Home
Posted By: Partsman How to tell hardness - 01/22/21
So was given dads casting stuff when he passed. How can a layman figure out the hardness of the ingots he left and what is in the pot.
Would be nice if there was a way without buying a special tool.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: How to tell hardness - 01/22/21
Checking lead hardness with drawing pencils
Posted By: flintlocke Re: How to tell hardness - 01/22/21
Many possible pencil makers out there, of varying adherence to quality control. The guys at castboolits generally use and recommend the "Mars Lumograph" set made by Staedtler in Germany. Bought mine on ebay a couple years ago, a 12 pencil set in a metal box, for 14 bucks to my door. Borrowed my rich friend's Saeco tester to check the accuracy of the pencils, pencils very accurate.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: How to tell hardness - 01/22/21

Cool series of recommendations. Thanks.
Posted By: Partsman Re: How to tell hardness - 01/23/21
Ordered a hardness tester, thanks for the replies
Posted By: deerstalker Re: How to tell hardness - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Many possible pencil makers out there, of varying adherence to quality control. The guys at castboolits generally use and recommend the "Mars Lumograph" set made by Staedtler in Germany. Bought mine on ebay a couple years ago, a 12 pencil set in a metal box, for 14 bucks to my door. Borrowed my rich friend's Saeco tester to check the accuracy of the pencils, pencils very accurate.

This.
Some of my stash were eye openers when tested. Pencils live on my bench.
Have to guard them from the wife!😤

Wow, this is great. Thanks for the link.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: How to tell hardness - 02/24/21
A good hardness tester trumps anything else.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: How to tell hardness - 02/24/21
I was going to comment about the disconnect between hardness and all the answers so far, but nah, this isnt the fire!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: How to tell hardness - 02/24/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A good hardness tester trumps anything else.

Indeed.
Posted By: blammer Re: How to tell hardness - 02/28/21
fingernail test...

if you can scratch easy with fingernail, it's "lead"

if you can't it's "lino type"

smile

good enough.
Posted By: wahoo Re: How to tell hardness - 02/28/21
if you have any roundball moulds, cast the unknown and compare weight to the weight for that mould in lead.
Posted By: MrHarmless Re: How to tell hardness - 03/13/21
The Lee Hardness tester is super nice to have. In my experience it's plenty accurate.
Posted By: mart Re: How to tell hardness - 03/13/21
Originally Posted by blammer
fingernail test...

smile

good enough.

This is actually fairly accurate as long as one doesn't have whimpy nails. Sometimes you don't have a hardness test close by. This was taught to me a few decades ago by an old bullet caster. He claimed if you could easily gouge the lead with a thumbnail it was soft, south of BHN10. If you could mark the lead but not really gouge it, 11-16/17 depending on how much of a mark it left and if your thumbnail won't mark it and it feels glassy, it's hard, 18 or higher. I just checked some water dropped bullets with a BHN of 29. Like trying to mark glass with my thumbnail. It has worked well for me to get a ball park hardness until I could check it with my LBT tester.
Posted By: saddlegun Re: How to tell hardness - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by blammer
fingernail test...

smile

good enough.

This is actually fairly accurate as long as one doesn't have whimpy nails. Sometimes you don't have a hardness test close by. This was taught to me a few decades ago by an old bullet caster. He claimed if you could easily gouge the lead with a thumbnail it was soft, south of BHN10. If you could mark the lead but not really gouge it, 11-16/17 depending on how much of a mark it left and if your thumbnail won't mark it and it feels glassy, it's hard, 18 or higher. I just checked some water dropped bullets with a BHN of 29. Like trying to mark glass with my thumbnail. It has worked well for me to get a ball park hardness until I could check it with my LBT tester.

Another indicator is whether the alloy is shiny or oxidized.

Soft alloys will be very dark in color, as well as being very easy to scratch.
Pure lead or .22 rimfire lead.
© 24hourcampfire