Home
I’ve really come to appreciate the value of Burris FullField scopes. Regarding reticles, do Burris users like the E1 reticle? I find it odd the E1 reticle doesn’t extend to the edge of the field of view. Does it have advantages over the Ballistic Plex reticle? I only have experience with the Ballistic Plex. Is there a compelling reason to select one over the other?

Thank you,
Expat
The E1 sucks. I much prefer the old tried and true ballistic plex reticle.
+1
I have both ,for groundhog and coyote scope ,E-1, for big game ,Ballistic plex , thats how i like them
I like them both...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Originally Posted by czech1022
+1

+2
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

+1

+2

+3
The E1 does take a little getting used to, but not terrible. I have a 30mm tube E1 that works fine on a .30-06.
I prefer the FFII, but bought an E1 4.5-14 because it was on sale.

Prices on these are kinda silly. Usually the BP models are cheaper than the duplex. Still, $189 is the most I have in any of my three.
We are running Burris Droptine 4.5-14x42mm - G2B Mil-Dot for only $149.99
Originally Posted by Ghostman

+1

+2

+3

+4

Just too busy
+5! I do like that the entire ocular didn’t turn on the E1 but I hated the reticle enough to just stick with the FFII with Original ballistic Plex. Have 4 or 5 now and find them perfect general purpose big game or varmint rifles.
I don't think the E1 makes a good big game reticle, so I'd stick with the Ballistic Plex reticle for the FF-II 3-9Xs. For the 4.5-14x and 6.5-20x scopes, I like the E1 reticle just fine because those will be used for different purposes. I was a little surprised that the reticle did not extend from edge to edge in the view, but after having used them a bit on the range that does not bother me at all.
Originally Posted by rem shooter
I have both ,for groundhog and coyote scope ,E-1, for big game ,Ballistic plex , thats how i like them

Agreed. And I like that the whole ocular doesn't turn on the E1.
Originally Posted by MikeNZ
Originally Posted by rem shooter

Agreed. And I like that the whole ocular doesn't turn on the E1.

Huh. Now that I look at the Burris lineup more closely, it looks like the FF-II line all have the same ocular that turns when adjusting zoom, and that the E1s do not. I am sitting here pondering that...wondering why Burris adopted that design for the FF-II line when they did not have to do so. Am I overlooking something?
Burris made the WHITETAILS UNLIMITED and PIONEER scopes for Pentax and they were just BURRIS FULLFIELD 2 scopes. The WHITETAILS UNLIMITED scopes had a power ring that turned independently of the eye piece like most scopes while the PIONEER was same one piece eyepiece/power ring as the regular FULLFIELD 2. I always wondered why they didn’t just start using the WHITETAILS UNLIMITED design since so many people complain about the eyepiece turning.
I prefer the E1 but won’t be selling off theFFII scopes.
Originally Posted by Ghostman

+1

+2

+3

+4
Can't stand the FFII with the whole eyepiece turning. Don't like the normal E1 reticle. Y'all should check out the E1 with illuminated #4. I have one and like it a LOT.
magshooter- yep, bet of the lot and a hell of a good scope.
In addition to not extending all the way to the edge of the viewing field, the E1 reticle is finer. For big game hunting I prefer the FFII reticle.
I like the E1 reticle what I do not like is the knobby wind age and elevation covers.
Slightly off topic, but still on the Burris train,...I wish I could find another of their C4 plus scopes in 3-9 or possibly one in a higher magnification range. I bought one several years ago at a huge savings and with the exception of the adjustment ring and the magnification markings, it's about perfect for my uses. The clarity is noticeably better than my older Nikon Monarchs.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Slightly off topic, but still on the Burris train,...I wish I could find another of their C4 plus scopes in 3-9 or possibly one in a higher magnification range. I bought one several years ago at a huge savings and with the exception of the adjustment ring and the magnification markings, it's about perfect for my uses. The clarity is noticeably better than my older Nikon Monarchs.

The C4 plus rifles scopes are discontinued. The closest option is the AR 556 and AR762 rifles scopes. I use those with the C4 and windplex reticle on all of my AR's. Damn near like it as much as my Nightforce scopes... Truth be told, I'm running an AR762 rifle scope on one of my Tikka superlites as well. The scopes are clear and bright and they track well and return to zero very well.. However, the majority of my hunting rifles get the FFII 3-9x40 W/ballistic plex reticles. The whole ocular turning when adjusting power range doesn't even bother me, but does take some time to get used to it. Just know that you will not be able to use a butler creek flip up on that end of the scope. I always use a flip up on the objective end though, to keep the rain and snow out... I've personally never liked having a flip up cover on the ocular side anyway..

The C4 plus rifles scopes are discontinued. The closest option is the AR 556 and AR762 rifles scopes. I use those with the C4 and windplex reticle on all of my AR's. Damn near like it as much as my Nightforce scopes... Truth be told, I'm running an AR762 rifle scope on one of my Tikka superlites as well. The scopes are clear and bright and they track well and return to zero very well.. However, the majority of my hunting rifles get the FFII 3-9x40 W/ballistic plex reticles. The whole ocular turning when adjusting power range doesn't even bother me, but does take some time to get used to it. Just know that you will not be able to use a butler creek flip up on that end of the scope. I always use a flip up on the objective end though, to keep the rain and snow out... I've personally never liked having a flip up cover on the ocular side anyway..

I appreciate the tip on the AR scopes. I knew the C4 was discontinued, probably why I go a deal on the 1 I have. I agree with you on flip-up caps.

I'll give the AR series a look.👍

I appreciate the tip on the AR scopes. I knew the C4 was discontinued, probably why I go a deal on the 1 I have. I agree with you on flip-up caps.

I'll give the AR series a look.👍

No problem buddy. Here's what they look like on my Tikka and Ruger m77 mkII:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The reticle is simple and works great for my uses (paper punching and hunting):
C4 W/Windplex:

I also wanted to post some pics of the reticles in question for the OP.

Tried and true Ballistic plex reticle found in the FFII 3-9x40:

Now, the one I just dislike. I have owned a couple scopes with this E1 reticle, tried to like them, but just don't like them at all. For one reason, I punch a lot of paper on the off season (like a lot of you guys do) and I found this particular reticle bothersome. It is just too small and busy. The small dots in the reticle would throw me off when looking downrange at a target, I thought I had holes in the paper where I hadn't shot. You can't spot for anyone or yourself using this particular rifle scope:
E1 reticle:

A good thread needs good pictures.....
And both of the reticles stated are different than the Long Range MOA correct? Any feedback on that reticle?

Originally Posted by nuguy
Burris made the WHITETAILS UNLIMITED and PIONEER scopes for Pentax and they were just BURRIS FULLFIELD 2 scopes. The WHITETAILS UNLIMITED scopes had a power ring that turned independently of the eye piece like most scopes while the PIONEER was same one piece eyepiece/power ring as the regular FULLFIELD 2. I always wondered why they didn’t just start using the WHITETAILS UNLIMITED design since so many people complain about the eyepiece turning.
Sounds like you should look at the Droptine. It has the same glass and coatings as the Fullfield ii. The Droptine has an independent magnification zoom ring and independent AO (4.5-14x42, no 6.5-20 size) for use with flip caps.

Burris said the FF ii has the rotating bells because it eliminates a sealing surface, therby having less potential failure points in the field. A good concept. I’ve never had a Droptine fail but not of them are old enough for the seals to dry.
Originally Posted by Lw308
And both of the reticles stated are different than the Long Range MOA correct? Any feedback on that reticle?

Correct, they are also different from the G2B mil-dot which is probably closest to the Long Range MOA reticle. Both are too busy for me.
The E1 is too small and busy for my eyes. I prefer thicker crosshairs in a simple plex or slightly modified like the Ballistic Plex for big game.

The E1 MV (milling varmint) is hard to look at at first but works after a couple magazines of settle in time. It is designed for 22-250 trajectory but works ok for 17hmr drop when you cut the range.
Just a FWIW, we have the following Burris scopes in stock and can work with you if you are interested in any of these, so please give a call:

#200341 Fullfield E1 6.5-20x50mm - Ballistic Plex E1 MV

#200338 Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42mm - Ballistic Plex E1

#200320 Fullfield E1 3-9x40mm - Ballistic Plex E1

#200078 Droptine 4.5-14x42mm - G2B Mil-Dot

#200049 Droptine 3x-9x50mm - Ballistic Plex

Call for special pricing, 516-217-1000
© 24hourcampfire