Home
Posted By: CJS Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/24/20
I just purchased a rem700 varmit special. Someday I will have this gun in every caliber it was made. The older wood heavy blued barrel. That’s a conversation for another day.
Anyway this one came with a Bausch and Lomb elite 4000 6-24. Just looking for opinions And thoughts from experience with this scope.
Thanks for your time.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/24/20
Excellent scopes. Some of the best glass I own and the adjustments have always been accurate and predictable. IMO, one of the better varmint scopes available- I wish they still made them as they morphed into the 4200, then the Bushnell 4200 Elite and 4500, thenother models until now the Elites have been pretty much discontinued....

If you wanted to get rid of it I would be in the market, but if I were you I would hold onto it and use it...

Bob
I’d keep it, agree.

I had one on a .220 Swift Ruger #1. Sold it with the rifle.

Excellent quality.

DF
Posted By: ldholton Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/25/20
Elite 4000 same as 4200 minus raingaurd ,
Good scopes for sure. Always super clear glass to my eyes.

Have had a couple and liked them as good as the 4200 series.
I have had one on a 6mm Rem 700 VLS for about 15 years. I use it for prairie dog shooting. It's on its 2nd or 3rd barrel. No problems, great optics.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/25/20
Excellent scope. I'd leave it on the gun without reservation if the power range suites your purpose.
Posted By: CJS Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/25/20
Thanks for the input. I’ve been away from the camp fire for awhile but found my way back.
I think I will be leaving the scope on the gun. 👍🇺🇸
Posted By: Terryk Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/25/20
Excellent scope. Popular for silhouette shooting. Track well and have a nice AO.
Pretty long making it easy to mount on guns like the Ruger #1 if you, like me, want the scope set back a bit..

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: 338rcm Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/25/20
Great Scopes!
Posted By: mathman Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Pretty long making it easy to mount on guns like the Ruger #1 if you, like me, want the scope set back a bit..

DF

Especially since they weren't known for having the most eye relief.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Especially since they weren't known for having the most eye relief.

No, not the most generous ER, but on the .220 Swift shown above or similar, they're really good.

DF
Posted By: CJS Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/27/20
Messed around with it finally this morning. Just looking through it and zooming in on things at the cabin. Going to keep it. I can see the ER downside but I think she will be just fine.
Thanks again.
Your 700 chambered for what round?

DF
Posted By: CJS Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/27/20
700 BDL varmit special 22-250
Originally Posted by CJS
700 BDL varmit special 22-250

Sounds like a perfect combo.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/27/20
Had one back in the day on a heavy 26 inch barreled M-70 in 243 Win, great glass, used it to guide 55 gr NBT's and 58gr Vmax's to 4150 fps with RL-15, VERMIN BOMB it was, that said, I just installed a gloss Elite 2.5-10 I've had forever on a 30-06, it's my scope rifle that isn't combo, a Bausch & Lomb made in Japan sitting on a 50's built L61R Sako that reads Colt Coltsman! ; ]
Here's a 3-9x40 B&L on a .17HMR, model 1717 Annie. Great vintage scope, good A/O and glass is very clear and bright.

Shot this target with it.

Just realized, that was nearly 10 yrs ago. Haven't shot it that much recently. Too many other projects ongoing.

DF

Posted By: CJS Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/28/20
I have Bought guns in the past with scopes on them that I have instantly taken off and given To my kids to play with and rescoped the rifle with something newer. Lol. This one will be staying on the gun.
Here’s another question. A year ago I bought a Remington 700 varmint special 243 from the same guy with the what he said was the good Tasco scope. What does that mean. Was there a time or where they were made that made them “good”? I always remember the scope on my moms deer rifle that I used was a tasco and it was garbage. It did what I needed it to do was put a bullet in deer at 100yards so we never changed it. I have since updated. This tasco on the .243 is way clearer than that one on the deer rifle.
Thanks for everyone’s input.
If it's an older Tasco made in Japan, it may be OK.

My son has a 7RM M-70 push feed with a Tasco Titan. It's a big 30mm scope made in Japan. Tasco never made anything, just a repackaging, import house, sorta like Bushnell. Some of their stuff is really good.

With the Titan, they were reportedly going after Alpha Euro's and the Titan was their answer. BUT, who's gonna buy a $600 scope with "Tasco" stamped on it. Evidently not many. Their price point was probably OK for the quality, just didn't go over.

Those can be had for much less than they're really worth; I've seen'em for $150 or so on Ebay. You can tell, examining a Titan, the quality is there, the brand killed it.

DF

Edited to add, “made in Japan” is the key. I think later Titans were made in China.
So, Japan is the key. Chicom not so much.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Bausch & Lomb elite 4000 - 05/28/20
Dirtfarmer that’s a great looking rig, thanks for sharing.
© 24hourcampfire