Home
Posted By: Jim in Idaho PID controller - 08/25/20
Who uses a PID controller, and if so what brand do you use and where did you get it? Anything else you want to add would be welcome.

Got a Lee Magnum 20 pound pot, no bottom pour. I spent some time with a lead thermometer determining what stable temp various settings give but that was with a full pot. Was thinking of trying a PID to maintain a more stable temp.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: PID controller - 08/26/20
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Who uses a PID controller, and if so what brand do you use and where did you get it? Anything else you want to add would be welcome.

Got a Lee Magnum 20 pound pot, no bottom pour. I spent some time with a lead thermometer determining what stable temp various settings give but that was with a full pot. Was thinking of trying a PID to maintain a more stable temp.

There is a good tutorial on building your own on youtube, out of parts from amazon. With the right parts, it doesn't look that complicated to put together, or very expensive.

I dont cast, but have thought about building one to do salt bath annealing.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: PID controller - 09/29/20
I use a PID controller on my Lee Magnum pot I use to dipper cast heavy black powder paper patch bullets. It improved my cast weight consistancy. MB
Posted By: TenX Re: PID controller - 09/29/20
I've started using one to cast schuetzen plain base bullets and I am very particular about them. Keeps temp consistent and out of a casting session, I have a great deal less unacceptable bullets. I got mine from this guy http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?348755-Hatch-s-PID-FAQ
Posted By: ring3 Re: PID controller - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by TenX
I've started using one to cast schuetzen plain base bullets and I am very particular about them. Keeps temp consistent and out of a casting session, I have a great deal less unacceptable bullets. I got mine from this guy http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?348755-Hatch-s-PID-FAQ

I also use the “Hatch” PID from the link you provided. Watched the vids and started to build my own. Once I added up the time and material cost, buying one from him made more sense.

It works well on my RCBS II and LEE. I’ve also used it for the toaster oven when powder coating.

Really like the consistent temp, ease of use and compact size of the device.
© 24hourcampfire