Home
Posted By: elkchsr Caught a TTSX - 11/25/20
First time I’ve recovered one. 150 gr. Out of a 280AI. Shot was 230 yards and hit the front shoulder an was laying against the hide on the offside. No complaints about the results.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: rong Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/25/20
Looks like it held together well.
To bad that 4th on the rt was broken,nice buck either way
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/25/20
Hell yeah.

What shooting stix are those?
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/25/20
Thanks guys. Those are some cheapo Primos sticks. I think they are called polecat or something. Nice and light.
Posted By: efw Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/25/20
Wow that’s a pretty dense body to have stopped that bullet.

Beautiful mushroom and buck!
Posted By: DropTyne Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/25/20
I caught a 168 TTSX out of a 30-06 with a similar 200-yard shot on my bull elk this year. The bull was slightly quartering away and the bullet went through the front side shoulder and was found under the hide in the neck. The bullet lost 2 petals which were recovered in the neck roast while butchering. The bull dropped in his tracks.

This is the first animal I have personally taken with a Barnes, but have seen others use them successfully for years. I don't think the bull would have been any more "dead" had the bullet exited. 😁

Posted By: skeen Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by elkchsr
First time I’ve recovered one. 150 gr. Out of a 280AI. Shot was 230 yards and hit the front shoulder an was laying against the hide on the offside. No complaints about the results.

Nice!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/25/20
Dats a nice mule deer nowadays....
Very happily seeing more nice bucks taken than Ive seen in years...
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Great buck Congrats
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Great buck, congrats, I haven’t recovered one yet.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by hanco
Great buck, congrats, I haven’t recovered one yet.

Ditto. I've been using Barnes nearly exclusively for about 30 years and couldn't count the number of game taken and have yet to recover a single bullet except for the ones dug out of the berm behind my target stand.
Nice buck!
Posted By: murkydismal Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
I've recovered 4-5 168 TTSX, out of 3006 @ 2682 fps, from several mule deer and elk both close up (30 yards) to almost 300 yards. Lost petals etc. but killed the animals.

Internet experiences notwithstanding, I also had total failure of 4 different 120 TTSX out of 280 @ 3269 fps on bighorn (1 shot) and pronghorn (took 3 shots) in 2012. Total disintegration, little penetration, bits & pieces of bullet recovered on the pronghorn (of all animals), and lost the bighorn.

Have not shot one at an animal since.

Before the guru's take me to task, I routinely examine wound channels on animals I have shot, have a pretty good idea of how (numerous different) bullets have performed on my game shot over the last 50 years, and the TTSX failures were bona fide, not imagined or based on crappy shooting, excessive distances, iron plated animals, full moon, COVID, or Democrats.
Posted By: Teal Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dats a nice mule deer nowadays....
Very happily seeing more nice bucks taken than Ive seen in years...

This!
Posted By: wade brown Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Pretty much did what it was supposed to do, nice work!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Great buck! Lots of character.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by murkydismal
I've recovered 4-5 168 TTSX, out of 3006 @ 2682 fps, from several mule deer and elk both close up (30 yards) to almost 300 yards. Lost petals etc. but killed the animals.

Internet experiences notwithstanding, I also had total failure of 4 different 120 TTSX out of 280 @ 3269 fps on bighorn (1 shot) and pronghorn (took 3 shots) in 2012. Total disintegration, little penetration, bits & pieces of bullet recovered on the pronghorn (of all animals), and lost the bighorn.

Before the guru's take me to task, I routinely examine wound channels on animals I have shot, have a pretty good idea of how (numerous different) bullets have performed on my game shot over the last 50 years, and the TTSX failures were bona fide, not imagined or based on crappy shooting, excessive distances, iron plated animals, full moon, COVID, or Democrats.

Its essentially impossible that a monometal bullet completely disintegrates.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by BWalker

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: beretzs Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Great buck and great recovery on that bullet. Looks good
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by jwp475

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

But he clearly witnessed it on the sheep he lost.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/27/20

Were those all from the same box of bullets? Sounds like you got a bad batch.
Posted By: murkydismal Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/27/20
Well guys, I clearly saw that (fragments) on the antelope hit 3 times and RECOVERED. And apparently not impossible for a mono to disintegrate, because they did on the antelope, and none passed through as there were 3 entrance holes, ZERO exits.

Yes they were all from the same box of bullets, so I have already decided they were a bad batch.

And before some post smart a** comments about things like the sheep he didn't recover, bother to read the antelope aspect. ain't making this s*** up. When I say I've followed wound channels in 50 years worth of big game you can bank it.

So there's that.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/27/20
Good catch. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/28/20
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

But he clearly witnessed it on the sheep he lost.

Given the animal wasn't recovered he doesn't know for certain where it was hit.
Posted By: Goosey Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/28/20
Well guys, I clearly saw that (fragments) on the antelope hit 3 times and RECOVERED. And apparently not impossible for a mono to disintegrate, because they did on the antelope, and none passed through as there were 3 entrance holes, ZERO exits.

How many and how large fragments? I find it very hard to believe the entire bullet would fragment into pieces. The petals shearing off and leaving only the stump, sure.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/28/20
Originally Posted by Goosey

How many and how large fragments? I find it very hard to believe the entire bullet would fragment into pieces. The petals shearing off and leaving only the stump, sure.

Yes that has always been my experience but as I suspected it probably was a problem with the copper being way overworked and thus very frangible basically turning them into varmint bullets. I have heard that at one point Barnes had trouble sourcing good copper and this was probably the result.
My experience with Barnes has been very different but I sure can't fault Murky for not using them based on his experience.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/28/20
Barnes does make a bullet designed to disintegrate for use by LEO’s and others to avoid ricochets.

So perhaps Murky’s disintegrating bullets were put in the wrong box by mistake?

https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tac-rrlp/

https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/mpg/

Posted By: efw Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/28/20
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Were those all from the same box of bullets? Sounds like you got a bad batch.

That’s my thought as well
Posted By: BWalker Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/28/20

Yes that has always been my experience but as I suspected it probably was a problem with the copper being way overworked and thus very frangible basically turning them into varmint bullets. I have heard that at one point Barnes had trouble sourcing good copper and this was probably the result.
My experience with Barnes has been very different but I sure can't fault Murky for not using them based on his experience.

No way would the shank become that brittle. The trouble barnes had sourcing good copper was over a decade ago and even back then bullets were not disintegrating.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/30/20
To each his own. I think we can all agree we tend to keep using what has worked for us in the past until it doesn't. We then search for something else based on our experiences and data parameters. If you weren't there don't try in interject your experiences into a situation you have no knowledge of. We all have had strange things happen to equipment while hunting. Not to mention the game doing strange things. Just keep using what works for you until it doesn't. Good hunting and shooting.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by MS9x56
To each his own. I think we can all agree we tend to keep using what has worked for us in the past until it doesn't. We then search for something else based on our experiences and data parameters. If you weren't there don't try in interject your experiences into a situation you have no knowledge of. We all have had strange things happen to equipment while hunting. Not to mention the game doing strange things. Just keep using what works for you until it doesn't. Good hunting and shooting.

You must not be a very good rifle looney. Most of us are constantly trying new cartridges, bullets, rifles, etc.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Caught a TTSX - 11/30/20
There are TTSXs (or clones), then there are the rest...
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Although I'm a Partition guy through and through, a new 308 just appeared in my life, and I think my son will be carrying that rifle armed with 150g TTSXs for elk next year.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/02/20
Very nice buck, congrats.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/02/20
I recovered a 120 grain TTSX this year as well. The bullet weighed 101.2 grains after. It lost one petal but still excellent expansion.

Shot was about 75 yards from the Ruger #1 .275 Rigby. The 8 pt was facing me and I hit him in the neck. Bullet traversed about 2' of whitetail.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by Pugs
I recovered a 120 grain TTSX this year as well. The bullet weighed 101.2 grains after. It lost one petal but still excellent expansion.

Shot was about 75 yards from the Ruger #1 .275 Rigby. The 8 pt was facing me and I hit him in the neck. Bullet traversed about 2' of whitetail.

Whitley County?
Posted By: 65BR Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/02/20
Nice Mule Deer, congrats!

The old XBT from a 243.....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2818293/1
Posted By: Pugs Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by Pugs

Whitley County?

Yep - on the farm
Posted By: 65BR Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/02/20
The #1 Rigby - sounds like that nice sporter they mfg. - nice rifle. I hit a buck like that in CO with a 150 PT, went to the very back of the ham. 2850 mv, about 275 yds...from a 270.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/04/20

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

X3 on this^^^
Posted By: ledvm Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/04/20

No way would the shank become that brittle. The trouble barnes had sourcing good copper was over a decade ago and even back then bullets were not disintegrating.

I have shot everything from coyotes to elephants with copper and brass monolithic bullets. While the may be criticized for under expansion at times...they DO NOT disintegrate.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/15/20
Below are pictures of the various Barnes XLC, MRX, TTSX, and LRX bullets I've recovered from game in the last 19 years:

Yup, not a one. Ranges have been as close as about 20 feet with a .300WM to several hundred yards. I put two completely through mule deer lengthwise at about 300 yards. I did recover one from water jugs - .300WM, 180g TTSX. Lost a petal. Antelope, mule deer and elk all hate them. I like them.
Posted By: WAM Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/16/20
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Below are pictures of the various Barnes XLC, MRX, TTSX, and LRX bullets I've recovered from game in the last 19 years:

Yup, not a one. Ranges have been as close as about 20 feet with a .300WM to several hundred yards. I put two completely through mule deer lengthwise at about 300 yards. I did recover one from water jugs - .300WM, 180g TTSX. Lost a petal. Antelope, mule deer and elk all hate them. I like them.

No kidding! Tales of disintegrating TTSX are in the category of “ It’s your story; tell it however you like”. I don’t buy it myself. LOL!
Posted By: KodiakHntr Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/18/20
I've sheared petals off before - usually finding petals caught in the offside hide and an exit hole - but haven't seen on disintegrate. Not to say that it won't happen, fling enough bullets at enough stuff and you will see some weird [bleep].

I HAVE had TSX/TTSX failure to opens before, and I have seen some absolutely spectacular penetration on stuff like bull elk at close-ish range, ie bust the on side shoulder on a quartering in bull and finding a perfectly expanded bullet under the hide on the opposite side hip. AND I had one that didn't open much at all, that only went 14" in the backstrap of an elk that was headed down a steep hill for the river at the bottom of a canyon. I fully expected to drive that one in front of the hips and have it come out the brisket, but nope. Nothing but hide and meat and stopped less than 14" in. And that was a 180 from a 300 Ultra.

In fact, every elk that I have shot with a TTSX/TSX has caught a bullet somewhere in it except one bull that I punched a 150 TTSX through broadside in my back yard from a 280AI. Only Barnes product I haven't caught in an elk is the original 140 X from a 264 Win Mag, but I caught one of those in a smallish whitetail buck at 200+ yards that was sneaking head down straight towards the rattles. And that bullet went in a tear duct at the corner of his eye and traveled the FULL length of his body an inch over from the spinal cord and was in the tail, but it was bent over in a half moon shape with one open petal. That one sat straight back and had his legs curled under him when we walked up to him. Not a single drop of blood anywhere, no blood or bloodshot in the cavity. Buddy of mine and his dad were there, and his dad figured I must've scared that buck to death when the bullet went past. Wasn't until we cut his head off after he was skinned that we found the bullet path in the spinal column.

Enough bullets into animals, and you will see weird [bleep] happen.
Now, after the initial shot, if I can slip another bullet into vitals on a stationary animal that is standing there, he gets one. Or two. If that animal is making headway trying to get away and the reaction doesn't feel right, ANY patch of hair on that one gets a bullet. Regardless of what bullet is coming out of the tube.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Caught a TTSX - 12/18/20
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Although I'm a Partition guy through and through, a new 308 just appeared in my life, and I think my son will be carrying that rifle armed with 150g TTSXs for elk next year.

I've had some good experiences with one of those clones, will stick with em for now.
© 24hourcampfire