Home
Folks:

Since Leupold seems to be on the outs right now, and seeing that many of their one-inch tubed variable power hunting scopes come in somewhere between 11 - 14 oz, what are y'all using as an alternative in that tube size and weight range?

Thanks

RM
Mike, I use a bunch of the FFII 3x9 Burris and the Meopta's as well. Both fill in the gap for me.
Trijicon's new Huron line is worth a look. They are probably closer to 16 ounces but still light by today's standards.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-huron-hunting-riflescope

I have 3 Trijicon Accupowers and I love them.

The 3-9s are 1".
The Z3 is 12 oz., hard to beat that optic with regards to size/wt/quality.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/z3-3-9x36-c20050401/z3-3-9x36-l-4a-p5006167You
Originally Posted by Mid_MO_Hunter
The Z3 is 12 oz., hard to beat that optic with regards to size/wt/quality.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/z3-3-9x36-c20050401/z3-3-9x36-l-4a-p5006167You

Great scope.
FFII Burris. Great scopes, too cheap for their quality, fairly light and trim.
German Precision Optics might be worth a look. Their Passion 3X line has attractive weights. I can't speak to the newer versions with the 42mm objective, but the 4-12x40 I have has Meopro level glass (to my eyes) and has performed well. It was made in Japan if that matters to you, but I'm not sure about the newer ones. Doug would be your huckleberry on 'em.

Passion 4-12x42 is 13.8 oz. https://gpo-usa.com/product/passion-4-12x42-with-5-custom-turrets-reticle-plex/

Passion 3-9x42 is 14.1 oz. https://gpo-usa.com/product/passion-4-12x42-with-5-custom-turrets-reticle-plex/
Burris ffll & E1 for set and forget lightweights where the reticle is used for ballistic compensation
I would have no issues with a used Leupold 4 or 6x M8.
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Trijicon's new Huron line is worth a look. They are probably closer to 16 ounces but still light by today's standards.

The 3-9s are 1".

Have you looked at the eye relief specs for those Huron scopes?
Parson, in the last few months I've acquired three Burris scopes; two FF II 3-9s, and an E1 4.5-14. The most I paid was $189 for the E1. Positive reports here, and a couple of pieces in the Rifle Loony News convinced me to try them. One's still in the box, but the other two are up and running, and were sighted in without any drama. In general, Leupolds have a bit more eye-relief, but that's about it. These are light and the adjustments seem more positive than Leupold 2-series scopes.

I actually prefer the coin-slot knobs on the FF IIs to the finger-friendly E1. Seem crisper, though I believe the internals are the same.
The aforementioned Z3 is wonderful. If you've got the coin, I can't imagine it would ever be a bad choice.

Slummin' it a bit, I'm very fond of the Vortex Viper 2-7's. They were so nice, they got discontinued. Then Doug prevailed upon the powers that be to make another batch. I've found 'em to have great glass, and for the crosshairs to go (and stay) where i want 'em. Compact, lightweight, and their bdc reticle works well without being obtrusive in the least. A real sweetheart for the vast majority of my hunting scenarios. Some of the later ones had significant tunnel vision, but I was one of those folks who wasn't overly off-put by it. I thought long & hard about snagging the one from the classifieds here this week.

I just put a 4x32 Conquest (13 oz) on a 84M last week, and am thrilled with it.

Yes, you're correct: I'm mentioning discontinued scopes, and even fixed ones, at that. Hey, ignoring the OP is what 24HCF is all about! grin

FC
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

The 3-9s are 1".

Have you looked at the eye relief specs for those Huron scopes?

Ouch. Then I recommend the 3-9x40 Accupower. I have 3 of them and eye relief is 3.5".
For the op’s question I can’t think of anything better than a 3-10 z3. I prefer the brh reticle as I don’t consider them dialing scopes
I’ve got a couple of the 2.5-10 ultralight SWFAs and so far I really like them. I read about the eye relief, but so far it hasn’t been a problem.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Yes, you're correct: I'm mentioning discontinued scopes, and even fixed ones, at that. Hey, ignoring the OP is what 24HCF is all about! grin

FC

No problem; fixed power scopes are fair game as well. grin

I've been looking at the Maven 2-10x38 (12.4 oz), but so far I've not read anything about them. Maven's business model seems to be the same as Tract, and the cost seems to be right between VX3i and Z3. I know a lot of folks, JB included, have been moving towards Burris. The only two I have are a Euro 3-9x40 30mm illuminated, which is heavy, and a USA-made 4x Signature on a custom M1909 (safe queen). I recently picked up a "Fire Famous" rifle that's topped with a 4x M8 - that's a really nice scope - so I know there are options out there.

What I'm looking for is something to put on a rifle that I bought a while back and I'm having reworked right now. It's a M1909 Argentine in a B&C Carbelite stock. When I got the rifle it had a very heavy barrel, which I'm having turned down. The 'smith said that would pare it down by about 8 ounces. If I can put a light scope on it, paired with the standard aluminum Weaver base/ring combo (low and light), the rifle should come in somewhere a touch under 8 pounds, which is perfectly fine for my use. I can't hold super lightweight rifles steady enough to do much with them.

Thanks for the suggestions. They're helpful.

RM
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

FC

No problem; fixed power scopes are fair game as well. grin

I've been looking at the Maven 2-10x38 (12.4 oz), but so far I've not read anything about them. Maven's business model seems to be the same as Tract, and the cost seems to be right between VX3i and Z3. I know a lot of folks, JB included, have been moving towards Burris. The only two I have are a Euro 3-9x40 30mm illuminated, which is heavy, and a USA-made 4x Signature on a custom M1909 (safe queen). I recently picked up a "Fire Famous" rifle that's topped with a 4x M8 - that's a really nice scope - so I know there are options out there.

What I'm looking for is something to put on a rifle that I bought a while back and I'm having reworked right now. It's a M1909 Argentine in a B&C Carbelite stock. When I got the rifle it had a very heavy barrel, which I'm having turned down. The 'smith said that would pare it down by about 8 ounces. If I can put a light scope on it, paired with the standard aluminum Weaver base/ring combo (low and light), the rifle should come in somewhere a touch under 8 pounds, which is perfectly fine for my use. I can't hold super lightweight rifles steady enough to do much with them.

Thanks for the suggestions. They're helpful.

RM

Some meathead has a 4x32 Conquest for sale in the classifieds right now:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...est-4x32-nikon-monarch-4x40#Post14594896
Thinkin a Leupold 2.5x20 might be my next scope. And I'd like a Weaver V3.

The Z3 looks nice and I'd maybe try one if I had a rifle with a 60° bolt where I could mount it extra low.
I snagged 3 Leupold VX1 2-7x33 scopes for my encore and model sevens in the last couple years. They are 9.8oz
Mounted a SWFA LW MOA 2 X 10 on my LH Forbes 7-08 2 shots to sight it in! The eye relief does not seem an issue to me very clear bright scope. With a Leupold would probably still be trying to sight it in.

Originally Posted by kk alaska
Mounted a SWFA LW MOA 2 X 10 on my LH Forbes 7-08 2 shots to sight it in! The eye relief does not seem an issue to me very clear bright scope. With a Leupold would probably still be trying to sight it in.

Was similarly impressed with this scope (swfa) on a 6 creed FC ...
RevMike: I recently bought a Leupold 2x7 variable "Rimfire" model for a lightweight rimfire application I was needing. Its working real well for me - just as I thought it would.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by beretzs
Mike, I use a bunch of the FFII 3x9 Burris and the Meopta's as well. Both fill in the gap for me.

Yeah, the burris ffII w/ballistic plex reticle scopes i use on most of my hunting rifles weigh in at 13 ozs
The Meopta 6x42 is a pretty heavy scope compared to the Leupold 6x36. I put a Meopta on my 6.5CM then bought a nice little Weaver 6x38. The Weaver is under 10 oz while the Meopta is 15 oz. The Meopta probably has the better glass but I replaced the Meopta with the Weaver.
I have a couple of SWFA Ultralights and I am quite happy with them. Eyerelueg has not been an issue, but they are not in kickers. In a couple if rights with a little more oomph I use the now discontinued Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32.

ILya
It's almost funny that as recent as a year or so ago, there were threads that contained many posts that scoffed at the thought of buying ANY Chinese made scope and that all of them were crap. I have never had that attitude. I have been using Holosun red dot sights for years with no problems at all.
Enter the Burris FF and E1 series scopes. They seen to be very popular here on the Fire. If if needed (or wanted) to buy another scope right now and the Chinese made Burris fit my use, I'd buy one in a heart beat. I have stated this in an old thread before and I will repeat it. Within probably 5 to 10 years, maybe less, China will be marketing alpha class scopes that will not be dirt cheap, but will be significantly less expensive than any equal scopes made in traditional scope producing nations. And many of those individuals that said they would NEVER buy a Chinese made scope will be lining up to lay their money down for them. RJ
I believe the FF line is made in the Philippines.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
RevMike: I recently bought a Leupold 2x7 variable "Rimfire" model for a lightweight rimfire application I was needing. Its working real well for me - just as I thought it would.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I've been looking at Leupold's 2-7, as well as Burris and Redfield. I have a Redfield 2-7 on a .444 Marlin and it's held up well (yes, I do own a couple of chamberings other than 7x57...but not much). I've also thought about putting one of the Leupold 2-7 rimfires on my practice rifle, a Rem 581. It's not pretty but dang is it accurate. I spent a long time in the business world, and I know how economics works, but I do wish the optics companies would make plain old lightweight scopes with one inch tubes and regular duplex reticles for those of us who aren't twisting dials. Just one or two models as loss-leaders; they could make up the difference in the volume they sell of the others. Yes, I might buy one only so often, but when one of my light hunting scopes finally craps out, I don't want to have to replace it with a 1+ pound beast with a 30mm tube and enough marks on the reticle to make my mother's knitting jealous. But that's just me.
RevMike,

I have a lot of Leupold VX2 2-7X33 on my rifles. They work quite well and meet the lightweight set and hunt criteria. There a smidge under 10oz., very clear to my old eyes and have always held zero. Next for me is a VX3 2.5-8, a VX3i 2.5-X36, and a couple of VX2 3-9X40. The Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 I have is a nice scope, but I find the VX2 3-9X40 a bit clearer and I prefer the eye relief of the Leupold. As slight as it might be, the Leupold is lighter than the Burris. On an ultralight rifle it is noticeable, minorly I admit, but it's still there. On a heavier rifle I wouldn't think it would be noticed.
I run the Leupold FXII 6X36 on 5 of my rimfires and the weight, length, clarity specifications places them head and shoulders above most others in my opinion. Mine sport custom crosshairs and parallax settings.
SockPuppet my info says China https://www.optics-trade.eu/en/burris-fullfield-e1-3-9x40.html
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The bottom of my 3-9x40 E1 says Philipines.
"China" is either a very recent change or a typo. If it really is Chinka they've sold their last product to me.
All my recently purchased Burris scopes have said "Philippines" on the sticker on the underside of the turret housing.
Originally Posted by shootem
"China" is either a very recent change or a typo. If it really is Chinka they've sold their last product to me.

The new FF IV makes me wonder given the price tags and taking so long to come to market after introduction.
Anything Swaro in a 1" Tube. Buy and Cry, Then ENJOY!
© 24hourcampfire