Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr Mid October Antelope - 09/14/21
What can I expect on a mid October Antelope hunt in Wyoming? Private land, 023. Never been before.

Rut will be completely over, right? Will bucks be grouped up? What about weather? Thanks.
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/15/21
The bucks will most likely still be with the does.
The weather can be anything from 60's and sunny to 0 and almost blizzard conditions. Be prepared for either.
Posted By: ENorton Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/15/21
What Ranch13 said plus depending on weather snakes could still be out.
Posted By: Reba Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/15/21
best time to hunt goats
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/15/21
Sakoluvr: The rut will indeed be winding down and near done by then.
I would still take an Antelope call with you - it very often will stop an exiting Buck Antelope for a stand still last look back at you or the area the call came from.
It may be "hot" there in Wyoming in mid-October and I always carried at least one block of ice to stuff into the Antelopes chest cavity to cool them out til they can be skinned and hung up.
Care for the Antelope meat as quickly as possible it will enhance the taste.
Try to Hunt with the rising sun at your back in the mornings and the setting sun at your back in the evenings - makes spotting the Antelope MUCH easier and harder for them to spot you.
Be prepared to stay afield ALL day right up until sunset (have food and water with you etc) the Antelope are out "there" around the clock and you can Hunt all the daylight hours with a chance of success on your approaches.
Best of luck - I love Wyoming.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 5spd Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/16/21
All my goats are off z34, 38 from opening day to late Oct.
They are always out and about, bucks still with does in small to big groups.
Single bucks can be any where mid day snoozing on hill sides, in drainage etc. They can still be hoarding does as well.
I've taken them mostly by 9am, have guided others and shot them all hours of the day to late evenings.
Plug your nose and bleat like a fawn usually stops the moving ones, just be ready yo shoot very quickly or lay and wait.
Water all over so no single spot attracts them, others do like cattle tanks.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/16/21
Always hunt public land (BLM) in Wyoming for pronghorn. In mid October it all depends on hunting pressure from Sept up through mid October. On private land pressure may be somewhat mitigated. But previous hunting pressure does make a difference in closing distances and on pronghorn behavior later in the season after being pursued. Antelope are still seen in 20-30 groupings, if not in greater numbers. The dominant herd buck will still be with his harem. Stalking in late season can be a challenge based on skittish behavior. Having exceptional eyesight and incredible speed they can keep you at bay at 600-800 yards quite easily. So the trick is not to be spotted. In most cases all there is is flat land and blue sky all around so staying low is a given and in many cases you will be crawling on your hands and knees to close distances. Most shots I have taken have been off of a Harris BiPod in prone or sitting position. Over time I have settled on using a 7mm Rem Mag with 140 gr Ballistic Tips for velocity and range capability. Shots I’ve made were from 250 yds - 425 yds. Last one was 305 yds. Weather is typically on the warmer side still, but expect anything. Like was stated previously, they are out and about from sunrise to sunset. Best of luck.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/16/21
Thanks all
Posted By: 1minute Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/16/21
Pelts should be entering winter form and have the best appearance of the entire year. Should make a beautiful mount.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/17/21
Any suggestions for knee pads?
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/17/21
Private? Drive out and pick the one you want and blast it. Doubt you'll require knee pads.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/17/21
Army surplus knee pads. Don't leave home without them.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/17/21
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Any suggestions for knee pads?

Ask the Laughing Hyena Harris what brand she recommends. She spent a lot of her time on her knees climbing the career improvement ladder. She coached Monica Lewinski.
Posted By: Switch Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/17/21
I've hunted Antelope in most of the western states. In Nevada the season is in mid to late August, unlike other states that start their hunt in mid October.IMHO the meat is MUCH better when the animal is taken before the rut. I have killed Antelope in Wyoming during their late season an were almost uneatable. The same hold true with Mule deer, Archery and muzzle loader bucks killed in Nevada in late August and early September are much better table fare than bucks killed during or after the rut. Early muzzle loader bucks I've taken usually have 3/4" of fat on their backs, were as December buck are VERY lean and the meat is very dark and not the good on the table.I know I'll hear advice on field care of animals, but bebieve me I know how ti take care of the animals I kill.
Posted By: Vmaxed Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/17/21
One thing you should count on regardless of the temps, is the wind. I can tell you that here in central WY this Sept. has been more windy than normal which means it ain't going away in October. This was the first week of Oct. last year on my sons first antelope hunt. It can be difficult to contend with.

...and just curious, where at in 23?

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/17/21
Yup, and I will be the first to admit that I lack windage skills. I shoot out to 550 yards BUT the wind is never over 10 mph, if that.
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/17/21
distance is just elevation and target size.

good ammo, good zero, good DOPE, good fundamentals and bullets should be flush with waterline +- .1 mils

no idea where you are hunting exactly but 23 has more antelope then anywhere

remember that mob of animals has 8x bino vision that's 270 degrees. they will see you from a long ways away. especially if they've been shot at.

most times people will come downwind but they've got that covered. favorite stalking wind is 15degrees away from upwind.

stay low, keep the shooting theatrics minimal and not skylined.

don't rely on your eyes alone. bedded antelope in the sage can be very hard to spot at times.

enjoy it, make a good kill and get the meat off the carcass as quick as you can. antelope run about 102f body temps.

i love me antelope meat!
It could be 20 or 75 for a high. Snow or dry. When its wet in 23 its a clay gumbo. Fills up the tread in your tires and then you lose traction in the hills. My house actually sits in unit 23. I would advise you that the animals will likely be pretty spooky. Either from hunting on the ranch your on, or adjacent ranches. I'll explain. If little pressure on your ranch then the antelope from surrounding areas will tend to move in Then those that have been shot at a bit will take off at first sight of you or your truck and take the "local" less hunted ones with them. That's per a local rancher I know. I have also seen the same.
Be prepared with ice and water. Your after the rut and any mature buck will be stinky. Good care and he can still be eaten. Cooled and hide off ASAP will be important. Yes its been a windy year. You'll likely find it calmer early and late. First and last light antelope seem to be less spooky. Don't know why, just something I have noticed. The later it gets in the season the more likely you will be to find bigger herds. More eyes means harder to stalk.
If it snows a good amount before you come it will herd the antelope up. Instinctive behavior for protection against predators. Takes several inches and several days on the ground but, its something to be aware of. Good luck.
Bruce
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Mid October Antelope - 09/18/21
...and just curious, where at in 23?

Have no idea! LOL Going with an outfitter
© 24hourcampfire