Home
Took a break from the TV election coverage and took the dogs outside, where I saw hogs at one of my deer feeding areas.

Grabbed the .308 with Sightmark Wraith night vision and settled in, watching the bigger hog, and waiting for another to cross paths with it... grin

Very short video:

Bandit had a grand time. smile Had to clean him up before going to the house... That big hog was messy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Nice! That's one advantage to using a 308 instead of a 223. I'm not sure a 223 would penetrate that much pig to get to the one behind.
Great video. What was the range? Do I remember you running CoreLokts? Always a fun challenge to go for the double if they'll cooperate.
Two less in Texas! I saw this bunch of small ones last Saturday evening. No sow with them, someone must have shot her. I killed one at dark.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by JPro
Great video. What was the range? Do I remember you running CoreLokts? Always a fun challenge to go for the double if they'll cooperate.

I do use Corelokt's in my .308 upper that has a scope on it.

This upper has the nightvision, and I just use cheap 165gr soft points.
Good to get rid of them.
OKAY ! way to go.

My neighbor who is a relative told me yesterday that we have 'some' wild hogs in our neighborhood along a big creek.
FIRST i've heard of pigs anywhere near here.
They are targets now.

Jerry
My son did that the other day with his 243.
I hope to trap-shoot some this weekend. Plenty out there!!!
Simple eradication or are they edible?
Yes! Stack em up!
Originally Posted by ironbender

Some do eat them, and some don't.

The diseases down here push me to the "don't" column.

The game processing place just down the road condemns about 1/2 of the hogs brought in. A talk with the owner there and seeing a few examples made my mind up for me. Aside from the USDA facts about wild hog diseases. Unlike deer, feral hogs can't even be donated to feed the needy, due to widespread infectious diseases.

My son is in the other column. I've seen him butcher and eat even old, rank boars... sick
Cleaned and butchered a nice shoat last week for my old neighbore. He caught it in a trap. Beautiful meat!!
you got to love it when a plan comes together .
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ironbender

Some do eat them, and some don't.

The diseases down here push me to the "don't" column.

The game processing place just down the road condemns about 1/2 of the hogs brought in. A talk with the owner there and seeing a few examples made my mind up for me. Aside from the USDA facts about wild hog diseases. Unlike deer, feral hogs can't even be donated to feed the needy, due to widespread infectious diseases.

My son is in the other column. I've seen him butcher and eat even old, rank boars... sick

They're the dirtiest freakin animal I've ever touched. I've had it and it was a little gamey and no fat. I'd give it an OK, but not the best pork I've ever had. Nothing over 100 lbs. for me. After seeing how dirty those bastards are, it'll make you not exactly crave it. They're fun as hell to shoot though.
laugh laugh
The only good FERAL PIG is a dead one. DED dead. Be Well, RZ.
Got this one yesterday evening, 798 mausered his ass

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I won’t eat them, no way Jose
Nice, good to stay 'vented' these days, I wore my ass smooth 8 lb maul splitting 2.5 ricks of post oak Friday, still good and smooth this morning ; ]
A twofer from last Saturday eve.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

+/- 90 yds.
ATN X-Sight HD2, 3-14, 308 Win. 165gr. Sierra Spitzer.

ya!

GWB
Way to go! Two less of the SOBs
Haha nice shot
Barry, that's the 2nd time we've seen you getting a 'twofer'..... how about a 'threefer'! grin

Good shooting!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Cleaned and butchered a nice shoat last week for my old neighbore. He caught it in a trap. Beautiful meat!!

Shoats, yeah. They cook up well.

What turned me off, was watching trail cam pictures of a pack of hogs eating a nasty 300 # boar. They ate him down to his skeleton in just a few hours.

And yeah, I know what he weighed, I weighed him before dragging him to the bone yard.

I will kill all I can; generally I like my pork to come from Kroger’s.

YMMV

DF
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Barry, that's the 2nd time we've seen you getting a 'twofer'..... how about a 'threefer'! grin

Good shooting!

laugh

Maybe...

Gotta catch the smaller ones in front.

Pigs get too big, even that .308 w/ 165sp won't go through well.

Good shooting!

laugh

Maybe...

FMJ?

Good shooting!

laugh

Maybe...

FMJ?

Soft Points.

I don't have much use for FMJ's...
Congrats on your success.
© 24hourcampfire