Home
Posted By: longarm Lyman 429-640 Devastator - 06/20/22
Casting a few of these for the first time today. Was a little tricky to get the nose right.. needed a bit more tin and slightly warmer alloy, then it started happening. These are as they dropped from the mold. A little thumbnail action on the nose cleaned it up.

Anyway if anyone has used these for hunting I would be very interested to hear of your results.
These are 12bhn, lead and lino (3:1) and tin.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Creeker Re: Lyman 429-640 Devastator - 06/21/22
Appears something is sealing properly. BTW nice looking bullet.
Posted By: longarm Re: Lyman 429-640 Devastator - 06/21/22
Creeker
These are the same bullets after I have just run my thumbnail around the nose. I think I can live with that.

I agree though, the spud is pretty loose in the mold. Maybe I'll see if I can do anything about that tomorrow

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]sunday brunch wilmington nc
Posted By: Creeker Re: Lyman 429-640 Devastator - 06/21/22
They look great.
Posted By: longarm Re: Lyman 429-640 Devastator - 06/21/22
Thank you!
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Lyman 429-640 Devastator - 06/26/22
Those look nice. It would be interesting to see how they expand. I'm sure there's a lot you could do with alloy and or heat treats or quenches to tune in expansion. I'm not quite ready to go down the casting hollow points rabbit whole. I'm too busy just trying to keep up with casting again. I do like the looks of those and think they'd be fun to load hot and take the 92 rabbit hunting.

Bb
Posted By: longarm Re: Lyman 429-640 Devastator - 06/26/22
Burley,
I cast another batch yesterday out of 30:1 binary Lead:tin alloy.
I *think* I'll get good controlled expansion with these at .44Spl velocities. Need to get to the range, etc
Posted By: longarm Re: Lyman 429-640 Devastator - 06/26/22
Two articles written by Mr. Glen Fryxell I found interesting:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLymanDevastator.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCommentsCBAlloys.htm
© 24hourcampfire