Home
Posted By: Benbo 358 win bullet for elk - 07/31/20
I may take my old 99 in 358 as a spare rifle on this years elk hunt. I have a few boxes of factory 200 horn sp and rnsp ammo. It shoots both fine. Anyone have any experience with either of those on elk? I may get a box of 200gr tsx or 225 sierras and try those. Any opinions or experience with any of the above would be appropriated. Thx.

Ben
Posted By: Judman Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 07/31/20
Biggest Roosevelt bull I ghosted with my 88 358 and 200 silver tips. 358 is just like a whelen, no need for designer bullets to make it shine..
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by Benbo
I may take my old 99 in 358 as a spare rifle on this years elk hunt. I have a few boxes of factory 200 horn sp and rnsp ammo. It shoots both fine. Anyone have any experience with either of those on elk? I may get a box of 200gr tsx or 225 sierras and try those. Any opinions or experience with any of the above would be appropriated. Thx.

Ben

The 200gr bullets are fairly stout, and should be okay at 358 speeds, but they won't be ideal for "raking" shots. Shooting for the ribs or the "opposite" shoulder" they should be fine. I like the 225 Sierras and the 220 Speers at modest velocities, such as those produced in the 358. Never tried the 200 TSX, but the guys who use them like them well.

I save the 200gr lead-tipped bullets for 357 Herrett.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 07/31/20
I use 250 grain Hornady Interlocks.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 07/31/20
It sounds like HuntandShoot, has had good luck with Sierra's for elk as have many others. While many people count on Remington Cor-Lock's to fill their freezers on game as large as moose. For me I have had terrible luck with both bullets. I have a hard time killing a deer with the Remington offering and the Sierra's come apart before much penetration from my experiences. It is always interesting hearing others experiences. There sure is a lot of dead game from those two bullets. Guess I am doing something wrong.
Posted By: North61 Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 07/31/20
225 Nosler Partition. Short enough to work well in the 358, expands well at low velocities at longer ranges and yet holds together.
Posted By: Judman Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 07/31/20
FWIW, I run 225 SGK in (2) 358’s, and my whelen. I wouldn’t be afraid to use any non premium bullet in either chambering, on deer or elk..
I found the Nosler 225 yo be good medicine on near elk/elk sized game - kudu, Waterbuck, Zebra. a stout lload of 4895 works wonders.
Posted By: memtb Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20

Personally I’d lean toward the TTSX over the TSX. It’s supposed to expand at a little lower velocities, which could buy your a few extra yards to work with! It’s difficult to beat Barnes mono bullets on big game! Good Luck with whatever you choose! memtb
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
My best success has been the 250 grain Speer spitzer.
Barnes minimum impact velocity vary by caliber and by weight and by TSX vs TTSX. You can call Barnes and they will tell you the minimum impact velocity for a particular bullet. most are around 1600-1800 fps.
Posted By: Judman Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
The 3fiddygreat doesn’t need “premium “ bullets... 😂😂
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20

225 Sierra’s are extremely deep penetrators, or you can go the partition approach.

250’s often need to be seated to far in for my taste.

once I shot a 200lb buck and was trying to chest him, but he jumped sideways as I was pulling the trigger, the Sierra entered just above his shoulder, hit a couple bones and kept going all the way through the meat until finally stopped at the back hip.

DAMN !
Never seen a 3fiddygreat kill a 200 plus pound buck with a 225 SGK.... haha
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: TheKid Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
I shot a bunch of stuff in AK with plain cup and core bullets in a 20” barreled Whelen. 250s at 2550fps was where the magic happened for me. The only one I ever recall catching was a 250 RN on a quartering shot on a grizzly, it looks like a magazine advertisement.

Had a buddy who killed a bunch of moose with a Sako rebarreled to 358. His favorite bullet was the 200 Spire point.

At these type velocities plain old bullets work great.
225 SGK @2500 probably 40-50 yards, via 3fiddygreat
Posted By: szihn Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
I don't own a 35 cal other then my 35 Remington, but I have in the past. I have never killed an elk with a 35, but I am friends with 4 men that do.

One in Nevada is an old friend who has been one of my hunting partners (BB guns and 22s) since 2nd grade. He has a 35 Whelen I made for him about 12 years ago. he has killed 5-6 elk with it and swears by 225 grain Sierras and 225 grain partitions.

Another in Rawlins Wyoming has a small ring Mauser I made for him about 20 years ago and he loves the 200 grain Barnes TSX. He has killed elk and deer both with that bullet and says it's perfect.

There is a man I made another 35 Whelen for in Riverton Wyoming and he loves the old 250 grain Round Nose Hornady, but I understand that bullet is not made any more. I don't know what he is using now.

Lastly I know a man with a Winchester M88 in 358 who now has moved to Arkansas, but used to live in Green River Wyoming. He used to hunt with factory loads and about 6 years before he moved to Arkansas I got him into reloading. He settled on the 225 grain Nosler Partition and loved it so much he used it for all his hunting from Antelope to elk and at least 1 moose (in Canada) I know of.

I am making a take-down Mauser on a small ring action with a swap-barrel set. The 2 barrels will both have for-ends, sights and be interchangeable. One is a 257 Roberts and the other is a 9X57 Mauser. My 9X57 is "Americanized" because I had a chamber reamer with a pilot ground to fit the American size 35 cal barrels with 358" grooves instead of the German size with 356" grooves. The land to land in the German barrels is a bit tighter then it is on the american .358 size so the pilot needed to be a different diameter.
I expect to set the scope for the 9X57 and the irons both for the Nosler 225 grain. The 9X57 is just a slight bit in front of the 358 Winchester if loaded to the same pressure, and a bit behind the 35 Whelen, but I doubt any elk, moose or bear could tell the difference . So I am betting the 9X57 loaded to the top safe pressure (about like the factory loads for 358) will do the same things the 358 Win will do. I hope I live long enough to try it out and have some fun with it, although I may just sell it too.

The 257 will be zeroed for the 115 grain Partitions. So with those 2 barrels and both having their own scopes and sights, both sets of loading dies and recipes for the 2 loads, I expect to have a take down rifle that is ready for any game from Coyotes to Moose. Maybe in the future I can post a few reports on the results with that .358" bullet, but I expect nothing to add to all the many many men shooting the 358 Winchesters. The case shape is not going to make any real difference so all the 358 Winchester will do I expect to do with the 9X57, using the same bullets at the same speeds and so little faster as to make no difference at all.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
It sounds like HuntandShoot, has had good luck with Sierra's for elk as have many others. While many people count on Remington Cor-Lock's to fill their freezers on game as large as moose. For me I have had terrible luck with both bullets. I have a hard time killing a deer with the Remington offering and the Sierra's come apart before much penetration from my experiences. It is always interesting hearing others experiences. There sure is a lot of dead game from those two bullets. Guess I am doing something wrong.

Yeah the 225 Sierras and the 220 Speers have done well for me at 358 speeds out of a Whelen. Mild shooting at 2520-2550 and good at killing. No drama. I'd recommend either for elk in a 358.
This shiit is gettin serious!!! Haha
Mike Detorre nailed it.

I contacted Barnes a while back and got the following for minimum recommended velocities for their .358 bullets...

180gr TTSX - 1650fps
200gr TSX - 1800fps
200gr TTSX - 1650fps
225gr TSX - 1600fps
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
The 225 Sierra GK is my favorite bullet out of my 20" barreled 350 Rem Mag. Killed 4 elk and numerous deer with that combo. Great bullet. Should work good at 358 winnie speeds.
Posted By: Benbo Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
Thx for the info.

Ben
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
Couple of elk apiece with the Sierra and Nosler 225’s.
Both worked perfectly. Only recovered one, a Sierra.
For an all around take em as they come .358 bullet, I’d take the Nosler partition.
Posted By: Joe Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
I was planning to use a .358 for my annual elk hunt in 1996. Bought some of the new Barnes 180 grain X bullet on their recommendation and about 3.5-4" groups was the very best I could get. I had a 250 grain Speer load that left the muzzle at 2353 fps and would group 1.5-2" on demand so that's the girl I took. The afternoon of Oct. 14 about 12:30 I got my shot at about 50-60 yards. At the shot, he stumbled and traveled 50 yards and was down. Complete penetration combined with terrible destruction to the lungs and an unneeded blood trail that anyone with eyes could follow made me a believer in the 3fiddygreat. I've found it to be as deadly on deer with 200-225 grain bullets also and can't wait for deer season to try her again!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
I've shot my last 2 elk with the 225 NPT out of the 35 Whelen they kill elk dead without blowing up the meat. MB
Posted By: memtb Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20

With the limited velocity of the .358 Win., just about any “decently” constructed cup and core or mono bullet should work quite well.... provided you stay within the bullet’s design limitations! I’m just an “unabashed” user of Barnes Bullets! memtb
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
If I ever get around to loading them the 180 gr Xs sitting on my bench will do well. But I have never had anything but a DRT on whitetail. Used the 200 gr pointed and RN Remington bulk bullets from Midway USA. I figure on my elk loads I will use the Nosler Partitions I bought several hundred of. Be Well, and kill Elk, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by memtb
just about any bullet should work quite well.... provided you stay within the bullet’s design limitations! memtb

Fixed it for you!!
Posted By: hanco Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/02/20
180 TTSX shoot real fine in my 358 Savage 99.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by Judman
Biggest Roosevelt bull I ghosted with my 88 358 and 200 silver tips. 358 is just like a whelen, no need for designer bullets to make it shine..

Damn, you have an 88 in 358...I'm jealous..hunting partner has one in 308 and always liked it. I'd take a 99 too, but had to settle years ago for my BLR.

I shot a deer with my 358 and the 200 Hornady SP at about 200 yards. My load was around 2550 fps and thought I'd maybe catch it. Nope, went through and busted out the opposite shoulder joint on the way out. I'd have no issue using it or the 225 Sierra load I have at about 2450.
Posted By: Recoil_Rob Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by Benbo

Ben

My 99 shoots the Hornady factory loaded .250's very well...

Attached picture IMG_34714.jpg
Posted By: TheKid Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/02/20
Death dealin with a Whelen. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
250 Barnes Original spitzer.035” jacket.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Originally Posted by Judman

Damn, you have an 88 in 358...I'm jealous..hunting partner has one in 308 and always liked it. I'd take a 99 too, but had to settle years ago for my BLR.

I shot a deer with my 358 and the 200 Hornady SP at about 200 yards. My load was around 2550 fps and thought I'd maybe catch it. Nope, went through and busted out the opposite shoulder joint on the way out. I'd have no issue using it or the 225 Sierra load I have at about 2450.

I'm a little jealous too. My 88 is a 308 and also have a BLR .358 Win. Like them both. I shot a buck at about 30 yards with a Hornady 200 SP from my BLR. It broke the opposite shoulder scapula but was lodged against the ball joint. He started quartering away just as I pulled the trigger and ran for 30 or so yards. Retained weight was 149.4 grains / 75%.

Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/04/20
Thanks for the bullet photos guys. You always wonder what it would have looked like if you could get one to stop in the off side. I like to let the air in though. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/04/20
Never used my 358 Hawkeye all weather for elk, but a man could do a lot worse than a 200gr TTSX at 2700 fps, the first and only load other than 200gr TSX at the same velocity I've ever shot through that rifle.
Posted By: Judman Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/04/20
225 SGK after it dug into some meat..
Posted By: beretzs Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/04/20
I’ve used the 225 Partition and Sierra GK a decent amount in my 358 and Whelen. Like Jud posted, the Sierra not be as pretty but man does it hammer animals. Blood trails from a 358 or Whelen are the coolest I’ve seen. Broad and lotsa volume..
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ve used the 225 Partition and Sierra GK a decent amount in my 358 and Whelen. Like Jud posted, the Sierra not be as pretty but man does it hammer animals. Blood trails from a 358 or Whelen are the coolest I’ve seen. Broad and lotsa volume..

Beeg holes are nice, especially in this part of the country.. 😆😆
Posted By: TheKid Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by beretzs

I’ve literally never had a blood trail when using the Whelen. Even on grizzlies. They’ve all been down in sight. Never shot an elk with it though, just blacks and grizzlies, moose, and caribou. Only ever shot two critters with anything but a 250.
Posted By: Joe Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/04/20
Has anyone noticed when using the 358 all the blood and tissue fragments on the ground? It's always in a straight line for 4 to 6 feet on the exit side. I have not seen this with 7mm or '06 although I may have missed it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by Joe
Has anyone noticed when using the 358 all the blood and tissue fragments on the ground? It's always in a straight line for 4 to 6 feet on the exit side. I have not seen this with 7mm or '06 although I may have missed it.

Yes sir, they seem to pull a bunch of stuff from the exit holes. That Sierra expands pretty widely from the few times I have put it into water jugs, to the order of .750-.800"
Posted By: Fotis Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/05/20
200gr TSX
225 NP
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by memtb

Personally I’d lean toward the TTSX over the TSX. It’s supposed to expand at a little lower velocities, which could buy your a few extra yards to work with! It’s difficult to beat Barnes mono bullets on big game! Good Luck with whatever you choose! memtb

After randomly asking about a specific bullet, I ALWAYS email Barnes about new rifles/loads. Here is the reply about their .358 offerings. MANY of their bullets have different design windows. I have been quoted anywhere from 1500 FPS (168 TTSX .308) up to 2000 FPS for the min opening velocity depending on the bullet in reference.

<<<
The 180 will open down to 1900 fps, the 200 gr. will open down to 1800 fps and the 225 will open down to 1600 fps.
>>>

Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/05/20
As Judman pointed out earlier, the 358 Win doesn't require fancy bullets to make it shine. No point in using bullets like Barnes in 358. It produces modest velocities that are ideal for cup/core bullets on large game. The monolithics are long for their weight, which is a significant detriment in the small package that is the 358. Which 358 cup/core bullet of appropriate weight WON'T work for elk?
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/10/20
HuntNshoot! That's the only question that need be asked here. Thanks. Kind of like buying cars. Don't think about the clown selling you the car. What are you getting and for how much? Be Well medium bore guys, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: domit Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/16/20
my rem. 600 in 350 loves the 225 nosler. deer never move. 1 big black bear went 2 to 3 feet before belly up. shot him at 27 feet. don't know what it weight was but f & g said the hide was 7' 1 " head was 19 13/16 just short of book.
Posted By: MarknMaggie Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 08/17/20
Benbo- Does your old 99 have a crescent shaped, metal butt plate (I am not familiar w/ late 50's or early 60's Savages)? If so, you might want to try the Barnes 180 gr. TTSX for some recoil reduction while still maintaining an elk capable projectile. I have been working up loads for the 180 TTSX in my Ruger Hawkeye SS with Ramshot TAC & X-Terminator. 2809 fps average w/ TAC and, so far, 2715 fps w/ X-terminator (capable of more). These velocities may be too much for a 99 even though I observed no high pressure indications. -Mark
Posted By: hanco Re: 358 win bullet for elk - 09/07/20
Originally Posted by MarknMaggie
Benbo- Does your old 99 have a crescent shaped, metal butt plate (I am not familiar w/ late 50's or early 60's Savages)? If so, you might want to try the Barnes 180 gr. TTSX for some recoil reduction while still maintaining an elk capable projectile. I have been working up loads for the 180 TTSX in my Ruger Hawkeye SS with Ramshot TAC & X-Terminator. 2809 fps average w/ TAC and, so far, 2715 fps w/ X-terminator (capable of more). These velocities may be too much for a 99 even though I observed no high pressure indications. -Mark

I load the 180 TTSX a grain under max for my 99. No pressure signs. Action opens easy, very very accurate in that rifle.
© 24hourcampfire