Home
Posted By: River_Ridge VX-Freedom vs. VX3i? - 02/11/20
I’ve been reading a lot of great reviews for the Leupold VX-Freedom scopes lately. A 3-9x40 can be had for about $200 just about anywhere. A VX3i 3.5-10x40 typically sells for about $400. It got me to wondering, is it worth it to consider a VX3i when a VX-Freedom can be had for about ½ the cost? This would be mounted on a deer rifle and our gun season is about 3 weeks long.
Cabin fever gives me time to ponder things like this. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
How late do you shoot? Is there snow on the ground?
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: VX-Freedom vs. VX3i? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
How late do you shoot? Is there snow on the ground?

Our hunting hours are sunrise 'til sunset. We usually have snow.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: VX-Freedom vs. VX3i? - 02/11/20
Probably not a huge difference between them in NE hunting conditions with snow. VX-3i has a bit better glass but the Freedom should do the job. I'm assuming you're not planning on lots of long shots or shooting in very low light..
Posted By: drover Re: VX-Freedom vs. VX3i? - 02/11/20
Save the money - get the Freedom!!!

I am not a fan of the looks of them but after buying my first one I have bought two more, I am not sure that there are available optics better for the dollars spent.

drover
The less expensive model is better than you need.
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: VX-Freedom vs. VX3i? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by drover
Save the money - get the Freedom!!!

I am not a fan of the looks of them but after buying my first one I have bought two more, I am not sure that there are available optics better for the dollars spent.

drover

I have a buddy who came to the same exact conclusion as drover.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: VX-Freedom vs. VX3i? - 02/11/20
I have both and the Freedom looks as good to me. I think the VX3i has a diamond coat but they both have some sorta twilight.

The first time I sat with my Freedom the year they came out, I had to chuckle because we spend too much money looking for better. I’ve posted before that in some respects I like the Freedom better, especially the power ring.

I too own more than one Freedom now.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: VX-Freedom vs. VX3i? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
The less expensive model is better than you need.

Thats spot on
Posted By: Huntz Re: VX-Freedom vs. VX3i? - 02/11/20
The big difference is the erector system.The windage and elevation on the VX3i is more positive to me.Really does not mean squat on a set and forget scope.The glass seems to be about equal to me.I have 3 Freedoms now and think it was money well spent.
© 24hourcampfire