Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr Lube question - 03/19/17
I recently purchased some bullets from a known bullet company in .45 Colt. I noticed some bullets did not have lube completely around the lube groove. Instead there was a small space without lube. Lube is LBT Blue in a single groove.

Any comments concerning quality control? I am new to shooting and reloading cast. Is this detrimental to accuracy/performance/leading? Thanks all.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Lube question - 03/19/17
Id not sweat it performance wise. Centrifugal force and heat displaces it and the groove shrinks from obturation and land engagement. That lube also works as a surface lube, so leading shouldnt happen.

That said, it is piss poor QC and the maker should know. If I paid for it.

Im sure an illustrated ad shows filled lube grooves.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Lube question - 03/20/17
Yeah, I figured QC is an issue. I notified the seller. Waiting to see what he says. Thanks!
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Lube question - 03/20/17
I wouldn't worry about it. The hard lube that the commercial casters use isn't worth the powder to blow it to h3ll anyways.

Don
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Lube question - 03/20/17
Thought LBT Blue was decent?
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Lube question - 03/20/17
Sakoluvr,

Oh, yeah, commercial casters love it because it holds up well in shipping (just like their super hard bullets). Google White Label Lube - very economical and a much better lube.

Don
Posted By: Creeker Re: Lube question - 03/20/17
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Thought LBT Blue was decent?

I've used all 3 grades & it is decent. As for hard lube I've used a bit of Ballisti-Cast & if the bullets were sized properly the lube did decent. Is it the best lube for my sixguns? Hardly.

Is it worthless? Try shooting a cylinder full without lube, clean the barrel & try a cylinder full with LBT Blue Commercial & note the difference.

Like USSR1991 said check out White Label Lube. They are good people.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Lube question - 03/20/17
Softer lubes have a tendency to get pulled out of the lube groove when bullets are shipped.

I've never done a specific test to see if a bit of lube missing will open up groups. My swag is that lube is relatively light and the void isn't likely to open up a group. Same deal with leading. A bit of lube missing shouldn't cause leading.

Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Lube question - 03/28/17
I made a batch of Eds Red. It's plenty gooey, and works well.
Posted By: lastround Re: Lube question - 03/29/17
For my own personal casting, lubing, and shooting I use LBT Blue Soft. It is not sticky when handling bullets while loading, but shipping might change the equation. As far as a missed section in the lube groove, I don't think you will notice the difference in accuracy, unless an exaggerated amount is left out. I make sure mine are totally filled.
Posted By: blanket Re: Lube question - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I made a batch of Eds Red. It's plenty gooey, and works well.
Ed's red rocks but you won't get it on commercial cast, best answer is learn how to cast and lube. Harder is not always the best
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Lube question - 04/01/17
Originally Posted by blanket
Harder is not always the best

+1. Same goes for bullet hardness.

Don
© 24hourcampfire