Home
Posted By: Teeder Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/10/21
My son is graduating from Penn State this spring. We thought he would be reporting to flight school for the Army in the summer, but we just found out he doesn't have to go until the end of Jan 2022!
So, we started thinking about going on a hunt this fall and are looking for suggestions of where to go and what to go after.
I really want to go back to Newfoundland after moose, but I doubt that can happen with the border crossing issues.
Are there any opportunities for moose out west with no preference points?

My assumption is the only real chance at a short notice big game hunt would probably be elk in Colorado, correct?
Posted By: wytex Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/10/21
Wyoming has not had their draw for deer or pronghorn yet, some Region deer tags can be drawn with 0 PP.
Posted By: RL Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by Teeder
My son is graduating from Penn State this spring. We thought he would be reporting to flight school for the Army in the summer, but we just found out he doesn't have to go until the end of Jan 2022!
So, we started thinking about going on a hunt this fall and are looking for suggestions of where to go and what to go after.
I really want to go back to Newfoundland after moose, but I doubt that can happen with the border crossing issues.

My assumption is the only real chance at a short notice big game hunt would probably be elk in Colorado, correct?

First, congratulations to you and your son on his graduation from college and future in the Army. In most cases, it takes you, mom, and son working and sacrificing to successfully accomplish that achievement.

Last minute hunts are certainly doable; of course depending on what you are wanting to experience. Not much experience with elk hunting - gone 3 times w/ one small 5X5 taken in those trips but each one was a great time. I can speak for whitetail deer hunting in Texas though. There are many opportunities including some outfitters on this forum that will give you a good hunt. Yep, some of those hunts are high fence but when you are talking about 10K plus acres...well that is another type discussion.

It really depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. If you want to talk to someone about South Texas, shoot me a PM.
Posted By: wytex Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/10/21
Lots of interesting hunts in Texas, look into those as well.

RL, I was born and raised in Grapevine, well born in Ft Worth, no hospital in Grapevine back then.
Posted By: RL Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by wytex
Lots of interesting hunts in Texas, look into those as well.

RL, I was born and raised in Grapevine, well born in Ft Worth, no hospital in Grapevine back then.

You are a long way from "home". I have lived in the area over 50 years - used to complain about being the second vehicle at one of two stop lights downtown. Now just hope I can get make a couple of them before they turn red. We do have a hospital now.... 👌👌👌
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/10/21
Many Canadian outfitters are hurting. Some have even started selling their hunts to Canadians in Canadian dollars which would save us 30-35% if I could go. I wouldn't count on the border being open this year.
Posted By: pointer Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/11/21
Moose might be able to be had in UT if you can find a CWMU ranch not booked and finding a ranch with two tags might be tough. It won't be cheap...
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/11/21
Over the counter non-resident Elk Tags are still available in Idaho. Washington and Oregon application periods are not open yet. I believe second chance elk tags are also available in Wyoming, around the middle of May
Posted By: Teeder Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/11/21
Thanks everyone.
Posted By: rufous Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/14/21
Have you considered a black bear hunt? If not you should.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/14/21
Texas Aoudad
Yes, there are options.
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/14/21
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Texas Aoudad

Great idea!
Posted By: WAM Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/14/21
There is time for applications for Colorado deer and elk. Deadline is April 6.
Posted By: Takman Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/14/21
We are......
Posted By: Teeder Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by rufous
Have you considered a black bear hunt? If not you should.

I'd be up for a spot & stalk for BB's somewhere.
Suggestions?
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Yes, there are options.

Thanks for all the help.
Originally Posted by Takman
We are......

?
Originally Posted by WAM
There is time for applications for Colorado deer and elk. Deadline is April 6.

This is most likely what we will do, but I'm trying to work out where to go and who with.
Posted By: Takman Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/15/21
Sorry Teeder. I couldn’t resist the We are.....Penn State! Congratulations to him and you!
Originally Posted by Teeder

Congratulations on getting a kid through college and into the military. That's a BIG accomplishment for both of you.

Elk, bear, and deer tags are available over the counter in Washington but success rates are low, especially on the west side. Mountain goats are draw only. Moose and sheep are draw only and limited to one in your lifetime. So yeah, you could come hunt here but I'd look at all of the other states in the desert and mountain west first. I would also not overlook the Great Plains, the Dakotas, and the Midwest--plenty of monster deer out there if you know where to look.

Where to hunt is only part of it. Then there's the question of how. Trying to do something self-guided without a lot of research is great way to buy yourself a very expensive campout/nature walk, especially if you haven't hunted these species before. Guides can help but a lot of them are booked into 2022 and beyond. Some of those bookings fall through at the last minute and they offer those hunts at a discount to people on their mailing lists. I'd do a Google search for every species you might want to hunt, see who's guiding, and get on a bunch of mailing lists. Then I'd zero a 30-06 at 200 yards with 180-grain Partitions and keep my gear ready to go.

There are also plenty of places to hunt hogs and exotics in Texas if it comes to that. Some of those outfitters offer very challenging hunts.

Okie John
Originally Posted by Takman
Sorry Teeder. I couldn’t resist the We are.....Penn State! Congratulations to him and you!

Ha! I can't believe I missed that!
teeder, pm me if ur keen. you bought that 223 montana off me yeah?

i got plenty of spots around here. heck you guys can come crash the pad if ya want.

what time frame ya thinking?

that'll dictate a lot on what you can and can't do.
straight away tho, i'd recommend a kodiak boat based sitka hunt if one of the hunts we talk about don't work

i'm pissed my dad and 4 brothers didn't come up and do a hunt when i was running a boat.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Short Notice Hunt for 2021 - 03/21/21
Pm sent!
© 24hourcampfire