Home
Posted By: pacecars Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
I am thinking about booking a bear hunt for 2021 or 2022 in either Alaska, Maine or Saskatchewan. Any recommendations as to outfitters? I would like the opportunity for a Cinnamon phase but wouldn’t hold out if a big black one shows up. If there is a better place I am all ears.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
IMO, cinnamon means a trip to Canada. Maine has blacks, not many real smashers but a white chest can be a great trophy.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Kinda what my research has shown. The outfitter I am looking at in Canada has some huge bears and color phase bears. They are booked up until 2022. I loved Alaska and a combo hunt could be possible there. I threw in Maine because I have grown up on stories about Wayne Bosowicz and Foggy Mountain Guide Service
Posted By: CanadianLefty Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Canada might not be possible next Spring. The borders are still closed. I doubt that the Saskatchewan outfitter is booked until 2022 any longer unless he pushed all of his 2020 clients out. With the U.S. leading the world in deaths and smashing new Covid-19 case record highs, the Prime Minister and the average Canadian doesn't seem to be interested in reopening the borders any time soon.

If Color phase, Western states might be a better bet. I have seen huge color phase bears in Montana and Idaho, even Colorado. Be selective.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
What others said...color phase bears are more rare to non-existent the closer you get to each coast. Saskatchewan would be a good bet, as would Alberta...but with slightly less color. Other Canadian provinces dont offer as much color or size as Sask. and Alberta. Check out Kisslinger Outfitting in Sask.
Alberta offers two bear hunts, which Sask. doesn't.....lots of bears in both places.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As far as I know Maine and AK are out for any reasonable chance at a color phases. This one is SW Montana.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Areas in the interior of AK produce colored bears but odds would seem to be much better in the Rocky Mountain states.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Interesting that the further you go from the coasts the better the chance of color phase bears. Pretty rare in Wisconsin.
Pure genetic chance or wonder if there is a evolutionary cause? I guess in mountain areas a lighter phase may blend in better and a black phase would blend in heavy forested areas.
Posted By: Judman Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
I’d do Alberta or Saskatchewan,
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
In thirty years of guiding I have only seen one brown black bear in Wisconsin. Try Idaho in the states or Alberta in Canada...
Posted By: Judman Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
We’ve got quite a few in Washington, pretty much I-5 is the border, very few color phase west of I5, just a mile or 2 east of i5 you get into color phase. SE wa and ne Oregon in the blues have lotsa color phase. Idaho has lots too, but if you want a biggun go to Alberta or Saskatchewan
Posted By: pacecars Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Sounds like Canada is the place.

Yeah, Idaho, Montana, western Wy (?), and if I’m not mistaken, AZ too.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Yes Arizona too
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
Areas in the interior of AK produce colored bears but odds would seem to be much better in the Rocky Mountain states.

+1

AK has priced itself out of the black bear market for non-residents at 450 for the tag and almost 200 for the license. Aside from some select areas our black bears are on the small side.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Heres a Saskatchewan Blonde...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Cascade Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Washington has about 30,000 black bears. Color phase bears: cinnamon, chocolate, even blonde, are pretty common east of the Cascade crest. Here's a photo of my son's first Washington bear. Quite a few more in that area. Spot and stalk in Washington (or calling them) but that hasn't been a problem for us.

His next one was more of a dark chocolate color. In the sunshine, it looks reddish:

And one of mine:

Idaho, Washington, Oregon, western Montana - all have quite a few "color phase" black bears, and some great hunt options.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
About 1/3 of the bears I've seen here in Montana in the wild have been color-phase bears. Never any blonds, but usually cinnamon reds and light browns when I see them. Pretty bears.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is the SW Mt bear from above, just under 6’. I only ever wanted one “cinnamon-blond-strawberry” black bear. I saw one other years earlier in the Bob Marshal and missed it.

Probably won’t hunt them again.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/24/20
Here's my 2 cents worth. Color phase bear would be the Western US. Just getting a black bear would be Ontario---in the US--Maine Big black bear would be coastal AK or Prince of Wales AK. Alberta or Sask for big baited black bear.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
Heres a Saskatchewan Blonde...

Fine looking bear & rifle!
Posted By: castnblast Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/25/20
The most interesting colour phase bears I have seen are some near the geographic centre of British Columbia. I have seen several there ( near our summer cabin) that were a rich cinnamon colour on the entire body, except the legs, muzzle, and ears, which were black. Very cool combination. We have a reasonable proportion of brown and light brown bears here in Saskatchewan. Unfortunately, I can't recommend an outfitter, I just go hunt them by myself.
Posted By: Bperdue21 Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/26/20
Are you wanting to hunt over bait? With dogs? Be Satisfied with a black, or black with white chest bear?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/26/20
Prettiest black bears come from Yakutat and north to Icy Bay, roughly. Blue-gray, glacier bears. Kermode bears are equally nice for novelty.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/27/20
I figure a baited bear Hunt would be best
Posted By: Cascade Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/27/20
Idaho offers baited hunts - and color-phase bears. I know it wasn't on your list of places. Might be worth investigating?

Regards, Guy
Posted By: domit Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by pacecars
Kinda what my research has shown. The outfitter I am looking at in Canada has some huge bears and color phase bears. They are booked up until 2022. I loved Alaska and a combo hunt could be possible there. I threw in Maine because I have grown up on stories about Wayne Bosowicz and Foggy Mountain Guide Service

don't go there!!!!!!
Posted By: ribka Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/29/20
great colors on those bears

Originally Posted by Cascade
Washington has about 30,000 black bears. Color phase bears: cinnamon, chocolate, even blonde, are pretty common east of the Cascade crest. Here's a photo of my son's first Washington bear. Quite a few more in that area. Spot and stalk in Washington (or calling them) but that hasn't been a problem for us.

His next one was more of a dark chocolate color. In the sunshine, it looks reddish:

And one of mine:

Idaho, Washington, Oregon, western Montana - all have quite a few "color phase" black bears, and some great hunt options.

Regards, Guy

Posted By: longarm Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/29/20
I've seen several cinnamon in the Blue Mnts of NE Oregon and on the Snake River bordering Idaho
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Black Bear hunts - 10/30/20
NE Oregon bear

Posted By: pacecars Re: Black Bear hunts - 11/04/20
How about BC? Spring spot and stalk and can take 2 bears
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Black Bear hunts - 11/04/20
What do you figure that would cost a guy in 2021 if you can get over the border? Keep it simple and leave out travel costs. Mb
Posted By: EdM Re: Black Bear hunts - 11/04/20
Originally Posted by pacecars
How about BC? Spring spot and stalk and can take 2 bears

BC spot and stalk.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: pacecars Re: Black Bear hunts - 11/04/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What do you figure that would cost a guy in 2021 if you can get over the border? Keep it simple and leave out travel costs. Mb

Around $5000 for 5 hunting days and add $1500 if you want a 2nd bear
© 24hourcampfire