Home
Posted By: gnoahhh Praise the powder gods - 02/25/21
Of all things, at a LGS in MD today I scored two cans of SR-4759. All they had, or I would've bought more. $25 apiece too. I was watching a couple auctions on GB where the stuff fetched 3 or 4 times that. Mercy.

4759- my all time favorite for cast bullet rifle shooting. I coulda cried when they discontinued it a few years ago.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/25/21
I have never seen it on a shelf for years. Would have bought it myself if I had. Good save Gary. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: JJE2MT Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/26/21
Nice score!!
Posted By: memtb Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/26/21
Congrats! I think 😢 ......or, were ya just rubbing it in! grin memtb
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/26/21
I ran out two years ago it was good stuff but then made the switch to 5744 which is a decent replacement however not as clean burning..
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/26/21
Awesome find. I found SR-4759 two different sporting goods store and grabbed both, but after doing more load development in the calibers I run cast bullets I've found I like IMR-4198 just a little bit more. Gary, I'd trade SR-4759 for more imr-4198.
Posted By: memtb Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Awesome find. I found SR-4759 two different sporting goods store and grabbed both, but after doing more load development in the calibers I run cast bullets I've found I like IMR-4198 just a little bit more. Gary, I'd trade SR-4759 for more imr-4198.

I am using IMR 4198 in my cast bullet rifle loads, and jacketed loads in our .223’s. I’m sitting on about 14 pounds, which should last a while!

I’m good on most powders except RL 7.....which I need to feed my 45-70 ! memtb
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/27/21
I have about a pound of RL-7 not using it in anything right now. So far it's a powder that just hasn't worked as well as other. Bets me
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/27/21
If we were in close proximity I might take you up on it. I have a fair stash of 4198 and the only thing I use it for is in my two R2 Lovell's and a .22 Maximum Lovell.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/28/21
Some of those old powders are more precious than jewels IMHO.

Bless my tendency to collect what I need and more in days gone by.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: Praise the powder gods - 02/28/21
It wasn't published in any of my manuals, but somehow I tried 32.0 grs of IMR-4198 pushing my cast lyman 204 gas checked 35 cal slugs in a pump 760 35 Remington and completely struck gold. It was accurate, clean burning and duplicates factory ballistics with a 210gr RN going 2150fps. So far i haven't done that with SR 4759, but I do like in my 223 pushing a cast 63gr RN custom cast gas checked bullet. I think I could run gas checked slugs the rest of my days and be perfectly happy.
© 24hourcampfire