Home
Posted By: Esox357 Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/18/21
Do you hunt on a full moon ever? Ever had any luck?
Absolutely. Mid day hunting can be pretty successful during this time.
Posted By: GregW Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by Esox357
Do you hunt on a full moon ever? Ever had any luck?

All the time. Western tags have fixed dates. You hunt or you don't...

On average, I'd rather a hunt not be on a full moon, but you gotta be out there regardless.

Midday can be ok as JG said but if weather conditions are not conducive for a midday feed (too hot or windy) you're likely left with hunting bed switches as the sun comes up or switches aspect after midday or a bedding change of the wind shifts.
Yep, & agree with JG - no early hunt, but 10-2 is often rewarding.
Show me where any animal will hide more because of the moon. They all have to be somewhere, and I doubt that the moon makes them harder to find.
I hunt when I can regardless of the moon.

Hunt all day too, go in when it's dark and come out when it's dark.

5 of my last 6 or 6 of my last 7 bucks have been taken between 11 and 3. Would have to go back and see what phase the moon was in but betting half were killed under a full moon.
My old partner has a theory - untested and unproven but interesting. He thinks that possibly when the moon is full they can't tell the difference when it's getting light and will stay out feeding longer.
Good to know guys. Thank you! Im heading out in next hour. Storm coming in tomorrow. Hunted yesterday morning and evening. No elk or deer, but plenty of hinting pressure. Saw plenty of deer feeding after shooting light and on interstate.
Posted By: erich Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/18/21
I listen to folks on the internet and it sounds more like they are looking for excuses NOT to hunt. If your not in the field your for sure not going to bag anything.
Posted By: hanco Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/18/21
You go when you can. I’ve never noticed much difference.
Yes. I just skip the morning
have killed 90% of my deer between 10 am and 2 pm. full moon or not.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
have killed 90% of my deer between 10 am and 2 pm. full moon or not.

Myself also, except probably 95%.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Show me where any animal will hide more because of the moon. They all have to be somewhere, and I doubt that the moon makes them harder to find.

The full moon theory stems from moonlight allowing critters to see better all night, and thus bedding down earlier in the day than they otherwise would. Not because they hide more because of the moon.

Personally, I have never seen the moon or cloud cover have any affect on when deer or elk or whatever else bed down or keep them out feeding in the daylight longer. They do what they want to do.
Originally Posted by hanco

That's my MO
Posted By: Deans Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Originally Posted by hanco

That's my MO

Same here.
If you’re not out there you kill anything.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/18/21
Yes I have had good luck on a full moon. Get in the stand real early in the morning and catch them going back to the bedding area.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/18/21
I agree with the western tags have fixed dates and you get what you get....
Having hunted MOST ALL NA big game, the new moon after full has always been the best.
For whitetail the new moon after last full in October is the bomb
Yep, I hunt on a full moon. And a new moon, and 1st quarter and last quarter and half moon too. If seasons in.....its time to hunt!
Hell yes. If there is snow on the ground and its clear, you can stay on a field WAYYYYYY after legal light.
Never paid much attention to the moon. Mostly a weekend warrior, so I hunt when I can.
Esox357: Absolutely!
For Deer, Bear, Elk, Mt Goat, Moose, Antelope and for all manner of Varmints predators, small game and game birds.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: GreggH Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/19/21
I think it’s interesting the above responses. The western responders tend to ignore the moon whether due to tag restraints or hunting styles (specifically spot and stalk). The eastern and stand hunters take into account the moon. I hunt more midday on full as I stand hunt.
GreggH
Originally Posted by HitnRun

The idea is that feeding is easier at night during full moon phases, meaning the deer can sleep more during the day. Whether that's true or not I don't know.
Thanks guys and good hunting!
Yep, i call it a Harvest Moon, go in at dark, leave and dark, pack provisions for a full day in the field.
I hunt on my days off.

Have never considered the stage of the moon as it relates to hunting.
A full moon makes it easier getting around in the woods though.
Never seen much game up there.
I'd imagine most here that don't notice a difference are not treestand hunters. I've never had any trouble noticing the difference
Posted By: rong Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/19/21
I notice a difference,but don't have a ton of free time to hunt,so I go when I can.
Yes never give it a though.
I can’t tell how many days l’ve hunted full moon, windy, sweating wondering why to hell I was hunting to see big bucks numerous times. Happened too many times to be a coincidence. Some days good moon, freezing cold, no wind and ain’t chit moving. I’m sure our forefathers didn’t try to figure it out. They got off their ass and went hunting. It’s all fun, good or bad. MAGA
Posted By: Youper Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/20/21
I hunt regardless of moon, but don't expect much during a full one if bait is involved.
I never paid much mind and always enjoyed the full moon in the high country. Even around these parts I enjoyed sitting the trees when the moon is rising. It's all good ,man! Filling the freezer is just icing on the cake! I do love watching all the professional hunters and huntresses on these sporting shows blame their misfortune on the moon though!
Posted By: Dre Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/20/21
Not to be rude but this is a stupid Q.
Maybe the OP is from somewhere where you have weeks, or a month or more for your tag. IDK?
But in the west, and where I hunt. If I draw my fist choice elk tag in Oregon. I get 5 days to get the deal done.
You think waiting 4 years To draw that tag, I’ll skip it due to the full moon.
Gtfoh!
Posted By: shaman Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/20/21
I checked the camp's log. There is a definite bias towards deer activity in the Moon's 1st and second quarters. The 3rd quarter sees a marked reduction, and we have very few deer taken in the last quarter.
This thread got me thinking. I went back to the camp's log and did some number crunching. Here is the result:

[Linked Image]

There is a definite bump in the number of deer taken between the 13 and the 16th day of the Lunar month (full is on the 14th). However, look at the bulge on the 3rd! That's an incredible anomaly I didn't see before. I can't for the life of me figure out why that day is so popular.

Attached picture Kills by Moon Age.JPG
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/20/21
I just hunt when I can. As someone told me once, "You can't kill 'em from the couch."
Originally Posted by HCDH66
I just hunt when I can. As someone told me once, "You can't kill 'em from the couch."

I'd quite agree. I've never held back going out because of moon phase.

It will be interesting for us this year. The 3rd Quarter starts on our Rifle Opener and the Full moon is on the 2nd Saturday.
Originally Posted by Dre
Maybe the OP is from somewhere where you have weeks, or a month or more for your tag. IDK?
But in the west, and where I hunt. If I draw my fist choice elk tag in Oregon. I get 5 days to get the deal done.
Gtfoh!

Maybe your reply is stupid, not to be rude? I don't hunt Oregon. 5 days is an elk season there but not here, or many places I have hunted. Thanks.
Posted By: hanco Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/20/21
Looking like it’s gonna be a full moon opening weekend of rifle season
Posted By: Dre Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by Esox357
Originally Posted by Dre
Gtfoh!

Maybe your reply is stupid, not to be rude? I don't hunt Oregon. 5 days is an elk season there but not here, or many places I have hunted. Thanks.

Ask and you shall receive. Right?
But You do understand how stupid your question sounds to others that only have 5 days to seal the deal.
Posted By: keith Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/20/21
Full moon deer hunting, most will not break the age old pattern.

Hunt from 10:30 am to 3:30 pm.

Rut will throw off these time lines.

Weather with rising/falling barometric pressures will throw off these time lines.

We proved this time and time again when hunting in Mexico for coyotes years ago.
Posted By: WAM Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/20/21
If my hunt is on a full moon, so be it. Hunting season dates are what they are. Moon? Meh
Posted By: MAC Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/20/21
Yep. Had a full moon on 15 Oct 2021 in CO and I was hunting bear on the 16th. Filled my tag with a 240 pound boar 20 min after sunrise on the 16th. 'Nuff said.
Just killed a 220# 10 pointer. Full moon
Weather is more important than moon phase.
Posted By: las Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/23/21
To paraphrase McManus's Rancid Crabtree, "The two best times to hunt is when the moon is full and when it ain't."

I must confess that when I first viewed the title, I thought, "Why? theres nothing there but dust and craters". The second was, "Yeah, but wind is of no consequence".

Maybe I'm just as weird as the English language...... smile
Posted By: keith Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/23/21
I will say it again:

Full moon deer hunting, most hunters will not break the age old pattern, get up early.

Smart hunters will Hunt from 10:30 am to 3:30 pm.

Rut will throw off these time lines.

Weather with rising/falling barometric pressures will throw off these time lines.

We proved this time and time again when hunting in Mexico for coyotes years ago.

I will add that the leading edge of a low pressure front is fantastic, and during a low pressure front.
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by HCDH66

Same for me, they are still there and they still make mistakes.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: Do you hunt on a full moon? - 10/28/21
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Never seen much game up there.

No doubt Ralphie, it's pretty rough stalking in all that open country too.
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Weather is more important than moon phase.

This is also my experience and strongest belief.
These guys radio collared deer and said no difference...

I do. All the time.
Me too I hunt when I can, but not in pouring rain or too high of wind.

Mike
I’m going to answer the question “yes” based on the guys that said you hunt when you can.

Animal activity is effected by lunar cycles, its proven science.

Animal activity is effected by weather fronts, barometric pressure, wind speed, clouds, and other stuff.

Bottom line, regardless of conditions, you won’t kill anything from the couch, you gotta be out there.
I am a lover of all things pertaining to the Moon. A full Moon prompts me to sit as long as I can stay awake and bask in its bright light & all of the reasons why God hung it in the sky. I never forgo an opportunity to hunt during a full Moon. I can walk to my stand without any other light and I eat it up.

I believe we all should relish the light of the Moon as much as our hunting opportunities.

"Hunt as much as you can. You'll run out of health long before you run out of money."
Randy Newberg
We only get 2 weeks for gun deer season, full moon or not.
© 24hourcampfire