Home
Posted By: lightman More Wheelweights - 09/11/21
I just wanted to share the results of my latest score. I just finished sorting a bucket of wheelweights that I got from my local tire shop. The percentage of lead is slowly getting smaller in favor of other materials but I'm still seeing about 60% lead. Thats better than other areas are seeing.

What I am seeing is that Steel weights seem to be replacing Zinc weights, which I see as a good thing. I'm also seeing more stick-on weights.

I'm not actively looking for lead anymore. This little shop is local to me and is the only place that I get weights from anymore, except for what me and a buddy pick up off of the street corners and exit ramps. Don't laugh, this comes to nearly 5 gallons of weights a year. Its kind of a game to us!

I'm not bragging ;), just wanted to share my findings with any of you that still use weights.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: More Wheelweights - 09/12/21
πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘
Posted By: memtb Re: More Wheelweights - 09/25/21

πŸ‘. lightman, I’m just getting back into casting, and I discovered something quite peculiar! My 5 gallon bucket weighs a lots more than it did about 15 years ago when I stored them in the pole barn! How can that happen? πŸ˜‚ memtb
Posted By: lightman Re: More Wheelweights - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by memtb

πŸ‘. lightman, I’m just getting back into casting, and I discovered something quite peculiar! My 5 gallon bucket weighs a lots more than it did about 15 years ago when I stored them in the pole barn! How can that happen? πŸ˜‚ memtb

I think it comes from having birthdays?
Posted By: memtb Re: More Wheelweights - 09/30/21
Originally Posted by lightman

Well, that explains it! I’ve had quite a few! 😁 memtb
Posted By: tophorsecop Re: More Wheelweights - 03/27/22
And I thought I was the only one jumping out of the truck at stop lights to pick up lead balance weights, hardware etc !!!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: More Wheelweights - 04/01/22
A buddy called me last weekend to remind me I left two five gallon buckets full of wheelweights at his house 12 or 13 years ago. I had long forgotten all about them. Guess what I'm doing this weekend.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: More Wheelweights - 04/02/22
I am finally getting around to smelting several buckets of wheelweights a tire shop gave me 20 years ago. They've been sitting in a storage shed. I think they gained a lot of weight too over the years!
The good news is they are at least 99% lead. I sorted three 5 gallon buckets so far and only found a handful of zinc or steel.
Posted By: 450BM Re: More Wheelweights - 04/03/22
Originally Posted by lightman

No, I think the lead is getting heavier! Just like the ground is a lot harder than it was when I was 14 and camping out all the time. :-)
Posted By: WeimGuy Re: More Wheelweights - 04/07/22
I’m sure that by now you’ve found other things aren’t as hard as they were back then πŸ˜†
Posted By: Nick1899 Re: More Wheelweights - 04/07/22
I just finished sorting my last haul of wheel weights and I’m seeing the same results as Lightman, more steel, much less zinc and more stick on steel weights. I’m now averaging about 50% lead. Down significantly from 10 years ago. I get the lead for free so I’m not complaining.

Nick
Β© 24hourcampfire