Home
Guys, I have been using mostly 50-50 NRA type bullet lube for close to 40 yrs. My old stand by, Javelina, is no longer available, so here is my question. As I am not interested in making my own, and want to try something different to try to eliminate some of the smoke and dirtiness of the alox/beeswax, what is your recommendation. I have the Lyman 4500 Lubrisizer at the present time and will continue to use the same. I have been told that LBT Blue/soft is the way to go. What say you?
Originally Posted by lastround
Guys, I have been using mostly 50-50 NRA type bullet lube for close to 40 yrs. My old stand by, Javelina, is no longer available, so here is my question. As I am not interested in making my own, and want to try something different to try to eliminate some of the smoke and dirtiness of the alox/beeswax, what is your recommendation. I have the Lyman 4500 Lubrisizer at the present time and will continue to use the same. I have been told that LBT Blue/soft is the way to go. What say you?

My favorite for rifle/pistol...SPG for BPCR
Ditto. I played with it a bit a while back and like it very much.

I too lament the passing of Javelina- the lube I started with back in the Stone Age. A few years ago I scarffed up every stick of it I could find at gunshows and the internet. I now have what I consider to be a lifetime supply (seeing as I'm now in my early 60's) and breathe easy on that subject. (And sorry, but no I don't want to get rid of any!) I know it may not be the very best all-around lube, but it works ok for me. Besides, I like the smell of it- the aroma triggers a lot of nostalgic memories, much like Hoppes #9 does too. We gun loonies are an odd lot, aren't we?!
So THAT'S where all the Javelina went.........(grin). I've got two sticks left, but that ain't gonna last long come Spring.
I've heard LBT blue soft is good, eds red too.

sorry I don't know who sells it as I usually make my own.
Speed Green was my favorite for low pressure pistol loads, it got replaced by TAC (from somebody on Castboolits) when Speed Green wasn't available.

If you really want to eliminate smoke though - powder coating is the answer.
as blammer, I also make my own, as I have done for 60 yrs. However, I pan lube!
I started with a bunch of Javelina sticks a friend gave me when I first got into casting. I've about run out, though I do have one or two sticks left and I love the smell.

In the search for a new replacement I've tried Lyman and RCBS lubes and had good luck with both of them. I've been using mostly the RCBS green because that's what the store I buy that kind of stuff from stocks and it's a buck a stick cheaper than Lyman.
The LBT stuff is great; the guy you buy it from isn't always so.

I make my own and don't miss having to buy anything and have perfect results.
I personally don't bother with making my own yet...already have too many irons in the fire so buying lube is one less thing to experiment with. I have been using LBT Soft for a couple of years now and can't think of anything negative to say. Veral can be cantankerous to deal with at times but when buying lube its just a matter of mailing an order form and money order and waiting for it to show up.
Thanks for the response guys. I'll give SPG and LBT Blue/Soft a try over the next few months.
I too used Javalina - now I get good lube from White label. They sell it as cheap as I can make it. They once sent me a box of a different lube than I had ordered. I sent an email and they sent me my full order free and said just keep the full box of the other lube sent by mistake. GREAT customer service. Great lube. Link below.

http://www.lsstuff.com/

Originally Posted by Mssgn
I too used Javalina - now I get good lube from White label. They sell it as cheap as I can make it. They once sent me a box of a different lube than I had ordered. I sent an email and they sent me my full order free and said just keep the full box of the other lube sent by mistake. GREAT customer service. Great lube. Link below.

http://www.lsstuff.com/

What he said this is great stuff.
© 24hourcampfire