Home
Posted By: willyp Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/13/20
I am looking for suggestions for a pair of binos to use while hiking and hunting...

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Quak Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/13/20
New? Meopro HD 8x42 imho. I remember when they were $800

Nikon Monarch 7 is also very good but Chinese

Vortex is not good and Chinese but I’m sure you can find a half off coupon as they pass them out like toilette paper

Have heard great things about Kowa at that price but have never looked through them nor do I know where they are made...hopefully Japan

Call camera land NY...best prices in the buiz
I second calling Cameraland. And Doug will be able to give you several options in the $500 range.
I have the Meopta 8x. Very hard to beat it for the money . Don’t think you will be disappointed with them.
GreggH
The latest Burris Signature HD binoculars are outstanding, and made in Japan. New they're under $500.
Really liking the Hawke Frontier 10x42 ED X. I bought these for a cheaper travel pair and I liked them so well I sold my Leica Geovids!!!

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com
See I’m totally against quak on this. I love my vortex razor HD’s.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The latest Burris Signature HD binoculars are outstanding, and made in Japan. New they're under $500.

Thanks for mentioning Burris, hadn't thought of those.

How do they compare to the Tract Torics and have you had a chance to look at Kowas?

Appreciate your advice...Thanks!
Posted By: Quak Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/14/20
Originally Posted by Weissman4
See I’m totally against quak on this. I love my vortex razor HD’s.

LoL no disrespect intended. Opinions will vary

Burris is part of the Steiner family now or vice versa and I’d imagine Japanese made optics from that group would be great.

Tract optics are great but understand they are only a third party importer. If they close up shop all service etc is gone and it happens fast in optics. This has been done before...anyone recall zen ray? There was just a recent post about them iirc

I’d be very hesitant to buy from a direct seller and one without some longevity...but that’s just me

I’ve actually had these as well and was impressed. I believe they’re actually around the $350 range. I bought these over the Vortex Vipers.
I really like my Nikon Monarch 7's in 8x42. Just wish the were not made in the PRC. I had multiple gift cards to burn or I would have purchased from Doug. Bought some Minox bins from him years ago and would suggest calling Cameraland NY before making a choice.
The Meopro 8x42 is tough to beat under $500. I think the Monarch 7 would be a step below but it is still nice. It's also more compact/lighter
Posted By: Dre Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/14/20
While I loved the monarch 7
I got the Tracts for little more than your budget.
Night and day difference
https://tractoptics.com/binoculars

Give them a call, ask for a 5% discount. These binoculars are excellent. They are much better than the Vipers I had....I sold them after receiving my Tract binoculars. They are better than the Cabelas Meoptas that I still own.
Here's another vote against the Vortex Vipers. I had the 10x50's, and while they were decently sharp, I was unhappy about a lot of little things: how the eye cups don't click solidly into place as you move them up or down, and occasionally have to deal with one suddenly being lower than the other; how the diopter can be easily bumped out of position when holding them in a normal viewing grip, leaving you with a fuzzy image; how the lenses are touchy about having to be precisely lined up with my eyes so I have to jiggle them around, searching for a sharp view; how the focus was heavy and just too fast, making it a chore to zero in on a target.

My Minox 10x44 BR HD's bought from Doug on sale beat them like a drum.
Take a look at this Meopta Meopro Binocular sale thread from the other day

#562530 10x32 HD Meopro reduced from $449.99 to only $349.99

#562540 8x42 HD Meopro reduced from $479.99 to only $374.99

#562550 10x42 HD reduced from $499.99 to only $399.99

#580230 8x56 HD reduced from $699.99 to only $499.99

I doubt you'll find a better binocular deal whiule these demo/open box units are available. Give a call, 516-217-1000, if you're interested in one
Originally Posted by Lennie
https://tractoptics.com/binoculars

Give them a call, ask for a 5% discount. These binoculars are excellent. They are much better than the Vipers I had....I sold them after receiving my Tract binoculars. They are better than the Cabelas Meoptas that I still own.

They're supposed to be doing a Memorial Day sale. 10% is what I think Jon said
If a guy can get a Tract Toric for around $500 it is a no brainer, IMO.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
If a guy can get a Tract Toric for around $500 it is a no brainer, IMO.

I purchased a demo Tract 12.5X50 for $500 and I like it more than my Ultrivid 10X42
Posted By: aalf Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/14/20

These are a steal......

https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...0135-d061-00163e90e196?variation=1605494
Posted By: RNF Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/14/20
In the classifieds now.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...876199/gonew/1/wts-meopro-8x42-hd#UNREAD
Originally Posted by Dre
Night and day difference

Interesting....Even though I really liked my Monarch 7 8x42s, I bought the tract 8x42s with plans of selling my Nikons.

After lots of evaluation and comparisons, I sold the Tract and kept the Nikons. The Nikons fit my face better and didn’t give up anything optically in my opinion. Crazy I know cause they are made in China. I really wanted to convince myself to keep the tracts but just couldn’t do it.
The best binocular around $500 is the Steiner Wildlife XP 8x44 demo model at Camera Land for $549.99. I would talk Doug about these are an absolute steal, normally retailing for $2000. That is what I would get.
Posted By: Quak Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/14/20
This is why you always call Doug first...you never know what he has up his sleeve lol.

Those Steiners are optically excellent...but they eye cups blow goats and I don’t mean the wing everyone bitches about. The wings are great. They rattle and move fairly freely and are all around jenkey and very fragile...ask me how I know.

Also pretty heavy imho...mine weigh a good deal more than published weight

But for $550...yea Best Buy material depending on personal preferences.

I keep hearing great things about the 8x42 tract but haven’t looked through one...and zen ray has me spooked about d2c type products.

If it were my money and I had $500 to use for a new Bino...I’d pick up meopro hds. 1000 opens the sky’s for Nikon HGs and Meostars which are both alpha level imho but some here are more experienced
One of the great things about the Burris binoculars is the light weight. My 8x42 weighs 28 ounces WITH the excellent strap and lens covers. Many 8x42s weigh more than that bare.

When I stated they cost less than $500, that was a general price-point. When they first appeared in 2017 the real-world retail price was $300. It has gone up a little since then, but various models are still around $400, give or take.

Have been using the 8x42 a LOT since then, and it has held up perfectly.
Great info, JB.

Have you tried their 10x42 or 12x50?

Jason
Posted By: Dre Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by Wesley2
Originally Posted by Dre
Night and day difference

Interesting....Even though I really liked my Monarch 7 8x42s, I bought the tract 8x42s with plans of selling my Nikons.

After lots of evaluation and comparisons, I sold the Tract and kept the Nikons. The Nikons fit my face better and didn’t give up anything optically in my opinion. Crazy I know cause they are made in China. I really wanted to convince myself to keep the tracts but just couldn’t do it.

Interesting indeed.
My monarch 7 are my daughters 8x30
While tract is 10x42.
Don’t get me wrong I love the size, weight and what they offer.
But the tracts just fit me better and “I” love them
Posted By: Quak Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/15/20
One of the great things about the Burris binoculars is the light weight. My 8x42 weighs 28 ounces WITH the excellent strap and lens covers. Many 8x42s weigh more than that bare.

When I stated they cost less than $500, that was a general price-point. When they first appeared in 2017 the real-world retail price was $300. It has gone up a little since then, but various models are still around $400, give or take.

Have been using the 8x42 a LOT since then, and it has held up perfectly.

Damn...28oz is fantastic. I will be checking these out
I am surprised no one has mention Maven's. When I was looking 6 months ago they were an oft recommended bino.
I like my Monarch 7 10x42's more than my Zeiss conquest 10x42's which cost double. LL Bean is always offering 20% off and carries the Monarch line often with free shipping. The Burris John mentioned are intriguing, I'd definitely check them out. I have no experience with the Tract's, but prefer the Nikon to comparable Meopta and Vortex.
Posted By: WAM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 - 05/16/20
Burris Signature 8x42s are really good glass. Not sure about Droptine cheaper model. One of my friends has a Signature 8x42 and I’ve taken them for a test drive. Very good glass, indeed. Not sure they are on par with my Leica Trinovids but excellent nonetheless. I think if I’d seen the Burris first, I’d have them instead of the Leica’s. Happy Trails
© 24hourcampfire