Home
Posted By: Aviator NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
Are these scopes solid? Has anyone ever had issues with them?
Posted By: javman Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
My bud has one and we've been messing with it and they are real good scopes. Been running it side by side with a SWFA and the NF has the edge but not by much.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
I have four and have nothing but good things to say about them. A shooting school up the road from me uses some as well on their student rifles and they haven't had any problems despite almost daily dialing up and down.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
They’ve given me the same amount of problems as the NXSs, ATACRs, etc...

Still waiting for those MIL reticles in the 3-10.
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
Comparing SWFA with NF, is like comparing a Yugo to an M1 Abrams.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
I've had one on a 7mm Mashburn Super for a couple years pushing 160gr NAB's to 3220 fps, have ran that scope on gong track drills from 100 to 500 to 700 on out to 900+ yard rocks on the mountain then back again, it's flawless and the best 700 bucks I've ever spent on glass.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
This only counts if he does the same with an SWFA and it fails. Otherwise, this is just an advertisement for Nightforce.

Originally Posted by Dryfly24

Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
They are solid, I’ve had several over the past few years and still have a few 3-10s and a 4-14.
I wouldn’t try that with any of my SWFA’s.

YMMV...
Posted By: lotech Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
After zeroing, I don't touch scope adjustments in the field, but I've had an SHV 3-10x42 on a Remington .300 Win. Magnum for several years. The rifle has been fired a great deal; no scope problems. The zero has remained constant.
Posted By: horse1 Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
I've sighted in 5 NIB 3-10x42 SHV's over the last couple weeks. All 5 have been very precise as it relates to sight-in.
Posted By: aalf Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by aalf

That one’s even better. I’d like to see ANY other manufacturer replicate that with their product. Maybe they have and I don’t know about it? Anybody know of any? If so, please post away...
Originally Posted by David_Walter
This only counts if he does the same with an SWFA and it fails. Otherwise, this is just an advertisement for Nightforce.

Well it’s one hell of an advertisement then... 😁

See my post above. If you know of anyone else doing the same please advise. I’d love to see it...
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
I just wish they offered a couple more reticle choices, I would be interested in how they test the SHV's or if they test them. but I posted the history of nightforce the company on here a couple weeks ago. they were founded to be a heavy duty scope company
Posted By: Certifiable Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
I’m going to derail here a bit before it happens anyway, but I have a question for you guys..

Due directly to the function/cost ratio, I buy SFWA scopes almost exclusively. I have approx 25-30 in use.
I just purchased 3 of the bushnells Doug was blowing out because I wanted to try them. I have not mounted or used any of them yet. From the reports you guys offer I’m not likely to be disappointed.

However I still feel for some reason I won’t be satisfied until I own a Nightforce. It will definitely go on a .22lr, most likely my vudoo.
I’m sure it’s been answered before but can somebody lay out the big difference in cost between shv and nxs. If I do a NF it’s more than likely going to be my only one.. I’d like something around the 5x20 magnification line and that seems to be nxs territory...
I do know with my use, I don’t “need” one.. but I still want one just to play around with and see for myself
Any comments are welcome as price has kept me away from even researching these scopes much
Thanks gents
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
Comparing Leupold with NF, is like comparing a Yugo to an M1 Abrams.

Fixed. grin

What failures have you had with SWFA scopes that make you say that? It's a bit of an extreme claim, if you ask me. Unless you've tested both scopes using the same testing methods, and more than just a sample of one of each, you can't really use a specific test of one scope as a valid metric. IME, SWFA scopes are extremely durable. I have a friend who's son was recently out during the late season hunting in the elk hills, and when he went to cross an icy creek bed his foot slipped out from under him on an ice-covered boulder. He unintentionally threw his rifle like you'd throw a stick when playing fetch with a dog, and the Ruger M77 Hawkeye with SWFA 6x scope landed elevation-turret first on a large boulder, before clunking and clanking and skipping across the boulders in the creek bed. The rifle and scope (particularly the ele turret!) acquired some serious scars. When he went to check zero on the rig he needed to make a 0.3 MRAD correction to get back on zero. Whether this slight shift was due to mounts, action screws/bedding, or scope internals I don't know. But for a rifle and scope to take a beating like that and have only shifted zero slightly over an inch at 100, that's pretty impressive.
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I’m going to derail here a bit before it happens anyway, but I have a question for you guys..

Due directly to the function/cost ratio, I buy SFWA scopes almost exclusively. I have approx 25-30 in use.
I just purchased 3 of the bushnells Doug was blowing out because I wanted to try them. I have not mounted or used any of them yet. From the reports you guys offer I’m not likely to be disappointed.

However I still feel for some reason I won’t be satisfied until I own a Nightforce. It will definitely go on a .22lr, most likely my vudoo.
I’m sure it’s been answered before but can somebody lay out the big difference in cost between shv and nxs. If I do a NF it’s more than likely going to be my only one.. I’d like something around the 5x20 magnification line and that seems to be nxs territory...
I do know with my use, I don’t “need” one.. but I still want one just to play around with and see for myself
Any comments are welcome as price has kept me away from even researching these scopes much
Thanks gents

I'd be looking at the ATACR 4-16x F1 or 5-25x F1 if you're looking to get one and only one NF scope. I've not used or been around the NX8 line yet, but the 2.5-20x or 4-32x NX8 may also be good options.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
Great post, Jordan.

As I said, until that dude does a comparable test with an SWFA and the SWFA fails, it’s all yada yada...
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Great post, Jordan.

As I said, until that dude does a comparable test with an SWFA and the SWFA fails, it’s all yada yada...

So again I ask you, where are the comparable tests from other makers if that’s all it is? I’ll wait while you post the links...
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Fixed. grin

What failures have you had with SWFA scopes that make you say that? It's a bit of an extreme claim, if you ask me. Unless you've tested both scopes using the same testing methods, and more than just a sample of one of each, you can't really use a specific test of one scope as a valid metric. IME, SWFA scopes are extremely durable. I have a friend who's son was recently out during the late season hunting in the elk hills, and when he went to cross an icy creek bed his foot slipped out from under him on an ice-covered boulder. He unintentionally threw his rifle like you'd throw a stick when playing fetch with a dog, and the Ruger M77 Hawkeye with SWFA 6x scope landed elevation-turret first on a large boulder, before clunking and clanking and skipping across the boulders in the creek bed. The rifle and scope (particularly the ele turret!) acquired some serious scars. When he went to check zero on the rig he needed to make a 0.3 MRAD correction to get back on zero. Whether this slight shift was due to mounts, action screws/bedding, or scope internals I don't know. But for a rifle and scope to take a beating like that and have only shifted zero slightly over an inch at 100, that's pretty impressive.

That’s impressive and maybe I misrepresented my position but I am also a fan and owner of SWFA scopes. But I still don’t think they are in the same league with NF when it comes to durability and reliability.

And it’s funny but since you picked Leupold when you posted, what would you say if I told you I had virtually the exact same experience with a Leupold scope only it landed on the ocular bell and crushed it. Glass also cracked somewhat but not all the way through and the scope amazingly held zero. Leupold warranty replaced it despite its age.

There are a lot of good scopes out there, but there is a reason the agencies with the big bucks that do their own testing, and that actually depend on performance like their lives might be in the balance because it might be use NF...

Fixed. grin

That’s impressive and maybe I misrepresented my position but I am also a fan and owner of SWFA scopes. But I still don’t think they are in the same league with NF when it comes to durability and reliability.

And it’s funny but since you picked Leupold when you posted, what would you say if I told you I had virtually the exact same experience with a Leupold scope only it landed on the ocular bell and crushed it. Glass also cracked somewhat but not all the way through and the scope amazingly held zero. Leupold warranty replaced it despite its age.

There are a lot of good scopes out there, but there is a reason the agencies with the big bucks that do their own testing, and that actually depend on performance like their lives might be in the balance because it might be use NF...

I'd say that I'm not shocked. I mostly inserted "Leupold" into your statement as a jab at the Leup fanboys. grin Despite the fact that the older Leupolds held zero very well, an anecdotal sample of one doesn't say much about the lineup in general. The same can be said about the videos testing a single scope. I would agree that NF scopes are likely the most durable and reliable of any scopes made, but the difference in reliability between NF and something like a SWFA fixed or Bushy LRHS isn't as large as you were making it out to be, IMO.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
Jordan.. appreciate your response.
I checked the scopes you mentioned and I feel I better clarify my position a bit more!!
Despite me saying I’ll likely own one unfortunately there’s no way I could do 3k ish for a single scope..
My only option would be to find a used model for sub 1500 or to get lucky and find a demo or the like Doug is blowing out for not much more.
I’ve looked closely at several recently in the classifieds for 1300-1500 but just haven’t pulled the trigger.
Part of that is I just don’t their lineup well enough.

I will definitely be fishing from the used/discontinued section of the pond tho, and I have no problems with that..
I don’t need new or the best
Any used options you’d recommend Specifically for rimfire 50-300+ yards?
Thanks again

Fixed. grin

I'd say that I'm not shocked. I mostly inserted "Leupold" into your statement as a jab at the Leup fanboys. grin Despite the fact that the older Leupolds held zero very well, an anecdotal sample of one doesn't say much about the lineup in general. The same can be said about the videos testing a single scope. I would agree that NF scopes are likely the most durable and reliable of any scopes made, but the difference in reliability between NF and something like a SWFA fixed or Bushy LRHS isn't as large as you were making it out to be, IMO.

It’s not about a single video or a single scope. It’s about how those scopes are made and assembled and tested. Look it up yourself and if you still think they are the same quality as any other scope there’s really not much I can say to change your mind - or even care to to be honest as it doesn’t affect me in the least what anybody else chooses to use. We all walk our own paths.

Take care...

George
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
Had an SHV-F1 for a while. Rock solid tracking, return to zero and zero retention. Good scope.

John
Posted By: NZSika Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
Ive dialled mine literally thousands of times culling commercially and recreationally over the last 5 years and banged it around all over the place.

Its never lost zero and dials perfectly still. Its on a .223 (3-10 power). MOA reticle. Perfect.
Posted By: aalf Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20

Pretty good deals show up occasionally on NXS 5.5-22's, especially when they have the NP-R1 or NP-R2 reticles, which would be great for what you're looking for. Depending on whether they have high speed/zero stop, prices can be 11-1300.00.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/10/20
Oh yeah these are IMO the toughest scopes i have used and tracking is solid too but they have their downsides with heavy weight and mid-grade optics But you dont hear that mentioned much from all the fanboys......Hb
Posted By: hangunnr Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/11/20
Hate to be this guy but I have a 3-10 SHV that I’m questioning right now. Last fall my hunting load in my light 308 was stacking 130gr TTSX into about 5/8” at 100. Last outing with the same gun / load was printing 1.5-2”. Nothing changed with my rig just the group size.

I pulled the scope off and verified mounts and fasteners were all good. Installed a known good Mark 4 3.5-10 and will see WTF on my next session.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by aalf

Pretty good deals show up occasionally on NXS 5.5-22's, especially when they have the NP-R1 or NP-R2 reticles, which would be great for what you're looking for. Depending on whether they have high speed/zero stop, prices can be 11-1300.00.

Aalf.. I think that exactly describes the last one or two I was looking at.
If I could find one for 11-1200 I’d likely jump in the water
Posted By: Judman Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by Aviator

I got (1), works as good as all my leupolds, just waaaay heavier
Posted By: EdM Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Aviator

I got (1), works as good as all my leupolds, just waaaay heavier

grin
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/11/20
Jordan.. appreciate your response.
I checked the scopes you mentioned and I feel I better clarify my position a bit more!!
Despite me saying I’ll likely own one unfortunately there’s no way I could do 3k ish for a single scope..
My only option would be to find a used model for sub 1500 or to get lucky and find a demo or the like Doug is blowing out for not much more.
I’ve looked closely at several recently in the classifieds for 1300-1500 but just haven’t pulled the trigger.
Part of that is I just don’t their lineup well enough.

I will definitely be fishing from the used/discontinued section of the pond tho, and I have no problems with that..
I don’t need new or the best
Thanks again

The NXS 3-15x F1 or SHV 4-16x F1 would be good options, but honestly in that price range I’d just stick with the LRTS.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/11/20

Fixed. grin

It’s not about a single video or a single scope. It’s about how those scopes are made and assembled and tested. Look it up yourself and if you still think they are the same quality as any other scope there’s really not much I can say to change your mind - or even care to to be honest as it doesn’t affect me in the least what anybody else chooses to use. We all walk our own paths.

Take care...

George

George,

I’m not sure how you got that from what I said. I’m aware of how NF scopes are made and tested, and as I said, they are probably the most durable/reliable scopes made, but I don’t believe that the next step down in durability is nearly as far as you’re implying it is.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/11/20
A test exclusive to one means nothing of another...

The differences in construction between SHV and NSX are?
Posted By: ckat Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by joshf303
They’ve given me the same amount of problems as the NXSs, ATACRs, etc...

Still waiting for those MIL reticles in the 3-10.

Any plans of this??? I want badly to jump on MD’s 3-10 that he had listed the other day, but the MOA kept me from it...
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: NF SHV reliability? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
A test exclusive to one means nothing of another...

The differences in construction between SHV and NSX are?

SHV:
Entry-level Nightforce® riflescope
Developed for all around use
High-Quality glass with simplified features
Most popular is the MOAR reticle
ZeroSet™ elevation or capped adjustments

NXS:
Hard-use Nightforce® product line
Legacy product line that established Nightforce within the marketplace
Used by elite military snipers and warfighters
High-quality glass and features
Positive clicks for windage and elevation dialing
ZeroStop™ elevation adjustment

NX8:
New generation Nightforce® product line with NXS-type ruggedness in a mid-range F1 option
8x magnification zoom ratio
Compact and lightweight
High-quality glass and features
Built for extreme durability

ATACR:
Highest level product Nightforce® has to offer
Most advanced technology features
Used by long range competitors, elite military units and extreme long range hunters
ED Glass with high performance features
ZeroStop™ /ZeroHold™ elevation adjustments
Power Throw Lever integrated to magnification ring
Digillum™ – digital reticle illumination
Flip-up caps standard
Posted By: wsq Re: NF SHV reliability? - 03/09/20
To much effort is put into hunting a wall hanger buck for me to be using a cheap scope. I’ve used most all some with better glass than the nightforce but the overall package it’s nightforce for me I’m on my first one but think there will be more.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: NF SHV reliability? - 03/09/20
Originally Posted by wsq
To much effort is put into hunting a wall hanger buck for me to be using a cheap scope. I’ve used most all some with better glass than the nightforce but the overall package it’s nightforce for me I’m on my first one but think there will be more.

Oh no, you are going to be hooked. They are like pringles...
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: NF SHV reliability? - 03/09/20
I have a few and have had a few more pass through my hands. I have a standard non illuminated forceplex 3-10 and a 4-14 f1 (both shv) currently and have used them extensively in lots of different weather, both have been banged around on my snowmachine and in my skiff and hauled up mountains. Both of them have held zero and returned to zero flawlessly.

I probably don’t shoot as much as some guys but I do try to get out most weekends, living in Alaska I get a lot of field time for hunting, for moose I get an entire month in the fall and an entire month in the winter, I can hunt caribou for months on end. On top of all that I make a few trips each year. I’m only saying that to point out that my guns/scopes spend a lot of time out each year.

I have a pretty ambitious hunting plan this year so I recently sold off one of the shv 3-10s I had and will be ordering an nxs 2.5-10 from Doug this week, tomorrow probably, mostly because I want to match the MILr reticle to the one in my 4-14f1 and the nxs 2.5-10 seems to check pretty much every box for me:

-compact size to fit on my short action kimber
-good magnification range
-sfp I keep it dialed down while walking
-mil reticle/dial
-zero stop
-slightly lighter than an shv 3-10

Seems about perfect for my needs.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: NF SHV reliability? - 03/10/20
When will NF make the 3-10 SHV with some sort of mil reticle?
© 24hourcampfire