Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr Tip$ for a guided hunt - 09/21/21
Hunt is based out of a lodge, so staff tips will be separate.

Is 10% + of the cost of the hunt appropriate?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 09/21/21
depending on service yes give or take
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 09/21/21
I've seen this come up a few times and thought 15% of the hunt cost was the norm. Most of it goes to the guide but anyone that provides a significant service like a cook or wrangler should get a share as well.
Posted By: hanco Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 09/21/21
We always tipped the guide and the cook.
Since it's out of a lodge, I tip the guide 10-15% depending on the job he did. Lodge staff tips are separate.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Since it's out of a lodge, I tip the guide 10-15% depending on the job he did. Lodge staff tips are separate.

What if the hunt is 3 days and ends the first day with a harvest. Guide gets the same amount of tip for 1 day as 3 days?
Posted By: SKane Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

What if the hunt is 3 days and ends the first day with a harvest. Guide gets the same amount of tip for 1 day as 3 days?

If you're fortunate enough to make meat the first day, I sure as heck would.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/01/21
We just got 2 moose in Newfoundland. I tipped our guide 10% and a quarter off one of the moose.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by SKane

Yep, that's what I am planning to do. Thinking I may just tip him the first day for the entire hunt.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/02/21
Yes. All dependent on service and effort. I tipped fairly heavily a couple years back when it took us 11 days to score a good bull on what was to be a 6-day hunt.
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/03/21
Two questions:

How much do you tip when your guide is the outfitter who collects all of your money?

How much do you tip on a southern whitetail (stand) hunt when your "guide" only drives you to the stand and picks you up?

These questions come up all the time when you're in camp.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
Two questions:

How much do you tip when your guide is the outfitter who collects all of your money?

How much do you tip on a southern whitetail (stand) hunt when your "guide" only drives you to the stand and picks you up?

Agreed this question comes up at the time. Simply put it’s no different than a good meal. 15% is the average. Start there and evaluate your experience.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/03/21

Yep, that's what I am planning to do. Thinking I may just tip him the first day for the entire hunt.

dont do that.......what if he is an lazy...arrogant etc jackass....make him work for it....bob
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/03/21
I hunted bear in Canada a few years back and spent time talking to a very wealthy hunter who just loved bear hunting. He showed me pictures of his brown bears, polar bears and grizzly's so he wasn't full of crap. When the question of tipping came up he said that you never tip the outfitter even if he guides you. This guy made a point of NOT tipping his guide/outfitter even though he was well to do. That's why I asked in my post above.

I have received decidedly poor service from guides on occasion. I feel obligated to tip them even when I know they don't deserve it. It like eating in a restaurant, you always tip even when service is slow or substandard.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/04/21
Why do people feel the need to tip a crappy waitress.
Food speed and quality aren't her lane, but crappy service is.

The whole tipping thing is supposed to drive a waitress to do a good
job. But this tipping thing has gone nuts.

People trying to be the big tipper.
Trying to fele like a big philanthropist. (Ain't I just a great guy)

I've had servers that weren't worth the $3/hr their boss paid.
Didn't stiff them.
Left an insulting little tip instead.
Posted By: devnull Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/04/21
Dillon,
I hear and get where you're coming from. There is an exception to this....In the last year, I've had poor server service not b/c they were lazy, it was the contrary. They were the only ones working while everyone else was at home receiving .gov handouts. They had double-triple the tables to service and were busting a$$ and service was still not good. They get more than the 20% from me as they're getting it done.

On hunting guides, I've found 10-20% the norm.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/04/21
Absolutely.

A serious attempt is good service.
Posted By: Buzzie Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/05/21
I have a hard time understanding a 10-15% of the total costs of a hunt. Why would someone tip a guide on the fuel or plane owned by the outfitter yet is part of the total costs of a hunt? A $30K sheep hunt guide is going to get $3-4K if he meets or exceeds expectations?

I typically tip the guide $150 a day for the total number of days the hunt is for. A 10 day hunt would be $1500 whether I killed on day 1 or day 10. Maybe this is cheap but I've talked to other hunters who have hunted all over the world and this is what they have stated but maybe things are changing and I need to re-evaluate.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/05/21
I have never hunted with an outfitter, but that seems very reasonable.

My hunt is 3 days and I was planning on giving the guide 100.00 per day, which is is a little over 10% of the hunt.
Posted By: skeen Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/05/21
I have never hunted with an outfitter, but that seems very reasonable.

My hunt is 3 days and I was planning on giving the guide 100.00 per day, which is is a little over 10% of the hunt.

Yeah, same here. We tip waitresses because they rely on service tips for their income. Neat little trick restaurateurs have going, guilting consumers into paying their labor costs.

Are we to believe outfitters pay their guides the same, i.e., pay their guides almost nothing and expect customer tips to make up the bulk of their earnings?

Maybe so, I don't know.

Yep

It's up to you, but I wouldn't do that personally, unless I was 100% sure of his character. If you take away his incentive to reach the carrot, he might not feel the need to try for it.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/05/21
I always wait until after the hunt or after I've scored unless someone like a cook is leaving. Then I take care of them before they leave. Most of the guides I've met work multiple jobs in the offseason to get by. Hunting season is when they make good money but it's only for a few months or even weeks. They might spend a month getting the camp set-up before the season bringing in supplies etc so when you show up the camp is fully stocked and ready for the season. I've been fortunate to have some great guides but have had a couple crappy ones when I was younger and went on "bargain" hunts. If the guide busts his ass for you as most do and you get an animal early don't cheap out because you were lucky. 10% is a decent tip but if you got a really great trophy or the guide really busted his ass for you then a little more is warranted IMO. That being said, I haven't been on a 30K hunt so I'm not sure how much I'd tip the guide but if you can afford to shell out 30k for a hunt you ought to be able to give the guide a decent tip.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/11/21
with the costs of guided hunts why arent guides paid enough that tipping isn't an "expected thing" ?
Posted By: tzone Re: Tip$ for a guided hunt - 10/11/21
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY

Hopefully I'll never know. That sounds horrible.
© 24hourcampfire