Home
Posted By: Bugger dry firing - 01/21/21
How many people spend time dry firing when the weather outside is just too miserable?
Posted By: Windfall Re: dry firing - 01/21/21
Dad wasn’t exactly proficient with his BAR, so a couple weeks before our deer season I hung his rifle over the door knob in his bedroom so that he could practice scoping things out the window. Fast forward to opening day when he cracked a big 8 point and on the run no less. We teased him that the deer had a death wish, but no doubt that pre-season familiarity with his rifle sure helped.
Posted By: reivertom Re: dry firing - 01/22/21
Only with a snap cap!
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: dry firing - 01/22/21
I do but the weather is very seldom too miserable here. Dry fire practice is very useful and beneficial IMHO.
Posted By: memtb Re: dry firing - 01/22/21

I occasionally do with my rifle, more so with my handgun that I want to do some hunting with! memtb
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: dry firing - 01/22/21
+ 1 on dry firing. Except with a bow smile

This sounds nuts, but I used to set up a magazine with the photo of a whitetail at the end of the hall, and have them acquire it with the scope. Of course we also practiced shooting with air rifles and other rifles year around. Dry firing is very helpful, and I do it now occasionally.

If concerned about damage, get a snap cap.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: dry firing - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by reivertom
Only with a snap cap!

Bet you wear a mask too
Posted By: GregK Re: dry firing - 01/24/21
Pretty much everyday. I have an 1851 Navy replica hanging on the wall and I put some rubber tubing pieces over the nipples and I'll dry fire it often. Sometimes I take a gun out of the safe and dry fire as well.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: dry firing - 01/24/21
Nope
Posted By: szihn Re: dry firing - 01/24/21
all the time.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
Every competent shooter that I know dryfires frequently. It is effective, time efficient and will not deplete your ammo reserves.

mike r
Posted By: ckat Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
...It is effective, time efficient and will not deplete your ammo reserves...

x2
Posted By: tkinak Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
Dry firing is a great way to find out your firing pin bushing was set to far back into the bolt!! smile
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
Nope never, might not hurt some guns but some will become battered to death like 22's rimfire rifle and revolvers, m93 mausers, 95's &96's . They just aren't made for firing without the pin cushioning of a primer to fall against. Saw a LC Smith dbl once with both firing pin retainers broke out of it from dry firing. First thing I Iook at when buying a used revolver or 22 is the cyl face or barrel face to see if someone has dry fired it , if they have I just walk away. Mb
Posted By: CRS Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
I dry fire quite a bit and try to use caps, but not always. I like to pause hunting shows on TV and dry fire at the critters on TV.

I think I dry fired 1000's of times at African animals before each of my trips.

It is very good practice, an eraser jammed into the primer pocket makes a great snap cap.
Posted By: moosemike Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
You can make a great snap cap with a hot glue gun
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
Bolt rifles get dry fired using field images printed and attached to the wall, with an IOTA. No snap cap needed. Striker-fired pistols also get dry fired with no snap cap.

My .22’s get an empty piece of brass in the chamber for dry firing.

Posted By: Centennial Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
I insist that my kids and wife start dry firing 2+ months before their hunts at magazine pictures tacked to the wall and it has paid off for them big time.

Last year I couldn't take a shot at a bear standing broad side with a Contender over crossed sticks because i had not practiced enough before the season. I shot off a sand bagged bench to confirm the zero and that wasn't enough to make an ethical shot in the field. Ill spend time dry firing over crossed sticks this year!
Posted By: rost495 Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by reivertom
Only with a snap cap!

waste of time on modern guns.

I would swear I've dry fired an M16 a million times.. we dry fire handguns all the time. Bolt guns too. I check rimfire for pin infringement first. And I don't own a single gun that isn't safe to, well except the old cap locks. and nipples are pretty cheap if you had to.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by CRS
I dry fire quite a bit and try to use caps, but not always. I like to pause hunting shows on TV and dry fire at the critters on TV.

I think I dry fired 1000's of times at African animals before each of my trips.

It is very good practice, an eraser jammed into the primer pocket makes a great snap cap.

The eraser is a great idea, will have to try it.
Posted By: Blueboy Re: dry firing - 01/25/21
I fit a piece of eraser in primer pockets of brass for several of my riifles, and dry fire whenever.....no harm done as I can see. Been doing this for years.
Posted By: CRS Re: dry firing - 01/26/21
If you make up enough snap cap rounds you can load the magazine and practice cycling the action without bringing the rifle down from your shoulder.
Did that a bunch off of "sticks" practicing for Africa.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: dry firing - 03/03/21
Daily
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: dry firing - 03/03/21
All the time with my centerfires. No snap caps.
Posted By: JoshK Re: dry firing - 03/03/21
All the time. Great trigger control practice.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: dry firing - 03/03/21
[quote=Blueboy]I fit a piece of eraser in primer pockets of brass for several of my riifles, and dry fire whenever.....no harm done as I can see. Been doing this for years.[/quote

Great idea
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: dry firing - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by CRS
If you make up enough snap cap rounds you can load the magazine and practice cycling the action without bringing the rifle down from your shoulder.
Did that a bunch off of "sticks" practicing for Africa.

Also a great idea.
Posted By: CascadeJinx Re: dry firing - 03/07/21
Dry firing is great! Very little meat damage and no crippled game to track down! Only problem is no blood trail to follow! smile
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: dry firing - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by CascadeJinx
Dry firing is great! Very little meat damage and no crippled game to track down! Only problem is no blood trail to follow! smile
Since you're pretend hunting, you can fill your pack with rocks and do some pretend packing out.
Posted By: LeftHunter Re: dry firing - 03/08/21
I use two 25 pound bags of rice in place of the rocks, much easier on my pack!😁
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: dry firing - 03/08/21
Most of my guns are safe to dry fire, but I still like to use snap caps to practice running the actions. .22s get a #12 screw anchor that works as well as the plastic snap caps at a fraction of the cost. Don’t extract though.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: dry firing - 03/08/21

I purchase snap caps in relevant cartridge size and use them as they are a different colour (brown) to live rounds and easily identifiable, I do not so much use them for dry firing so much as to run through magazines when introducing new shooters or working on rifles.

I don't really dry fire much.
Posted By: Hubert Re: dry firing - 03/08/21
Thats a practice for Idiots..
Posted By: riverboots Re: dry firing - 03/09/21
I dry fire my handgun daily. My hunting rifle several times a week.
Posted By: riverboots Re: dry firing - 03/09/21
My granddad " dry fired" his 30-06 while aiming out the upstairs bedroom window. Unfortunately, he had neglected to check the chamber first. Fortunately, he lived out in the middle of nowhere, so no harm was done other than a broken window and the lengthy stay in the doghouse imposed by grandma, who was downstairs in the kitchen at the time.

I check and double check every single time, making absolutely certain the gun is not loaded before dry fire practice.
Posted By: rost495 Re: dry firing - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by Hubert

Ah. So you do it all the time then?

What a stupid statement. The best shots in the world dry fire constantly. Along with cross training. But you knew that....
Posted By: mathman Re: dry firing - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by Hubert

You're reminding me of those fumes you inhaled while smelting batteries.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: dry firing - 03/10/21
I never dry fire my guns, but I do shoot a pellet gun almost every day. And at least a couple of times a week I'll see a varmint or two to shoot while checking the cattle.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: dry firing - 03/10/21
Tikka owners manual says always use a snap cap
© 24hourcampfire