Home
My little brother wants a pair of binos to use while hiking around looking for shed antlers. He can't afford much. His budget is under $200.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: aalf Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 03/31/20
https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-blue-sky-8x32-binoculars-rubber-armored.html

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793
Originally Posted by Supertrucker
My little brother wants a pair of binos to use while hiking around looking for shed antlers. He can't afford much. His budget is under $200.

Any suggestions?

No question....

Athlon Midas 8x42 on sale reduced to only $199.99

ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
Posted By: Bater Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 03/31/20
Vortex Diamondbacks
I have a couple Redfield Rebels that were about $150. My beater quad glass. Tough and waterproof....
Good FOV on the Midas.
Originally Posted by hunter5325
Vortex Diamondbacks

Friends don’t let friends buy Vortex, let alone Brother’s !!
Posted By: Dre Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 03/31/20
Tell him to stay in A weekend or two and save an extra 100 bucks and get some monarch or meoptas.
Buy once, cry once
+1 on the Redfield Rebel
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Good FOV on the Midas.

The Midas was rated best in class 2 years in a row and we just jumped on a deal to be able to offer the 8x42's for only $199.99 and the 12x50's for only $299.99

Anyone who buys them and doesn't agree that for these prices they are a home run can send them back
Posted By: Bater Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 03/31/20
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by hunter5325
Vortex Diamondbacks

Friends don’t let friends buy Vortex, let alone Brother’s !!

I would agree on their lower end scopes but I dig their binos for the money

that is a good pair of binocs for the money
Posted By: Kenvel Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 05/20/20
https://wildproofgear.com/best-budget-binoculars-under-100-00/ - such "budget-friendly" binocs would be certainly made overseas.

I would look for Nicon Aculon 10x42.
The image isn't the best when compared to mid-range binocs but they are durable and lightweight. 1,2 lbs is more than enough to hold em steady in your hands to see things.
Originally Posted by gaswamp

They are a fantastic bargain, a homerun for image/size/weight/price

I've handed mine to many birders and non-gear sluts and its a uniform response "wow, these are nice".
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 05/20/20
When hiking I find myself always grabbing my 8x32's over anything larger. . Much more comfortable. My main suggestion would be to look for a pair that have dieelectric coatings. It will mean you are getting a step up from base model bin's and they will definitely surprise you with how bright a smaller pair can be. Those little SII Sightrons have a huge following but I would still go with something more modern- dielectric. My pick might be the Celestron Trailseeker for about $185. You can check reviews- think he would be thrilled with them.
Posted By: KH1473 Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 05/20/20
I have the Sightron blue sky 8x32 and they’re great
Diamondbacks are hard to beat under $200. Leupold BX-2s can be had for under $200 as well.
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Diamondbacks are hard to beat under $200. Leupold BX-2s can be had for under $200 as well.

Have you looked through an Athlon Midas?
Posted By: AZmark Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 05/20/20
I have a pair of Optolyth Alpin 12x50 that are about 12 yrs old. Asking $200 plus shipping
Doug--Your Athlon Midas must be different from mine. Side by Side against my Vortex Diamondbacks they come up short by quite a bit. Both glasses are 10x42.
I have a set of Nikon Monarch 7 8x30's w/ box and all accessories that I will sell him for $200. They are head and shoulders above new binos in that price range. PM me if you are interested. Read a few reviews from bird watchers - they are always near the top for their price range.
Tag for later reference
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Doug--Your Athlon Midas must be different from mine. Side by Side against my Vortex Diamondbacks they come up short by quite a bit. Both glasses are 10x42.

Yours must be quite a bit different than the Midas I had, which was every bit the equal of the Vortex Viper HD.
If that is the case, I would like to send my Athlon Midas in and get them checked out. They definitely come up short beside my Diamondbacks. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
If that is the case, I would like to send my Athlon Midas in and get them checked out. They definitely come up short beside my Diamondbacks. Any suggestions?

I agree. Contact Athlon as the Midas is a superior optic
I have a pair of Theron Wapiti 8x32 in excellent condition for $145 if you are interested. Check them out, the reviews are very good, they are extremely similar to the highly touted bang for the buck Sightrons. Bird forum has many reviews.

I bought both, couldnt decide which to return so I kept both. Its redundant.

The 8x32 are sold out on therons website, but the larger 10x42(?) are still available new.
Posted By: Quak Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 05/21/20
Ha! I just had a chance to look through some Midas and was actually shocked at how good they were.

The best I’ve see by a huge margin at that price
Redfield Rebel 8x42 are very good for $150 or so. I have a pair in the ATV and they have held up well.
Redfield Rebel 8x42 are very good for $150 or so. I have a pair in the ATV and they have held up well.
Redfield Rebel 8x32 are very good for $150 or so. I have a pair in the ATV and they have held up well.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by centershot
I have a set of Nikon Monarch 7 8x30's w/ box and all accessories that I will sell him for $200. They are head and shoulders above new binos in that price range. PM me if you are interested. Read a few reviews from bird watchers - they are always near the top for their price range.

Don't know why this thread went any farther than this post. Jump on these.
I have the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32’s in my truck- they are a terrific 2nd pair to back up my 10x42 SLC’s.
Posted By: Quak Re: Best Binocular under $200 ? - 05/23/20
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by centershot

Don't know why this thread went any farther than this post. Jump on these.

True...monarch 7 is an awesome scope BUT...it is made in China. Of course what isn’t at $200
Those 8x42 Midas are impressive for $200. The Bushnell Engage or Legend M would be worth a look also
© 24hourcampfire