Home
On the Tract website it says the Toric scopes operating temp is 158 to -1.4 degrees. How they came up with 1.4 I don't know. I just talk to Tract online and they said the adjustments would get stiff at that cold temp everything else would work fine. My ? is for those who have on is, has this been a problem for you?
Have used mine well below freezing (0 degrees C) in the NZ mountains many times without stiffness or any problems. Maybe things do firm up a bit but I would expect the same from any scope. With gloves and layers on its hard to tell if there's any change - Ive not noticed any (power ring and parallax adjustments).
I would guess that Tract is referring to -1.4 def F, so closer to -19 deg C.
I think it is about the natural expansion and contraction of materials in extreme temperatures affecting the tolerances. I've had a Zeiss Conquest power selection adjustment totally stuck at about -15f.

You may want to call Tract to find if their referenced temperature is when the adjustment begins getting tighter, or after it becomes totally stuck?
So at -1.3 degrees the scope functions normally but at -1.5 it does not? Where do they come up with an off the wall -1.4?
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Originally Posted by Plumdog
So at -1.3 degrees the scope functions normally but at -1.5 it does not? Where do they come up with an off the wall -1.4?

Jordan answered your question before you even posted.

Yep figured they were talking F instead of C when I asked them the question..
Originally Posted by jwp475

Jordan answered your question before you even posted.

No he didn't. My question was why is it such an exact number? Not minus 1 degree or minus 2 degrees, but precisely minus 1.4 degrees.
No he didn't. My question was why is it such an exact number? Not minus 1 degree or minus 2 degrees, but precisely minus 1.4 degrees.

WOW, you have to be joking. Because it about -18 C

Geez
Ya know pure water freezes at 32 F not 32.1.
It hit me like a slap in the face when I was taking the kids to school. I guess I shouldn't type right after getting up and still sleepy.

because if they said -2 to 158 degrees, you people would lose your mind when it doesn't work at -1.4 degrees
How have you liked your Tract scopes. I am looking at the Toric UHD 2-10x42 BDC.

My guess would be that it is the actual value observed while conducting their testing.
Originally Posted by CWT
Ya know pure water freezes at 32 F not 32.1.

Actually it depends on atmosphere pressue.
Flowing water can also be sub 32 deg F.
© 24hourcampfire