Home
Posted By: MattO Recommend a tannery? - 12/01/06
My buddy wants to get the hide tanned from the buck he shot yesterday morning. It'll be a hair-on tan. Is he better off to work through a local taxidermist, or go straight to a tannery? Can anyone recommend a tannery? Thanks for the info.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Recommend a tannery? - 12/01/06
The majority of high end tanneries will not deal with the public and only do whole sale and taxidermy work. Likely better off to use a local taxidermist, suggest Carolina Fur dressing if you have an option with them.

Aside from that you would likley have to call New Method(san fran), carolina, or wildlife gallery in Mi, and see if they will take you skin as a non taxidermist.

I' would think you would be better off just using a local taxidermist IMO
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Recommend a tannery? - 12/02/06
Some of the folks locally use New Method. I don't think they're tricking anyone into believing they're anyone special. NM has a good rep around here.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Recommend a tannery? - 12/02/06
What about WB Place or Moyles ? They deal directly with the public and are reasonable.

I believe $20-$30 for hair-off at WB Place and $40 for hair on at Moyles.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Recommend a tannery? - 12/02/06
Rocky Mountain Tanners does great work in Denver. I am not sure how he would ship it, but google them.
Posted By: MattO Re: Recommend a tannery? - 12/04/06
Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out.
Posted By: Rimrock Re: Recommend a tannery? - 12/06/06
Moyles are having problems. We've handled lots of buffalo for taxidermists in recent weeks, & the stories....
They have a lot of people mad at them. Including me.
If you do have a problem there, it helps to speak Spanish.
Posted By: 8mmRem Re: Recommend a tannery? - 12/31/06
Uber , in Owatonna minnesota. They have been in bussiness for close to 50 years.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Recommend a tannery? - 12/31/06
I agree with Uber for tanning leather - they don't do hair on though. I have subsidized the US Postal system substantially in sending hides their way. I have had hundreds of mittens, gloves, and other items made by them from my hides - both moose and caribou- which they've tanned.

Uber Glove and Tanning
308 Adams (it's a little bit hard to find Adams)
Owatonna, MN 55060
(507) 451-1990

http://www.uberglove.com/
© 24hourcampfire