Home
Posted By: erich Leupold Compact scope ? - 12/29/19
I picked up a nice little Sako Vixen and it came with this scope 2-7 Compact on it. I thought it was a little too much scope for calling predators but had a heck of a time finding a 1-4 that would fit it without having to use taller rings. I have put the 2-7 back on as it seems like it was just designed to work with this action. Did Leupold ever make a compact 1-4? Any other insights into this scope?

[Linked Image from ]

Even a Varix-II 1-4x20 looks large on this rifle and needed taller rings to mount, a Weaver V-3 wouldn't clear the bolt handle with low rings and those are the only two I could find with small ocular housings.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/BH8AGG.jpg
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Leupold Compact scope ? - 12/29/19
I believe they made a 2-1/2X and a 4X compact. The 1-4x is basically already a compact. I guess the eyepiece is a little bigger, maybe?? But the 2-7X looks right at home.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Leupold Compact scope ? - 12/29/19
Yep, the 1-4x is basically already a compact. It has a straight tube and weighs around 8.5 ounces.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I believe they made a 2-1/2X and a 4X compact. The 1-4x is basically already a compact. I guess the eyepiece is a little bigger, maybe?? But the 2-7X looks right at home.

They did make a 2.5 compact and they are sweet.
Posted By: erich Re: Leupold Compact scope ? - 12/29/19
The 1-4x20 may be a smaller scope but the ocular housing is nearly 1.5" and the compact 2-7 is slightly over 1.25" that is enough to allow lower rings. Looks like the 2-7 is going to be as small as I can go on this one. I did find another 2-7 just incase as I doubt Leupold would repair it and have nothing now to replace it.
I have had several 2-7 Compacts and they are good scopes. Typical of Leupold, they are not for dialing but had one on my 30-06 that was my main hunting rifle for 20 years. I don't remember ever having to change anything since the original zeroing. Decided to "upgrade" and go to a 3-9 Ultralight a few years ago. Big mistake, the 2-7 was much easier to get behind and I never noticed any appreciable difference optically. Still have one on Mrs Blacktailer's Kimber and it is not going to change.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Leupold Compact scope ? - 12/30/19
Originally Posted by erich
I picked up a nice little Sako Vixen and it came with this scope 2-7 Compact on it. I thought it was a little too much scope for calling predators but had a heck of a time finding a 1-4 that would fit it without having to use taller rings. I have put the 2-7 back on as it seems like it was just designed to work with this action. Did Leupold ever make a compact 1-4? Any other insights into this scope?

[Linked Image from ]

Even a Varix-II 1-4x20 looks large on this rifle and needed taller rings to mount, a Weaver V-3 wouldn't clear the bolt handle with low rings and those are the only two I could find with small ocular housings.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/BH8AGG.jpg

Thats a great looking gun.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Leupold Compact scope ? - 12/30/19
I have all the compact scopes that Leupold makes ( or made), 2.5x, 4x, 6x, 2-7x, and 3-9x. And I have a Sako Vixen too. You have picked the scope that fits the needs you described best. The only other model worth considering that I have found are the Burris compact 3-9, but it is discontinued, and higher power than you want. I had a 1-4x Leupold, and yes, the ocular bell is larger, and not quite as nice a fit. Enjoy your 2-7!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold Compact scope ? - 12/30/19
I think you've got just about the perfect combo. Don't futz with it.

Vixens are wonderful rifles. Wish I still had mine, even though it was a somewhat less desirable Garcia import.
Posted By: lotech Re: Leupold Compact scope ? - 12/30/19
I still use three Leupold 6x Compact scopes that I bought twenty or maybe thirty years ago. They continue to work very well and hold zero, but I've never liked the friction adjustments. I thought these scopes depicted a great image when I bought them, and perhaps they did, but to compare them with a much newer 6x36mm or 6x42mm Leupold shows the old Compacts to be a bit lacking.
© 24hourcampfire