Home
Posted By: Czech_Made Tumble lubing bullets - 12/24/12
After you tumble lube bullets, how much lube should be left on the bullet? Is it suppose to fill all the groves all the way? Or is the finished lubing more like a brushed on coat for the whole bullet?

Thanks!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Tumble lubing bullets - 12/24/12
There should be so little Liquid Alox on the bullet that there is only a very faint golden-yellowish sheen. You shouldn't see any dark brown buildup. DEFINITELY nothing like filled grooves.

Use only a pea-sized drop for 100 or more bullets. A small pea, more like a BB. Really.
Posted By: Czech_Made Re: Tumble lubing bullets - 12/25/12
Thank you, thats what I have. Just making sure before I start making ammo.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Tumble lubing bullets - 12/26/12
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There should be so little Liquid Alox on the bullet that there is only a very faint golden-yellowish sheen. You shouldn't see any dark brown buildup. DEFINITELY nothing like filled grooves.

Use only a pea-sized drop for 100 or more bullets. A small pea, more like a BB. Really.

Oops. Seems that I've been overlubing mine. What sorts of problems could this cause?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Tumble lubing bullets - 01/02/13
Too much tumble lube will gunk up your seating die but good. Asside from that I haven't seen any harm in too much tumble lube.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Tumble lubing bullets - 01/04/13
Thanks. I've noticed an accumulation of lube in the seating die.

Since reading this I've cut down on the lube, and everything seems to work fine!
Posted By: MColeman Re: Tumble lubing bullets - 01/04/13

Rocky,
Evidently you are not aware of the old saying 'If some is good, more is better and too much is just right!'
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Tumble lubing bullets - 01/05/13
Originally Posted by MColeman

Rocky,
Evidently you are not aware of the old saying 'If some is good, more is better and too much is just right!'

Or, little do a little good - lot do a lot of good. grin
Posted By: HawkI Re: Tumble lubing bullets - 01/06/13
Use enough to not get leading.

That's pretty much how alox and grease type lubes work, especially if they are used as surface lubricants.
© 24hourcampfire