Home
Posted By: Dinny Bullet ID Help - 12/07/22
Anyone recognize this 100gr 30cal cast bullet? I coated it with the first powder I acquired back in 2014 and I'm unable to find the brand and mold #.

Thanks, Dinny

Attached picture IMG_20221207_190.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20221207_43721.jpg
Posted By: ElkHtrNevada Re: Bullet ID Help - 12/07/22
Ideal 311410 or 311227
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Bullet ID Help - 12/07/22
Driving band configuration doesn't match any of the Lyman/Ideal designs. Here's a complete compendium of their past and present bullet designs: http://three-peaks.net/Lyman_and_Ideal_Bullet_Molds.pdf

If I had to guess, I would nominate the RCBS 115 grain gas check design that someone milled the top of the mold blocks off of to create a flat based bullet. https://www.rcbs.com/bullet-casting/moulds/bullet-mould-.30-115-sp-535/16-82009.html (Note the illustration in this link shows a shorter nose than other illustrations of this bullet do.)
Posted By: Dinny Re: Bullet ID Help - 12/08/22
I have that same Lyman/Ideal chart on my PC desktop and agree it's not any of them. It does look alot like that RCBS!

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Bullet ID Help - 12/08/22
Probably make for a decent .30 Carbine bullet. Geez, there I'm dating myself - does anybody cast for a .30 Carbine anymore? Does anybody shoot one anymore, or all they all gathering dust in collections now?
Posted By: Dinny Re: Bullet ID Help - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Probably make for a decent .30 Carbine bullet. Geez, there I'm dating myself - does anybody cast for a .30 Carbine anymore? Does anybody shoot one anymore, or all they all gathering dust in collections now?

Mine doesn't collect any dust. 😉
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Bullet ID Help - 01/14/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Never did cast for a .30 Carbine, but mine isn't gathering dust. Trust me on that. 110 gr Hornady RN soft nose at 2000+ fps gives my all the splat factor I need. laugh
© 24hourcampfire