Home
I like Leupold scopes. In your opinion, what is the best Leupold scope to put on a Ruger 10/22?
VXII 1-4 ............. I put a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on mine.

Latest one I put on a VX-1 2-7x33 duplex and adjusted the parallax to 50 yards.....
A 4x rimfire and install a polymer bolt stop to protect it. 10-22s can be hard on scopes.
I really depends on what your going to do with the rifle.

Hunting rabbits down in the bottoms a 1-4 0r 1.5-6/2-7 would work well with the large FOV providing quick acquisition.

Shooting squirrels out of the tree top, a 2-10, 3-9 giving you more X's to precisely hit half hidden critters.

Shooting ground squirrels out in the pasture a 4-16 or 6-24 wouldn't be out of the question.

My bolt action 22 Mag wears a 1.5-6x40 with Illuminated dot during predator/rabbit(jacks) hunting season hunting season and a 6.5x20 or 8-32 when I put the 22LR barrel on it for the summer.

[Linked Image]

I see the Leupold VX-Freedom scopes in the classifieds for around $150, I have a couple of them and the glass is as good or perhaps better, than my VX-2's. Admittedly I do not care for the looks of the angular adjustment housing but I don't see it when I am looking through the scope. I have had one on a 10/22 for a couple of years and have put a few 1000 rounds through it with no issues.

drover
4-12X
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2-7X

Straight 4X aint bad.
The FX rimfire (latest) is very short and IMHO looks like chit. Had one on a Mannlicher 10/22.
The Freedom might be OK on a plastic stock or modern looking 10/22.

But if walnut...........its an older model for me. Set and forget
But my rifles were hunters.
I have two of them with the old 3x Leupolds and standard duplex reticle. Bullet-proof and perfectly adequate for things a 22 is able to do easily.
Originally Posted by aalf

Latest one I put on a VX-1 2-7x33 duplex and adjusted the parallax to 50 yards.....

Yes hats a great scope for a 10-22. They were once offered set at 50 yards for rimfires. I have one. Love it.
The 1.5-5x20 on a 10/22 is pretty killer.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
The 1.5-5x20 on a 10/22 is pretty killer.

^^^^^THIS^^^^ or the 1- 4x20.
A 4X Compact is a nice scope for any 22[Linked Image]
I like that picture. Looks like a one shot kill.
There is a bit of a back story to that picture
Fox
At least used to be that you could call and buy any model direct from them, and for a $15 charge they would set the parralex where you want it. Might be worth a call.
Last I checked, to send one in to adjust, they charged $25.00.

Pretty simple to do it yourself for nothing.
My own 10/22 Sporter like Hookeye's wears a Leupold 2.5-8x36 Vari-Xlll in low Weaver rings. That scope has been perfectly serviceable even though the parallax is probably set for a larger rifle. I'm more of a hunter than a target shooter and the parallax issue has never been a problem. I figure that I can wiggle more than any parallax issue and I mounted that scope before I even realized what it was. Subsequently I put a 3-9x32 AO Rimfire on my M61 and I like that one because I can adjust the parallax down to 10 meters which has been my typical red squirrel shooting range around the cottage. That Rimfire scope has a very fine Duplex cross hair, but while a little too fine for my taste, it works well for precision shooting. If rabbits on the run were on the menu, I'd put my 1-5-5x20 Vari-Xlll on that 10/22.
Originally Posted by aalf
Last I checked, to send one in to adjust, they charged $25.00.

Pretty simple to do it yourself for nothing.

How about a tutorial for those who do not know how?
2-7 or similar is all you need for a plinking 22
My 10/22 has viper 2-7
My dads 10/22 vx1 2-7
My RAR 22 tract 3-12 BDC
How is this done? I have a VX-Freedom that needs set to 100yds.
How is this done? I have a VX-Freedom that needs set to 100yds.
I have an older VX-1 2-7x33 on my 10-22. Works great, zeroed at 50yds.
I never saw the need to put a higher dollar scope on a 22. I have peeled many a squirrel head off with a Simmons Rimfire scope that cost $40.

That being said I've shot the Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x Rimfire scope and found it excellant. That was on a 17 caliber so you are reaching out a bit farther than with a 22lr.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4867983/1
If one goes through serious rounds with his 10/22, I'd suggest he select some springer (air rifle) rated optics. Local rancher where I shoot ground squirrels does about 10 to 15 bricks a year with a 10/22 and eats a low end Bushnell 4X about every two years. All a write off for him.
An SWFA 6x will fix that lol
IMHO a good .22 rifle should wear a decent scope.
A reg M8 4x or compact will work, and has enough tube length to fit a wide range of setups.
Had a 2.5-8X on my checkered fingergroove, and shot it at 6X (max) at 50 yards.
Couldn't run 8X unless farther out.

For me, my squirrels are almost always shot offhand, so a 4X seems ideal.

Unfortunately w the Freedom line coming out, old nicer looking Leupolds have been priced beyond silly.

My CZ455 now wears the VX1 2-7X and my 4X compact is on the reg fingergroove.
I need a reg M8 or a compact for my 760 before deer season LOL.
But I might go 1-4X or 1.5-5X.
I agree that a 22 rifle should wear a decent scope. Most guys shoot more 22 rounds than anything else. If you put a cheap scope on your 22, you’ll be doing most of your shooting with a cheap scope. A top quality scope will make 22 more enjoyable to shoot.
Makes for a nicer heirloom too
Pharmvet: I have a BUNCH of Ruger 10/22's and have used even more scopes on them (I am a notorious "scope switcher"!).
My favorite scope for a Ruger 10/22 is a Leupold 4x12 with A/O (adjustable objective) and fine Du-Plex reticle.
I have done most everything there is to be done with that set-up and done it VERY well, indeed.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose - but I highly recommend an adjustable objective model of what ever scope you decide on.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
About two months ago when I checked, Leupold was not taking work for the Custom Shop. This included parallax adjustment. They wouldn't do it but advised to no try it myself. That seemed like a dead end. The hardest part was getting the bell end loose.
I have a little 4x28 rimfire on mine that works nice. Guy had a 2-7x28 for sale on here within the last couple weeks. Hadn’t sold the last time I checked.
A 3x9 with a fine crosshair if you can find one. A 3.5x10 if you buy a new one.

Thanks aalf
I have tried to use several Leupolds with parallax that was set at the factory for 150 yards, but that did not work out for me.

The sight picture maybe clear enough to shoot, but move your head up and down slightly and watch the cross hair bounce up and down...you really dont know where you are aiming.
I sure hate they stopped making their old classic 2-7 rimfire

I put their fixed 4x on my last one.
I have the 1.75-6x32 VariX III that came off a 375H&H it seems to be about perfect for targets & squirrels & holds up to my son & grandsons less than tender treatment.
Just ordered a Freedom VX 2-7x for a diff .22 rifle (CameralandNY)

So that frees up a VX1 2-7X for the 10/22.
Currently wears a 4x M8 compact.

My 10/22 is a '70 fingergroove so needs an older looking scope IMHO.
The Freedom stuff doesn't look right.

But may be tolerable on my CZ455 or AR

We just received confirmation of another shipment of the Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33 - Duplex #174178 on its way and we just received more of the VX-Freedom 3-9x40 Duplex Scope #174180 with free Leupold #55860 Medium Matte Rings
It all depends on how you use the rifle. I have several 10-22's. A couple that I use for Steel Challenge matches have red dots. I also have a couple set up for more precision shooting with aftermarket barrels and triggers. I have Weaver V-16's with A/O on these. For general hunting/plinking a good 2-7x or 3-9x is fine like the Weavers or Leupolds.
My ol lady has a Bushnell TRS 25 on her 10/22 standard (black/grey lam).

Plinker, its pretty nice.

Hunting, I'd want a smaller dot.
I think a .22 needs a good scope, and not just some cheap piece of crap. Which scope to get would depend on intended use and just how accurate the rifle might be. I do think AO is a necessity if you're going to be playing on the range and trying to shoot tiny groups. For general plinking, a 4x or even a 3x is just fine.
I already posted about 2-7.
But Here is mine and my dad gave his to my boy.
I had an extra stock I messed around with while back in rhino bed liner. Cut it down an inch to help the fit.
1minute- along the same lines I would recommend a recoil buffer. Takes out some of that shock. installs in a minute and costs a few bucks. I put one on same time I mounted the scope.

As for scopes I wanted a smaller objective and went 32mm but it still seems kind of large on the 10/22
I just got a Tract 22 Fire 3-9X40 BDC Rimfire rifle scope.The hash marks on the reticle are good to 150 yards.It is not a small or light scope,but has super good optics for the price.I am putting in on a heavy barred 10/22 I just built.
© 24hourcampfire