Home
Posted By: roundoak Big Game sneak practice - 07/08/20
Spent a few days over the 4th of July weekend at my relatives in Montana to celebrate my Great Uncle's 95th birthday. Spent a lot of time outdoors and one morning I spotted a sleepy bull elk and decided to put a sneak on him. Sought out the right approach with wind in my favor. Got within bow range, he heard the camera shutter, jumped to his feet, gave me a wild-eyed look and poof, he was gone.

No I was not wearing moccasins, Merrell Moab's. grin Good practice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Big Game sneak practice - 07/09/20
Sure gets the heart racing.
Nothing like creeping up on one!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Big Game sneak practice - 07/09/20
Nice work.

One of the guys on The Hunting Public YouTube channel is a sneakin' son of a gun. I've pulled off a few good ones in my time too. Great fun.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Big Game sneak practice - 07/09/20
No I was not wearing moccasins
Years ago I had a pair of hippy type mocs with very heavy double bull hide soles. I wore them bowhunting sometimes. I could sneak through cornflakes with them they were so quiet. They were sort of ok in rocks and terrible in wet grass because they were so slick. My feet couldn't take them any more, though.

they looked kind of like this but they tied in front.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Big Game sneak practice - 07/09/20
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Sure gets the heart racing.

Yes, it does. I think the bull's heart was doing the same. He made a sound like "arrrragh" as if he was gut punched. laugh
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Big Game sneak practice - 07/09/20
I love off season hunts w/ a range finder and seeing how close I can get. Stalking is the art of hunting and is always a thrill. My Altra Lone Peak shoes are really sneaky and great in most terrains. Last year while hiking w/ my wife we had a huge bull elk erupt from his bed under a Juniper, at about 20 yards and surprised us as much as him. It is amazing how that big an animal can disappear so quickly.

mike r
Posted By: jwall Re: Big Game sneak practice - 07/11/20
Fantastic pic.
Thnx

Jerry
Posted By: las Re: Big Game sneak practice - 08/01/20
I was slip hunting moose when i saw a moose butt sticking out of some brush. Could not see the front end, nor enuf of backend to determine sex,

Put the sneak on close enough to see it was a cow. Just for giggles I kept on. I guess she was asleep- I got close enough to poke her in the butt with the rifle muzzle.

I thought better of that idea almost as fast as it formed! smile
© 24hourcampfire