Posted By: Gibby Re: Long shot - 07/06/21
Heads up!

...and it's cold outside.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Long shot - 07/06/21
Look at the G7 BC on that thing!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Long shot - 07/07/21
BC just doesn’t matter when you’ve that kind of velocity 😮
Posted By: smokepole Re: Long shot - 07/07/21
Terminal velocity of a meteorite is actually slow compared to a bullet. But who needs velocity when you have that kind of mass?
Posted By: WAM Re: Long shot - 07/09/21
The Sutters Mill asteroid/meteorite in 2012 was tracked by scientists at 64,000 mph according to a Scientific American article. That’s cooking right along.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Long shot - 07/09/21
Originally Posted by WAM
The Sutters Mill asteroid/meteorite in 2012 was tracked by scientists at 64,000 mph according to a Scientific American article. That’s cooking right along.
In space that's likely true. When it hits air resistance, though, friction kicks in and terminal velocity is a bit lower, somewhere between 200 and 400 mph.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Long shot - 07/09/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
]In space that's likely true. When it hits air resistance, though, friction kicks in and terminal velocity is a bit lower, somewhere between 200 and 400 mph.

That's not right. From what I've been reading, asteroids/meteors it the earth's surface at speeds between 10 and 20 miles per SECOND, so multiple that by 3600 to get miles per hour .. not by 60 which would give you miles per minute. Using those numbers jibes with WAM's citation .. 10-20 miles per second would be 36,000 to 72,000 miles per hour.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Long shot - 07/09/21
Originally Posted by T_O_M
]In space that's likely true. When it hits air resistance, though, friction kicks in and terminal velocity is a bit lower, somewhere between 200 and 400 mph.

That's not right. From what I've been reading, asteroids/meteors it the earth's surface at speeds between 10 and 20 miles per SECOND, so multiple that by 3600 to get miles per hour .. not by 60 which would give you miles per minute. Using those numbers jibes with WAM's citation .. 10-20 miles per second would be 36,000 to 72,000 miles per hour.
You're right. The website I looked at assumed the meteor had lost all of it's momentum and was just falling like it had been dropped from a plane.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Long shot - 07/10/21
Guess on my part but the rock that made this hole was moving right along. Probably faster than a Creed

[Linked Image from postmasburg.co.za]
Posted By: GRF Re: Long shot - 07/10/21
Dan; that is awesome, thanks so much for sharing that
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Long shot - 07/10/21
Don’t forget that little number that creamed Siberia in 1908.
Posted By: greydog Re: Long shot - 07/10/21
We visited the meteor crater two years ago and it is an awesome sight. The other memorable aspect of the visit was that the wind was gusting close to 90 mph! We had to hold on tight to the railing on the catwalk and hiking the rim was out of the question. Our granddaughter loved the museum. A visit to the Very Large Array was another high point of that trip. Some neat stuff in the southwest. GD
Posted By: LouisB Re: Long shot - 07/11/21
It was dang lucky strike too.
Look how close it came to hitting the visitors center!
Posted By: rodeojoe Re: Long shot - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by T_O_M

My calculator is broken.
What would fps calculate to?
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Long shot - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Guess on my part but the rock that made this hole was moving right along. Probably faster than a Creed

[Linked Image from postmasburg.co.za]

And look at just how close it hit to that building and parking lot. Talk about a close one.
Posted By: johnw Re: Long shot - 08/10/21
The chelyabinsk rock was 66 feet long and traveling at >58,000 FPS. It's explosion in the atmosphere injured over 1,000 on the ground who were nowhere near the impact point of it's pieces.

But Tunguska...
There was a meteor to admire. From very far away...
© 24hourcampfire