Home
Posted By: Jevyod This is fun again - 11/08/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Have not done this in a few years, forgot how relaxing it is!
Posted By: memtb Re: This is fun again - 11/08/22
Good for you! 👍 I need to cast some this winter as well! memtb
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: This is fun again - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Is that the 35 cal 215gr?
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: This is fun again - 11/09/22
Not only fun, but that is good lookin'.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: This is fun again - 11/09/22
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
It is the Lee 35-200 RF. They weigh 202 grains with the gas check. I paid 35 bucks for the mold. I think I can live with it!!
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: This is fun again - 11/09/22
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
It is the Lee 35-200 RF. They weigh 202 grains with the gas check. I paid 35 bucks for the mold. I think I can live with it!!
That's right....they come out 205-208 grains for me when checked, using my preferred softer alloys. They shoot really well for me in a 357 Herrett and a standard 357.

The RCBS version is the one that casts at 215 checked for me. It hasn't shot as consistently.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: This is fun again - 11/10/22
Like minds think alike. That happens to be the same bullet I cast today too. They'll go into a .357 Maximum rifle for comparison testing against some PC'ed bullets Dinny sent me. I kinda want to do some more comparisons, but hunting season looms and it's time to quit messing around.
Posted By: jeeper Re: This is fun again - 11/13/22
I'm using the rcbs version and sizing them to .359 with a BH hardness of 11 on my tester. They shoot well in three 35 Remington guns I have.
Posted By: jeeper Re: This is fun again - 11/13/22
Oh but yes, it is much fun to cast and shoot your own bullets in the guns you like and for pennies on the dollar compared with the store bought stuff.
Posted By: ElkHtrNevada Re: This is fun again - 11/14/22
Cast kills as well as jacketed in large bores.
Posted By: HawkI Re: This is fun again - 11/14/22
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
Cast kills as well as jacketed in large bores.

It's not necessarily exclusive to "large bores", it just isn't as simple.
It's been the better part of 80 years to get jacketed stuff in the wee calibers to hold together enough, especially when velocity is upped and SD is lessened.

Obviously when the splat factor of the alloy and velocity are understood, lead responds like jacketed, with less speed. Up the speed to jacketed levels, lead will need a bit more gymnastics, but it is there if one goes through the trouble.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: This is fun again - 11/14/22
Got down to it this weekend and cast 300 of them. With lead, pewter, powder coat, and gas checks these cost me between $.05-$.06 each!
Cast from 3-3-94. Hope to stick a few in deer in a few weeks!
Posted By: jeeper Re: This is fun again - 11/14/22
Got down to it this weekend and cast 300 of them. With lead, pewter, powder coat, and gas checks these cost me between $.05-$.06 each!

Beautiful!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: This is fun again - 11/15/22
Well done!
Posted By: 450BM Re: This is fun again - 11/15/22
I bought this mold, 6 cavity, for my 350 Legend. I’m casting them out of wheel weight lead and powder coating them. I’m down to about 75 and need to get to work to replenish my supply.

And I agree with the op, casting is very relaxing. Very satisfying too, from casting to shooting them.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: This is fun again - 11/15/22
Looking great!

I love alloys in the 2-2-96 to 3-3-94 range, and quench them as a rule. I'll powder-coat if the bullets will shoot better that way, at my desired velocity.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: This is fun again - 11/17/22
With a bullet you don't stick a deer like an arrow. They are dead if hit correctly.
Posted By: Dinny Re: This is fun again - 12/04/22
As a rule, I don't use any antimony in my bullet alloy. Instead I use pure lead and tin to a 20-1 or 30-1 ratio. That gives me good mold fill and subsonic bullet expansion. Of course, this can only work (without major barrel leading) by coating the bullets with PC.

I also tailor the bullet to the cartridge and job I need it to do. For example, in my son's 357 Maximum rifle I load 200gr and 220gr MP Molds hollowpoint bullets cast at 30-1 to 1100fps. They shoot great, keep the barrel clear of any leading, and kill deer.

In my 35 Whelen I shoot a 245gr Saeco RNFP bullet cast to 20-1 and 1980fps. The FP handles the velocity very well and expands beautifully.

Thanks, Dinny
© 24hourcampfire