Home
Posted By: SLDUCK Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20
How come Leupold no longer offers this or do they? I want one for a 444 1895 marlin
Posted By: reivertom Re: Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20
Because it's not cool anymore. It looks too "plain" even though they might work great for our use, everything is "tachticool" or nothing these days.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20
Quit bitching and get a 3lb SWFA 1-40x 60mm obj. You will be able to shoot in the dark and look cool doing it.
Posted By: rj308 Re: Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20
So now if you want a decent "all up rifle weight", you'll HAVE to buy an ultra-light rifle to get there because of the obese weight of the porky scope. RJ
Posted By: Labman95 Re: Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20
Leupold doesn't make these scopes anymore. I had one and it was a great scope. Something came loose inside my scope and I sent it back to Lleupold for repair. They wouldn't fix the scope and gave me a new scope. They didn't have anything similar in their new scopes so I had to settle on an FX II 6x36. Since then they discontinued that scope as well. I recently had to send back an M8-4X which had an object floating around inside. Again they wouldn't fix it and gave me a new FX3 6x42.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20
SLDUCK,

There have been two generations of 3x Leupolds, the original M8 models, and the later FX model, introduced around 2007, quite a while after the M8 had been discontinued. The FX 3x20 had click adjustments, and was only available through the Custom Shop. It appeared due to demand from some shooters, though not vast numbers, because many found the much shorter 2.5x20 sometimes could not be mounted correctly on long bolt-actions, especially those chambered in big "African" cartridges. (I have two, one a prototype built just before the reintroduction, to see if the 3x could be pretty easily manufactured using parts from already existing FX models, and one of the custom-shop versions, which was on a .416 Rigby I used for quite a while before selling it a couple years ago, and is now on my Mark X Whitworth .375 H&H.)

But eventually the market for the new model started to dry up, for two reasons. First, most hunters who really wanted a 3x Leupold bought one, or more--but the new scope also had to compete with the M8s already on the used market. Second, most "modern" hunters are convinced they must have a variable scope--and that 3x isn't enough for anything except "woods" hunting, meaning inside 100 yards.

One of the realities of capitalism is that products not many people buy aren't manufactured anymore--especially if the original product lasts a long time, whether 3x Leupolds or 99 Savages--because the manufacturer eventually starts competing with its own product.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20
There is no such thing as an 1895 444 rifle
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20

I have three of them.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20
JohnnyLoco,

Google "Marlin 1895 .444" and see what comes up on the Marlin website.
Posted By: erich Re: Leupold fixed 3 x - 05/27/20
It might be lack of demand, they have the Ultralight 2.5x still in the line up that would work just as well or better than the 3x, it is lighter and has more FOV. Yes it is a short scope but on the 1894 it shouldn't make a difference and on a bolt action, extension rings or even cutting a new cross slot in a one piece mount would work, I do it all the time to get the proper eye relief as I have rather odd measurements..

I'm old with not the greatest eyes(double cataract surgery 20 yrs ago) and have no problems with 1.5x scopes(Weaver K-1.5) under 200 yards.

My big game drilling with a Weaver K-1.5 the groups at 100 yards.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

There are the Leupold VX 1-4x20's, Freedom 1.5-4x20's and VX-3 1.5-5x20's that work really well, in my opion better than a fixed 2.5 or 3 as you have the option of a much larger FOV.

Coyote hunting drilling with VX-1-4x20mm

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
© 24hourcampfire