Home
There are some scopes out of production that some of us miss as there seemed to be no proper replacement offered.
What scope do you wish was made again?
Denver made Redfields

Don't think it's made anymore, the 3-9x40 Conquest with mildot reticle.
Zeiss 4x.
the bushnell elites!!!
LRHS 3-12x44
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Zeiss 4x.

This.

The 3-9 was good, too.

Both gave the best bang for the buck, then or since. IMHO.

FC
Originally Posted by hanco
Denver made Redfields

I liked the wide view scopes. My friend had one and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Believe it or not, the older Japanese made Tasco scopes were great for the price. I have a friend with a 3x9 Pronghorn on a BLR in .308 that has held its zero for 25 years. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I'm the only one that touches his scopes and checks them every year. He's not a real gun nut like me.
Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40...
The gloss Tasco Pronghorn 3-9X40mm made in Japan.
NF NXS Compact 2.5-10x32
Steel tube Weaver 2.5-7x32

Bushnell Scopechief IV 3-9x40. The ringless mount system was pretty cool.

Originally Posted by hunter5325
NF NXS Compact 2.5-10x32

+1
Leupold 3X
Leupold M8 4x28mm.
Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32

I do have two of these to console me.

ILya
Weaver K4
Zeiss Conquest 3x9

GreggH
NF NXS Compact 2.5-10x32

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Weaver K4 for me as well.
Kahles 6x42
Weaver K4
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Steel tube Weaver 2.5-7x32

I had the steel tube Weaver 2.5-7x32 or what ever it was, on a Remington 700 BDL 6mm Remington. I liked it fine, but I had never had anything better to compare it to. I"ve had better scopes since, but they still make most of them that I know of. I like the old Nikon Prostaff but I'm not sure they still make and . For the money it was a great scope. It was very clear and it held zero and it wasn't overly heavy. I liked the Leupold VX-3L and still have one on a .257 AI built on a Yugo Mauser, which I still have. I think this series was discontinued.
I do like my four VX-3is but not sure if they still make them.

;
Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 that had the eurooptic logo for $299...wish I had bought 5 of those...
Leupold 6x36.
Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40 with the Firefly reticle.
gloss black
Weaver steel tube!!
Kahles 2-7 x 36 Plex have two. Some were for rimfire.

Kahles 3-9 x 42 CL with side AO, have one.

Zeiss Conquest 1.8 x 5.5 x 38 bought three from Doug on close out.

Zeiss Conquest 4x, have one.
Lo-pro,3-9
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Those ScopeChiefs were a good scope for the money, and that ringless system was indeed pretty cool. There are German scopes with a similar sort of arrangement, and I have a couple of examples. I also had a Japanese-made Nikko with the same sort of setup too, back in the 70s.

I don't really understand why such mounts haven't really taken off, and replaced rings. They have a number of advantages.
Other scopes not made anymore which I miss include various good 4x scopes. Everyone used to make them, and now it seems pretty near no-one does. I have a few, favourite among which is a Meopta Artemis 2000, and I quite like the Leupold M8 4x.

I'd also add the 1.5-6 Sightron SII, and the Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 lines.
Bushnell Elite 4200. Have them on most of my guns.
NF NXS Compact 2.5-10x32

Another vote for these.
Weaver K2.5
Leupold 8x
Leupold M8 6x42
Originally Posted by moosemike
Leupold 3X

Yep! That and the 2-7X28. Have two of them left.

Both great hunting scopes. Just set it and forget it!!

Ted
Weaver K4 with Japanese glass. Have two. Keeping them.
Originally Posted by jeeper

Don't think it's made anymore, the 3-9x40 Conquest with mildot reticle.

s an idiot and traded away one of these frown
Leupold m8 compact 4x.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Leupold m8 compact 4x.

That just reminded me about the Leupold M8 6x compact. I have one on my .22 Mag and forgot all about it.
One of my favorites for varmint hunting was the Leupold VX-III 6.5X20X40 Long Range.
It was a 30mm tube with side focus, a target turret for elevation and a short turret for windage. mine tracks perfectly. they only made them for a short time before going to 50mm
Bushnell 4200,4500,elite,6500.

All I use
Unertl target scopes, for varmint rifles.
Originally Posted by moosemike
Leupold 3X

This one.
Along with the Lyman All American 3x and the Weaver V-3.
The Weaver V-4 and the Redfield 1-4x fit right in.
These scopes are best with the plain cross hair, duplex, Flat Top Post or Lee Dot.
The Weaver flat top post was a very useful reticle.

I have a 5 minute Lee Dot in a weaver K-2 and it is very handy up close in the cedar.

These low power scopes with simple reticles were very handy and popular in the 1960's and '70's.
The used prices of the scopes validate the thought.
The Colorado Redfield Widefield's
For the price, Conquest 3-9x40. Got a few when they were closing them out for $285 or less. I've sent some back to Zeiss for elevation turret. Have used Ballistic tape, yardage set up for a specific load. Lots of buzz for the buck.

Not exactly Alpha glass, but good enough to get you in trouble shooting too late, based on what you can still see.

DF

Vortex 2 X 7 Viper
Basically all of the Leupold scopes with the VH reticle. I don't like CDS or target knobs. Boone and Crocket is ok but somewhat coarse.

Ideal would be the 4.5-14x and 6.5-20x with 1" tube and AO.

I think the 1.75-6X should come back .. but I still have one NIB.

Tom
Burris 3-9x32 Compact\Mini - perfect fit on my Rem 700 mountain rifles.
Leupold that will hold zero and adjust correctly! Were great for a lot of years fix em please!
Handwerk: If you include Colony Varmints in your "Hunting" inquiry then I most lament the decision by the fine folks at Leupold & Stevens Company to quit making their amazing 8.5x25x40mm variables copes!
I have several of these wonderful scopes and each year I wish they still made these amazing scopes - to "upgrade" some of my other Varmint Rifles with.
Yearn.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Burris Signature Series 4X. I found mine at a gun shop on the bargain table. Price NIB was $125, they had 2 but I only bought 1.
k2nd
Leupold VX2
Both 4-12 and 6-18.
Weaver 3-15x Super Slam.

Like a lot of "dialing" scopes, this one was made by Light Optical, if my industry info is correct. Still have my first one, which has had the s**t dialed out of it for a decade, and it keeps being dead-nuts. Bought another a few years later, and it is working fine as well. They didn't cost much more than SWFAs, but had better optics.

Weighed around the 20 ounces that's seems pretty much the standard minimum for scopes that will keep dialing a while, though only (as far as I know) came in 1" tubes, which did not satisfy some. But I have never had any difficulty dialing them to it stuff way out there. They also had pull-up resettable dials, which did not require a zero-stop to use easily.

Am guessing some other company might keep selling essentially the same scope, though they will probably be 30mm.
Conquest 3-9x40 and the older Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40. The Monarch UCC 4-12x40 is also a good one.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Weaver 3-15x Super Slam.

Like a lot of "dialing" scopes, this one was made by Light Optical, if my industry info is correct. Still have my first one, which has had the s**t dialed out of it for a decade, and it keeps being dead-nuts. Bought another a few years later, and it is working fine as well. They didn't cost much more than SWFAs, but had better optics.

Weighed around the 20 ounces that's seems pretty much the standard minimum for scopes that will keep dialing a while, though only (as far as I know) came in 1" tubes, which did not satisfy some. But I have never had any difficulty dialing them to it stuff way out there. They also had pull-up resettable dials, which did not require a zero-stop to use easily.

Am guessing some other company might keep selling essentially the same scope, though they will probably be 30mm.

This is funny...

This scope is on my wife's killing rifle. It's dialed dead nuts for 8+ years now....

The Super Slams were solid scopes, and I mean solid....
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Weaver 3-15x Super Slam.

This is funny...

This scope is on my wife's killing rifle. It's dialed dead nuts for 8+ years now....

The Super Slams were solid scopes, and I mean solid....

I have one of these and agree with all of the above. Mine is the Nitrex variation, but the same scope.
Took a whitetail buck at 596 yards with it. The bullet crossed the Bighorn River twice on the way.
Love the turrets.
uphill? both ways?
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40
Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32
The whole Leupold VX-R line
Weaver...
+1
Originally Posted by Woodhits

NF NXS Compact 2.5-10x32

+1

Add me to this list as well!
Leupold 7.5X fixed power scope.
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with Z Plex.
Any of the Redfields made in Denver (circa late 70s-mid 80s) and Leupold M8 4x. It's a shame no one is making gloss scopes anymore. Most of my rifles have shiny, deep bluing and the current matte finished scopes look out of place on them.
Weaver K2.5,3,and 4.
Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Vortex 2 X 7 Viper

There's one for sale in the classifieds right now...
2-7x36 Kahles AH with a #4 retical
2-7x36 Kahles AH with a #4 retical

I couldn’t agree more....fantastic scope!
Add the Kahles 3-9x42 AH as well. Their plex reticle is a favorite of mine too.
To me these were always comparable to the Swarovski AV 3-10x42 but more robustly built. I own both. The Swaros have been back to the factory for erector tube repairs and have never lost zero since. But, the Kahles just keep on truckin like the energizer bunny....never had a problem with them.

Leftybolt
Old Leupold gloss 3.5-10x40 AO, I loved those scopes!
Old 2-7 Redfield wideview, have one on my 375 and on an 06.
Weaver K4
VX3 4.5-14 x40 with varmint reticle
VX2 2-7
VX1 2-7 (scraped up 3)
VX3i (or VX3?) 2.5-8x36 with B&C Reticle
Weaver 3-10x40 Super Slam "tactical".

Dials like a Nightforce, in a smaller package and obtainable for as low as $189 at one point.

I picked up 3, and wish I'd have bought another dozen or two honestly.

Dave
Nikon African/Monarch 1-4x20 - my favorite scope for Ruger No. 1's (I think I have more of those than any other individual scope).
Originally Posted by CBB15

This one; maybe the finest scope of its range I have ever used. Last light in the woods is amazing. Surprisingly light, 16.6oz, as well. Wish I could put one on every under 200 yd gun I own.
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by CBB15

This one; maybe the finest scope of its range I have ever used. Last light in the woods is amazing. Surprisingly light, 16.6oz, as well. Wish I could put one on every under 200 yd gun I own.

Well said and I agree.

Those who may challenge that statement probably have not actually used one.

DF
Originally Posted by iddave
Weaver 3-10x40 Super Slam "tactical".

Dials like a Nightforce, in a smaller package and obtainable for as low as $189 at one point.

I picked up 3, and wish I'd have bought another dozen or two honestly.

Dave

Bought 2 and wished I had more
Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 from a few years ago.
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Vortex 2 X 7 Viper

There's one for sale in the classifieds right now...

Not any more!
Bushnell LRHS 3-12x
Minox ZA5 and ZA5 HD. The 2x10x40 Plex or #4
Conquest 3x9x40s from EuroOptics
Several of the Grand Slams and Super Slams from Natchez.
Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40....Natchez still has a few Elites cheap. They got a 3500 really cheap and a few 4500s.
One more I didn't think about is the Sightron SI 2.5x32mm. I've only had one and still have it. It's mounted on an AR. I've used that scope on multiple turkey guns, all 12 ga and most of them lightweight guns. It's taken a BEATING over the years...not just from recoil. Objective bell is dented a little from a drop when I was scooting around the edge of a rock...I dropped it and it landed on the scope on a limestone rock below. Didn't lose zero and it's always adjusted when I changed shotguns or rifles. Little sucker has 4.1" of eye relief and a massive 12.8 exit pupil.....so easy to get behind. It's not what I'd call a true "all around" hunting scope and certainly not a precision rifle scope but I'd like to find a couple more of them for AR's.
LRHS 3-12

IMO, nothing from NForce or TT or Vortex or anyone has come close to matching the LRHS for what it was - a very good hunting/shooting scope with all the right parts and reticle.

Browning fixed 5x
Leupold 7.5x
Vortex Viper 2-7x with the Versa plex reticle. I have one on a Marlin 336 and it is a perfect match. Got it on clearance several years ago for $150 and wish I had bought two back then.
Originally Posted by boatanchor
One of my favorites for varmint hunting was the Leupold VX-III 6.5X20X40 Long Range.
It was a 30mm tube with side focus, a target turret for elevation and a short turret for windage. mine tracks perfectly. they only made them for a short time before going to 50mm

I have a few of these scopes (wish I had a few more), was checking the serial numbers. All were made in 2004 and within a couple hundred numbers of each other
There are some Weaver Classics that I'd like to try.
Originally Posted by DollarShort
There are some Weaver Classics that I'd like to try.

Better hurry; Weaver scopes are going away
I bought a few Weaver grand slams on close out. The most recent is a 2-8x36 and it’s nice to look through.
Nikon 4x40mm
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
LRHS 3-12

IMO, nothing from NForce or TT or Vortex or anyone has come close to matching the LRHS for what it was - a very good hunting/shooting scope with all the right parts and reticle.

If my new 3-12 LRTS runs as well as my NF's i'll be one happy shooter! smile
As of end of end of 2019...Leupold FXII 4x.
© 24hourcampfire