Home
Posted By: GTC22 Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
I posted this hunt as an addendum to a 7-08 thread I put together in the Hunting Rifle Forum. I’ll copy it here to the Big Game Forum.

We’ll, it’s only been two years since we put this rifle together, but who’s counting? 😝

My better half drew a deer tag on a “used to be good but going downhill” unit. We’ve had a busy fall with kids moving out, others moving back and one moved to Alaska. So our time afield has been a bit limited.

We had just two afternoons to try to get Jill on a deer. The first day lived up to our low expectations, with about 50 elk and exactly zero deer seen. We almost tapped out for day two, but I purposely left our Wolverine on the property so we had to at least go back and try again.

Again, lots of elk but no deer at all. We were just about back to the truck with 15 minutes of shooting time left, when we decided to glass two draws closest to the main gate. Draw 1 was deerless. As we drove around a bend bringing draw 2 into view, I brought the glass up for the last chance of the hunt.

I picked out a deer immediately. Then he turned his head revealing his rack. In my most trying not to seem too excited Terminator voice, I simply said, “Get out.”

In the fading light he looked 500 yards out, but the laser said 290. I got Jill set up on the sticks and pointed in the right direction. Our buck was with a 2 point and some does off to the right. “Can you see him?” “I can see 2 bucks.” “Well only look at the big one then!”

Once I was sure she was looking at Mr. Big, I dialed the little Leupold to 7X. “How’s that look?” “I’m shaky,” she replied. “OK, now you’re going to put the first dot under the crosshairs right on his shoulder.” “What dot?” Oops, with only 2 years to get ready for this moment, we’d not verified Jill could actually see through the scope. 🙈

“Put your readers on!” That brought the reticle into sharp view for her. The buck had walked away a bit and changed ends, now at 304 yards. “Now get that first dot on his shoulder and don’t jerk that trigger!” She couldn’t get steady and asked me to lean into her. I pressed my chest against her shooting arm and that seemed to help. I was just about to prod her again when, “Whop!”

It sure sounded good. The little buck headed out left and I saw the does still off to the right. Where was our buck? Suddenly, he appeared with them and started walking away up the hill. I was just about to tell her to shoot again (we hadn’t even reloaded yet), when I saw him bed down. The other deer were milling around, so I knew he was either sick or the smartest buck on earth.

All we could see above the sage was his rack and nose when he’d put it in the air; and then eventually just one side of his rack, and then nothing. With light fading fast, we made our way up the draw. We hiked up to where he was standing at the shot and had blood right away. I knew the little quakie that he had bedded by, and walked straight to it while Jill followed the blood trail. “I’ve got good blood down here!” “Well, I’ve got a good buck up here.”

To say we were pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She hit him low with not an inch to spare. The 120 NBT did the trick and he was a dead deer walking. This is the exit.

I think my Campenshteen rifle might have a new owner.🤣

Posted By: LBP Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Congratulations that’s a beautiful buck
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Congrats! Sounds like fun
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Put your readers on....BTDT !

Love it 👍🏼

🦫
Posted By: Springcove Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Great buck and story. Congratulations to you both.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Nice!
Posted By: jwall Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Man, I love it all the way around.

K O O L !!

congrats to both of ya

Jerry
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Way cool !!
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Outstanding!!
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Very nice. Congrats
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Beautiful buck - congrats to you both and nice shooting!!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Congrats to Jill. That buck looks like a bruiser, and she's not even short-arming the photo!!!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Muley for Momma - 11/08/21
Oh man, nice buck.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Muley for Momma - 11/10/21
Great buck, congratulations, tell me about that stock please!
Posted By: SLM Re: Muley for Momma - 11/10/21
Good stuff, congrats.
Posted By: GTC22 Re: Muley for Momma - 11/10/21
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Great buck, congratulations, tell me about that stock please!

It's a McMillan, guys here call it a McWoody. Here's the thread describing how the rifle came together.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...14292168/campfire-casserole#Post14292168
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Muley for Momma - 11/10/21
Yeah, it really turned out nice! I have several black painted McMillans but a McWoody would look nice on my classic 270 Win.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Muley for Momma - 11/10/21
Damn nice buck-- good for her
Posted By: Justahunter Re: Muley for Momma - 11/10/21
Very Cool!

Todd
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Muley for Momma - 11/10/21
thanks so much for the cool story... congrats to the supermodel.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Muley for Momma - 11/10/21
Good thing your wife shot it, the 7mm-08 only kills for women and kids.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Muley for Momma - 11/11/21
Nice buck, congrats!
Posted By: efw Re: Muley for Momma - 11/11/21
Dang man what a blessing to have a wife who likes hunting that much congrats!

Congrats to her on the beautiful buck; what an awesome experience!
Posted By: mathman Re: Muley for Momma - 11/11/21
Congrats to Momma, and I'll say that's an extremely practical rifle and cartridge for many purposes.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Muley for Momma - 11/11/21
Congratulations on a fine hunt!
Posted By: Scotty Re: Muley for Momma - 11/11/21
Nice Buck, congratulations.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Muley for Momma - 11/12/21
Great buck. She did good. Now that's what I'm talking about.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Muley for Momma - 11/12/21
Cheers. Congrats.
Posted By: SKane Re: Muley for Momma - 11/12/21
Darned nice buck. Congrats to your wife.
Posted By: Takman Re: Muley for Momma - 11/17/21
Beautiful buck and cool story. You didn’t say if she could sense you were excited about his size before the shot.
© 24hourcampfire