Home
Posted By: 700shooter 6mm lead bullets - 05/30/14
I have an odd question and am hoping you guys can help me out. I recently purchased a bunch of bullets at an estate sale and part of the package was a bunch if lead 6mm lfn lap bullets. I reload a lot but use copper plated bullets. I know cowboy loads use lead bullets but what do others use them for( 6 mm is an odd caliber for this it seems to me)? Thx in advance for any and all help

Eric
Posted By: Creeker Re: 6mm lead bullets - 05/30/14
The 6MM isn't as popular as say the 30 caliber when it comes to cast bullets but they are used.
Posted By: blammer Re: 6mm lead bullets - 05/30/14
trigger time and varmints, is the most common use for the 6mm cast. It's good for small game but not for large game.
Posted By: 700shooter Re: 6mm lead bullets - 05/30/14
Is there much difference loading these from copper plated? Are manuals available with load data? I really appreciate the input.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: 6mm lead bullets - 05/30/14
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has loads for most 6mm cartridges. Yes, unplated bullets are loaded to different pressures/ velocities than plated bullets.

Ed
Posted By: Rolly Re: 6mm lead bullets - 05/31/14
Cast lead bullets will generally be loaded to 1/2 or less of the speed as similar weight jacketed bullets. Loading for faster velocities tends to increas problems such as leading and wild groups. Keep your speeds under 1800 fps and they may shoot just fine for you.
© 24hourcampfire