Home
Posted By: roundoak Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
Some random photos from Wisconsin's 2021 Wolf season Feb 22-28. Season was cut short to three days because quota was exceeded.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: roundoak Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21

img]https://i.imgur.com/CHfDFNl.jpg[/img]

Posted By: ttpoz Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
Nice! I love to see wolves dead.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
Good job Wis. hunters, for gettin' er done.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
And they wonder where the northern deer herd went. Look at the size of those critters! I do wonder why something that our weighs what is chasing it and barking wouldn't get turned on and chewed? The state pays out lots of $ for bear dogs that get killed by wolves.
Love it. I only wish the dnr would have set a higher quota. Maybe like 1500
Posted By: SKane Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
It's really quite amazing how quickly folks ramped up for this hunt.
216 in less than 60 hours. shocked
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
Good hunting and shooting.

L.W.
Posted By: ribka Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21

outstanding

Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by SKane

There were rumors that there was a wolf behind every tree
laugh
Posted By: ribka Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
Good to see them using hounds too.
Damn fine looking hounds in those picks. Looks like some plott’s and walker for sure. Damn I miss my pack of hounds.
Posted By: hendricks Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
Pretty cool. Pretty interesting the use of hounds. I wonder how many they turned loose on them. Seems like it could be a risky proposition in some cases.
Posted By: SKane Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21

laugh

laugh
Posted By: kingston Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
The wolf population must be gigantic for them to shoot that many on such short notice, in such a short season and with little to no ramp up. It's not like there were seasons in the previous few years and these guys just had to pull their gear out of the attic.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
There is some Large Beast's in those photo's...

Wow.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by kingston
The wolf population must be gigantic for them to shoot that many on such short notice, in such a short season and with little to no ramp up. It's not like there were seasons in the previous few years and these guys just had to pull their gear out of the attic.

Wolf gear, Like what?
Wisconsin had three previous Wolf hunts - 2012-2013, 2013-2014, and 2014-2015 before the anti's shut things down. Going into the Feb. 2021 hunt the DNR estimated 1,195 wolves in the state which is a little suspect. Most likely you could double that.

Not to amazing one only has to consider how pissed off Ws deer h unters are about their deer herd being decimated by wolves and a bunch of wolf huggers that don't have a god damn clue about predator management nor do they want any. The whole point of Wolf reintroduction is to eliminate big game hunting same type.point the anti lead people been pushing for years get rid of lead , ammo gets to expensive to shoot and people quit shooting
The left has been chewing on us a long time. I am glad those successful wolf hunters didn't report their kills to the last minute so the take went way over the inadequate quota. Mb
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/10/21
They didn't have a bounty on wolves all those
years just for the hell of it.

Hopefully, there's twice as many that did the
old SSS so as to rid their area of that furry plague
Posted By: kingston Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Wolf gear, Like what?

Exactly.

It's not like you can just dust of the Model 12 and restring the decoys.
Posted By: kingston Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/10/21
Wisconsin had three previous Wolf hunts - 2012-2013, 2013-2014, and 2014-2015 before the anti's shut things down. Going into the Feb. 2021 hunt the DNR estimated 1,195 wolves in the state which is a little suspect. Most likely you could double that.

After five years with no season, the guys with hounds must have been chomping at the bit.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/10/21
After all the hunting dogs that have been killed in Wisconsin over the years... it's good to see some pay back....

We have a ways to go yet....
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/10/21

After five years with no season, the guys with hounds must have been chomping at the bit.

They just have been practicing on the down low LOL

IIRC, the last time there was a season, the trappers got most of them. Good to see the hound hunters do so well
Posted By: johnw Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by Kenneth
There is some Large Beast's in those photo's...

Wow.

Think I saw the bad boy in that first pic up the hill behind Ino Bar one night a while back...
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/11/21
Who was the wolf expert we had BrentD ?

Roundoak,
What else do they use hounds for in Wisconsin?

My concern for the hounds are if the hounds are turned out on a pack of wolves, the wolves split up and the hounds split up too. 3-4 hounds can easily take care of a black bear, I suspect 3-4 hounds on a wolf is fine, but I would hate to see 1 on 1 or 3 on 3.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/11/21
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Roundoak,

My concern for the hounds are if the hounds are turned out on a pack of wolves, the wolves split up and the hounds split up too. 3-4 hounds can easily take care of a black bear, I suspect 3-4 hounds on a wolf is fine, but I would hate to see 1 on 1 or 3 on 3.

Bear, Bobcat, Coyotes, Coon and a occasional Mountain Lion. My neighbor and others I have talked to with experience with hounds on wolves, say that they seek out a single track.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Roundoak,

Bear, Bobcat, Coyotes, Coon and a occasional Mountain Lion. My neighbor and others I have talked to with experience with hounds on wolves, say that they seek out a single track.

I thought bear hunting was still on the menu in Wisconsin. Good to know they're allowed to run coyotes with hounds. And I was wondering if they would avoid packs. Regardless, if I was going to run hounds after wolves those new flak jackets for hunting dogs they use in Europe to protect their moose dog from wolves could be a good investment.
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/11/21
super awesome!!!!!!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/13/21

Wow.....
Sounds like you need a few more weeks of shooting them things.......
Posted By: Takman Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/13/21
I’ll say some of those are big beasts!
Great Job!
Posted By: Clynn Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/13/21
Good lord ! They are huge ! Way to go ! 👍
Posted By: pete53 Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/13/21
i would think if over 200 wolves are killed in a couple days Wisconsin has a serious wolf population problem ? probably should have killed 500 wolves ? i think someone is not telling the truth on the real wolf population in Wisconsin ? living in Minnesota us hunters know the DNR management team here in Minnesota has lied about the Wolf population for years ,we know the wolf population in Minnesota is out of control too. > nice to see all the pictures of dead wolves, most sure have nice hides too ! good shooting guys ! Pete53
Posted By: Texczech Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/13/21

[/quote]
That is the prettiest one to me. Are those Plott hounds?
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/13/21
All big wooly basterds. A whitetail deer wouldn't have a prayer if a group of those got ahold of it.
Posted By: msalm Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/13/21
It is funny (and sad) that the local news articles I read at the close of the hunt just parroted the same spiel that WI hunters killed way too many over their quota and were responsible for killing almost 1/4 of our population. That would be so impressive if in all of THREE days 1/4 of our population of wolves were killed.... pretty obvious there are a hell of a lot more than 1000 ish wolves in this state. During the last hunt a friend of a friend and his buddy set 17 sets on a 700 acre tract of private property trying to fill two tags. On the first trap night they caught NINE. Had to release 7!
Posted By: 160user Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/13/21
We had a season on them here for a couple of years.

Posted By: las Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/14/21
How many breeding pairs left? At an average of 4-6 pups a litter, in another month or so, your wolf pop will have again doubled, negating that miserable harvest. Nice healthy looking BIG wolves there. Pelts look good from here.

Any problems with lice, like we have in SC Alaska?
What las said x10. Only an anti would think they hurt the population. I would vote to leave it open year around and revisit it in 20 years and they will still have a lot of wolves then. It was a different world when we eliminated them years ago and would be hard to do again.
Some cool pics, you wolfy cheeseheads! Hopefully, I get to hunt some wolf some day!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/14/21
Originally Posted by las
How many breeding pairs left? At an average of 4-6 pups a litter, in another month or so, your wolf pop will have again doubled, negating that miserable harvest. Nice healthy looking BIG wolves there. Pelts look good from here.

Have not heard about lice among the wolves taken, but in the three seasons that started in November, there were comments about wood and deer ticks.
Posted By: ribka Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/14/21
Originally Posted by las

yep, its a shame cant keep open year round, allow trapping too.

It's pretty clear the WI DNR has been outright lying about the wolf population for years. A fair chunk of wolf territory deer hunters will SSS a wolf on sight, and I always assumed the DNR thought lying about the population might discourage poaching a little. The number harvested in a couple days pretty much proves the point, but I'm guessing DNR will stick to their "estimates."
Posted By: las Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/14/21
Originally Posted by msalm
It is funny (and sad) that the local news articles I read at the close of the hunt just parroted the same spiel that WI hunters killed way too many over their quota and were responsible for killing almost 1/4 of our population. That would be so impressive if in all of THREE days 1/4 of our population of wolves were killed.... pretty obvious there are a hell of a lot more than 1000 ish wolves in this state. During the last hunt a friend of a friend and his buddy set 17 sets on a 700 acre tract of private property trying to fill two tags. On the first trap night they caught NINE. Had to release 7!

It's all in how they were "released"....... smile
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Who was the wolf expert we had BrentD ?

He's the resident wolf expert at HuntTalk.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/15/21

laugh

Number could have doubled or tripled had the season run its full course. But we're told that wolf numbers aren't that high by the WI DNR (Do Nothing Right or Damn Near Ridiculous).

In the long run, while 216 wolves were harvested, that's actually pretty close to the full quota. We knew from the git-go that the 80 some quota that the Indians were awarded (part of the total 216) would go untouched.
Posted By: okie john Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/15/21
Just out of curiosity, what do you guy consider a good wolf rifle?

Okie John
Posted By: VernAK Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

a good deer rifle usually makes a good wolf rifle.

I like the 6mm stuff.......22-250 type rifles will work especially with larger or harder bullets.
Posted By: okie john Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by VernAK

Okie John

a good deer rifle usually makes a good wolf rifle.

I like the 6mm stuff.......22-250 type rifles will work especially with larger or harder bullets.

Thanks.

Okie John
What was the quota?

Any wrights on those woofs?

IIRC, 25% can be removed from the population annually, and the population will remain stable.

So like las said, nice work, but long term, a drop in the bucket.

The news stories lamenting the “overharvest” simply have no idea of biology.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 03/16/21
As LAS said, this wolf harvest will have little if any impact on wolf populations.

ADFG figures that 40% of wolves die every year and most wolf deaths are caused by other wolves.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Good Wolves in Wisconsin - 04/22/21
You guys are off to a good start, many more to go.

Okie John

not in wisconsin, but here anything you have in your hand is a good wolf rifle. know of several woofs done in with a rossi pump 22wmr.
© 24hourcampfire