Home
Posted By: Goat Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
A strange request I know!
A few years ago I was at a range and noticed a piece of grey plastic by the trash barrel. I was going to put in the drum but when I saw what it was I had to have a second look. It was a cartridge carrier from a box of Nosler factory ammunition. It's just a 5 round plastic carrier, grey in color, with Nosler written on a tab that stuck up from behind the rear of the cartridge bases. What I like about it is that the cartridges lock into it but are still fairly easy to remove with one hand. Because they lock into place they can NOT fall out and rattle in your pocket. I suppose that I still have a bit of boy scout in me and want to be prepared;so I carry a few more rounds than I should ever need.
Again, it is a 5 round plastic carrier from a box of Nosler factory ammunition. The individual cartridges lock in place and will only come out intentionally. It's grey in color and has Nosler written on the part that covers the bullet in the front. I contacted Nosler but discovered that they now use a 10 round flimsy plastic, generic holder just to keep them in the box. I would love to get a few more in both short and long action length. Presently I don't need any for magnum cartridges but that could change...
HELP me PLEASE!!!
Thanks for taking time to read this and help me locate these little gems. I will try to post a pic below.
Posted By: jwall Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
Morning Goat
I don't have what you're asking for/about BUT I have a carrier that I LIKE and have used a number of years.

Uncle Mike's Sidekick

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I usually carry it in my Coat Pocket instead of on a belt but that's an option.

Yes, it's a 10 rounder but you don't have to put all in it.
Those are 6mm Rem rounds and it will hold L A rounds. The holders are elastic so they will hold Mag cases too.

Now, I have some Federal RED ammo carriers (10) ct. but I don't use them. The ammo is exposed to dust, grit, whatever.
I like U M's because the rounds stay cleaner.

I know the above is not what you asked for but it's as close as I have and I like mine.

Good Luck

Jerry
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
Goat,
To Me, it's not a strange request at all!
I think it's crazy when hunters, shooters, don't have their ammo secure!
Especially Hunting, when being quiet is important pursuing game!

jwall, has some great suggestions, with his ammo carriers!
Uncle mike's, make's some great products!

I personally think, there's no one correct choice, as it's a personal thing, varying on your own style of hunting!
I like my ammo accessible, and my back up ammo, not far, depending on weather, and layered clothing!
Federal, made the same red plastic 10 rd. carriers, that would loop through your belt!
I used them a lot on our Rifle Hunts in P.A., generally, within a mile from hunt camp.
I hunted with, a .308 cal. rifle, a .375 cal. brush gun....etc......

Always had those holders!
Posted By: CRS Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
It is a personal choice.

I bought a cloth/canvas one from cabelas a long time ago that uses a magnetic latch. Unfortunately it is wearing out and I have not been able to find a replacement

Velcro carriers are too loud for my tastes.

I also use buttstock ammo carriers if I need a higher comb on the rifle. I like them because with a full magazine and full buttstock I am good to go all day. If I can not get my critter with that many rounds, I should go home anyway. crazy

Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by CRS
It is a personal choice.

I bought a cloth/canvas one from cabelas a long time ago that uses a magnetic latch. Unfortunately it is wearing out and I have not been able to find a replacement

I also use buttstock ammo carriers if I need a higher comb on the rifle. I like them because with a full magazine and full buttstock I am good to go all day. If I can not get my critter with that many rounds, I should go home anyway. crazy

I agree!
I do love the Butt stock Rifle cartridge elastic holder!
Learned the Hard Way yrs. ago, not to leave it in the gun, when not using it!
Marlin, .375, Walnut Stock!
Caught it just in time!
Yeah, Velcro can be noisy, and doesn't work good when it ages!
Great comments!
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
I use the plastic cartridge carriers from ammo boxes, typically from Federal ammunition. I carry them in my pocket, on my belt or on the strap of my hunting pack situation dependant. They have served me well, I also have one of the leather carriers that I use on occasion
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by jwall
Morning Goat
I don't have what you're asking for/about BUT I have a carrier that I LIKE and have used a number of years.

Uncle Mike's Sidekick

I usually carry it in my Coat Pocket instead of on a belt but that's an option.

Yes, it's a 10 rounder but you don't have to put all in it.
Those are 6mm Rem rounds and it will hold L A rounds. The holders are elastic so they will hold Mag cases too.

Now, I have some Federal RED ammo carriers (10) ct. but I don't use them. The ammo is exposed to dust, grit, whatever.
I like U M's because the rounds stay cleaner.

I know the above is not what you asked for but it's as close as I have and I like mine.

Good Luck

Jerry

I used the same case, and the same cartridge, love it. No muss no fuss! 😀😀
Yes Sir,

I don't open it TILL I need another round --> after killing, SO the velcro noise is a NON issue.

Jerry
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
I have been using those Uncle Mikes 10 rounders for a long time. They work, are cheap, and last forever.

For those who need fast access to backup rounds in the heat of the moment, like with a single shot, A leather wrist band that holds three cartridges is something to consider also.
Originally Posted by CRS

A sincere question.
How many times do you open and close one
while hunting?

Jerry
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
ColeTac makes a nice one.

I used it last season. Really like it. Well made. Made in USA.
https://www.cole-tac.com/product/hunter-ammo-wallet/

IMO the orange is more red than orange. Serves the purpose either way.
Posted By: CRS Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by CRS

A sincere question.
while hunting?

Jerry

Quiet is important to me. 37 years of bowhunting, it is ingrained into my psyche.

I have never had a velcro carrier screw anything up that I know of, but there is always a first.
I am the guy that goes through hunting apparel with my fingernails to test loudness of scraping. ie simulate branches, brush etc.
I am the guy who has a pair of oversize socks to slip over boots while stalking.
I am the guy who lubricates ground blind chairs and covers the synthetic materials with fleece or wool.

The velcro noise may be a non issue to some, but my preference is quiet, when given the choice.

I do not like open belt carriers either, as I have had cartridges slide , change position and even fall out.

Posted By: gene270 Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
i think i have seen the one you are referring to and got mine in a norma 20 count box of ammo...never seen them sold by themselves
Posted By: Gojoe Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by CRS
It is a personal choice.

And if you are reloading, I'll assume the element of surprise is no longer.

Posted By: navlav8r Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
That’s what I carry too. My thoughts are that if I just fired four or five shots and I need to reload, a little velcro riiiiiip isn’t going to spook anything. 😊
Posted By: Deans Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/04/21
Take a look at this

https://triadtactical.com/triad-modular-stock-pack

https://triadtactical.com/triad-modular-accessory-strip/
Posted By: CRS Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21

Have a couple of those.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
ColeTac makes a nice one.

I used it last season. Really like it. Well made. Made in USA.
https://www.cole-tac.com/product/hunter-ammo-wallet/

IMO the orange is more red than orange. Serves the purpose either way.

I got three of these. I like them. I plan to add a few more this year for different calibers.
Posted By: devnull Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
Tourbon ammo wallets are pretty nice:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tourbon+ammo+wallet&crid=32FOSILY8SCPD&sprefix=tourbon+ammo+%2Caps%2C231&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_13
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
Originally Posted by devnull
Tourbon ammo wallets are pretty nice:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tourbon+ammo+wallet&crid=32FOSILY8SCPD&sprefix=tourbon+ammo+%2Caps%2C231&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_13

My wife gave me one of those a couple yrs ago. Instead of the elastic loops holding the cases, it has leather holders that were way too tight for either the 7x57 or 30-06. I never used it.
Posted By: Deans Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
Also have a few of these. Great to throw in the backpack or in hard side gun case.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939410668
Posted By: elkcountry Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
I use the smallest Leatherman nylon pouch for extra rounds on my belt. It holds 3 std. cartridges perfectly and is relatively compact with a snap closure.

I also use the Butler creek sling with shell loops, but only use the bottom 2. That's five rounds I can get to quickly if needed.

https://www.leatherman.com/nylon-sheath-548.html

I also use the 10 round plastic cartridge holders that come in the federal factory boxes in a plastic baggie in my pack.

I sometimes hike way back and don't want to have to go all the way back to the truck if something happens.

Elk Country
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
Originally Posted by CRS

A sincere question.
while hunting?

Jerry

If you need to reload from one of these, chances are the game in the area is already aware of your presence.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
Originally Posted by Goat
A few years ago I was at a range and noticed a piece of grey plastic by the trash barrel. I was going to put in the drum but when I saw what it was I had to have a second look. It was a cartridge carrier from a box of Nosler factory ammunition. It's just a 5 round plastic carrier, grey in color, with Nosler written on a tab that stuck up from behind the rear of the cartridge bases. What I like about it is that the cartridges lock into it but are still fairly easy to remove with one hand. Because they lock into place they can NOT fall out and rattle in your pocket. I suppose that I still have a bit of boy scout in me and want to be prepared;so I carry a few more rounds than I should ever need.
Again, it is a 5 round plastic carrier from a box of Nosler factory ammunition. The individual cartridges lock in place and will only come out intentionally. It's grey in color and has Nosler written on the part that covers the bullet in the front. I contacted Nosler but discovered that they now use a 10 round flimsy plastic, generic holder just to keep them in the box. I would love to get a few more in both short and long action length. Presently I don't need any for magnum cartridges but that could change...
HELP me PLEASE!!!
Thanks for taking time to read this and help me locate these little gems. I will try to post a pic below.

Goat, if you have a Norma dealer near you, go check a box of their ammo. I bought a box about a year or two ago and it had what sounds exactly what you're talking about. If it wasn't such a pain in the ass, I'd post up a photo. They were 2 ten round carriers that I snapped in half to make 5 rounders. Cartridges locked into place, yet were easy to remove. Also, the tips were covered for added protection. I keep one in my coat, one in my pants and one in my pack. Too bad my Roberts didn't like the ammo much....
Posted By: Puddle Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Originally Posted by Goat
HELP me PLEASE!!!

Goat, if you have a Norma dealer near you, go check a box of their ammo. I bought a box about a year or two ago and it had what sounds exactly what you're talking about. If it wasn't such a pain in the ass, I'd post up a photo. They were 2 ten round carriers that I snapped in half to make 5 rounders. Cartridges locked into place, yet were easy to remove. Also, the tips were covered for added protection. I keep one in my coat, one in my pants and one in my pack. Too bad my Roberts didn't like the ammo much....

+1. Works good. Dog simple.
Posted By: CAelknuts Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
If you’re looking for quality, Murray Custom Leather carriers are hard to beat. Mine are leather, with heavy industrial grade elastic cartridge loops inside. I have the C3 models, 7 cartridge capacity. They have a leather flap over the top to make sure nothing falls out. Best shell carriers I’ve seen so far. Totally quiet.
Posted By: jwall Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/05/21
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
[quote=CRS]

A sincere question.
while hunting?

Jerry

If you need to reload from one of these, chances are the game in the area is already aware of your presence.
----------------------------------------------

AND if you need to reload from anything it's the same.

Jerry
Posted By: roundoak Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/06/21
Can't help out with locating what you are looking for, just post up what has been working for me.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/06/21
Pockets...
Posted By: Teal Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/13/21
I load the rifle. Spare 2-3 rounds in a chest pocket.

I might carry some in a reloading box/container in an old waterfowl blind bag at my feet.

I've never, ever, had to go deeper into my stash than the rounds aboard the rifle tho. I could likely leave the rest home.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Cartridge carrier - 08/13/21
These are pretty handy.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015182311?pid=465849
Posted By: blammer Re: Cartridge carrier - 09/12/21
I just use the factory box of 20.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Cartridge carrier - 09/13/21
tag
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Cartridge carrier - 09/13/21
There's the $2 solution - wrap a handful of cartridges in a bandana and stick it in your pocket, and there's the $90 solution - a fancy leather custom made carrier that doesn't do anything more than the bandana but it's prettier. I lean toward the former.

$2 from Wally's
[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

$90 from Midway
[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Cartridge carrier - 09/13/21
Another handy way of carrying some extra rounds in a way such that they don't rattle in your pocket is to use a stripper clip. Any cartridge of the same headsize as .30/06, .308 etc will slide into a standard Mauser stripper clip, while a good range of the rimmed ones, such as 7x57R, 9.3x74R and of course .303 go nicely in a .303 Lee Enfield clip ("charger" for the purists). A filled clip sits neatly in a shirt pocket.

Mind you, I'm rather a fan of the elastic butt cuffs - very handy and fast to get to when you want to grab some extra rounds right now - much faster than going to a belt pouch or pocket. I find them especially handy on my double rifle, single shot etc.

There's also the MTM belt boxes, which aren't quite as fast to access but hold more rounds, and protect them better. One thing I've found works well with these is to roll up a bit of toilet paper and wedge it into the lid - you want enough so that it takes a bit of force to shut the box on the rounds. That way they don't rattle.

I would never keep rounds in leather.
© 24hourcampfire