plug for the 8x32 Minox I have in the classifieds

I'll take a look.
33rcm: Your Minox look great. I'll give 'em some thought.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/27/19
ok. So I showed my daughter the Kowas (online), my compact Minox, the old Bushnell 7x35s I have (that were my Dad's) and a few others that were online. I briefly went over the relative strengths and weaknesses of each (I didn't want to bore her too much). She liked the old Bushnells best. When I suggested that the Kowas would be better, she wouldn't have any of it and said she liked the old Bushnells + they're a good size for her and the magnification is low enough that it will allow her to get a steady image. So, for now, that's that. Perhaps when she's a bit older, she'll be ready for better glass.

Last week, I ordered and today received an original case for the Bushnells that is in near perfect condition and I found 3 lens caps - I need to find another and I need to get a neck strap for the binos for her. I found a pretty decent, padded Bushnell neck strap for $5.00 that I will get her.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions. I appreciate your responses to my inquiries.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/27/19
I wish we could “pick” things as easy now as it was when we were kids. Corlokts? Well of course. I want all my ammo boxes to be the same color.

If you’re legs have never fallen asleep while looking at a Shooters Bible on the toilet, you just can’t call yourself a looney.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Binos for my Daughter - 12/27/19
I try not to sit on the commode for any longer than it takes to do my business, but I have fallen asleep perusing that particular publication. Does that qualify?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Binos for my Daughter - 01/31/20
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Get the 6x30 Kowas. I didn't like looking through the 8x30's as much. More narrow field of view, and the higher mag didn't appear to be as sharp. As other members have said, the 6x has less shake and will be easier on the eyes for longer glassing periods.

The current generation Yosemites are NOT the same bino as the 1st gen Yosemites. According to another website, the former Leupold engineer that has the patent on the design of the original Yosemite binos is now working for Kowa, and the patent went with him. Hence the YF series were introduced.

Just got a set of these in the mail today, good little set of binos. Really like them....
© 24hourcampfire