Home
Posted By: longarm Lead pipe - 04/16/21
Buddy was doing some work on his rental and removed a length of lead pipe and gave it to me. I cut off the galvanized fittings and melted it down. Seemed to melt easier than the wheel weights..

Was lead pipe pure lead?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Lead pipe - 04/17/21
For practical purposes plumber and roof lead are pure.
Posted By: longarm Re: Lead pipe - 04/17/21
Thanks Dan'l

Dan
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Lead pipe - 04/17/21
Yes is was what they call pure lead.

You can mix it with clip on wheel weights for some good bullets or use it as is with a little tin added for a muzzle loader.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lead pipe - 04/17/21
I'm curious - why do you add tin to your ML projectiles?
Posted By: Mesabikid44 Re: Lead pipe - 04/17/21
Don't know if it was a regional thing or not, but in the 50's we were able to find quite a few 10 and 12 inch diameter culverts, some up to 20 feet long that had been installed under country roads in the early 1900's. They were pure lead with wall thickness of 1/2" or so. Quite the treasure for bullet casters. Also have "rescued" quite a few counterweights that were used in large steel frame windows. They were about 3-1/2" square and 2 and 5 foot lengths. They were also pure lead. Still have a couple of ingots made from them.
Posted By: longarm Re: Lead pipe - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by Mesabikid44
Don't know if it was a regional thing or not, but in the 50's we were able to find quite a few 10 and 12 inch diameter culverts, some up to 20 feet long that had been installed under country roads in the early 1900's. They were pure lead with wall thickness of 1/2" or so. ...

shocked
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Lead pipe - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm curious - why do you add tin to your ML projectiles?

I go both ways now and then. Two piece bullets are one excuse, whim another. 60:1 lowers cast temp slightly and helps with fill out. Such frivolity orbits the bullets used with paper patch mostly. They seem to shoot a bit better as well. I don’t do it for round balls.
Posted By: saddlegun Re: Lead pipe - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
For practical purposes plumber and roof lead are pure.

Even for impractical purposes. grin
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lead pipe - 04/19/21
It's a cinch...
Posted By: Epochelyptikal Re: Lead pipe - 04/21/21
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by Mesabikid44
Don't know if it was a regional thing or not, but in the 50's we were able to find quite a few 10 and 12 inch diameter culverts, some up to 20 feet long that had been installed under country roads in the early 1900's. They were pure lead with wall thickness of 1/2" or so. ...

shocked

I agree with this fully.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Lead pipe - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It's a cinch...

I see what you did there...
© 24hourcampfire