Home
Posted By: USSR1991 Scored some lead came. - 03/09/17
First time I've run across it. $.80 a pound at the local scrap yard. Got 17# of it. Don't get any better than this.

Don
Posted By: old70 Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/09/17
Good score! low price compared to around here. Few years ago, friend of mine used to rent a house from someone who does stained glass, asked her about the 5 gallon bucket of it in the basement, and she said to take it or give it away, so he gave me about 95 pounds of it in exchange for reloading lessons. I think it worked out.

Old70
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/11/17
I bought 400# last year for $50 and still haven't used any of it. Should get the casting stuff out and get with it!
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/13/17
Yep, get to it, dennisinaz. Not gonna get any cooler in AZ.

Don
Posted By: kellory Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/13/17
A door for a radiology lab weighs 1000 lbs. (A single swing door). That is due to the 1/2" slab of lead down the center of the wood.
We replaced one not long ago, and split the lead between shooters. I cleared 260lbs of clean lead. (Free) wink
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/13/17
Way to go, kellory. Man, that door must have had some BIG hinges.

Don
Posted By: kellory Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/13/17
Originally Posted by USSR1991
Way to go, kellory. Man, that door must have had some BIG hinges.

Don

(4) 4&1/2 x4" ballbearing stainless. Standard stuff, just one extra.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/14/17
years ago i remodeled the dental school at Loma Linda University Medical center. all the walls were sheathed in drywall lined with 3/16" lead. we cleared 5400lbs of dead soft lead. i am still shooting it 30 years later. makes neat bullets... they glow in the dark! laugh
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/15/17
Yeah, don't get any better than radiological lead.

Don
Posted By: Scott F Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/15/17
First time I've run across it. $.80 a pound at the local scrap yard. Got 17# of it. Don't get any better than this.

Don

Three bucks a pound here. I am looking for at least two hundred pounds.
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/15/17
Originally Posted by Scott F

Don

$3 per pound, ouch!

Don
I just smelted a 5 gal bucket of wheel weights. About 70lbs of clean wheel weight and 25lbs of stick ons. Free.
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Scored some lead came. - 03/29/17
Can't beat that price, SRM! Good score.

Don
Wheel lead is getting harder and harder for me to get, and a lot of it is not lead anymore, it's something else.
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Scored some lead came. - 05/08/17
Originally Posted by gamma4diesel
Wheel lead is getting harder and harder for me to get, and a lot of it is not lead anymore, it's something else.

Yeah, I'm finding that about half seems to be steel and zinc.

Don
Posted By: blanket Re: Scored some lead came. - 05/14/17
Originally Posted by Scott F

Don

Scott, Cast Bollits website, vender forum. You can have delivered a lot cheaper than 3 a pound
Posted By: Scott F Re: Scored some lead came. - 05/14/17
Thanks.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Scored some lead came. - 05/16/17
yep, just picked up 100 lbs of stick on from "The Captain", she does a great job. Normally $65 for 50lbs shipped.
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Scored some lead came. - 05/27/17
Finally got around to smelting the came down into ingots. Melts at a much lower temp than pure lead, no doubt due to the solder connecting the pieces of came together. Looks like I will need to add a little less tin to this when casting my hollowpoints.

Don
I had to google lead came. I learned something new today.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Scored some lead came. - 06/16/17
I always thought it was CANE............

My nephew works at a recycling plant....

.60/lb for roof or radiology lead....

I have near lifetime supply........ unless I start casting for cannons.

smile
Posted By: GSSP Re: Scored some lead came. - 09/10/17
Friend of mine, a plumbing contractor, pulled lead sheeting out of a hospital x-ray room wall. About 600 lbs of pure lead. I cast up some bullets for hardness testing and it's 8 BHN. Now what do I do with it on the cheap? Mostly handgun but also some 30 Carbine and 9.3x62 for hunting elk.
Posted By: kingston Re: Scored some lead came. - 09/10/17
It's 'came', lead came for leaded glass windows.
© 24hourcampfire