Home
Posted By: saddlesore Bears in the neighbor hood - 07/01/20
Yesterday a bear wondered thru our neighborhood.You would have thought it was the 2nd coming of Christ. We are a community of 5 acre lots, about 200 of them.Most of town folks that have moved out from the city. Everything from "Did your feed it" to "OMG it's going to eat the kids". "Call the Game Department and have them trap it."

These same people set out food for deer and they are like long legged rats now. Then the same ones complain when a mountain lion takes up residence because it had discovered a buffet.

If only I could move another 20-30 miles out of form town like it was when I moved here 45 years ago. Now I have 3 Walmarts within 12 miles of me and two home depots
We have plenty of black bears here in New Jersey. They have been seen a mile south of the George Washington Bridge which connects New Jersey to NYC. We have them here in my town, 20 miles west of Manhattan. A friend of mine killed one a few miles west of where I sit that weighed 679.5 lbs field dressed. All that, and there are cars with "Ban the Bear Hunt" bumper stickers riding around. The reason we have so many bears?
The state closed the bear hunting season for 30 years. Fools.
We have bears raiding trash cans outside of Excelsior Springs, Misery. It is just outside of town. I don't think it will be going into town though. You would hear much crying and gnashing of teeth. But it will be a few years before Misery has a black bear season. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Bears in the neighbor hood - 07/02/20
Saddlesore, seems a pretty common theme with about whatever animals might be prevalent in the area. Here in MO, it's normally about coyotes or the occasional bobcat.

Rusty, Didn't realize they had one that far north. Unless things have changed, the MO Dept. of Conservation has said 2021 for bear hunting.
We have bears here regularly... had a brown trouble maker killed about 4 or 5 blocks away a few years back...
[Linked Image]

Here's a nice one
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Yesterday a bear wondered thru our neighborhood.You would have thought it was the 2nd coming of Christ. We are a community of 5 acre lots, about 200 of them.Most of town folks that have moved out from the city. Everything from "Did your feed it" to "OMG it's going to eat the kids". "Call the Game Department and have them trap it."

These same people set out food for deer and they are like long legged rats now. Then the same ones complain when a mountain lion takes up residence because it had discovered a buffet.

If only I could move another 20-30 miles out of form town like it was when I moved here 45 years ago. Now I have 3 Walmarts within 12 miles of me and two home depots

Likely not the first one to pass through. Some people just get excited when it is actually spotted, not realizing how common the visits are. My neighbor told me a few years ago that she called the police when a brownie walked tbrougb her horse pen. grin
Originally Posted by ironbender

Likely not the first one to pass through. Some people just get excited when it is actually spotted, not realizing how common the visits are. My neighbor told me a few years ago that she called the police when a brownie walked tbrougb her horse pen. grin

Yea,we get 3-4 a year starting about now. There is a 1200 acre conservancy property across the county road. They live there and come here to eat. More mountain lions since these new comers are putting salt blocks out for deer. Things get western when rut comes about with does running everywhere and bucks chasing them

Raccoons are getting to be worrisome though.They can sure tear up more than a bear
Posted By: pete53 Re: Bears in the neighbor hood - 07/03/20
SSS that`s what works for us in the country
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
[Linked Image]

Here's a nice one

Oh my!!!

That is some kind of big!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bears in the neighbor hood - 07/03/20
Deputy friend of mine just had to figure out a way to get one out of a car it had locked itself into in Big Sky Mt. It was his third one...
Posted By: JPro Re: Bears in the neighbor hood - 07/03/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
Deputy friend of mine just had to figure out a way to get one out of a car it had locked itself into in Big Sky Mt. It was his third one...

Bet bears are tough on a car interior......

I'm sure the black bears would be in my garbage can at some point if I didn't have dogs. As I adjoin a 14,000 acre wildlife refuge, bears and hogs are all over us, but they haven't posed a problem yet in the yard.
A friend in Kodiak had a young boar decide to hibernate in a mommy van. It blew the stuffing out of all of the upholstery.
They're here, along with yotes, bobcats, and the odd cougar, but I've never seen any of them while hunting or hiking, only while driving. A young one carried off my neighbor's rabbit, pen and all, some years ago. Another neighbor caught a pretty nice one on his trail cam last year, about 3 or 4 miles away. That one was a shooter. Now that I'm a crossbow hunter, I figure my odds of taking one are much better because the pointy-stick season runs concurrent with deer season. No tag reqiuired for geezers. Sept. 26-Dec. 31 this year.
Holy crap! Usually it's the young males that get kicked into outskirts of habitat. Not this time!

Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
[Linked Image]

Here's a nice one
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I feel for you. We lived in the Springs 2001-2004 and I couldn't believe how far the town grew East while we were there. The last time I was there 2 years ago it was almost unrecognizable. Way too many people making that place home.
Originally Posted by pete53
SSS that`s what works for us in the country

Or you could try not being pussies and just live around Bears. When I lived in Sullivan county PA they were regularly in the yard. They'd do some damage here and there but they didn't bother us and we didn't do anything to them.
Posted By: RandyR Re: Bears in the neighbor hood - 07/18/20
Water balloons hung in a tree with peanut butter on the outside and filled with vinegar usually make them go away for awhile.
Unreal how much damage bears can do to a remote cabin. Squirells are second!
Originally Posted by kk alaska

Half dozen raccoons will do considerable damage. Even one isn't good
Originally Posted by Heeler
Saddlesore, seems a pretty common theme with about whatever animals might be prevalent in the area. Here in MO, it's normally about coyotes or the occasional bobcat.

Rusty, Didn't realize they had one that far north. Unless things have changed, the MO Dept. of Conservation has said 2021 for bear hunting.

Seeing one down around my dad's place outside of Edwardsville.
Posted By: las Re: Bears in the neighbor hood - 07/19/20
Salmon runs are here. I have no doubt there are at least 5 or 6 brwn bears in the neighborhood. (Dachshund is outside right now going apesheet The Lab mix is going "I'll let him deal with it....")

Bearanoia is over-rated.

've had them on the deck, in the back of my truck, sleeping under the bow of the boat in a hard rain, leaving muddy prints down my sidewalk, etc. Food/garbage is the key to either a problem or not. I no longer have a problem, seldom see any sign of one any more. They are still here tho.

A few years ago I had a couple cubs (brown bear) try to sniff noses with my Lab. He wasn't having any of that. Lab was 15 feet in front of me, cubs 15 in front of him, mom 15 behind them, telling them in no uncertain terms to get the hell back in the woods. She very, very, very carefully did not make eye contact with me as we all (dog and I anyway) backed 180 degrees clear around the house to the door.

I was impressed with her circumspection, but still kept a death clutch on my garden trowel..... smile

They say a sow with cubs is dangerous... I contend it's the cubs. Those little bastards get everyone in trouble!

These two almost got me nailed, or, if my rifle hadn't been 20 yards away in the boat, their mother killed. Yes, I've posted these before.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by las
Salmon runs are here. I have no doubt there are at least 5 or 6 brwn bears in the neighborhood. (Dachshund is outside right now going apesheet The Lab mix is going "I'll let him deal with it....")

Bearanoia is over-rated.

've had them on the deck, in the back of my truck, sleeping under the bow of the boat in a hard rain, leaving muddy prints down my sidewalk, etc. Food/garbage is the key to either a problem or not. I no longer have a problem, seldom see any sign of one any more. They are still here tho.

A few years ago I had a couple cubs (brown bear) try to sniff noses with my Lab. He wasn't having any of that. Lab was 15 feet in front of me, cubs 15 in front of him, mom 15 behind them, telling them in no uncertain terms to get the hell back in the woods. She very, very, very carefully did not make eye contact with me as we all (dog and I anyway) backed 180 degrees clear around the house to the door.

I was impressed with her circumspection, but still kept a death clutch on my garden trowel..... smile

They say a sow with cubs is dangerous... I contend it's the cubs. Those little bastards get everyone in trouble!

These two almost got me nailed, or, if my rifle hadn't been 20 yards away in the boat, their mother killed. Yes, I've posted these before.

I'd have just thrown my binos at them!!

wink
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Bears in the neighbor hood - 07/27/20
Originally Posted by kk alaska

Pine martens are the worst!
If a brown bear sets foot on our property he get skinned out and Registered on our RB 525 ticket. No exceptions!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Bears in the neighbor hood - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
We have plenty of black bears here in New Jersey. They have been seen a mile south of the George Washington Bridge which connects New Jersey to NYC. We have them here in my town, 20 miles west of Manhattan. A friend of mine killed one a few miles west of where I sit that weighed 679.5 lbs field dressed. All that, and there are cars with "Ban the Bear Hunt" bumper stickers riding around. The reason we have so many bears?
The state closed the bear hunting season for 30 years. Fools.

People with the bumper stickers, gay teachers driving Subarus?
© 24hourcampfire