Home
Posted By: DigitalDan Mine are smaller than yours - 08/15/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So, how many wankers do you know that cast .17 caliber bullets?
Posted By: 44mc Re: Mine are smaller than yours - 08/15/21
just one 😁
That's nuts. What do you do with such a projectile? Guess it would work good on ground squirrels. It looks like a rimfire. What's the chambering called?
What I want to know is where you found an eye dropper that can handle molten lead... wink

Now, serious question, what do you actually use to fill that cavity? Thinking a standard ladle might work but you'd need to have a very delicate touch.
Regular ladle works fine.

It is for a .17 RF equivalent of the .22 CB Cap. It shoots BB’s and homemade conicals. German built zimmerstutzen, aka parlor rifle. Looks a fair bit like the one in the following link

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/german-zimmerstutzen-rifle-1696628229
What, around 6-700 bullets per pound?

Dare ya to execute a pig with it!
A bit less than 700. They weigh a small fraction over 10 gr. MV for the BB's is right at 800 fps, haven't run these over the chrony.

I have no doubt it will whack a pig. Is that a dare or a double dog dare?
Posted By: 44mc Re: Mine are smaller than yours - 08/16/21
double dog dare . pics . or it did not happen 😁😁👍
I'll break all codes of playground etiquette and go right to the triple dog dare.
Well, hog hunts start in about 2 months. I’ll be in touch. laugh
Posted By: 44mc Re: Mine are smaller than yours - 08/17/21
need a pic. of one shot in the face with those brass12 gag. shells with BP and buckshot 😁👍
Well, if you insist. grin
The first question that popped into my noggin was "how long would it take to bring that mold up to temperature?"

So, Dan, I think there's a technique you employ, since simply casting with it until it gets hot might take from now til about January. Care to educate me (a thankless and sometimes futile endeavor, but I beg you to indulge me)?
So if it is RF how are you re-charging the spent cases?
RiverRider, there's this new fangled thing called a hot plate that works just dandy. Set the temp to HOT.

Crow, not yet, but I'm not throwing them away either. grin As you might be aware, I don't shoot LR RF hardly at all anymore since I converted to the CF version. It's a little tuff to do that with .17 caliber BB caps since the SPP is fair close to case diameter. BUT.....I'm mulling it over.

Dan

PS: There is no effective vaccine for the Loony Virus and masks don't work.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
RiverRider, there's this new fangled thing called a hot plate that works just dandy. Set the temp to HOT.

Whatever will they think of next? wink

Do you have to set the mold on the hot plate periodically to keep it hot enough, or will a brisk production pace suffice? The smallest bullets I've ever cast were 158s or thereabouts.
Reheat in the plate from time to time, maybe 2-3 times for 50 bullets.
Well thanks. That's news I can use, for insight at the very least.

This has stimulated a but of mental diarrhea, also known as an idea: perhaps a digital laser thermometer would be a useful tool for bullet casting. A conventional bimetallic thermometer is dandy for the pot, but a laser thermometer would allow a fellow to monitor mold temperature as well as pot temperature.
Interesting idea that. I may be too old school to try it, but the idea has merit.
Well I thought I seen it all. But fellow trapshooter I see from time to time brought a 14 cal. To a trapshoot to show around. I did not see the bullets or have anytime to talk to him. But I do know the gunsmith that made it. I live about 45 mile from the Smith. I got to find out more about this cal. Assuming there must be a swager to make the bullets. The fellow that has the gun said around 5000 fps is a tack drive on a still day. Bill
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
So if it is RF how are you re-charging the spent cases?

Crow, I"m cheating a bit, it's really a CF that fits a RF chamber.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

OTOH, there are a lot of fellas out there actually reloading RF ammo. See the link...

https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/
I suppose this falls under the category of "I can but why would I? " The BD approach seems to be much simpler.

Just curious, but what kind of case life are you getting from those?
Only cases lost to date came from expanded primer pockets via HV loads. 20 +/- I have some cases that have been fired 20-25 times. Annealed once, sized 2-3 times.
Only cases lost to date came from expanded primer pockets via HV loads. 20 +/- I have some cases that have been fired 20-25 times. Annealed once, sized 2-3 times.

grin
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Mine are smaller than yours - 12/03/21

Dang, Dan. This whole thread is just badazz!
© 24hourcampfire