Home
Posted By: irfubar Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
I have a question for Swarovski binocular owners regarding the warranty. I have a pair of SLC8x30 that quit focusing.
I pulled them from my pack in a padded case one day while hunting and they wouldn't focus. They had never been dropped or abused.
I sent them in for repairs. They sent me an estimate to repair and claimed the internal prisms are damaged and the bino's will need to be rebuilt.
Estimated cost $450.00. How can the internal prisms be damaged? they have never been dropped and the exterior shows no abuse.
What kind of warranty is this? Is this normal?
If this is normal for Swarovski , is it normal for other manufacturers? If not who has the best warranty?
I have never had to send bino's back for repairs. I have sent many scopes in of various brands and never been charged.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
You do not say but are the original owner? Did you ever register the purchase with Swarovski? Were they bought in the USA from an authorized Swarovski dealer?
Posted By: GregW Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have a question for Swarovski binocular owners regarding the warranty. I have a pair of SLC8x30 that quit focusing.
I pulled them from my pack in a padded case one day while hunting and they wouldn't focus. They had never been dropped or abused.
I sent them in for repairs. They sent me an estimate to repair and claimed the internal prisms are damaged and the bino's will need to be rebuilt.
Estimated cost $450.00. How can the internal prisms be damaged? they have never been dropped and the exterior shows no abuse.
If this is normal for Swarovski , is it normal for other manufacturers? If not who has the best warranty?
I have never had to send bino's back for repairs. I have sent many scopes in of various brands and never been charged.

Welcome to the club...
Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
Doug,
Thanks for responding. I am not the original owner. I did contact them and had the bino's registered in my name when I bought them. I was under the impression they had a lifetime transferable warranty.
It is a 10 year warranty on the unit and a lifetime warranty on the interior optical element
Posted By: GregW Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
Doug,
Thanks for responding. I am not the original owner. I did contact them and had the bino's registered in my name when I bought them. I was under the impression they had a lifetime transferable warranty.

Doesn't matter. Happened to me three times. All bins I bought. Said the same thing as they said to you. Mine were more expensive to fix. I quit them years ago...
Thanks again Doug,
They claim the internal prisms are broken?
Seems that would qualify as interior optical element.
I will call them and argue.
But it appears these may be worthless.
So that leads to my next question, is this the industry standard?
Who has a better warranty.
Seems to me optics without a good warranty is a risky gamble
Originally Posted by GregW
Doug,

Doesn't matter. Happened to me three times. All bins I bought. Said the same thing as they said to you. Mine were more expensive to fix. I quit them years ago...

Thanks Greg for the input. Wish I would have known this before wasting my money on Swaro's. The fanboys never seem to mention this crap.
The higher end optics companies do not offer the "No Fault" warranty of the Pacific Rim manufactured brands. Reason being is it costs a great deal more to make a Swarovski or Leica then it would in a production line in China.
The only exception to this is Steiner who does have a no questions asked warranty
Posted By: 1minute Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
Gold Ring Leupolds. I'm the third owner on a spotter. Sent it in on Monday, and had it back on a Friday with a new front end. No charges
So if I want a good warranty I need to buy Japanese? how about GPO? how is their warranty?
GPO is no fault lifetime
Posted By: Judman Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
Meopta Brian
Originally Posted by Judman
Meopta Brian

Funny thing Jud , the Meopta's were at the top of my list , then a fair deal on these popped up here on the classifieds, I fell for the brand name. I am kicking myself
Ok , so GPO or Meopta's ? what's the consensus?
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
Going off other Campfire member recommendations, and if you are not stuck to the 30mm class objectives, I would also consider Tract Toric binos. I have several of their scopes (Toric, Tekoa and Turion) and think VERY highly of the brand.

Not sure if you are looking at Meopta MeoStars or MeoPros...I have a set of 8x32 MeoPros and my only complaint is the fast / touchy focus wheel. Love everything else about them. Just something to be aware of if these are on your radar.

I have a set of pre-SV Swaro EL 8.5x42's that I think highly of but I have not had to deal with any warranty issues.

I have no experience with the GPO's.

If I were buying another pair of quality binos, I would be leaning towards the Meo's or Tract.
War_ Eagle,

I have considered the Tract Toric, I have heard nothing but good about them, but I am now spooked by warranty issues, basically, will they be around in 10yrs.

Just got off the phone with Swarovski, they told me the inner prism's are cracked. I am the only one who uses these binoculars and can guarantee you they have not been dropped or had an impact of any kind. They have absolutely no external sign of damage.

They will not warranty the internals, so the lifetime warranty on the internals is a lie!!!! basically the warranty is worthless.

In my opinion they are a shyster company now. Fanboys beware you will get burned... just don't brag up your overpriced garbage to the rest of us.....not impressed

I would also like to thank GregW for being honest, upfront and helpful, I wish I would have read his thread before purchasing such garbage.
We’re they broke when you bought em? If not how long have you used em?
Jud,
This is my third season with them. The roughest treatment they have seen was last year on a horseback elk hunt, when the horse trotted they bounced around pretty good on my bino harness,

I keep them in a soft case in my daypack surrounded by gloves, jacket etc... I pulled them out of the pack the other day on a wolf hunt and they wouldn't focus.
Yep I’d pissed too...
The warranty is only as good as the company standing behind it..... Swarovski will not stand behind their warranty ....
Posted By: aalf Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
Well that blows.....

My original set of 8x30's had to go back due to one barrel fogging up on an Alaska hunt. Call them when I got back and told the gal that this was supposed to be the reason I didn't buy the 50 dollar blister pack binos.

She said "In a perfect world, you'd be right"......

They fixed me right up ASAP.
I should have them send them back and tear them apart, I would bet money they have no cracked prism's. The glue that holds them in place probably gave out..... junk
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
I remember GregW telling me about his Swaro CS problems. I 100% believe him, as I totally trust him and his experiences. I have no reason to doubt you either OP. I've had Swaro bino's for years, and currently use a 10x50SV. I have dropped mine in the sand a couple of times over the past several years, and have sent them back to Swaro to clean the sand out of the moving parts twice during that time. They've never charged me anything, and they come back as new. That is the puzzling thing after hearing you guy's bad CS stories.

Irfubar, if in your shoes I'd be pissed too, big time. Also, to attempt to answer your question, If it were me I'd start over with Meopta Meostar HD's, mainly because they are so superbly built I don 't think you could tear one up even if you tried. I love the Toric's I had, but I did send them back once for fixing the eyecups that wouldn't stay up. Superb optics though.

If you're after usable optics, backed by companies that absolutely will take care of any problems no matter what, a guy is left choosing between Athlon, Vortex, Leupold, or maybe another I can't think of right now.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

If you're after usable optics, backed by companies that absolutely will take care of any problems no matter what, a guy is left choosing between Athlon, Vortex, Leupold, or maybe another I can't think of right now.

GPO, Steiner, Bushnell, Athlon, Vortex, Leupold & Burris
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

GPO, Steiner, Bushnell, Athlon, Vortex, Leupold & Burris

He just said he wasn't sure if the new guys would be around in 10 years. That includes GPO, and I can't think of one Burris bino I've ever even seen, anywhere.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/17/20

If you are the second owner how do you know if they've never been dropped?

My experience and observation of others with Swaro is they stand behind their workmanship, but the warranty says abuse isn't covered.
Posted By: Santiam Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
Well, I thought their warranty service was pretty darn good when my brother left his on the side of the pick up and ended up driving over them and breaking them in half...I thought they were toast for sure..Sent them in and waited for the bad news..

The repair estimate was $150.00.. Labor free,parts at discount...Near as we can tell they just took his glass and placed then in a new housing. They came back just like brandy new..

Impressed me!!
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
What kind of warranty is this?

I had always heard to ignore the warranty, from friends and others, as Swaro NA would basically make things right regardless of the warranty. Guess that isn't true. Or something changed at the service center.

I was impressed with their service when my LRF leaked. They even sent me a loaner while mine was getting fixed. And they basically rebuilt the sucker, with new glass. It looked like new. In hindsight, maybe all this fell under the 10 yr limit.
Posted By: GregW Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

If you are the second owner how do you know if they've never been dropped?

My experience and observation of others with Swaro is they stand behind their workmanship, but the warranty says abuse isn't covered.

Do you work for Swaro? Things have changed since your guiding days...

I didn't abuse my three sets of bins either....

Originally Posted by Santiam
Well, I thought their warranty service was pretty darn good when my brother left his on the side of the pick up and ended up driving over them and breaking them in half...I thought they were toast for sure..Sent them in and waited for the bad news..

The repair estimate was $150.00.. Labor free,parts at discount...Near as we can tell they just took his glass and placed then in a new housing. They came back just like brandy new..

Impressed me!!

When was this?
This deer season.. Run over them in October..Got'em back in December
Thanks...

Swaro better get their crap straight. There's a lot of fantastic options out there right now.
Posted By: SLM Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
Must be hit and miss. Sent some 15’s in last year that took a tumble, replaced all 4 lenses and focus wheel for $125.

Thought that was more than fair.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13097116/1
I'm not a hater or a fanboy of anything. Here's my experience for context.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
Interesting the comments, seems Swarovski is all over the map on this..... I can only relate what happened to me today... A $450 bill to repair bino's that are going for $500 on the used market.

As to the comment by Alpinecrick they worked fine for 3yrs then schit the bed after a month in my pack. They have not been dropped by me and show no signs of ever being dropped.

Maybe the bean counters had a meeting and this is the result?
Interesting the comments, seems Swarovski is all over the map on this.

Maybe the bean counters had a meeting and this is the result?

Yes. They better be careful...
I'd call an independent repair facility for a second opinion, or quote for diagnosis. I couldn't bring myself to pay $450 to repair those old 8x30 SLC.
So the next question , should I request they be sent back and pass them along with full disclosure of the issues? maybe the next guy will have better luck with the warranty? My gut tells me no! not fair to pass the problem to somebody else.

Should I get them back and tear them apart and see that they lied to me?

Pay the ransom then sell them to the next victim?

WTF is wrong with Swarovski?
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I'd call an independent repair facility for a second opinion, or quote for diagnosis. I couldn't bring myself to pay $450 to repair those old 8x30 SLC.

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't realize independent repair facilities existed . Do you have any you would recommend?
Tough call, $450 takes you a long ways towards new glass.

So the next question , should I request they be sent back and pass them along with full disclosure of the issues? maybe the next guy will have better luck with the warranty? My gut tells me no! not fair to pass the problem to somebody else.

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't realize independent repair facilities existed . Do you have any you would recommend?

Unfortunately not, in terms of firsthand experience.

However, I bet you'll get some good advice with a new post asking for suggestions. And I'd be tempted to call Cory Suddarth as I've heard good things about his work.
Originally Posted by SLM
Tough call, $450 takes you a long ways towards new glass.

Exactly...... I also don't want to give Swarovski a nickle at this point....

I am frustrated , I sold a pair of Zen Rays that were optically superior to get the Swarovski's, because I thought if I had a problem they would take care of me.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20

Do you work for Swaro?

No.

Things have changed since your guiding days...

That would be in the last four years. About the time I last had dealings with Swaro's stellar service. Maybe somebody can chime in with their Swaro experience in the last four years.

As we say on the 'fire--some people can break an anvil..........

There you go........
Gave my kid a pair of the Zen Rays and they are great. He could destroy an anvil and they’ve held up well.

They are disposable at this point.

Like mentioned above, Swaro better pay attention in today’s market.
Interesting story, about ten years ago I was at the Safari Club convention and had dinner with a hunting show host. One of his sponsors was Swarovski, he told me when his show was cancelled Swarovski wanted everything back, bino's, spotter, cases, everything.... I thought that was odd and so did he as they had several years of wear & tear......
Cheap bastards
Originally Posted by SLM
Gave my kid a pair of the Zen Rays and they are great. He could destroy an anvil and they’ve held up well.

They are disposable at this point.

Like mentioned above, Swaro better pay attention in today’s market.

Swarovski's are disposable also

There you go........

Fanboy alert.....
Posted By: handwerk Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
Huh, maybe another phone call to swaro would get more traction?
Although I've not needed much, every time I sent a swaro scope or binos in to be cleaned or checked out their CS was fantastic.
Maybe their over the top CS has caught up with them and they are needing to stick closer to their true warranties?
I am frustrated , I sold a pair of Zen Rays that were optically superior to get the Swarovski's, because I thought if I had a problem they would take care of me.

Sorry to hear about this, especially since there is SO much praise for Swaro. My Swaro LRF fogged up, and it lived a fairly sheltered life as well. I've heard that Swaros are delicate, as Brad mentioned, from several people. Never thought much about it.

Didn't want to kick salt into a wound, but was going to say that there are probably several $450 binos that would be better than those old 8x30 SLC. In fact, my 7x36 Zen Ray ED2 completely smoked my SLC 8x30 in every way. I sold those Swaro as they did nothing better than the Zen Rays. Exterior build quality might have been better on the Swaro, but given your experience...
The upside to all this is I will do business with one of our great sponsors in the future..... Doug @ C.L.
The upside to all this is I will do business with one of our great sponsors in the future..... Doug @ C.L.

My brother picked up some Meopta Meopro's open box from CL waiting for his Swaro's to get fixed...At that time we didn't even know if they could be fixed and there was still lots of hunting to do..

We are completely underwhelmed by the Meoptas..The focus wheel just don't seem to work right and you are always fiddling with it while glassing.. Very annoying ... You were talking about Zen-Rays...I have a set of ED 3's that blows the Meoptas out of the water..Far closer to the Swaros than the Meopros..

I wouldn't recommend going that way..

Bought my 2nd Gen 7x30 SLC's brand new in 1991. In 2010 I noticed the Dreaded Crystals forming. Called Swaro. They said "We know all about it, send them in." The binos came back entirely updated to 4th Gen Neu style with new housing, eyepieces, new focusing parts, latest dialectic coatings on the prisms, new coatings on the lenses, new armor. For free.

In 1995 bought a pair of 1st Gen 8x30's at a bar in Chama, NM for $200. The 1st Gen are not nearly as good as the later generations, they're not even waterproof. A few years ago the focusing became rachety and I sent them in. Four days after I mailed them I got an email from Swaro laying out my options: They would "restore them to their original condition free of charge but this generation is not up to current Swarovski standards." Or they would entirely update them with the current coatings and new, improved prisms with the Neu housing and eyepieces, and armor. For $500. Last I had known a full update had been around $300. I called and asked why so much more and CS said the update now includes new improved prisms. So I laid my credit card on them.

I have compared my updated 7x30's and 8x30's to lots of binos since, and in the 30-32mm and 20 oz class it is only the 32mm EL/Ultravids/Victorys that beat them. And they are as good as some of the well regarded 2nd tier 42mm binos I've compared them too. I would have to spend $1800 or more to improve what I have for my primary hunting binos. Although I've been told the new Kowa 33mm's are probably the equivalent of the European alpha 32mm's.

I have had nothing but honest dealings with Swaro and people I know have had nothing but honest dealings with them. If Swaro says a pair of their used binos have cracked prisms I find it ridiculous to believe they are lying.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
I had the SLCneu 8x30 that was made in 2008 and it had all the latest greatest coatings available on that model. I also had the Cabelas Euro 8x32HD at the same time and thought the Euro's to be slightly superior so I kept them and sold the Swaro's. High class glass is very subjective.

There you go........

Fanboy alert.....

Lets review.....

--You buy a used pair of binos but somehow you know they have never been dropped, hit or plum abused.

--Your binos are currently residing in Rhode Island but somehow your long range coast to coast x-ray vision can see the prisms are not cracked but instead the glue has come loose.

--You have amazing god-like extra-sensory perception.

How am I doing.......?
I had the SLCneu 8x30 that was made in 2008 and it had all the latest greatest coatings available on that model. I also had the Cabelas Euro 8x32HD at the same time and thought the Euro's to be slightly superior so I kept them and sold the Swaro's. High class glass is very subjective.

As Shrapnel once posted to the effect "It depends on what we had for breakfast as to which of the alpha glass is best that day."
Casey,

Glad that you brought this up, as I bought the SLCneu in 2010 with the latest internals at that time. Then, Swaro was providing free upgrades. I suggested that my buddy get his upgraded, for free, but he never did it. I also had a lot of time behind the Swaro LRF, which is basically 1/2 of the binos.

Perhaps it's just my perception, but Swaro NA customer service seemed awesome in 2010 - 2014. And as recently as 2018, I had good experiences with them. I asked for a price on 8x25 eyecups, and they sent them for free.

Jason

I have had nothing but honest dealings with Swaro and people I know have had nothing but honest dealings with them. If Swaro says a pair of their used binos have cracked prisms I find it ridiculous to believe they are lying.

Swarovoski told me both prism's are cracked..... yet the right barrel focus's fine the left barrel won't focus.... and what are the odds of both prism's being cracked?

There you go........

Fanboy alert.....

Lets review.....

--You buy a used pair of binos but somehow you know they have never been dropped, hit or plum abused.

--Your binos are currently residing in Rhode Island but somehow your long range coast to coast x-ray vision can see the prisms are not cracked but instead the glue has come loose.

How am I doing.......?

Now I understand why so many people think you are a douche bag......
Oh and douche bag alpincrick, in case you missed it I used the used bino's for 3 seasons before they chit the bed. I stated clearly that while in my possession they were treated with great care.
So $450.00 to repair a $500 bino is no warranty at all.
This is the worst I have been burned on optics and I have owned a fair amount.
Thanks fanboy

Do you work for Swaro?

No.

Things have changed since your guiding days...

That would be in the last four years. About the time I last had dealings with Swaro's stellar service. Maybe somebody can chime in with their Swaro experience in the last four years.

As we say on the 'fire--some people can break an anvil..........

Glad it hasn't happened to you. I know all we can go by is our own experience with certain brands, companies, people, etc. but I hope you're not as arrogant as you come across in an immediate dismissal of things that happen to other folks just like yourself, who spend [bleep] tons of fine looking through glass taking care of their gear.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
Wouldn't you think that just eating the cost of fixing these binos, Swaro would be better off than the negative publicity that a thread like this causes?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20

As Shrapnel once posted to the effect "It depends on what we had for breakfast as to which of the alpha glass is best that day."

The single best bino I've ever looked through, period, end of story was the 8x32 Nikon EDG. Ergos were perfect for me, best focus mechanism on the planet, unbelievable flat field glass. Too bad Nikon is the worst marketer to ever appear in the optics market.
Johnny thanks for your input here. I value your point of view. I have heard great things about the Nikon EDG and have good luck with their scopes, how is the warranty? also heard Nikon is getting out of the scope business, does that include all sport optics, like bino's?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20

There you go........

Fanboy alert.....

Lets review.....

How am I doing.......?

Now I understand why so many people think you are a douche bag......

Casey, show them your super hero cape. 😎
Bro, sorry for your troubles on your alpha glass. I’d be picking up meopta meostars glass. 😎

Edited....From Doug. Grins
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Bro, sorry for your troubles on your alpha glass. I’d be picking up meopta meostars glass. 😎

Thanks brother Beav...... It seems many share your recommendation, crazy part is they were #1 on my list until a "deal" on the Swaro showed up.....
I am really tempted to get the Swaro trash returned and tear them apart to prove Swaro and Casey a liar....

The single best bino I've ever looked through, period, end of story was the 8x32 Nikon EDG. Ergos were perfect for me, best focus mechanism on the planet, unbelievable flat field glass. Too bad Nikon is the worst marketer to ever appear in the optics market.

JG,
Until the STX came along a EDG 85mm spotter was the best spotting scope I had ever looked through. I have been told the EDG binos were probably a bit better than the European alphas but have never had the opportunity to look through any of them. The EDG line seem to be pretty much ignored by the hunting and birding fraternity it seems.

Thanks brother Beav...... It seems many share your recommendation, crazy part is they were #1 on my list until a "deal" on the Swaro showed up.....
I am really tempted to get the Swaro trash returned and tear them apart to prove Swaro and Casey a liar....

Who am I to question your god-like qualities..........

Carry on.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
I Hate to hear a bad experience on this.

My one and only experience with their CS was good. They cleaned an old Habicht rifle scope for no charge . There was debris inside causing the picture to be grainy.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
I hate to hear this, all of my CS experience with them has been outstanding but I haven't sent anything to them in several years.

If they're cheapening out then they're cutting their own throats, word of mouth from many folks who have had outstanding customer service from them over the years has sold a LOT of swarovski products. If they throw that away then they're no better than the rest and aren't worth the premium price that many, including myself, have paid for their good name.

I hope swarovski is watching this thread.
Posted By: wdenike Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
Trust me this thread will get noticed. The dealers that sell them couldn't be stupid enough not to pass it along to the bean counters. How they respond is yet to be seen. I for one will be watching. Because I just purchased a brand new 10 x 56SLC. Not necessarily just to have Swarovski but everyone's eyes are different. And my eyes prefer a bigger field of view and plenty of light. So I decided to go with what I thought would be the absolute best in the industry. Time will tell.

Take care, Willie
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
Based on your story, IMO Swarovski should fix the binos at no charge to you.

Glass as expensive as Swaros should be bulletproof against any normal, day to day hunting environment.

Stories like this push me personally towards brands like Vortex.

There you go........

Fanboy alert.....

Lets review.....

How am I doing.......?

It doesn’t matter if they were previously dropped or not. If the exterior is in good shape and showing no signs of gross deformation, I.e. they don’t look to have fallen down a mountainside, Swarovski should be giving them at no charge. 1st owner, 2nd owner, doesn’t matter.
Update, I called customer service and argued my case. They said of the $450 rebuild estimate if I didn't want the lenses replaced that would take $150 off.

So they want $300 to repair the prism's, I argued those should be covered under warranty, the binoculars show no sign of external damage and I know for a fact they have not been dropped during the 3 yrs I have owned them.
The C.S. rep said he could knock 20% off of that. So now I am at $260 for basic repairs. This is still a difficult decision for me as they failed under normal conditions, what if they fail again? another $260-$300 for repairs?

So I made some progress. But I have lost confidence in the product and company.
Update, I called customer service and argued my case. They said of the $450 rebuild estimate if I didn't want the lenses replaced that would take $150 off.

So they want $300 to repair the prism's, I argued those should be covered under warranty, the binoculars show no sign of external damage and I know for a fact they have not been dropped during the 3 yrs I have owned them.
The C.S. rep said he could knock 20% off of that. So now I am at $260 for basic repairs. This is still a difficult decision for me as they failed under normal conditions, what if they fail again? another $260-$300 for repairs?

So I made some progress. But I have lost confidence in the product and company.

Brother Irfubar, my opinion is only what I would do....Fix them, sell them, and by a pair of MeoStars and never look back.
GW went through 3 pairs of Swaros. They fail again, you’re gonna throw them down a mountain.
Might as well get some cash for them and go a new direction. 😎
Good advice , thanks Beav
In case you missed it earlier...

...I'd be tempted to call Cory Suddarth as I've heard good things about his work.

...I'd be tempted to call Cory Suddarth as I've heard good things about his work.

Thank you 4th point,
I did visit his website....
And that is a possibility

Thank you 4th point,
I did visit his website....
And that is a possibility

Good luck, whichever way you go.

If you do speak to him, it might be worth asking about general construction of different brands for your next purchase.

When I was working for a commercial contractor, we had a fair amount of power handtools repaired. Very enlightening to talk to the dudes that see and repair everything. My friends and co-workers were usually diehard Makita or Dewalt fans. Hilti for certain things. Repairman dispelled a lot of myths and claims by brand loyalists. Maybe Cory can shed similar light onto the bino world?

Jason

Casey, show them your super hero cape. 😎

It doesn't work on adults throwing temper tantrums.........

Swarovoski told me both prism's are cracked..... yet the right barrel focus's fine the left barrel won't focus.... and what are the odds of both prism's being cracked?

The odds are good you bought a pair of binos with both prisms already cracked. The view was probably degraded a bit and the binos being new to you it was hard to tell. I don't know if you knew the seller, or if the seller knew something was wrong or unwittingly sold them to you with the prisms cracked. I also don't know if the binos sat in a controlled environment for while before being sold or if the seller unloaded them as soon as he figured out something was wrong.

But with use, and exposure to temperature differentials the cracks in the prisms--or cracks in one of them--almost certainly propagated to what you have now. I don't know what you originally paid for the binos, but $260 for what will be a still an upgraded 30mm SLC will net you far more bino than most 30-32mm binos under $1000. Pay the $150 for new lens and coatings and it will make the bino even better.

You are getting a very good deal from Swaro for binos you bought used and were most likely already damaged--and Swaro is even willing to work with you. Kudos to Swaro.

Also, it's a really bad idea to go to a second party repair shop.

I hope you make the right decision.

When I was working for a commercial contractor, we had a fair amount of power handtools repaired. Very enlightening to talk to the dudes that see and repair everything. My friends and co-workers were usually diehard Makita or Dewalt fans. Hilti for certain things. Repairman dispelled a lot of myths and claims by brand loyalists. Maybe Cory can shed similar light onto the bino world?

Jason

So true.
Just because one manufacturer makes the best particular tool, doesn't mean all their tools are the best--Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, Hilti, Pansasonic, Porter Cable, Hitachi, etc, all have good tools and junk tools.

Just because one model line of optics have a very good specific model, doesn't mean all the other magnifications in that model line are the best. The 8x32 Ultravids are the best 8x32's to my eyes, but the 10x32 EL's are better than any other 10x32 I've looked through.

The odds are good you bought a pair of binos with both prisms already cracked. The view was probably degraded a bit and the binos being new to you it was hard to tell. I don't know if you knew the seller, or if the seller knew something was wrong or unwittingly sold them to you with the prisms cracked. I also don't know if the binos sat in a controlled environment for while before being sold or if the seller unloaded them as soon as he figured out something was wrong.

But with use, and exposure to temperature differentials the cracks in the prisms--or cracks in one of them--almost certainly propagated to what you have now. I don't know what you originally paid for the binos, but $260 for what will be a still an upgraded 30mm SLC will net you far more bino than most 30-32mm binos under $1000. Pay the $150 for new lens and coatings and it will make the bino even better.

You are getting a very good deal from Swaro for binos you bought used and were most likely already damaged--and Swaro is even willing to work with you. Kudos to Swaro.

Also, it's a really bad idea to go to a second party repair shop.

I hope you make the right decision.

Aside from a manufacturing defect, how would prisms crack and the exterior of the bino show no sign of damage?

These are supposedly the very best binos, designed for serious hunting and outdoor use,

For the price charged they should be able to stand carried any fits bed in the field and extremes of temperature. If they can’t handle some time in the field and done cold or hot weather, then regardless of optical quality they are unfit for use as a hunting optic.
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/18/20
I've sent two different sets to Swarovski over the years. First was a pair of 10x40 SLC's that needed a little refreshing (2nd owner), was free of charge. 2nd pair was a pair of 8x30 SLC's that looked liked they'd been to hell and back that I picked up off of ebay for 250.00, figuring it would cost me a few hundred for repairs. Basically sent back a new set, free of charge (that was about 5-6 years ago).
Originally Posted by Tannhauser

Aside from a manufacturing defect, how would prisms crack and the exterior of the bino show no sign of damage?

There is a lot of stuff that can be dropped and broken without signs of damage--I have a Makita hammer drill that did just that.

These are supposedly the very best binos, designed for serious hunting and outdoor use,

For the price charged they should be able to stand carried any fits bed in the field and extremes of temperature. If they can’t handle some time in the field and done cold or hot weather, then regardless of optical quality they are unfit for use as a hunting optic.

If lens or prisms, or a myriad of other parts are already damaged--like a windshield--cracks can and most likely will propagate. That's simple common sense and experience.
Without a valid warranty it seriously lowers the value of something like a binocular, scope etc..... Swaro was suppose to be high value and quality....It seems they have decided to become a disposable junk company....

With the no external damage present policy they have adopted they no longer have to honor any warranty claim.... they can simply argue, you abused the product....
This is what people have/had come to expect from Swarovski.

Guessing it’s also part of the reason they have had to walk back the warranty.

Originally Posted by 69sportfury
2nd pair was a pair of 8x30 SLC's that looked liked they'd been to hell and back that I picked up off of ebay for 250.00, figuring it would cost me a few hundred for repairs. Basically sent back a new set, free of charge (that was about 5-6 years ago).
Originally Posted by SLM

2nd pair was a pair of 8x30 SLC's that looked liked they'd been to hell and back that I picked up off of ebay for 250.00, figuring it would cost me a few hundred for repairs. Basically sent back a new set, free of charge (that was about 5-6 years ago).

Maybe so, but that policy is what made them a giant in the optics industry. And Leupold and more recently Vortex....
Without a valid warranty it seriously lowers the value of something like a binocular, scope etc..... Swaro was suppose to be high value and quality....It seems they have decided to become a disposable junk company....

With the no external damage present policy they have adopted they no longer have to honor any warranty claim.... they can simply argue, you abused the product....

Swarovski warranty has never covered damage from accident. Cracked prisms don't crack from use--they crack from impact.

Swarovski warranty has never covered damage from accident. Cracked prisms don't crack from use--they crack from impact.

Again at Swaro's discretion any warranty can be deemed invalid.... prove them wrong!

Again at Swaro's discretion any warranty can be deemed invalid.... prove them wrong!

True of any warranty by any company. But cracked prisms are a very good indication of an impact--which is not covered under Swaro's warranty or most other manufacturers warranty.
Agreed.

Tough time to be in the optics industry, great time to be an optics consumer.

Originally Posted by SLM

Maybe so, but that policy is what made them a giant in the optics industry. And Leupold and more recently Vortex....
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
The higher end optics companies do not offer the "No Fault" warranty of the Pacific Rim manufactured brands. Reason being is it costs a great deal more to make a Swarovski or Leica then it would in a production line in China.
The only exception to this is Steiner who does have a no questions asked warranty

Which is why I’m only going with optics that carry a No Fault warranty. I can’t see paying the top end prices for glass I feel the need to treat with kid gloves lest something go wrong and find myself needing to shell out substantial money.

True of any warranty by any company. But cracked prisms are a very good indication of an impact--which is not covered under Swaro's warranty or most other manufacturers warranty.

Vortex would cover it with zero questions asked. You could drop a pair of Razors off a mountainside and they’d be covered. Your truck could catch fire with your binos inside and they’d cover them. Go watch their Instagram feed. They are constantly showing examples of glass that was damaged or virtually destroyed that they cover. And they’re happy to tell everyone they’ll cover virtually anything.
Doug,
Educated me a smidge with his explanation that tier 1 manufacturers of alpha glass typically don’t provide 100% repair or replacement of a product outside their specified no-fault warranty time frame.

Doug’s explanation made sense based on the higher expense to manufacture an alpha product...

With this information, it may lend to looking for a product and manufacturer who’s products are made to withstand above normal use or as some would call, abuse that an optic may be subjected to. Thinking Nightforce, here.

Fragility isn’t anything I’m interested in after reading this thread. Unfortunately, I likely have a stable full of fragile optics owning Leica, Zeiss and Kowa for glassware.

Question to GregW:
What’s your feelings on build strength of the MeoStar bins? Glass I know is excellent. I’m asking for your impressions on ruggedness of the internals and housing protection.

😎
Agreed Beav, my focus has shifted also. We are learning this lesson with rifle scopes, hence the popularity of Super Sniper. I think it may be time to shift our focus with bino's and to a lesser extent spotters.

Tough durable and good optics... we wan't it all. I would rather have durable and good resolution than the best resolution and fragile, especially if they won't warranty them anymore.

I think of bino's as a long term item. Maybe I am out dated in todays disposable society..... I am feeling like a damn dinosaur
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
Agreed Beav, my focus has shifted also. We are learning this lesson with rifle scopes, hence the popularity of Super Sniper. I think it may be time to shift our focus with bino's and to a lesser extent spotters.

Tough durable and good optics... we wan't it all. I would rather have durable and good resolution than the best resolution and fragile, especially if they won't warranty them anymore.

I think of bino's as a long term item. Maybe I am out dated in todays disposable society..... I am feeling like a damn dinosaur

I completely agree on taking good and durable/warranty vs. best but no warranty and told to pound sand if there’s a problem.

Quality glass is a big investment for me. I can’t afford to be shelling $1000+ on glass only to need to replace or spend a big chunk on repairs. If optics can’t handle field use then no matter how good the glass they’re of no use to me.
Posted By: nuguy Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
Anyone here have same warranty issues with Meopta as some here have had with Swarovski binoculars?
Posted By: GregW Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20

Question to GregW:
What’s your feelings on build strength of the MeoStar bins? Glass I know is excellent. I’m asking for your impressions on ruggedness of the internals and housing protection.

😎

Just finished Year 2 with 12x and 15x Meopta averaging about 60-80 days in the field a year, each. I'm on Year 4 I think of the S2. No failures thus far on bins. They have been treated just like the Swaro 15x failures I have had, 3 in the past 5 years. Padded case in pack, to tripod, back to padded case. No fall events, no nothing but technicians observed impacts to the body of the bins not covered by warranty ( nothing visible to me on the outside until the interior fogged up), and a $500 bill every other year on average.

I've used the Meopta warranty 1 time in 4 years and it's not been their bins. After an epic hunt in the dust storms of caliche dust NM, (ehh Clint) I had my 82mm S2 power knob spin in circles. Nice Meopta lady said send the whole thing in. I did. 7 days later I called to see if they received it/status update, the same nice lady said I should be in receipt of a package the next day or so. I was. It was a brand new eyepiece and body. The body wasn't messed up, it was just scratched and beat to piss. I got free of charge a new eyepiece and body, no questions asked. This was 3 years ago. This is my only experience with Meopta CS. But it was pretty good. Just sharing my experiences.

YMMV...

Posted By: GregW Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20

How do you explain the folks who had free stuff when they ran their bins over with a truck? Google it a bit. It's everywhere, even on this thread. Do a bit of research, if you want....

You're not the only fish in the bowl who has been out a lot on this site. Just because your experiences differ don't make it how it is. You should know that by now...
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20

I've used the Meopta warranty 1 time in 4 years and it's not been their bins. After an epic hunt in the dust storms of caliche dust NM, (ehh Clint)....This was 3 years ago.

I'm still farting dust.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
I"m a self professed optics junkie.....I love trying out different optics and have been doing so for years now. The two very best binos I've ever owned or used, from a toughness/build quality standpoint with great optics are the older Leica Trinovid BN/BA, and the Meostar HD's. The Meostar HD's are just as tough and rugged and better optically, IMHO.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
I generally buy Swarovski or Leica. I have been leaning to Swarovski because they had better customer service. So is this true? Is Leica better or worse on warranty service?
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20

How do you explain the folks who had free stuff when they ran their bins over with a truck? Google it a bit. It's everywhere, even on this thread. Do a bit of research, if you want....

You're not the only fish in the bowl who has been out a lot on this site. Just because your experiences differ don't make it how it is. You should know that by now...

Buying second-hand, 10-15 year old damaged binos, throwing a Epic Whine Fest when the manufacturer won't repair them without a fee, and accusing the manufacturer of a Vast Conspiracy as though prisms just explode into a mushroom cloud all by themselves. Not even happy when Swaro offers to work with him on the price of repair.

Google that and tell me what the results are........

Even when run over by a truck, Swaro is willing to work with the customer.........

Impressed me!!

Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20

Buying second-hand, 10-15 year old damaged binos, throwing a Epic Whine Fest when the manufacturer won't repair them without a fee, and accusing the manufacturer of a Vast Conspiracy as though prisms just explode into a mushroom cloud all by themselves. Not even happy when Swaro offers to work with him on the price of repair.

Even when run over by a truck, Swaro is willing to work with the customer.........

Impressed me!!

Think of it as public service announcement...... Swaro WILL weasel out of their end of the warranty ! I understand alpinecreek you are a fanboy and your worth is based on possessions you own.
For normal people who work hard for their money they do not like to be lied to and cheated..... and their possessions do not define them.

Tell us more about your amazing $500 dollar Swaro's that are now as good as $1800 glass because you sent them in..... Bwahahahahhaa you define fanboy... pathetic

Of your 23,000 post the only thing before this I recall is you claiming to shooting dozens of elk with a 243..... that's it, no cool pictures, no cool rifles etc...... simply a fool bragging he used a marginal weapon on a majestic game animal.

Your reputation is well deserved......
Originally Posted by Terryk
I generally buy Swarovski or Leica. I have been leaning to Swarovski because they had better customer service. So is this true? Is Leica better or worse on warranty service?

Worse. In the past much worse. Doug has mentioned several times Leica is attempting to improve. With apologies to Doug, Leica has said that before. I'm taking a wait and see approach. Having said that, a Leica RF is on my short list. If you buy Leica, buy it from Doug, CameralandNY has the chutzpah to get the manufactures attention........

Swarovski made an effort to have a significant presence in North America, and 15+ years ago built a full blown repair center with the ability to repair all of the products sold in North America and some of the their European products. After the war, Swaro started an update program in part to distinguish themselves from Zeiss and Leica. When possible, Swaro will replace older optics with newer, improved parts and in some cases (such as the 30mm SLC's) design and manufacture improved parts when they run out of the old parts. I don't know of any other foreign optics manufacturer that has the former on the scale that Swaro has, or does the latter.

If you want a No Fault, No Whine warranty, buy Vortex, Athalon, and maybe a couple others.
If you aren't on Swaro's payroll you should be..... holy crap

Impressed me!!

Think of it as public service announcement...... Swaro WILL weasel out of their end of the warranty ! I understand alpinecreek you are a fanboy and your worth is based on possessions you own.
For normal people who work hard for their money they do not like to be lied to and cheated..... and their possessions do not define them.

Tell us more about your amazing $500 dollar Swaro's that are now as good as $1800 glass because you sent them in..... Bwahahahahhaa you define fanboy... pathetic

Of your 23,000 post the only thing before this I recall is you claiming to shooting dozens of elk with a 243..... that's it, no cool pictures, no cool rifles etc...... simply a fool bragging he used a marginal weapon on a majestic game animal.

Your reputation is well deserved......

Show me where the warranty covers damage by the customer.

And it's only 5 elk I've personally killed with a 243, the other 4 dozen have been with a slingshot........
The point is the mythical damage you speak of is determined by Swaro..... despite zero evidence.... the fact you can't see a problem with that speaks volumes about you..... and your character
The point is the mythical damage you speak of is determined by Swaro..... despite zero evidence.... the fact you can't see a problem with that speaks volumes about you..... and your character

The "mythical" damage occurred will be determined by ANY manufacturer a person sends their optics to for repair, you idiot.

You have yourself worked into such a toddler-like rage you can't even think straight.

Geez........

Edited to add:

I'm still waiting for you to show me where the warranty covers damage by the customer.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20

Impressed me!!

THIS... They have ALWAYS been ABOVE and BEYOND customer service for the last 40 years I have dealt with them through 6 pairs of binos and 10-12 scopes that I have owned. If I ever had a problem they were on it...
Posted By: WAM Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
I like good optics as much as the next guy and trust Doug to steer me in the right direction for things that I’m not sure of. He sold me Leica binos and a Leica Visus scope that I’m very satisfied with and it didn’t hurt that they were on sale. I have a Leica 1000-R rangefinder that I’ve had for 7 years (?) that has served me well. I’ve also never ever had a Burris product fail and I have several. Kahles is pretty spiffy glass, too. They fixed a sticking power ring for free on an older Helia C although it had to go back to Austria for repair. I only paid shipping and insurance to the US facility. Everyone that I know (small sample) that has Swarovski optics has been uber satisfied so far. I think sometimes we tend to attempt to pick the fly schit out of the pepper. Happy Trails

The "mythical" damage occurred will be determined by ANY manufacturer a person sends their optics to for repair, you idiot.

You have yourself worked into such a toddler-like rage you can't even think straight.

Geez........

Edited to add:

I'm still waiting for you to show me where the warranty covers damage by the customer.

This is kinda like the FBI investigating themselves..... nothing to see move along...
Integrity matters..... too some

Still waiting for the report on the Swaro warranty.

For your optics education, I can tell you most optic manufacturers have very similar warranties other than the previously mentioned outfits.

Meanwhile, Carry On.........
I understand most optic companies have similar wording in their warranty..... the point you keep ignoring is the integrity of the company to stand behind the warranty.
I am through trying to explain it to you... you seem too dense or have an agenda to understand.

The curious thing is why are you so determined to defend Swaro? the fanboy must be a powerful emotion for you....
Curious how these fairly substantial chunks of glass could crack with no visible external signs of an impact? hmmm could the manufacturer be makin schit up? who benefits? hmmmm

Oh and both of them cracking no less... what are the odds.... I smell bullshit

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swaro's warranty does not included repairing 10-15 year old damaged binos for free. Never has.

It was your Epic Whining, the ignorant accusation of Swaro "not living up to their warranty" when their warranty never has stated such is what started this to begin with.

Unreasonable expectations result in unreasonable behavior--it's a trait for some folks..........

It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, I would say the same thing.
Curious how these fairly substantial chunks of glass could crack with no visible external signs of an impact? hmmm could the manufacturer be makin schit up? who benefits? hmmmm

Exactly. They don't suddenly both crack by themselves. Visual damage on the exterior has never been a requirement to break something internally--people who have worked outside of an office understand that.
Ok again so everyone can be aware Swaro's warranties are not transferable...... for some people.... for some it is transferable, sorta.... ok , it was until it wasn't.

And if they have to make up stuff like cracked prism's to get out of it that's ok....... world class policy they got goin on.... hahahahaha

"A lifetime warranty on internal optical element" wink

Exactly. They don't suddenly both crack by themselves. Visual damage on the exterior has never been a requirement to break something internally--people who have worked outside of an office understand that.

I spent my working life repairing things and in customer service..... nice try... swing and a miss
Why couldn't they just tell me the glue that holds the prism's in place failed? ooh I know they don't want it getting out their world class optics are glued together... Bwahahahahhaha
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by WAM
I like good optics as much as the next guy and trust Doug to steer me in the right direction for things that I’m not sure of. He sold me Leica binos and a Leica Visus scope that I’m very satisfied with and it didn’t hurt that they were on sale. I have a Leica 1000-R rangefinder that I’ve had for 7 years (?) that has served me well. I’ve also never ever had a Burris product fail and I have several. Kahles is pretty spiffy glass, too. They fixed a sticking power ring for free on an older Helia C although it had to go back to Austria for repair. I only paid shipping and insurance to the US facility. Everyone that I know (small sample) that has Swarovski optics has been uber satisfied so far. I think sometimes we tend to attempt to pick the fly schit out of the pepper. Happy Trails

Dude, Can’t you read? Your post is like someone who ambled into traffic and fell down, on purpose, just begging to get hit....

We have a disagreement taking place about Swaro CS only...Sheesh!

😬😜😎
Originally Posted by WAM

Dude, Can’t you read? Your post is like someone who ambled into traffic and fell down, on purpose, just begging to get hit....

😬😜😎

Right Beav.... for a minute I thought maybe Hanco hi-jacked WAM's account.... smile just kidding guys....

My whole point that I have been trying to communicate in this thread (and not doing it well) is , what about the working guy with a young family, mortgage etc.?.. saves his lunch money to get a pair of famous Swarovski binoculars, he can't swing the new cost so he opts for used believing he will have the best and be taken care of...... only to find out he fell for marketing hype and alpincricks fanboy club bullshit? And his dream bino's are half of what he thought they would be..... and to ad insult to injury , due to change in warranty policy his bino's have lost much of their resale value.....

I understand why a company in today's competitive market would have a hard time maintaining lifetime warranty, hell they have been in business forever and must have a mountain of repairs to do every day.
Cuts into the bottom line for sure. Also understand how a European company , due to high tax's labor etc.... has a hard time competing with Asian markets.... but I believe the fact is Swarovski has created an image of being the best and charging top dollar because of it.

I also understand how the Asian suppliers can simply replace faulty optics rather than repair due to cost.

That being said, I also believe the mark up on an Alpha optic is huge.... as in big enough to warranty the over priced product they sell. Part of what you pay for is top service.

I am curious why alpinecrick is so emotionally invested in defending them?

Oh and by the way the fictional blue-color guy I referred to is not me...... I can afford the best..... so maybe Casey is right about something, i.e. I am whining....... smile
Posted By: nick54 Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
I am, was that guy irfubar describes with young family and mortgage prostituting myself out with side jobs to buy swarovski el binos about 15 years ago. I watched that brand increase in price almost 10 percent a year retail no matter what the economy was doing. Finally squeezed the trigger and purchased. I hope Doug will inquire about customer service at shot, maybe set us straight. I have seen more issues with swarovski like Greg and irfubar than the no hassle others have had. Cleanings and adjustments are lifetime? I sent mine in for cleaning and I knew I had a scratch in objective, doesn't effect use, but they never offered me a price until after I called. My buddy sent identical binos in same week, he trashes stuff, got a complete rebuild and glass replacement etc for nothing? We are one year apart on serial #s. It's scary when a group of us has over 25k in swarovski optics in a truck. The brand loyalty was there, but it's frustrating not knowing when you ship to SONA. But, I did get the rain protector for eyeguards I never use and a chicken chit fortune cookie piece of paper advising me not to clean lenses with liquid based products (which I've never done) for free😀
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
I’m one of this guys who are saving my money to buy optics, and I will not be buying “Alpha” glass. PacTim glass can be very good, and they aren’y so proud of their products that they don’t fix them if they break,
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
Did they actually want you to pay the $450.00 or did they give that as an "estimate" only? I've sent binos back to Swarovski for repair and they sent me an estimate, but never once tried to collect other than for scratched lenses that I knew going in I would have to pay to replace. Several times the binos showed up on my doorstep within a couple of days of receiving their estimate.

I used to buy and sell a bunch of used optics and Swarovski's customer service was second to none.
It was an estimate and I had to make payment before they would service them. They also informed me I had 30 days or they would send them back.
Posted By: WAM Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by WAM

😬😜😎

Sure thing! If you scroll back a few posts you’ll see others commenting on various other optics. LOL!

Say, how do you determine what is ground pepper and what is fly schit?

I have been known to ramble incoherently but you can bet it’s not from being a fanboy or opining repeating someone else’s drivel.

Happy Trails. 🤣🤣🤣

But I enjoy your posts immensely.. they are usually entertaining or funny.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/20/20
Curious how these fairly substantial chunks of glass could crack with no visible external signs of an impact?

I've heard rumors of "cold shock", but primarily related to Kowa fluorite crystal. Never experienced it with any of my optics.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/20/20
Curious how these fairly substantial chunks of glass could crack with no visible external signs of an impact?

I've heard rumors of "cold shock", but primarily related to Kowa fluorite crystal. Never experienced it with any of my optics.

I could buy that, but wouldn't that be covered with a warranty?

Also it hasn't been that cold this winter
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/20/20
I have considered a Swaro scope but this forum has convinced me to pass for various reasons.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/20/20

I could buy that, but wouldn't that be covered with a warranty?

Also it hasn't been that cold this winter

People claim hot truck to cold ambient, or maybe versa vice. Seen it mentioned several times, but always seems to be a Kowa.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have considered a Swaro scope but this forum has convinced me to pass for various reasons.

Exactly why they would have been better off just fixing them and eating the cost.
More will feel the same as you do.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/26/20
Well, did you pay it?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/26/20
They make fantastic costume jewelry and crystal figurines. I bought a Z5 2 months ago, I had no where close where I could actually compare it. My last Meopro was just as good for my purposes.

I would not pay them 450 to fix the binos. I would however point them to this thread and tell them to GFT.

Doug, you left out Zeiss I have a set of FL's that have a lifetime fully transferable warranty.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/26/20
I have had nothing but good results from SONA CS.
Own a pair of Swarovski 8x20B CL Pocket binos, bought second hand, and lost one of the rubber eye cups. Call Swaro CS and they said they would send me one or I could send them in for a checkout, no charge. Said their turnaround was 4-6 weeks that time of year coming in to hunting season. So, I sent them in. These had some scratches on the bridge and I put a note in asking if they still had the nice carry cases available to buy. The binos were back at my door in 8 business days looking like new including replacing the scratched parts; free 2 day return shipping. And; they included a brand new case at no charge.
That's Great service!
Posted By: broomd Re: Swarovski warranty - 01/31/20
Swarovski is one of, if not the finest optics company on the planet. Call me a fanboy, honestly don't g/a/s. I like Leica and Zeiss as well, but neither can touch Swaro for best of the best with optical "pop" and overall service.
I've had many of Swaro's scopes and binoculars, love playing with alpha glass....they go above and beyond to take care of the customer. But they aren't fools and won't always pay for everything especially customer abuse. There are exceptions:
Couple of years ago I purchased an ATX 95mm spotter, the alpha beast.... When it arrived the modular eyepiece was literally rattling in pieces. I wasn't happy with the prior owner, a guide. He had sold the optic as 'perfect.' The front sunshade threads were dented and I suspect that he had dropped it dislodging the e/p prism. He never disclosed that.

Long story short, I sent it in to Swaro...was charged $50 for the front sunshade, but everything else was gratis. That included a whole new prism assembly and a new eyepiece lens. The repair had to be done in Austria, but the wait was worth it.
The prior owner came through for me and paid for everything which really wasn't much..amounted to initial shipping and the $50 sunshade repair/replacement.

An honest estimate for that kind of repair on a $4400 optic should have been more like $600 imho. hell, the shipping to Austria and back had to be expensive.

They are one helluva company and the 'satisfied customer' stories out there are countless.

Posted By: 65BR Re: Swarovski warranty - 02/07/20
So Zeiss has a solid warranty? What about Leica - good stuff to know.

Are the Z3 scopes made in USA under the same warranty?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 02/13/20
Bump
Posted By: RICKMELEAR Re: Swarovski warranty - 02/13/20
My only experience is with a 8X30 SLC that I bought new in 1990. I sent them in around 2008 for a cleaning and to have the end caps replaced. I received a pair that I would have never recognized. New armor, new lenses, completely updated and with a viewI wouldn’t have recognized. I was charged $22 for new caps. I have no experience with Swarovski scopes but I will never buy any other binos than
Swarovski
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Swarovski warranty - 02/13/20
Bump

So what was the verdict? Did you pay the $450 (or however much) service estimate? Just wondering how all of this shook out now that we are almost at the 1 month mark.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 02/13/20
I negotiated a 20% discount, paid them and haven't heard a word since......
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Bump

So what was the verdict? Did you pay the $450 (or however much) service estimate? Just wondering how all of this shook out now that we are almost at the 1 month mark.
Posted By: 805 Re: Swarovski warranty - 02/14/20
Just mailed off my 10x42 SLC today for a cleaning/tuneup. Was a simple 5 minutes on their service website. Always had A+ service from Swarovski.
Posted By: powdr Re: Swarovski warranty - 02/15/20
Until they make one better than a Schmidt & Bender...I'm not interested either. powdr
Posted By: stantdm Re: Swarovski warranty - 02/15/20
I have a pair of 7x42 SLC binos I bought in 1986 or so. New from Cabela's. Sent them in 4 years ago for a cleaning and got them back with a new lens on one side, new armor, even with a new nameplate. They were just like new binos and the cost was zero except I paid the shipping to send them in.

In reading this thread I wondered if part of this problem was being a second owner? I was told by the salesman at Cabela's that Swarovski would not honor warranty work if you were not the original owner and had registered them at the time of purchase by filling out and returning the registration form. I know you were able to register your used ones and I know that they don't warranty abused breakage. At the time I got mine, they had an identical pair in the bargain cave for $200 off the then $1000 price tag but those had no registration card in the box. I went with the new ones simply to get the warranty.

Like some others my experience with Swarovski CS was great. They must have either changed the business model for CS or they have personnel who think these were damaged by some abuse. As someone else suggested just get them fixed for the $260 and sell them.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Swarovski warranty - 02/15/20
This has been an interesting read.

Brian, sorry to hear about the bad luck. That does sound pretty weak on Swaro's side.

FWIW, alpinecrick is a liberal tard poser. A two faced bitch.

Several years ago I bought a new pair of 8x42 SLC's. Used them for a couple years and the focus wheel always bothered me. Ever so very slightly sticky at a certain spot so I got the 'bright' idea use a little silicon spray grease on the spot in suspect....

Bad idea!

The 'focus wheel' got really funky and I had to send them in...

Fixed for free along with a nice letter informing my dumb ass that "please do not attempt to lubricate the bino's by yourself"....

They said it in a nice way.

That said, going by your and Greg's deals I won't be buying anything from them in the future.
Posted By: 805 Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/12/20
Just an update.
Got my SLCs back this week. New armor on them, replaced the focus mechanism( which was the reason I sent them in), replaced a prism and cleaned them internally and externally. Also gave me new eye cups, eye piece cover and lens covers. Free of charge!!
I will always own Swarovski optics.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/12/20
My SLCs are coming back tomorrow from a focus wheel checkup and general inspection. No charge and I was not the original owner. The only charge I have ever seen was for a crushed scope tube, which was understandable. I haven’t sent allot in but I’ve been impressed with their service. You are kept in the loop. E-mails are returned, and can speak to a knowledgeable person. I appreciate that they will go above in coverage but also like that they do put limitations on it.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/12/20
$ 250.00 and 6 weeks later got them back, in the meantime bought a pair of used Nikon moanarch IV here on the classified for $175.00. When the Swaro's arrived I compared them, the Nikons are clearer.... fug me
Posted By: Judman Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/12/20
You gonna trip the swarovskis Brian?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/12/20
You gonna trip the swarovskis Brian?

Yes Jud, just haven't got around to it.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/12/20
I still have the first real bins I got from my folks as a gift almost 30 years.....Nikon Windjammer 7x50

The glass in them are better than most bins in the $500 dollar range. Not that surprised the Monarch’s you bought are nice.

😎
Windjammer 😂😂 never heard of em mark. Remember the Jason autofocus? I remember thinking they were the shiit!! Haha
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/12/20
Originally Posted by 805
Just an update.
Got my SLCs back this week. New armor on them, replaced the focus mechanism( which was the reason I sent them in), replaced a prism and cleaned them internally and externally. Also gave me new eye cups, eye piece cover and lens covers. Free of charge!!

Why did they repair yours for free but charge irfubar $250?
After several pairs of their glasses and a lrf, the only time I’ve use the warranty was on the lrf. Went haywire, called em, they overnighted me a loaner, fixed mine for free and we traded back after huntin season. This was 5-6 years ago
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/12/20
Windjammer 😂😂 never heard of em mark. Remember the Jason autofocus? I remember thinking they were the shiit!! Haha

The Windjammers have the auto-focus. Loved it. Couldn’t find auto-focus for many years until I stumbled across Steiner Police bins.

Bought them...Glass sucked. Sold them. Now, I slum Zeiss glass. 😂😎
Jason’s were cool, then I bought a set of Steiner bighorns, boy I thought I was in high cotton!!! 😂😂
Posted By: 805 Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by 805
Just an update.

Why did they repair yours for free but charge irfubar $250?

Not sure but I’ve sent my SLCs in 3 times since I’ve purchased them usually just for a cleaning and I’ve never been charged. They also have upgraded the prisms and eye cups the time before this. Never been charged for anything.
Posted By: WRO Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/13/20
$ 250.00 and 6 weeks later got them back, in the meantime bought a pair of used Nikon moanarch IV here on the classified for $175.00. When the Swaro's arrived I compared them, the Nikons are clearer.... fug me

LOL, I'm sure they are.. wink
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/13/20
What is a Nikon Monarch IV ?????
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/13/20
Well hell, I probably will get whipped for this but I alway employ strategy with CS of finding a V.P. who is a woman and generally hope that contact is during that time of the month where she is particularly angry. I act extremely genuine and offer her platitudes about her product and explain that there has been a miscommunication. Believe it or not stuff gets done if you do this. This will work with SONA.
Nikon monarch HGs are extremely good binoculars. I would believe them to be optically better than swaro slc 8X30 classics-HGs have field flatteners and the SLCs do not.

I have found that Swarovski is the best product out there. However, with optics there is a great deal of subjectivity because everybody has a different set of eyes.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
My SLCs are coming back tomorrow from a focus wheel checkup and general inspection. No charge and I was not the original owner. The only charge I have ever seen was for a crushed scope tube, which was understandable. I haven’t sent allot in but I’ve been impressed with their service. You are kept in the loop. E-mails are returned, and can speak to a knowledgeable person. I appreciate that they will go above in coverage but also like that they do put limitations on it.

Mine showed up today cleaned, inspected, free lens covers, and with a much improved focus wheel. They also replaced the eyecups, which I didn't request. No charge
Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/14/20

Sorry John, Monarch 5.... had a brain fart...... Jap junk seems way more gooder than Euro trash for dollars spent
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/14/20

Sorry John, Monarch 5.... had a brain fart...... Jap junk seems way more gooder than Euro trash for dollars spent

OK no problem, just curious. I'd be pissed too at Swaro if I were in your shoes, or Greg W's shoes for that matter. That plain sucks. I bet you can get close to $500 for them though. Good luck.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Swarovski warranty - 04/14/20
The Nikons were purchased as a stop gap.... but I may use them as my main bino's for a bit and see how they work.... 8x42 and lightweight nice package
© 24hourcampfire