Home
Posted By: barm Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
I have never tried pronghorn antelope. How does it taste? Is it similar to any other meats? Any tricks to preparing it?

I don't have any to prepare, but I am looking at possibly doing a hunt and I want to know what I am getting into.
Has a little more flavor than venison. One of the biggest issues with antelope is getting the
animal broke down and the meat cooled right away.
Makes great summer sausage if you find it a little strong for you as steaks etc.
Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
Properly taken care of it is fantastic....I've had several non hunters who've tried it for the 1st time, try and buy some from me.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
Yeah..its just fine if you cool it ASAP.

Only tip is like venison, NEVER cook more than medium rare...
Posted By: Judman Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
Some of the best meat there is, snap a pic, bone em out get it cooled. Nothin too it
Originally Posted by Judman
Some of the best meat there is, snap a pic, bone em out get it cooled. Nothin too it

+1 I'll take antelope over mule deer anytime and maybe over elk. Not sure why but I think Wyoming antelope taste best??? Maybe because most of the ones I've shot there have been later in the season when it was cooler but whatever the reason they have all been tasty.

I agree with all of the above, and might add that I think it might be a bit sweeter than whitetails and muleys. Get that hide peeled within a couple of hours and cool the meat asap. I highly recommend that you set up a hunt so you can try it.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
Agree with all of the above.

Antelope sometimes gets a bad rap because they are usually shot during warmer weather and the meat is not handled properly.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
Makes a huge difference on what they feed on.Sage brush country YUCK. Eastern Colorado on winter wheat and sorghum forage.Better than any other big game meat with the exception of maybe Rocky Mtn bighorn
Makes awesome jerky in a smoker!!! Haven’t eaten much antelope as steaks and burger... We just jerky it all..
Hunted antelope in the Wheatland area of SE Wyoming, rancher had huge alfalfa fields for his cattle. Best wild game I've ever eaten! Brought some antelope steaks to an archery shoot once, just about had a fist fight for the last piece of it! Lol!
Posted By: fremont Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
I've eaten two bucks, both shot in cool-to-cold temps and handled properly. A grilled to medium, bacon-wrapped backstrap filet was one of the finest pieces of meat I've ever eaten. I have three 1 lb. packages of backstrap left in the freezer, and I'm chunking up for a batch of Speedgoat Chili using this recipe. I think it's delicious.

Went in 2018 with a retired friend who had an antelope hunt on his bucket list, and, after eating his buck, he is itching to shoot another one.
Posted By: Schmidtx2 Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
Everything above is true. I dread the year we don't draw. Its coming soon
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
Some of the best game meat there is imo. I agree with the sweeter comment above, but have no idea why? I've always butchered my own. Aged in a cooler on ice a couple days.. Can eat it the same as any other red meat,, but different flavor for sure. Most of them I've shot have been in sage brush country. Don't know I if they ate it or the bit of short grass around. They are a lot of fun to hunt.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
My wife and I have killed pronghorn in Montana (where we live and primarily hunt), along with plenty in Wyoming, and a few in Colorado and New Mexico, from late August in New Mexico to early November in Montana. Have never been able to tell any difference in flavor between antelope taken in sagebrush and "other" country, however you want to define it.

The big difference is, as many people have stated, cooling the meat down after the shot. But we have found skinning immediately isn't necessary if the weather is cool enough, say less than 50 degrees. We have killed quite a few in Montana on sub-freezing days, and left the hides on until we butchered them 2-3 days later.

One thing I learned during considerable research on big game meat is that antelope--even the older bucks--don't have nearly as much connective collagen in their muscles as many other animals--and collagen is what primarily breaks down during the aging process. (If you really want to find out a lot of details of game meat care, the University of Wyoming's meat-research department has plenty--which is where I found out about the collagen, years before websites existed. The latest info is far more easily available today.)

All that said, I also suspect there's something in pronghorn meat that makes the taste buds of a few people hate it--much like cilantro tastes like soap to some folks. Came to this conclusion after more than one occasion when several people ate the same antelope steaks, and all but one thought it was great. One of those who didn't said it tasted like "dog food," though I don't know how he knew dog food tasted.

On the other hands, have served pronghorn to a number of non-hunters who raved about how great it was.
Posted By: atse Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/03/20
It helps if they haven't been running for miles as well. I killed a big 15" buck a few years ago. Watched him bedded at the edge of an alfalfa pivot. I snuck up and got prone, and waited for him to get up. I shot him at 358 yds with my 243. He took 2 steps and fell over. I got him cooled out good, but didn't skin him. Cut him up the next day. He was excellent eating, maybe the best big game I have had, and that says a lot, given how much wild meat we eat. I am sure the alfalfa didn't hurt any either.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
Pronghorn is my favorite game meat by a fair margin.

One thing I have seen guys do is herd antelope along sheep fence and shoot them or run them around half the day. I believed this contributes to poor tasting meat, but have no scientific proof of it.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
"One of those who didn't said it tasted like "dog food," though I don't know how he knew dog food tasted."

Mule Deer,

They must be eatin a better brand of dog food. I tried it as a kid.....just to see. It didn't taste anything like antelope (grin).
Posted By: Brazos Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
"One of those who didn't said it tasted like "dog food," though I don't know how he knew dog food tasted."

Mule Deer,

They must be eatin a better brand of dog food. I tried it as a kid.....just to see. It didn't taste anything like antelope (grin).

Ya gotta pan fry it like canned corned beef hash......a friend told me.....
Posted By: szihn Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
Antelope can taste bad as others have said here, IF you don't cool it fast but if properly cared for it's excellent. In fact I'd call it outstanding if you care for the meat right.

One trick we use on every antelope we shoot is to get it into COLD salt water ASAP. Carry ice in a cooler if you can for the process.
The salt draws out the blood and the blood is where all the "gamy taste" is. not in the meat itself. If you let it set in warmer conditions the blood stays in the meat the taste can be very strong. But if you get it into cold salt water soon after you shoot, gut and skin it, the blood is drawn out and the water get quite red. I usually do this blood-draw 2 days in a row. When I butcher it up the meat is not near as red looking after that, and the flavor is better then many other types of wild meat.

I have done many a steak from Pronghorns on the grill and I do it very like fremont said, with bacon wraps over hardwood charcoal.
I marinade it for a day in white wine and garlic powder with a tablespoon of lime juice and some basil, then wrap bacon over it and grill it. Don't over-cook.
Cut the stakes thin about 3/4". Only grill for about 2 minutes on the 1st side and 90 seconds on the other.

I bet you'll like it
Posted By: JSH Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
I live in the land of big corn-fed whitetails and I still think antelope is my favorite. As most have said: it’s the field care that seems to make the difference.
Anyone who talksbad about antelope doesn't know how to cook game meat
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
I have shot 3 per season(2 does and a buck) in wyoming for the last 15 years. It is one of the best game meats out there. We normally have them skinned and broken down within an hour from being shot and have never had a bad one. By the way i DID NOT DRAW THIS YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 15 YEARS. Makes me sad.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Makes a huge difference on what they feed on.Sage brush country YUCK. Eastern Colorado on winter wheat and sorghum forage.Better than any other big game meat with the exception of maybe Rocky Mtn bighorn

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't vouch for the RMB.
Posted By: johnt189 Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
after dropping the lope I dig a hole get a nice bed of coals going stuff the cavity with good stuff then rub seasoning on the body wrap in cheese cloth cover in sauce then wrap in aluminon put in hole cover with coals then bury leave for 24 hrs. dig up enjoy
Posted By: Ray63 Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
I gained 5 # just reading this. SUPER GOOD STUFF !! Ray
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
The biggest problem with antelope meat is that tags are extremely hard to draw here in Idaho. The odds for most hunts are like 1 chance in 25. I've only managed to draw twice in my life. I got bucks both times and they were fine eating.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
Saying that antelope tastes like sage, is like saying whitetails taste like corn. LMAO! The meat is fantastic. The biggest problem, is that many/most are killed during warm season. If you de-bone the meat-or at least skin and quarter-and go right on ice with it, it is fantastic and consistently tender. My wife would give away elk, before the antelope.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
It doesn't taste like sage, just an off taste. Corn fed whitetail don't taste like corn, but they are darn site better than whitetail killed in hard wood forest or they eat river bottom forage.It is like comparing a beef finished off with ground wheat and corn vs grass fed beef. Anything an animal eats on a long term basis effects the meat taste.Go feed a pig garbage and compare it to one fed grain
Posted By: szihn Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
If sage brush makes a difference I think it must be where that sage is going. I have killed and eaten antelope in Nevada, Idaho and Wyoming and I have eaten antelope killed by others from those 3 states plus Montana, New Mexico Colorado and Arizona.
At least 3/4 of those I have killed were out in the planes and not near any farm land at all, and yet they have been delicious Some of those I have killed here in Wyoming were crop-eaters, but most are not. I can't always say about those I have eaten killed by other hunters (and 2 that I tried to eat --but gave up quickly) One killed in Az was beyond the ability to swallow and made me want to gag. In fact we gave it to my dogs and they would not eat it either.
Another killed in New Mexico was strong and would be OK if you were hungry enough, but NOT what I would have chosen. I was told the AZ goat was killed on sage flats, but I know nothing about the NM buck. Same with the Colorado antelope, which was ok, but a bit strong.

I killed 3 last year in Wyoming and my wife killed 2. All were excellent and of the 5, 4 were killed off farm land on request of the farmer. My buck was killed about 90 miles from the nearest farm and was as good as those we killed off the alfalfa fields. Why? I can only guess but I honestly don't know. Maybe a botanist could shed some light on this subject.

My guess is that some sage grows in places where it takes up something from the soil and makes the meat of deer and antelope taste strong but what ever that mineral is, apparently we don't have it in Wyoming. All those I have killed here were great.

The only ones I have eaten from Wyoming that tasted bad were not taken care of right, and you could make a good beef cow taste bad if you don't handle the meat right. Take pains with pronghorn. It's not forgiving like elk or some deer. But if you cool it fast and if you do my trick with the cold slat water, I am betting even those that live in places where the taste of their meat is often strong would be improved
Posted By: 1minute Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
Not had sheep or goats yet, but pronghorn goes to the top for me. Wish they were the size of an elk, but then they'd top out at about 80 mph
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20

szihn +1
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
You could be right Szihn. I have killed antelope in New Mexico and Wyoming, and though stronger,they were ok ,but were in that short grass prairie. Anything I have killed in Colorado that were remotely connected to sage brush were terrible.I even quit hunting them for awhile because I could not get them past my nose. When I finally got permission to hunt an bunch of land in eastern Colorado, there was a remarkable difference. I am no neophyte in taking care of wild game either.
Posted By: Puddle Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/04/20
My better half luvs antelope. She'll hand out the deer and elk steaks, but never the antelope.

She also never asks me when I'm going back for more antelope. She just asks when I'm going back for more sausage.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/05/20

Ever had beef tainted with Tansy Ragwort?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/05/20
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

No, but I knew a Tansy Ragwort in 10th grade. And yes, she was tainted. She tainted all over my buddy Rex.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/05/20
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

No, but I knew a Tansy Ragwort in 10th grade. And yes, she was tainted. She tainted all over my buddy Rex.

Yeah, some of us were known by our first name at the clinic...
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/05/20
Oh, I like it pounded, floured and fried like hell just like deer and elk. To each his own.
Posted By: Judman Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/05/20

And again

And again

X3

These tards that drive around for half a day in 80 degree heat with the hide on probably do have antelope that tastes like schiet.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/05/20

And again

That was the ticket on our hunts in East Central New Mexico for 15 years as well. Those September hunts were usually in the 90* range most of the time. Good eating when done correctly.
Posted By: barm Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/05/20
Thank you to everyone who posted. It looks like September weather which can be too warm and not processing quick enough can be the problems some have with it. I am hoping to have a hunt scheduled for 2021. I am still in the planning stages.
Posted By: CRS Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/05/20
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

And again

X3

X4

Pronghorn antelope can be the best, and is actually our family favorite. Or the worst if not properly cared for, ie dumpster material.

The hottest temperature we ever shot an antelope was 96 degrees. It was skinned, quartered and into the refrigerator within the hour. I prefer to age 3-5 days before final processing.
Posted By: JSH Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20
I think Szihn has a good point that antelope seems less forgiving than some other meats to poor care. However, One of the things I like about it is it seems to vary less by age than other animals. I have never had a really tough one but I sure have with deer.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

And again

X3

X4

Pronghorn antelope can be the best, and is actually our family favorite. Or the worst if not properly cared for, ie dumpster material.

The hottest temperature we ever shot an antelope was 96 degrees. It was skinned, quartered and into the refrigerator within the hour. I prefer to age 3-5 days before final processing.

Agree.

On one of our NE NM hunts a few years ago, we entered the ranch early, someone already had a Pronghorn hanging from an old front end loader farm tractor at the ranch house. We hunted, had two goats on ice by 9 AM. It was starting to get hot. As we left the ranch, that carcass was still hanging from that bucket...

They talk about "stink goats"; I guess those who say that don't know how to handle meat. Pronghorn meat needs to be cooled quickly in hot weather or it won't do well.

Us Cajuns do know how to handle game meat, and how to cook it.

Pronghorn is very good table fare, done right. I'm sure that goat carcass we saw hanging in the heat at the ranch house didn't turn out so well...

DF
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20
Count me in on those who say what they've been eating makes a big difference.....Different people have different taste buds. I absolutely 100% can NOT tell the difference between antelope, mule deer or elk, but I absolutely 100% CAN tell the difference between a critter eating sagebrush and associated grasses, and one that's been eating alfalfa.

To the OP: just like many others here have said, antelope is just fine table fare. Get it cooled down and you're fine. Some people like the gamey taste and if you're one don't worry too much about getting the blood drawn out. Just get it cooled down. They don't seem to require days of aging like deer or elk often do, largely because of the collagen as mentioned above, but I think also at least partially because they're normally hunted in warmer weather which gets them aged enough, often before they're in the cooler with ice.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Count me in on those who say what they've been eating makes a big difference.....Different people have different taste buds. I absolutely 100% can NOT tell the difference between antelope, mule deer or elk, but I absolutely 100% CAN tell the difference between a critter eating sagebrush and associated grasses, and one that's been eating alfalfa.

To the OP: just like many others here have said, antelope is just fine table fare. Get it cooled down and you're fine. Some people like the gamey taste and if you're one don't worry too much about getting the blood drawn out. Just get it cooled down. They don't seem to require days of aging like deer or elk often do, largely because of the collagen as mentioned above, but I think also at least partially because they're normally hunted in warmer weather which gets them aged enough, often before they're in the cooler with ice.

I think the ice helps. As it melts, cold water helps leach out blood.

We open the drain, let some bloody water out, add ice. Meat can stay like that for days, if you watch the ice.

We drive back from NM, spend the night on the road, drain off some water, add ice along the way. Meat is perfect when we get it to the processsor..

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

We open the drain, let some bloody water out, add ice. Meat can stay like that for days, if you watch the ice.

We drive back from NM, spend the night on the road, drain off some water, add ice along the way. Meat is perfect when we get it to the processsor..

DF

I agree Dirtfarmer. Quite often we have to treat our deer like that, even into November as daytime temps can and sometimes get into the 80's. You're right about another thing......you cajun folks have the food cookin' deal down pat. I believe it's in your DNA. I still tell my 3 Louisiana buds that hunt with me in the TX Panhandle for whitetail that the only reason they're invited back is because of their food selection and culinary skills.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

DF

I agree Dirtfarmer. Quite often we have to treat our deer like that, even into November as daytime temps can and sometimes get into the 80's. You're right about another thing......you cajun folks have the food cookin' deal down pat. I believe it's in your DNA. I still tell my 3 Louisiana buds that hunt with me in the TX Panhandle for whitetail that the only reason they're invited back is because of their food selection and culinary skills.

Took my Cajun bud down to my Avoylles hunting lease (real Cajun country). He cooked greens and a lawyer from Baton Rouge cooked cracklin cornbread. Those guys went nuts over that food. And some of the hunters from Lafayette love to bring seafood, etc. So we eat well.

Guys kept asking when I was going to bring this guy back. Don't know if they missed him so mcuh, they sure missed his greens. I think they liked those green as much if not more than fancy seafood.

And, if he cooks greens that good, what you reckon he can do with Pronghorn, Elk, etc... Even Whitetail.

He even made Gar balls and they were well received, as well.

DF
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Diet can make a huge difference. Some years ago, my BIL and I were hunting mulies in a December doe hunt in the mountains. It was close to 0 and there was 5 or 6" of snow. We got 2 does from 2 different herds. We dressed and skinned them right away. When we got home we cut them up after a few days of hanging. The meat was totally inedible. When cooking, it smelled so bad that we had to open some windows. The taste was awful. Even the dog wouldn't eat it. We ended up trashing it all.
We never figured out what they'd been eating. It wasn't sagebrush as there was very little in the area. It was brush of some kind.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20
Several years ago we killed two bull elk west of Colorado Springs on what is known as Buffalo Peaks. Both bulls were inedible the meat stunk so bad and tasted awful. Both were skinned and quartered immediately and cooled out temps were in the low 40' s in the and teens at night.The following year I sent a bow hunter to the same place and he killed bull. After a few weeks he commented that the processor must have switched meat with him because it stunk when cooking and tasted horrible.

It is highly unlikely that three different bulls were mistreated when processing, The common denominator was local and their forage
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20
meat of the gods! love it!
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20

Break a stem of sagebrush...some pretty powerful chemicals will waft your nose. Far as I know, only pronghorn, mule deer and sage grouse eat it.
Posted By: MAC Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20
My favorite game meat. The trick to having good pronghorn on the table is to handle it right in the field. We skin and ice them immediately. They have a hollow hair that really insulates well. If you just toss it in the back and the truck with the hide on and the sun beating down on it while you run around looking for another one it won't be very good. We take 2 coolers each with a couple bags of ice and don't concern looking for another one until the first is properly taken care of. Pronghorn get a bad rap because of poor field care.
Posted By: abilene Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by MAC
My favorite game meat. The trick to having good pronghorn on the table is to handle it right in the field. We skin and ice them immediately. They have a hollow hair that really insulates well. If you just toss it in the back and the truck with the hide on and the sun beating down on it while you run around looking for another one it won't be very good. We take 2 coolers each with a couple bags of ice and don't concern looking for another one until the first is properly taken care of. Pronghorn get a bad rap because of poor field care.

MAC is right on. Take your cooler in the field with you and bone them out as soon as they hit the ground. The meat is better than elk and deer any day. Speed goats we shoot are feeding off of wheat grain piles in north central Montana. Harvest time coincides with hunting season. Good luck on your hunt.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/07/20
Headshot a spike blacktail feeding in an apple orchard. Immediately was skinned and gutted. Cool weather. Nasty tasting SOB. WTH?

I've had folks I trust swear some pronghorn were rank, even when cared for.

Surprised that folks put meat in ice melt water? In hot climes we use blocks of ice, keep meat above and dry.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/07/20
One time my partner got a deer in unusually warm weather. We ended up submerging it in a creek long enough to cool it. That won't help the bacteria count but it did cool it nicely.
Posted By: ggarcia85 Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/07/20
People also need to be mindful working around the scent glands while skinning out the game. Wash your knife, hands or change out your gloves. That will also contribute to the off putting taste or smells to the animal.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/20/20
I give all the ones I shoot away to others. Nobody in my family besides me likes them. Too bad though that is a lot of good meat.
My family likes antelope meat better than elk and way better than mule deer.

I agree with others, it is important to get it cooled quickly. We get them down, hang them in the back of the truck to skin, then put them in coolers as quickly as possible.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/21/20
Originally Posted by Fotis
I give all the ones I shoot away to others. Nobody in my family besides me likes them. Too bad though that is a lot of good meat.

Fortis, make souvlaki and dont tell them what it is. They will eat it and love it.
Posted By: ribka Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/21/20
I have one of these game hangers that fits in a trailer hitch of truck. Shoot em, get them on the gambrel. Skin em out. Then bone them and place in a cooler on ice. Ive done the super cold ice water with salt. Its ok but prefer to not get the meat wet. Think flavor is more mild.

I like it better than elk. Not as good as moose, but close
Posted By: Fotis Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/21/20
Originally Posted by BWalker

Fortis, make souvlaki and dont tell them what it is. They will eat it and love it.

No doubt. Actually my wife made Greek Lasagna (Pastichio) and they loved it!

https://www.recipegirl.com/pastitsio-greek-lasagna/

[Linked Image from recipegirl.com]
Originally Posted by ribka
I have one of these game hangers that fits in a trailer hitch of truck. Shoot em, get them on the gambrel. Skin em out. Then bone them and place in a cooler on ice. Ive done the super cold ice water with salt. Its ok but prefer to not get the meat wet. Think flavor is more mild.

Here is my solution for a cheap game hanger- some black pipe, a 2x4 and some rope.

[Linked Image]

We've been using this or similar for years.
Posted By: byron Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/21/20
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Has a little more flavor than venison. One of the biggest issues with antelope is getting the
animal broke down and the meat cooled right away.
Makes great summer sausage if you find it a little strong for you as steaks etc.
Just my 2 cents.

And a great investment at just 2 cents wink Don't run them all over hell and half of Texas, and however you do it get them cooled down ASAP.

Had some steaks from last years doe, and made some stroganoff last night from stew meat from the same doe. In a word? Delicious!
Posted By: ribka Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/21/20
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by ribka

Here is my solution for a cheap game hanger- some black pipe, a 2x4 and some rope.

[Linked Image]

We've been using this or similar for years.

like it. Sure makes processing faster and easier
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/21/20
Originally Posted by fremont
I've eaten two bucks, both shot in cool-to-cold temps and handled properly. A grilled to medium, bacon-wrapped backstrap filet was one of the finest pieces of meat I've ever eaten. I have three 1 lb. packages of backstrap left in the freezer, and I'm chunking up for a batch of Speedgoat Chili using this recipe. I think it's delicious.

Went in 2018 with a retired friend who had an antelope hunt on his bucket list, and, after eating his buck, he is itching to shoot another one.

Hope you don't mind, I'm going to post that link in the food forum !!
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/22/20
If you watch herds of antelope be antelope .....

You will see during breeding season that the bucks will run their ever loving brains out!

It is my theory that the off hand bad tasting goat by some one who takes care of the carcass properly, has in fact inadvertently harvested one that had ran the equilvilent of three Kentucky derbys immediately prior to harvest.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/22/20
Originally Posted by BWalker

No doubt. Actually my wife made Greek Lasagna (Pastichio) and they loved it!

https://www.recipegirl.com/pastitsio-greek-lasagna/

[Linked Image from recipegirl.com]

That looks really good. Its. Damn shame Montana doesnt really have much for greek food. This is about the only thing I miss from living in Michigan.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/22/20
I have eaten a lot of antelope that had nothing but sage and grass to eat and all of them ate just fine.

Eaten a lot of antelope that had alfalfa and those ate fine.

Mule deer on a strict sage diet can be a bit rough.

On average I prefer antelope to elk and I sure like elk.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/23/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah..its just fine if you cool it ASAP.

Only tip is like venison, NEVER cook more than medium rare...

Good advice.
Posted By: WTF Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/24/20
I've had it on several occasions over the years and cant stand it. All of the advice with getting it cooled off, sage eating, something not done right, etc, it still tastes terrible.
Never shot one and never will. Got no use for those critters.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/24/20
[

All that said, I also suspect there's something in pronghorn meat that makes the taste buds of a few people hate it--much like cilantro tastes like soap to some folks.

[/quote]
Then I "definitely" have those kind of taste buds, ha! smelly goat, swells up when you chew it, gak! Ha I love shooting them and I take great care of the meat. I then have it processed/wrapped and then I "give it away" to anyone who wants to try it. Its "pretty meat", but OMG....my taste buds and stomach find it revolting, ha.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/25/20
WTF and Jim,

Thanks for the info, which tends to confirm my theory about taste-buds.
I have killed two. Both were shot early in the morning, quartered, and put on ice within minutes (30 to 45). Best venison I've ever tasted.
First couple I shot just tasted like venison, nothing great or horrible about them. Last one I shot was hands down the best wild game I've ever eaten. No gamy smell when prepared, little to no gamy flavor to the meat at all. Never put them on ice, just hung and skinned and either cut up myself or hauled into the processor.
Posted By: AMoore141 Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/25/20
The only one ive killed and eaten was killed in Eastern Montana eating sage and brush.....was by far the best wild game ive ever had. I killed and had her skinned within 30 min and on ice in an hour tops. Eaten another one killed in Wyoming in similar area and it was phenomenal.
Posted By: pointer Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/27/20
My wife's a bit picky with meat. Only thing I've shot and brought home that out ranks pronghorn for her has been bison and feral hog. Elk or any variety of deer has been way lower down the list for her. Not sure I disagree...
My favorite hunt and favorite meat. I have only ever eaten antelope from Montana and from mostly pretty sagey country, but the meat has all been great. As everyone has already said, getting it cooled quickly is the main thing. I start saving up plastic milk and juice jugs a month or two before the season starts. I fill them most of the way up with water and then freeze them. They go straight in the body cavity as soon as I get back to the car with at least two bewtween the hams. A lot less mess that way. I also let them hang for a week or so but the weather in Montana that time or year is generally pretty cool, especially at night. Don't cook them past medium; medium rare is better.
Posted By: AMoore141 Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006
Don't cook them past medium; medium rare is better.

That's the best advice ever on any wild game.....lol
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WTF and Jim,

That is sorta weird, but not the first time I've heard it.

I'm curious why that is, wonder if anyone knows. At least I've not heard an explanation.

DF
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 07/31/20
meat of the gods!!!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 08/01/20

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WTF and Jim,

That is sorta weird, but not the first time I've heard it.

I'm curious why that is, wonder if anyone knows. At least I've not heard an explanation.

DF
Found this in Britannica:
for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves."

Taste "buds" vary from person to person, the reason for my theory. Have eaten at a few meals where ALMOST everybody really liked antelope meat, but one could not hack it. Have never tried to analyze this chemically--though Dr, Valerius Geist, the well-known Canadian wildlife biologist, claims that rutting pronghorn bucks taste bad due to increased albumen in the meat, and in his book ANTELOPE COUNTRY lists several complex recipes involving red wine and other stuff to counteract this. But neither I not Eileen or most of the other experience pronghorn hunters I know have detected any significant taste-change in rutting pronghorn bucks, as long as the meat's cooled down quickly.

Thus I suspect Geist is one of those people who perhaps has an "albumen receptor" in their taste buds, as cilantro haters have an aldehyde receptor. But have no proof,, obviously because I have never had the opportunity (or knowledge) to perform such a test. But do know several people who absolutely cannot stand either cilantro or pronghorn meat.

Posted By: 5spd Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 09/03/20
I've been eating goats for many eons it seems, I gut and pull hide back in field to start cooling, haul em home hang over night, process next days. Mine are all killed within 40 miles of home so I never worry about spoi!ing them. Most gets turned into burger mixed with beef and jerky on the smoker, back straps and a bunch of steaks. Some does taste a tad of sage, but since I add spices its nothing to me. If you get one that feeds on ha, alfalfa on ranches they do taste better. When you skin it don't let any hide smell bother you, its not what it's going to taste like. I take a5 gal jug of fresh water and a soup can to wash the inside, helps to cool a tad.
Posted By: roryling1 Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 09/03/20
Originally Posted by barm
I have never tried pronghorn antelope. How does it taste? Is it similar to any other meats? Any tricks to preparing it?

I don't have any to prepare, but I am looking at possibly doing a hunt and I want to know what I am getting into.

Antelope meat soup tastes nice, it is just like a strawberry flavor whereas the regular meat is vanilla flavor.

The Antelope meat seems tougher, and some part of antelope meat is very tender (if cooked well) like the beef part of the antelope meat. I like the taste of antelope's kidney and tongue as anyone else tried this part?

I like the taste of the lap of the antelope meat to the regular meat we buy at supermarkets.

Like I said earlier the Antelope meat is just like another kind of taste of meat, it is still meat.

Thanks.

Rory.
Posted By: MedRiver Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 09/03/20
I agree with the importance of getting it skinned and in a cooler quickly when the weather is warm but really don't think immediate skinning is necessary with cooler temps. I prefer to leave the hide on till I get them home and can skin them in a clean, controlled environment. As long as it is cool (preferably with a breeze) and has a good chance of getting into the 30s at night I let them stay unskinned, lying on their backs or hanging up. If warmer, I take blocks or bags of ice and stuff the chest cavity. Has worked well and I see know difference in flavor, but have to do a lot less trimming once they are home for processing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 09/03/20
MedRiver,

That's been my experience as well. However, most of my pronghorn hunting has taken place in Montana and Wyoming, during rifle seasons which don't open until October. Have always been somewhat baffled by states that open rifle season in August or early September, especially in the Southwest.

There's often frost or even snow on the ground during Montana's season, which goes into November.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 09/03/20
Yea,Colorado opens their archery antelope season Auguts15. That has to be some great eating ( not).

I shoot my antelope in the December seasons
Posted By: drover Re: Pronghorn Antelope Meat - 09/04/20
I have tried antelope meat numerous times and I cannot gag it down, to me it tastes like liver and liver gags me too. To clarify the times I tried it after the first time was because of comment from other folks who were eating off of the same antelope thought it was great. Heck, I can't even stand eating antelope jerky. Like mentioned above different taste buds on different folks.

drover
© 24hourcampfire