Home
Post your stunt shot critters here. Let’s stir up some hate and discontent.

Starting with this one from less than an hour ago. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
For the curious, him and 4 of his closest friends bit the big one with one 77TMK each. Shots from 75 to 200 yards as they made their getaway. Teach them to hang out in the open on my route home from work. 😉
I don’t carry a scale around in my pocket so I don’t know exactly what he weighed but if he didn’t go 225 or better I’d be shocked. Here’s the entry through the notorious shield. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
And the exit a little further back in the ribs on the other side. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Also note that he was covered in half to three quarters of an inch of dried mud.

Join the fun whether bitching or bragging, I’m sure there’ll be plenty of both. Might turn into a good place to compare bullet performance info if the BS doesn’t get too deep.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
220 Wilson Arrow - 55gr SP at 3800fps - 175yds
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

220 Swift - 55gr SP at 3860fps - 100yds

223 Rem - 50gr TTSX at 3250fps - 255yds

22-250 - 65gr SGK at 3500fps - 100yds
From this year? I have nothing.

Years prior though....
It was a 223 year for me

Wyoming doe antelope
75 grain AMAX
[Linked Image]

Mountain lion
50 grain VMAX
[Linked Image]
I thought of this with the hope that it might become similar to the 77TMK thread over on Rokslide. There is tons of great info in that really long thread pertaining to the performance of one bullet. I hope this thread might let us share notes on different bullets and loads for achieving the impossible. 😁

Anyway here’s another mud covered rooter from this evening, same load same result. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This character had a decent set of tusks on him but I wasn’t sticking my fingers in his bloody mouth full of lung soup to take a pic for you guys,sorry. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This is probably the second largest pig I’ve ever killed, minor side trip on a crappie expedition last spring. He fell to one 55gr Speer SP in the armpit. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Coolest thing about shooting them with the can on is hearing the bullets land. Pigs make a big hollow sounding “Whump” when you poke them in the front half.
@70 yards, 62grain Federal Fusion.

I just took in a nice Sako .22-250 on consignment. I have been trying to resist the urge to work out a deal with the owner to buy it outright.

This thread is not helping…
TC Contender Carbine, SSK .223 barrel 1:7 twist, Nosler 64 gr. My first with a .223.

Where’s the elephant and Buffalo pics?
221 fireball
221 fireball
And 221 fireball.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Where’s the elephant and Buffalo pics?

You’re the only guy I know to accomplish that Dan. Though I do know a guy who talked of stitching up a tiger with an M16.
Well hell, figured with all these new fancy bullets somebody woulda done it. All we had was slow twisted itty bitty FMJ.
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
It was a 223 year for me

Wyoming doe antelope
75 grain AMAX
[Linked Image]

Mountain lion
50 grain VMAX
[Linked Image]

I’d like to hear the story on the mountain lion.
What bullets are you using in the Fireball?
You’ll have to go to Rokslide to see my daughter’s from this year. It’s on page 63. This place doesn’t play well with iPhones and iPads. Even ARAIG can upload photos direct. Still 2007 around here LOL.
Originally Posted by TheKid
What bullets are you using in the Fireball?

40g NBT on the javelina and pig.

50g Sierra SP on the deer.
Originally Posted by chesterwy
It was a 223 year for me

Wyoming doe antelope
75 grain AMAX
[Linked Image]

Mountain lion
50 grain VMAX
[Linked Image]

Thanks!
I posted it here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...07/curiosity-killed-the-cat#Post16506507
To The Kid- I don't think theres enough bandwidth for me and you to post alot of our pics, but you knew I'd have to play....

Oh, but wait...is this even legal in most states? Is it even ethical? Everybody knows anything under .243 isn't effective on larger game, and even the .243 is questionable..... laugh
Was your 660 a 223 or a three deuces? For some reason I’ve always wanted one of those ugly things.

Strangely enough I was an anti 223 guy for a long time. Not anti .224 just the 223 in particular as it was too boring since everyone has one. I’ve seen the light though, if boring is large flat rate boxes of brass I don’t mind leaving lying on the ground for dirt cheap, accuracy, and surprising effectiveness I like boring.
.223 is my favorite cartridge.
Originally Posted by chesterwy
It was a 223 year for me

Wyoming doe antelope
75 grain AMAX
[Linked Image]

Mountain lion
50 grain VMAX
[Linked Image]

Thanks!
I posted it here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...07/curiosity-killed-the-cat#Post16506507

Incredible! First time out with the caller and end up with that. 👍👍
.223 & 77gr TMK.
Was your 660 a 223 or a three deuces? For some reason I’ve always wanted one of those ugly things.

Strangely enough I was an anti 223 guy for a long time. Not anti .224 just the 223 in particular as it was too boring since everyone has one. I’ve seen the light though, if boring is large flat rate boxes of brass I don’t mind leaving lying on the ground for dirt cheap, accuracy, and surprising effectiveness I like boring.

That 660 is a deuce. And Ive danced around the .223 enough too, but its hard to argue with something that works so well. That said my favorite is the deuce for a kind of stupid reason. In the middle of high volume shooting, or predator shooting at night if you have to reload in a hurry, the deuce has some "slop" in the mag and you dont have to look at it or be careful, just stuff them in.

More pics...

.223& 64gr nosler BSB
Haven't shot a .223/5.56 in many, many years, but they do work.

I knew I could count on you Dan. I’ve never killed a pig with a short. LR out of my Single Six is as wimpy as I’ve went.
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I just took in a nice Sako .22-250 on consignment. I have been trying to resist the urge to work out a deal with the owner to buy it outright.

Tag...

Get it!

You live once.... laugh
I’m thinking a 22-250 or a 22Creed with a 7 twist might be a world beater. I haven’t had a big 22 in years but I’m going to have my lathe set up soon and that may change.
I’m thinking a 22-250 or a 22Creed with a 7 twist might be a world beater. I haven’t had a big 22 in years but I’m going to have my lathe set up soon and that may change.

You could have some big fun with it!

But don't you think thats a bit large? grin
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Said "Doc it's only a scratch!

ya!

GWB
That's the best kind of fugged up.
Lol
22LR

Originally Posted by ingwe

Spectacular specimen
[Linked Image]

.220 Swift, 55 grain Hornady SP.
[Linked Image]

.220 Swift 52 grain Sierra Matchking
[Linked Image]

.220 Swift 55 grain Hornady SP
I don't have a photo but my only big game animal with a .22 was an antelope shot with a 22-250 and a 55 gr softpoint Sierra. It annihilated the heart and lungs and I found it in the far shoulder.
Otherwise, my main .22 target has been squirrels in my orchard with a .22LR. Last summer I also used it on some rock chucks that had taken up residence in my neighbors wood pile and were invading our place.

.22 Mag

I am impressed. I have used those CBs in my 5.5" single six to dispatch beaver at point blank and have had some fail to penetrate.
Bullet fully penetrated the skull and was found about 6” behind in neck muscle. Typical based in my experience.

.22 Mag

Those Redbones are gorgeous...
Thanks. I appreciate that. They were my first two pups. Unfortunately the female ended up with a respiratory issue last season and died unexpectedly. She was a great cold-nosed dog and a real sweetheart of a dog. Losing her almost made me get out of hounds.
You guys with the lions have me jealous. I finally got to see one in the flesh last year hunting in Colorado and seeing him while he was unaware of my presence at 30 yards was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen hunting. Someday I’ll go run one with dogs.
I think Geeduba got ya"ll beat on funnest pic. but all good pics.👍
Mouflon

Iv taken a couple of does, with my Savage 22HP, a Beaver or two and. Few weeks ago 4 muskrats! No photos , rifle was made in 1917 60 and 70 grain pills!
From this afternoon...

.22-250 Fusion 55gr, about 120 yards. VERY impressed with the bullet performance, just under the hide in the offside.

In the spirit of Tinman...

And then theres pigs....galore...

Are those all Tejas pigs Ingwe?
I have looked into those hunts a few times but always got sidetracked onto something else. I need to go down there one day and do that.

https://youtu.be/rg9luQv3aNw

I think I was shooting Remington thunderbolts. Can't remember for sure though
Haven't shot a .223/5.56 in many, many years, but they do work.

Love it Dan!! lol
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Are those all Tejas pigs Ingwe?
I have looked into those hunts a few times but always got sidetracked onto something else. I need to go down there one day and do that.

Yeah, they were all in Tejas. Let me know if you ever want to go, hopefully I can help point you in the right direction.Cousin and I are going in March for "Aporkalypse 2022" laugh
Another pair bit the dust this morning courtesy of CritRcall and the 77TMK. Not my ideal coyote bullet but elk season is open so I took the elephant loads. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Good stuff Kid!

How about something exotic?

ingwe,

what are the details of that rifle and stock?
Originally Posted by kandpand
ingwe,

what are the details of that rifle and stock?

That was an SPS stainless action, Benchmark Bbl chambered in .223AI with an 8 twist. Stock is Mc Millan Remington Mountain rifle pattern in "McFlame"
K Hornet.

This photo is of Eileen with her latest "deer" rifle, a special-run Tikka T3 .22-250 with a 1-8 twist from Whittaker Guns of Owensboro, Kentucky. The pronghorn was taken with a 70-grain Hornady GMX at 180 yards, which dropped the doe right there. (The guy to the left shot the buck after he trotted a little way from the doe after she dropped, and then stopped broadside. The "rifle" is a Sauer 16x16/6.557R drilling.) A few weeks later Eileen killed a big whitetail doe at 275 yards with the same .22-250 and load, but we ran out of photo light, since I'd shot another doe a few minutes earlier with a 6.5 PRC. Both deer went about 50 yards and dropped.

[Linked Image]

I used the same load to take this pronghorn buck at 350 yards a couple years ago, but with another Whittaker special-run 1-8 .22-250, a Ruger American. The buck was angling away, and the bullet stayed inside, the only 70 GMX we've recovered so far, weighing 70 grains....

[Linked Image]

This one's "historical," of an 18-year-old guy I guided on a central Montana ranch in 1988. He wanted to be an Alaskan guide, so bought a .338 Winchester Magnum before he ever saw Alaska. He brought it on the pronghorn hunt, which his father bought as a high-school graduation present, and couldn't hit them. The outfitter I worked for loaned the kid his .25-06, but by then he flinched so much he couldn't anything with it either.

That evening I took the kid to the .300-yard gong I 'd set up behind the lodge, and had him shoot my Ruger 77 .220 Swift with its handloads using the 60-grain Nosler Solid Base. After flinching hard on the first shot, he said, "Hey, that doesn't kick!" He then shot a tight 3-shot group on the gong, and we went out the next morning and found him this buck. The Solid Base went through both lungs and exited, and the buck trotted 30 feet and fell over.

[Linked Image]
Good stuff Juan!
you guys sure kill some big stuff with 22 cals....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
He had his hand caught in the cookie jar today but what the hell, he still died via .22 LR (not the shotgun, because I know someone will ask).

He had his hand caught in the cookie jar today but what the hell, he still died via .22 LR (not the shotgun, because I know someone will ask).

Very cool!
Good stuff Kid!

How about something exotic?

Where the hell do you have fallow deer in the US? Great! Congrats. Because of its appearance we call them shoveller
We have some here in NC.
ElmerKeith,

There are also quite a few fallow deer in Texas.
MD- what scope is that on the Ruger American in the solo pic of you and the antelope?

Get it!

You live once.... laugh

You are correct. I bought it. Hoping to do a javelina hunt this spring or next. Seems like it will be a good match. Just topped it with a fixed 6x leupold. Should be a fun point and click with 55 Hornady's.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Grandsons first coyote. 22 cricket

Had a buddy call yesterday with a hot cat track on his trap line where he is doing some predator control for a rancher.

I slipped away from work and took an experienced dog and two pups. Both had been on bear and coon but this was their first lion.

We actually trailed it to a freshly killed coyote that the cat had killed, partially ate and buried.

Treed 250 yards from the buried kill.

Trapper shot it with his .22-250.

Not a big cat but him and the rancher were glad to see it off the place. I was just glad all the dogs trailed and treed.
This is a double he called in, We each shot one, 22 mag for him 22-250 for me.

Originally Posted by crittrgittr

That's pretty sweet!
With a cricket? That'd be tough for about anyone, let alone a new hunter. Good job!

This is a repeat of a repeat, but to keep it above the Corner Crossing SNAFU I present to you a .22 Hi-Power kill.
OK...I guess I'll throw another one in here too...

With a cricket? That'd be tough for about anyone, let alone a new hunter. Good job!

This is a repeat of a repeat, but to keep it above the Corner Crossing SNAFU I present to you a .22 Hi-Power kill.

Hell ya Ted!!! 👍👍
Had a buddy call yesterday with a hot cat track on his trap line where he is doing some predator control for a rancher.

I slipped away from work and took an experienced dog and two pups. Both had been on bear and coon but this was their first lion.

We actually trailed it to a freshly killed coyote that the cat had killed, partially ate and buried.

Treed 250 yards from the buried kill.

Trapper shot it with his .22-250.

Not a big cat but him and the rancher were glad to see it off the place. I was just glad all the dogs trailed and treed.

Damn nice Jud!!
Good deal and good for the hounds too.

Going to have to get in on this one of these days.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Badass kid right there!

Way to get er done!
Was going through some old pics and had almost forgot about this whitetail I .22-250’d that made the mistake of thinking he was hidden while I checked some traps years ago. Busy day.

Great pictures fellas. Just great stuff.
That’s a cool pic. What’d you do with the porky?
There is a solid market for porky hair and quills. They all end up in Native American head dresses and craft projects.

That is several grand worth of hair in the box
I hear porcupines are good eating.
There is a solid market for porky hair and quills. They all end up in Native American head dresses and craft projects.

That is several grand worth of hair in the box

Would it do for a shaving brush like badger?
When I was a teenager, I shot a few porky's, we cooked then, not that great! I'd not go through the trouble again.
Filled a doe tag, last evening, with my Savage 22HP, small doe #25 yrd shot thru her neck, bang flop right at dark. Pics on the savage threads kill page. Love that old rifle! Be the last gun I ever sell!
You fellas should be ashamed of yourselves !
Stunt shooting like that !
Everybody knows it takes at least a .270 for big game and even that can be questionable

I need to gather up a doe or two for the freezer this weekend. Trying to decide if I should go in style with my M30 or my 99 or just hit the easy button and run a TMK out of the AR through one. I might even pull off a double with the suppressor on the AR.
22-250 75gr ELD-M

That's a great pic!
Sorry, no pics of this weeks doe, 22-250 shooting Federal Mk318 Mod 0 barrier blind bullet. The rear 2/3 is solid copper.
I was hoping for a nice clean chest shot to compare the performance to the 64gr Nosler bonded or 60gr Partition, nope.
I had to shoot wrong handed out the back of the tree stand and I spined her, I worked.

64 bonded work, 60 partition work, 62 TTSX have all worked too.
221FB 34gr HP
223 65gr SGK
223 55gr SP

55gr. SP Rio7
New Zealanders consider Wallabies as vermin. Here's the results of one night when I helped a NZ sheep farmer rid his farm of a few Wallabies. I used a bolt action .223 Rem.

A well known Montana hunter and former poster on this Forum used his .220 Swift on many big game animals. Here's one of our friends with a fine bull elk that he shot a few years ago with his .22-250, which was his favorite big game rifle for more than the 40 years that I knew him. We lost him last week, and this was one of the pictures his wife put in the announcement of his service.

Ruger 10/22 magnum on Uncompahgre Plateau

More 223 pigs bit the dust on Christmas Eve. Sister and her gang came for a visit and my BIL has been wanting to kill a pig for forever.
Dad and I took him out where I’d seen a bunch a couple days prior and we’re able to locate them. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Some very cool pics here!
Impressed and motivated reading these posts and looking at the pictures. Hoping to post some of my own 22 caliber pics soon. Picked up a Ruger M77 MK II 223 Rem with the Zytel stock and headed up to my property tomorrow morning in NE Wisconsin for the holiday antlerless hunt...

And always see Bobcat tracks in the snow, but have yet to see one, going to work on changing that...

Jeep gun does a lot of work with very little care. Rio7
Originally Posted by buffybr
New Zealanders consider Wallabies as vermin. Here's the results of one night when I helped a NZ sheep farmer rid his farm of a few Wallabies. I used a bolt action .223 Rem.

A well known Montana hunter and former poster on this Forum used his .220 Swift on many big game animals. Here's one of our friends with a fine bull elk that he shot a few years ago with his .22-250, which was his favorite big game rifle for more than the 40 years that I knew him. We lost him last week, and this was one of the pictures his wife put in the announcement of his service.

Sorry for the loss of your friend - but this is proof that it's always been about the rifleman, not the rifle. I recently learned of the passing of someone I had not seen in a while and between his 22 Mag, 45 ACP (military issue) and 7mm Mag., he truly believed there was nothing he could not hit and no critter he could not dispatch. And the kicker, it didn't matter which critter or which gun - a gopher with the 7 Mag, a buffalo with the 22 Mag or a quail with the 45 - he was that confident with either piece.
Originally Posted by RIO7

Jeep gun does a lot of work with very little care. Rio7

I gotta come and talk you into taking me cat hunting!

ingwe, I do a little cat hunting. Rio7

Nice haul, Rio
shocked shocked

I know..I keep seeing your posts.....

Ive been in places in Texas where cats are few and far between, and other places where they are quite common. Yours looks like the latter!
Rio7

What scope is the jeep gun wearing???
Fun thread guys.

Here is my current favorite rifle for making stuff fall out of trees.

TC Carbine with a 21” barrel cut to 16.25”. Much lighter then just finding a super 16 barrel. Chambered in .223 shooting ultra max 52gr HP. Has been a deadly combo.

Not dead in the pic but it hasn’t killed any deer since that pic was taken wink

kevinJ, Leupy fire dot 2.5 x 8 Good little low light scope. some one told me they don't make them any more?? I have 3 of them they get a lot of use. Rio7
Will be tryin got find a similar scope

Looks handy
Nice stuff.

ingwe, If i ever cools off i will be cat hunting, 89 Deg. today, this SUCKS. Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7

ingwe, If i ever cools off i will be cat hunting, 89 Deg. today, this SUCKS. Rio7

Im headed your way as of Saturday but I'll be farther north, up by Waco. Gonna shoot a pig or two and something else to eat.

ingwe, Good Luck, shoot a pig if i see one,we will be deer and exotic hunting, Rio7
More data points this morning. Got into a bunch of pigs in a big thicket of about 20 acres that they didn’t want to leave. I chased them around in there for three laps before they finally broke cover and headed for parts unknown. Managed a new personal record of 10 out of one bunch.

Some fell to 53gr TSXs and some to the 77TMK. 18” 223 with a Griffin Recce7 suppressor. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
77TMK exit on this little guy. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
What else are you shooting to eat ingwe? I may head down that way in Feb. or March. My stepdaughter is still wanting to try for elk. I would like to try for something in Tx. where it is warm.
That is quite a pile of pigs Kid.
More data points this morning. Got into a bunch of pigs in a big thicket of about 20 acres that they didn’t want to leave. I chased them around in there for three laps before they finally broke cover and headed for parts unknown. Managed a new personal record of 10 out of one bunch.

Some fell to 53gr TSXs and some to the 77TMK. 18” 223 with a Griffin Recce7 suppressor. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Heeee-re piggy, piggy, piggy!!

Nice work, Man!
.223AI fire form load 75 ELD @ 2,980 fps 375 yards

.223AI 75 ELD @ 3,080 fps 600 yards
Went this evening to call a group of coyotes that passed by me this morning on my bow stand. I knew where they were headed and figured I could sneak in and call them out.

Bumped a big sow out of a thicket on my way in and decided it was a pig hunt. Had my gun loaded with 40gr Varmeggedon tipped over a max load of TAC, not ideal but dance with who you brung. I whiffed the head shot but got a pair into the ribs as she exited stage left. 75 yard run before she piled up with a big chunk of lung hanging out her side. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Entrance hole, the rib it centered was vaporized. No exit obviously but soup inside. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Gosh

You guys make me wish I lived somewhere with lots of pigs to shoot

But then I’m really glad we aren’t as eat up with them here

But I sure wouldn’t mind the target rich environment for once
Originally Posted by Higginez
.223AI fire form load 75 ELD @ 2,980 fps 375 yards

.223AI 75 ELD @ 3,080 fps 600 yards

Build particulars on bottom rifle?

Can't tell if same or different from top one, stock looks a bit different colored.
.223AI
Bighorn Origin
1-7" Bartlein SS 4 groove
TT Diamond
McM Hunter in McWalnut
PTG Stealth DBM
Leupold DD's
10x Mil Quad

Shaen put it together for me and did the Cerakote (which looks awesome). Shoots really, really good.

Same rifle just different lighting btw.
Damn Kid....you're hell on those pigs.
.223AI
Bighorn Origin
1-7" Bartlein SS 4 groove
TT Diamond
McM Hunter in McWalnut
PTG Stealth DBM
Leupold DD's
10x Mil Quad

Shaen put it together for me and did the Cerakote (which looks awesome). Shoots really, really good.

Same rifle just different lighting btw.

Barrel length?
21"

It’s a labor of love. 😁
Best way to get in the good graces of a farmer around here is to ask him to shoot pigs. Kill a few for him and he’ll let you hunt anything else you want. I like shooting pigs but also have tons of places I can call coyotes, hunt deer, or birds as long as I keep killing pigs. Plus it’s fun since it’s basically a free for all with no limits or restrictions of any kind.
How do those ELDs behave when they land? I’ve about used up my last box of TMKs and can’t find any more at the moment.

It’s a labor of love. 😁
Best way to get in the good graces of a farmer around here is to ask him to shoot pigs. Kill a few for him and he’ll let you hunt anything else you want. I like shooting pigs but also have tons of places I can call coyotes, hunt deer, or birds as long as I keep killing pigs. Plus it’s fun since it’s basically a free for all with no limits or restrictions of any kind.

I'd do the same. It is one reason I hunt coyotes a lot.....a guy can do it in the off season, you don't have to deal with the meat, you don't spend 2 days packing it out, etc. I rarely hunt private but when/if I do, killing 'yotes usually puts me in good grace with the rancher. There's no downside.

Anyhoo....another trapped wolverine, but he still died via .22 LR.

I have a lynx making a fool of me so I set a few extra surprises for him last Sunday. We'll see how long his luck lasts...
Great pictures fellas!
Good luck T..
Kid keep after those pigs. Fun times I am sure.. Ah, to be young again.
Nothing dead here but the .223 Rem is at the ready.
My hands down favorite wolf calling spot, on the mountain behind my mom's house. I have never personally killed one here though I've called in 3, one of which a friend killed. The other 2 times, I royally screwed the opportunity up.

Small meat buck from 2019 I believe it was.

Heres a small meat buck for you! .223AI

Rto7
I swatted two more pigs this evening with my 223. I think the old 50gr Hornadys I used might have been SXs. Blew the entire top off one of them’s head! Either way two more down.
Anybody whacked anything with 88's?
I have not. Just the 64 gr copper solid HP from Winchester on FL pigs. Wish I knew how to post a pic.

I’d like to, saw a bunch on the shelf on Friday for normal price. But my bolt gun has a 9 twist and they won’t fit in an AR mag.

I’d like to, saw a bunch on the shelf on Friday for normal price. But my bolt gun has a 9 twist and they won’t fit in an AR mag.

What's the heaviest/longest you have shot in the 9 twist?
75 Hornady BTHP
I have a 1-9" that would shoot 75 Amax good at 100 and barely hit a barn at 500.
75 Hornady BTHP

Good killer of deer and porkers?
I’m not a huge fan on pigs honestly. I’ve had them work great and the next one in the Mag blow a big crater on a shoulder or neck. Shot one in the eye and it blew a 3” diameter crater in his head but didn’t penetrate the brain pan. Had coyotes spin and run and look like they’d been ice picked when I found them. They shoot okay but they’re just kinda erratic in my experience.

The 55gr Hornady SP with cannelure has been much more consistent at 223 speeds.
hey kid,

that sucks to hear about the 75 grain Hornady, they shoot great in my 2 rifles.

any experience with the Hornady 55 bthp?

and in your opinion and experience is the 55 Hornady sp the best all around 223/556 bullet for everything between mice and hogs?

I don't load so i just buy factory ammo.
I have a bunch of the 55 BTHP with cannulure that I bought when the crunch started and I couldn’t get ahold of anything else. They shoot great in my rifles but I haven’t used them enough on critters to have an opinion.

The 55SP has been reliable and predictable on everything I’ve used it on. Coyotes, crows, deer, pigs, elk and probably others in forgetting at the moment. It doesn’t penetrate like the 77s but it hasn’t been erratic. It’s always given 10-12” of penetration in a straight line. Shoots good in everything I’ve tried it in and leaves a nice 1” wound channel. If you go digging you can usually find the jacket peeled down to the cannulure and the core beside if not in it.

I don’t know if the 77TMK is available in a factory load but I consider it the ultimate 223 bullet for game at this time. It’s just been so reliable it’s hard to find anything bad to say about it.

I’ve used the 53TSX quite a bit on pigs and deer and I don’t love it. They give excellent penetration but small wound channels. Maybe the 62s are better, I don’t know and probably won’t buy any to find out.
Kid

Would you mind sharing your 55 hornady load?

I used to use benchmark with them but I'm almost out and am about to load a few trying other powders. Hoping TAC will work, I'm sitting on a bunch
I’d have to go out to the shop to check my notebook to be exact on charge weights but I pretty much just use whatever powder I can get ahold of that is in the right burn rate range. I know I’ve used at various times TAC, Lever, CFE223, 4895, RL10, 748, 335, and lately Shooters World Rifle Match. I’m not worried about bug hole groups. 95% of my shooting is inside of 200 yards so when I try a load of the brass looks good and I can put the first three inside 1 1/2” or less I usually don’t worry about it. I don’t fret BC numbers for the same reason.

I want reliable functioning in my AR and predictable bullet performance for shooting pigs in the brush.

In my bolt gun I do fiddle a little more but it’s been easy to get to shoot with any bullet I’ve ever put much effort into.
I appreciate the response

I don't fret super gilt edge accuracy with these types of loads either, I look for good performance across a couple of rifles though if possible. I'm gonna play around with TAC a bit and see how it goes.

I agree with you about the 55 gr hornady sp. It is just a low drama solid performing bullet
i got a bunch of factory 77 grain factory loaded bthp, they killed hogs last year, may try the 55 sp this year
I have a bunch of the 55 BTHP with cannulure that I bought when the crunch started and I couldn’t get ahold of anything else. They shoot great in my rifles but I haven’t used them enough on critters to have an opinion.

The 55SP has been reliable and predictable on everything I’ve used it on. Coyotes, crows, deer, pigs, elk and probably others in forgetting at the moment. It doesn’t penetrate like the 77s but it hasn’t been erratic. It’s always given 10-12” of penetration in a straight line. Shoots good in everything I’ve tried it in and leaves a nice 1” wound channel. If you go digging you can usually find the jacket peeled down to the cannulure and the core beside if not in it.

I don’t know if the 77TMK is available in a factory load but I consider it the ultimate 223 bullet for game at this time. It’s just been so reliable it’s hard to find anything bad to say about it.

I’ve used the 53TSX quite a bit on pigs and deer and I don’t love it. They give excellent penetration but small wound channels. Maybe the 62s are better, I don’t know and probably won’t buy any to find out.

Ever messed with the 69 grain TMK?
I've shot the 69 tmk some. Not at hogs but on coyotes and other varmints plus a few deer.

I'd say it acts similarly to the 77 tmk but is a bit more explosive, at the cost of less penetration though. I'd have no problems using it anywhere I would use a 55 hornady or a 77 tmk.
That’s good to know. I haven’t used the 69 TMK but I would if I could find some. They might be the business in my 9 twist bolt gun
I like them in my 9 twist montana. They are the best pitch going for it. 77s tmk and 75 elds are a no go in it.

Wish I could find some more 69 TMKs as well.

I just got 1k of Rocky mountain reloadings 69 smk clone. I'm sure they will not have the same performance of the TMK but should be similar to the SMK plus the price is great and they are available
That’s good to know. I haven’t used the 69 TMK but I would if I could find some. They might be the business in my 9 twist bolt gun

That's where I am at.
Great thread !
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Great thread !

Indeed.
threads on this subject over on nzhunting and shooting are good value

i know guys are shooting hundreds of WT in texas for animal control but that's more like killing billy goats then reds.

surprised how well the 69gr tmk is regarded over there. i'd be keen to try it myself but i'm pretty deep in 77's and 75gr tipped stuff.
For you fellers using the 69 or 77 grain tipped bullets are you killing mature deer at ranges of under 50-75 yards?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
For you fellers using the 69 or 77 grain tipped bullets are you killing mature deer at ranges of under 50-75 yards?

I haven’t tried tipped heavies, but the 75 gr Speer Gold Dot is good at any range. It’s affordable (when available) and accurate too. It’s my favorite bullet in 223 and 22-250.

I haven’t shot any deer that close. But I have shot some pretty big pigs at that range and much closer, some under 10 yards. They’re devastating though penetration does suffer some.

I’m using them in an 18” 223 which keeps the speeds down and probably helps with consistent performance. A buddy tried them in his 22 Creed and wasn’t impressed. He said they seemed very soft. I guess at 3500fps or however fast a Creed will run a 77 everything but a mono probably is pretty soft.
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/

I don't know if you guys have seen this or not. Thought it may be of interest to most in this thread. If it's already here, my apologies. A whole lot of info on the 77 TMK. With some good pictures.
I’ve shot a herd of game with the old version 75 Amax and it’s about all I use
And I’m running them at better than 3400
From 10 yards to 500 deer hate it !
As a matter of fact everything hates them
Anybody used the 62gr SP Hornady that Midsouth has in stock right now? It looks like a slightly longer 55SP so I’m guessing they’re good to go but I’d hate to spring for 500 and find out they suck.
Anybody used the 62gr SP Hornady that Midsouth has in stock right now? It looks like a slightly longer 55SP so I’m guessing they’re good to go but I’d hate to spring for 500 and find out they suck.

Kid,
Is that the same 62 SP in the Hornady Frontier .223 & 5.56?

Expat
I don’t know. I had no idea until I stumbled upon them today that Hornady made a 62 other than the FMJ.
For any who've tried them, would the Speer 55gr. Gold Dots be any advantage over the Hornady 55gr. SP in a 1-12 bolt gun?
Hi Digital Dan,

Not an elephant but Bella Twin took a big grizzly bear in 1953 with a .22 Long shooting Whiz-bang brand ammo so it should count. See this website for the story- https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...d-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz7IpiwroKZ

I knew an old cowboy who lived south of Rawlins, WY when I was a kid who kept himself in "government beef" (aka elk) with a single shot .22 long rifle. I guess he preferred a more powerful gun. I have read that the Inuit use .17 HMRs to kill bull walrus that weigh 3500 pounds on the flipper. My deceased hunting buddy used his M-16 to kill an Asian water buffalo that had been crippled by artillery fire. Gary was the only farm boy in the patrol that knew where to place the 55 grain bullet to put the critter out of it's misery. The others that had tried hit the horn bosses with little effect. His old friend gave him a beat up old .25-20 Marlin that had been used to kill "truck loads" of deer back in SD. It was the farm's "Big Gun".
Plus I have seen the photos of the skulls of pigs you have taken with your .22 CBs.

I think it was the malignant troll from POW that posted "If you can shoot everything works an if you can't nothing does." I can't argue with that. I guess if I was smart I would go list all of my big guns on Gunbroker right now before everybody comes to that conclusion!

Not big game, but my last coyote of the fur season - 40 grain Vmax from a .223.

Attached picture coyote.JPG
Originally Posted by aboltfan
For any who've tried them, would the Speer 55gr. Gold Dots be any advantage over the Hornady 55gr. SP in a 1-12 bolt gun?

I've only used the 62 and 75 gold dot and they dug a little deeper than the hornady but that's to be expected. Not really any more damage though, at least with the 62s.

I bet with the 55s it wouldn't be much difference between the two. The Speers open really wide and that limits penetration I think
Went to feed cows this evening and added a data point.

Caught this big rooter sneaking out of a brushy draw into the milo stubble and gave him a couple 55 Hornady BTHPs. First one hit him square on the shoulder broadside. Second was back in the guts when he ran. Third one missed and the fourth landed in the hindquarter.

First round wrecked the entire shoulder, vaporized the scapula and had a 2 1/2” hole behind it. The one in the guts went in and was lost, no exit. The one through the hams left a 1/2” hole through both hams and exited. All of this to more or less confirm my suspicions based on a few samples in the past that shows them to be erratic. I have a bunch of them and they shoot great but from here on I think I’ll stick to SPs or tipped bullets when buying Hornady.
.223 Rem 53 gr Barnes TSX

Caught this big rooter sneaking out of a brushy draw into the milo stubble and gave him a couple 55 Hornady BTHPs. First one hit him square on the shoulder broadside. Second was back in the guts when he ran. Third one missed and the fourth landed in the hindquarter.

First round wrecked the entire shoulder, vaporized the scapula and had a 2 1/2” hole behind it. The one in the guts went in and was lost, no exit. The one through the hams left a 1/2” hole through both hams and exited. All of this to more or less confirm my suspicions based on a few samples in the past that shows them to be erratic. I have a bunch of them and they shoot great but from here on I think I’ll stick to SPs or tipped bullets when buying Hornady.

Nice work. Seems like the 62’s you mentioned might be about perfect for a plain Jane SP.
Originally Posted by pacecars

Nice buck! Looks like it wrecked him.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Nice work. Seems like the 62’s you mentioned might be about perfect for a plain Jane SP.

I think I’m going to order some to find out. Wish I could get less than 500 at a whack but they’ll get used.

Im going to give 55 SXs a try on hogs in March. Operating under the assumption a brain shot should explode the bullet and electrocute the hog.Basic 55 SP kills them really dead with a brain shot, but I want them more deader...and its your fault. The .17 does that-electrocutes them- so now Im working on getting a .22 CF to do it with frangible bullets.

I think I’m going to order some to find out. Wish I could get less than 500 at a whack but they’ll get used.

I’ve got about a 1000 of the 62 grain bonded bullets I got from Rocky Mountain Reloading years ago. I think they’re Fusions? I just loaded 400 of them for my brother and figured they’re a decent do anything sorta bullet as well. They weren’t TMK accurate but they were still good. I didn’t spend a bunch of time messing with loads though either.

I’ve got about a 1000 of the 62 grain bonded bullets I got from Rocky Mountain Reloading years ago. I think they’re Fusions? I just loaded 400 of them for my brother and figured they’re a decent do anything sorta bullet as well. They weren’t TMK accurate but they were still good. I didn’t spend a bunch of time messing with loads though either.

That's where I got mine. They kill well in a 223 and are even more impressive in the 22-250 AI
I tried the other day to get one into the jugs. Blasted thru 3 and bounced hard off 4. The 77 TMK Destroys 2 jugs but doesn’t scratch the 3rd for comparison.

Im going to give 55 SXs a try on hogs in March. Operating under the assumption a brain shot should explode the bullet and electrocute the hog.Basic 55 SP kills them really dead with a brain shot, but I want them more deader...and its your fault. The .17 does that-electrocutes them- so now Im working on getting a .22 CF to do it with frangible bullets.

I shot a couple with 50 SXs a couple weeks ago. The one little one I headshot and it was literally missing everything above the eyeballs! I didn’t go anywhere

He went about 10 yds with no heart
Looks about perfect. Can’t ask for more.
I tried the other day to get one into the jugs. Blasted thru 3 and bounced hard off 4. The 77 TMK Destroys 2 jugs but doesn’t scratch the 3rd for comparison.

I caught one in the 3rd jug at 100 yards from my 22-250 ai. It smacked the 4th hard enough to crack it but the expanded bullet couldn't get out of the 3rd. I imagine the 223 may penetrate deeper due to less dramatic expansion
Yeah maybe that’s why mine came out if the 3rd.

Good bullet. Wished I had more. I’d spend more time making a better load.

I shot a couple with 50 SXs a couple weeks ago. The one little one I headshot and it was literally missing everything above the eyeballs! I didn’t go anywhere

Pretty much what I figured...I'll post results when I get them....thanks!
Are those SXs softer than a vmax of the same weight? I've never shot them
The ones I have are old, cardboard box with reinforced corners, no idea where they came from but they are soft. Only Vmax I’ve used much is the 53 and they’re pretty soft too. Not sure but I’d say the Vmax may be a tad tougher though neither one is a “tough” bullet.
Originally Posted by Dude270
Are those SXs softer than a vmax of the same weight? I've never shot them

I'm gonna give the 55 Vmax and the 55 SX a go in another month...my wild guess is also that Vmax will be a tad tougher but Im thinking for what Im doing, I wont be able to tell the difference...
I always thought the vmax was pretty dang soft. If the SX is softer still results should be pretty dramatic

55 V-Max Rio7
40 vmax has not missed a lick in pigs and deer out of 223 this year. Other than running leg hits etc.. it breaks backs, blows into lungs, penetrates skulls etc.... Generally 100 yards or less distance wise.

That said its illegal to kill big game in TX with a 22 rimfire so I can't post pictures of anything like that. They do kill pigs quite well though.
I’ve had surprisingly good luck with the 40 tipped Varmeggedon rost, on pigs anyway. They don’t dig deep but on broadside shots they will wreck some stuff.
A little story from when I was young and in Alaska.
A brother-in-law of my best friend was coming home from work and spotted a two year old bull moose standing by a berm pile. He had a 22 with so he popped it in the chest while it faced him. Down it went but pretty quick it was back up. Shot it again and down it went.
He picked my best friend and went to butcher it. Two dead moose laying there. Had to get a couple of us to help get them dressed and out of there. Both were heart shot. Edk

Was he quartering away?
Originally Posted by mathman

Was he quartering away?

Yes. That was the entrance
Originally Posted by Dude270
I appreciate the response

I don't fret super gilt edge accuracy with these types of loads either, I look for good performance across a couple of rifles though if possible. I'm gonna play around with TAC a bit and see how it goes.

I agree with you about the 55 gr hornady sp. It is just a low drama solid performing bullet

I bought a pile of these when they were about $80/1000 several years ago, and they are a dang good bullet.
This thread motivated me to use my .223 on deer this year for the first time. That, and the bone spurs growing around the cadaver transplant, plate and screws in my shooting shoulder (old guys shouldn't play softball on potholed, hard-packed rodeo grounds). One shot, one kill on two NE does with, frankly, suboptimal shot placement both times (one 200+ yards away, one at point blank range). I used the Winchester Razorback XT 64 grain copper solid hollow point factory load and can't complain.
Unless I've missed it - I haven't seen a single reference to the Hornady 68 gr. BTHP...?

Anyone use them on any kind of game? I have around 500 of them and worked up a sweet load for them in my RAR 1/8, SWFA 3X9. They're hell on ground squirrels, I know. But will they hang together on a nice buck?
As well, any blood drawn with the 62gr BTHP
Midway has seconds in stock that I have a hunch are 77TMKs, I’ll know for sure next week when they get here.
Midway has seconds in stock that I have a hunch are 77TMKs, I’ll know for sure next week when they get here.

Thanks for the heads up. Grabbed a bunch myself.
I have a couple hundred of the 55 grain Hornady spire points for my 223, but I'm also sitting on a large stash of 55 grain Ballistic Tips and N133 I picked up before Brandon got started. Is there a body of experience out there for the 55 BT on pigs?
Put them in the front half and they won’t make it far. They won’t exit on anything over about 75 pounds but they make a mess of the insides.

This one bought the farm after I stuck him with a 55BT out of my 222Mag. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I went on a run this afternoon looking for varmints after the big snow and blow yesterday. Pulled a boneheaded move on a pair of coyotes that came running in and never got a shot off. But managed to redeem myself on a few pigs.

This little fellow took a 55BT up the hind end as they departed. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

77TMK through the big shoulder knuckle did for this big gal and another about the same size. Shoulder was wrecked but no exit. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
77gr tmk is a dang good bullet if 2.25" is max coal (or 2.3)

doesn't suck that black hills preloads them to a combination of hotter/more accurate then i can get out of my gassers handloading.
Kid what can u using?
Griffin Recce7.

Main reason I took the plunge was for shooting pigs. It was worth it, I get to save what hearing I have left and it seems to confuse the pigs. They run towards the shooter more often than not.
looking at a silencerco harvester evo for my ar's and my tikka 6.5
Kid, where are you hunting pigs in snow??
Oklahoma
Didn’t realize there was such a population there. Dang things can live about anywhere I guess.
Oh yeah we have scads of the bastards. I’ve killed about 20 in the last 5 weeks.
I’m trying to give the 55 Hornady HP a fair shake, slash use up what I have loaded. 😁

But frankly I’m of the opinion that terminally they suck. I shot three pigs with them tonight and while they died bullet performance was all over the map, just like I’ve found before.
This one was the best result. You can see the entry right to the left of the sling swivel. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This is the almost exit to the left of the knife blade. You can see the two mangled shards of jacket on the hide, the were lodged in the thick hide. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I wouldn’t be so critical of them if they were consistent but I’ve had them do everything from grenade on a broadside shot on a pig to icepick a crow at under 100 yards. Maybe at 22-250 speeds they’re more predictable but not so much out of an 18” 223.
69gr RMR Matchking knockoff that a fellow forum guy sent me to try out. Look close and you can see the entry under his eye and the exit back by the flank. He died. I need to find a pig that’ll hold still long enough to let me get in shooting range, was on a big bunch yesterday with the boy when the neighbor decided to shoot beer cans right before we got in range and they shagged out. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Good to know on the Hornady 55 HP...Im about to experiment with some frangible bullets on hogs-head shots-and that isn't in the lineup, nor will it be.
69gr RMR Matchking knockoff that a fellow forum guy sent me to try out. Look close and you can see the entry under his eye and the exit back by the flank. He died. I need to find a pig that’ll hold still long enough to let me get in shooting range, was on a big bunch yesterday with the boy when the neighbor decided to shoot beer cans right before we got in range and they shagged out. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've killed a couple coyotes with them so far. Knitting needle in, quarter out, that's catching shoulders. They don't seem to upset very quickly.

I'm curious to hear how the act on something with a bit more size
Had a good drive home from work today. Started by shooting a coyote that was eating a on a pig carcass Out in a hayfield. He piled off in an abandoned gyp quarry when he saw me coming but I circled around and caught him out on the ice. One 55 Speer from about 150 yards had him spinning and biting, the second one through the shoulders settled him. No pics as he was out on about 1” of ice on the frozen quarry pond.

Went on toward the house and decided I’d make a quick walk up to a patch of switchgrass next to some milo stubble that I knew some pigs had been using to stay out of the north wind. Sure enough as soon as I got to the edge of the half acre of 4’ high grass I see a dark black object on the south side of the berm the fence is built on. A quick look with the bino showed it to be a big pig and he was just getting up out of his bed of grass he’d cut down and piled up. When he stood I gave him a 69gr RMR through the center of the shoulder and he folded in his tracks.

Entry. No exit and I wasn’t going diving for it at 19deg and in a stinking boar hog. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
After I took his picture and split him open I headed back the half mile to the truck. As I topped the hill I saw a familiar shape out in the Bermuda grass and the glass showed it to be a coyote. I crawled up behind some weeds in the fence line and grabbed my CritRcall. Didn’t take long and I had 3 coyotes right in my lap. I shot the first one at about 25 yards and rolled him and then switched to his pards. One of them was a big brindle colored one and I really wanted him but he ran straight towards a house that sits behind the hill so I held off.

A pretty good trip home from work anyway.
Kid what scope are you using?
VXR 1.25-4 with the circle duplex
Good deal on this evenings hunt. Glad to hear the RMR did ok on the pig.

Did you use the same bullet on the coyote?

The few I shot went down hard but I caught shoulders on purpose. The kiddo has shot some coons and possums with them but they were head shots so not much to learn there.

I'm hoping those bullets turn out to be killers
I’m actually not sure what bullet I used on the coyote. I had forgot I stuffed some of the RMRs in to top off a mag that had some of the Hornady 55gr HPs in it. I whiffed the first shot and hit him with the second and third as he put on the afterburner. I’d already shot some stuff with that mag last week and I’m not sure how many of the 69s were still in it, at least 3 for sure. Whatever the second and third shots were they both ice picked though no bones were encountered.

I would have opened the pig a little further for the sake of science. But as I mentioned it was pretty cold and if you look in the pic right above my scope there’s a knot on his side. Turns out that was full of puss when I rolled his hide back, talk about stink. Dammit
No need to go exploring in something like that, sounds nasty.

I'm sure you will get plenty of others to experiment on. If you need another handful of those bullets send me a PM.

I hope to shoot some vermin and a coyote or two with them this weekend
This is why I consider the 55 Hornady SP one of the best 223 bullets for all uses.

Snuck up on these two characters snoozing in some switchgrass. Only saw the spotted one at first and he was sound asleep, thought he was dead at first. When they finally got up to move out I stuck them both with a 55 SP from about 20 yards. Hard quartered away I shot them both in the armpit through small gaps in the weeds. Neither went further than you could throw a rock underhand. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Entry wound [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Exit almost through the shoulder [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
And the bullet that was peeled down to near the base but the core was clinging tightly in the jacket. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I don’t know how fast they’re going out of my 18” barrel but these were loaded over 25gr of 748 and they were at near muzzle speed when they impacted at only 20 yards. They did exactly what I’ve come to expect time after time, give 10-12” of straight penetration with a 1-2” wound track. As much as I love experimenting if I had to pick one bullet to do it all cheaply and predictably this would likely be it.
Nice!
You can't ask for better than that. The 55 hornady is a heck of a little bullet.
Spring javelina. 62 grain gold dots 182 yards

Attached picture A26FA027-9A0A-485E-95E5-F440AC6D3438.jpeg

.22LR and .223:

Another good morning

Tikka .223

52 grain SMKs

Called this guy up this morning and shot him in the shirt pocket from exactly 50 paces, blood spot on his side is the exit. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Indianed up on about 10-12 pigs sleeping soundly in a thicket, 5 are still sleeping. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Everything this morning caught a 69gr RMR SMK clone on top of 24.5gr of 748. I feel like I have used them on enough critters now to have an opinion. I don’t hate them but I also won’t be making them my first choice. They will bust a shoulder even on big pigs but they don’t seem really consistent. Sometimes they seem to frag inside pigs and icepick on softer targets like coyotes. Honestly I don’t seem to have real good luck with HP bullets in general as I’ve reported on my less than impressive results with various Hornady HPs. Maybe it’s the lower speeds of an 18” 223 but I seem to have much better luck with tipped or soft point bullets.
Kimber .223 Rem.

When I saw the title I thought this was for 22 LR kills. Should have said ".224" kills.

I was going to brag on my duiker and African wildcat, both killed using a borrowed CZ because I didn't want to shoot them with my 458. One shot, DRTs.
Nice going Kid…

Wished I could buy into a few thousand 77 TMKs

Hard to hate how that bullet works on about everything so far.
Nice going Kid…

Wished I could buy into a few thousand 77 TMKs

Hard to hate how that bullet works on about everything so far.

I snatched up 500 when Midway had the seconds, they’ll last me a while. I keep 5 20 round mags in my door pocket and at least 3 are always full of some cheap bullets for blasting coyotes or crows or rocks or whatever. Save the TMKs for serious business like pigs or deer.

I wish I could get my hands on some of the 69TMKs to test drive in my 9 twist.
FMJ 55’s

Three less rooters. What optic is that?
That’s Bering Optics - Hogster R 35 (2x-8x). It has a quick detach lever so it can be used as a scanner, instant on and off the picatinny rail. Lock it on and go to work! I really like it 👍
I hear you, as it seems like that's a popular optic with a good reputation. Most of the new thermal stuff looks the same from the outside, so I generally have to ask what model it is. I had the family out on the front porch the other night watching deer across a field and it doesn't get old, being able to see in the dark.
What’s one of those cost? I’d like to have a thermal but I don’t know when I’d sleep if I had one!
A decent middle-ground but name brand 384res thermal is going to be about $2,300 to $3,300, depending on features. That price pretty much applies if it's a scope or scanner.

And I'm not really even needing one right now. River has jumped up and pushed daytime pigs on me but I'm stuck at work this week.

Stupid cell-cams sending me stuff like this. Top one was 15 minutes ago. Bottom one was just before dark yesterday.

Originally Posted by JPro
A decent middle-ground but name brand 384res thermal is going to be about $2,300 to $3,300, depending on features. That price pretty much applies if it's a scope or scanner.

And I'm not really even needing one right now. River has jumped up and pushed daytime pigs on me but I'm stuck at work this week.

Stupid cell-cams sending me stuff like this. Top one was 15 minutes ago. Bottom one was just before dark yesterday.

Which camera?
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
When I saw the title I thought this was for 22 LR kills. Should have said ".224" kills.

I was going to brag on my duiker and African wildcat, both killed using a borrowed CZ because I didn't want to shoot them with my 458. One shot, DRTs.

It does say 22 caliber, not 22 long rifle although you can post en up since the long rifle is 22 caliber.

22 caliber/.224 same same.

Which camera?

That one is the Muddy Merge. They work pretty well for the money. A buddy has the Muddy Manifest 2.0 and he's had good luck with his as well.

I guess second string rolled in at lunchtime today and booted out the brown ones.

How is cell reception where these cameras are located?

We just bought a piece of property and I can barely get a text to go out let alone something with an attachment.

Do these cell cams send a pic later if signal isn't the best at the time of picture being taken?
Sidekick and me run onto a little bunch of pigs this evening. Killed both sows and one of about 20 shoats. Hornady 75BTHPs, and I still don’t like them much, but they worked. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

All with Savage single shot .220 Swift shooting Nosler 60 grain partition. All one shot kills
How is cell reception where these cameras are located?

We just bought a piece of property and I can barely get a text to go out let alone something with an attachment.

Do these cell cams send a pic later if signal isn't the best at the time of picture being taken?

Mine work in spots where my cellphone (Iphone 12) get one bar. The camera lets me know its signal is enough before I arm it and leave it there. A few spots on my place have zero bars on my phone and the camera tells me the same. If I can get 2 bars in any spot on my place, it is a rarity.

I'll occasionally not get a pic for a day or so and then will get 40-50 pics at once. I figure it's likely that the signal was below-average for a time and then ramped back up again and sent out the backlog.
I’ve also killed several deer and hogs with a .223 Remington. 55 grain Sierra soft point. H&R Ultra single shot break over. I don’t have pictures of them.
Looks like that Swift did the job. The little Partition might be ugly, but it works.
Originally Posted by JPro
Looks like that Swift did the job. The little Partition might be ugly, but it works.

Hell of a bullet in the 22-250. Killed a boatload of deer with that combo.

I may try some in the 223 and see how they do. Bet I already know the outcome.
I think I only recovered a couple of those partition bullets. Most pass plumb through.
Good stuff folks. I got me some pics coming.
Sidekick and me run onto a little bunch of pigs this evening. Killed both sows and one of about 20 shoats. Hornady 75BTHPs, and I still don’t like them much, but they worked. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Which can?

Getting serious about picking a couple up. One for the AR-22 and one for the 15.
Griffin Recce 7. Only one I own and I only bought it initially due to most others being out of stock. That said, I’ve been very happy with it, very little POI shift and no change in group size.
My next can for AR is a Banish 223.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Been checking those out.

Still up in the air on a can for the 22 LR
A guy I work with got a Banish 30 about 6 months ago. He seems to like it, but then again he doesn’t actually shoot either. He puts it on his Blackout and pops a few rounds off the porch while his ol lady videos and shows everyone who’ll look. 🤦‍♂️

Been checking those out.

Dead Air Mask or TBAC Takedown 22.....

Been checking those out.

Dead Air Mask or TBAC Takedown 22.....

TBAC=Thunderbeast??
yessir

Nice...
Originally Posted by Whitebird

Nice...

It'd be nicer if the castle looking thingy in the background was in focus, but that is OK..

Originally Posted by Whitebird

Nice...

It'd be nicer if the castle looking thingy in the background was in focus, but that is OK..

OK.

Just stop it.

You are starting to suck mightily.
Why are you so full of hate?
My sensitive feelings may or may not be easily hurt.
I can't remember if I posted this one or not. Trapped, though killed via .22 LR. Last of the three boars I got this year.
These are tough critters. They'll bend trap chains and crunch proof swivels and can absolutely jack up a heavy duty steel trap, but they still are no match for a simple 40 grain .22 LR lead bullet through the lungs.

That’s awesome. I lived up there for 10 years and only got to see one for about 2 seconds. I grabbed my rifle and took off after him but he was gone.
They're rare to see no doubt. I have yet to see one not in a trap. I believe they're the only bigger critter in NA that I have not laid eyes on in a random sighting besides oddball southern critters like panthers, etc.

Crazy thing is, I had about 12 cubbies set out, all winter long. Not in a huge area mind you, but a few miles in length. I caught all three of those males within about a 500 yard stretch, and got nothing throughout the rest of my line.
K Horn.

I can't remember if I posted this one or not. Trapped, though killed via .22 LR. Last of the three boars I got this year.
These are tough critters. They'll bend trap chains and crunch proof swivels and can absolutely jack up a heavy duty steel trap, but they still are no match for a simple 40 grain .22 LR lead bullet through the lungs.

Very cool!
You definitely living the Life T-man!
I try.

More .22-250 "deer" kills. These little things are thick in places in southern England. They're easy to hunt and fun as hell.

Water deer cull

Muntjac buck.
I try.

More .22-250 "deer" kills. These little things are thick in places in southern England. They're easy to hunt and fun as hell.

Water deer cull

Muntjac buck.

Super cool, you’re living right!
I try.

Water deer cull

Muntjac buck.

Very cool. My good buddy went to the UK and took a few of them a couple years back. Neat darned animals.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]post pics
Driving home from the fishing hole this evening I spied a dark shape in a bud of mine’s wheat. Grabbed my truck gun and made a 3/4 mile stalk on him. Gave him a 69gr RMR through the neck and out went the lights. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I knelt down and split him so he’ll get eaten up and when I looked up his big brother was out there cutting wheat down like a mini combine. One through the shoulders would have done it but I stuck him twice more through the ribs as he ran for fun and good measure. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He had some decent teeth on him and probably weighed upwards of 250. I about blew my nuts out dragging him 40 yards to the edge of the field. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As I finished splitting the second one I looked up and had a whole damn mess of them coming across the fence out into the wheat about 75 yards away. 5 more of them caught a 69gr RMR for their troubles and luckily I managed to kill all but one out of the wheat so there was no more dragging involved. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I did catch one of the RMR 69s for the first time. It had broke a rib and traversed the chest on the second big pig and was resting against the hide. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Productive evening
I knew the Kid would contribute more, so here is my latest from last week. .222 shooting a 55 gr Vmax...

ingwe

Do you get exits with those V maxs with head shots?

GreggH
Originally Posted by GreggH
ingwe

Do you get exits with those V maxs with head shots?

GreggH

Nope. That pig was about #150..you might get an exit on a little one under about #50

It did exactly as I'd hoped...went in, blew up, and provided an instant humane kill.

222 did some badger work
Driving home from the fishing hole this evening I spied a dark shape in a bud of mine’s wheat. Grabbed my truck gun and made a 3/4 mile stalk on him. Gave him a 69gr RMR through the neck and out went the lights. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I knelt down and split him so he’ll get eaten up and when I looked up his big brother was out there cutting wheat down like a mini combine. One through the shoulders would have done it but I stuck him twice more through the ribs as he ran for fun and good measure. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He had some decent teeth on him and probably weighed upwards of 250. I about blew my nuts out dragging him 40 yards to the edge of the field. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As I finished splitting the second one I looked up and had a whole damn mess of them coming across the fence out into the wheat about 75 yards away. 5 more of them caught a 69gr RMR for their troubles and luckily I managed to kill all but one out of the wheat so there was no more dragging involved. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I did catch one of the RMR 69s for the first time. It had broke a rib and traversed the chest on the second big pig and was resting against the hide. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Keeping yer barrel warmed up!
Nice work gentleman!
I recently picked up some of the Nosler 64gr. Bonded bullets from SPS. Haven’t seen this bullet show up on this thread. Is it not a very good performer? I was hoping to use it for a doe antelope this fall in Wyoming!

Elk Country
Originally Posted by elkcountry
I recently picked up some of the Nosler 64gr. Bonded bullets from SPS. Haven’t seen this bullet show up on this thread. Is it not a very good performer? I was hoping to use it for a doe antelope this fall in Wyoming!

Elk Country

I tried them in a couple guns and couldnt get the accuracy I was hoping for. Still they had good "hunting" accuracy so I shot a couple deer with them. They worked. In spades.
Originally Posted by elkcountry

Elk Country

I have posted this before but the Nosler .64gr worked for me and shot well in this rifle.

Doc, what kind of sight do you have on your Bee and how’s it mounted?
No kill, just a crease. No alcohol involved either.

65 grain BTSP. 223 AR. 2008 Sierra, just had a fresh redo in November.

My wife is proud!!🤣🤣🤣

Collateral damage from about 10' above the target.

My wife is proud!!🤣🤣🤣

LOL, had a great shooting hunting buddy who shot his truck hood 3 times while shooting at a target. He was some kind of miffed when the target showed no holes, and laughed like a madman when he noticed the hood. This with an old 74 F150.
Originally Posted by Region6
Doc, what kind of sight do you have on your Bee and how’s it mounted?

Fastfire 111 on a Williams 5D sight base. Fastfire matched the Williams screw pattern. Works very well.
Originally Posted by hitandmiss

My wife is proud!!🤣🤣🤣

LOL, had a great shooting hunting buddy who shot his truck hood 3 times while shooting at a target. He was some kind of miffed when the target showed no holes, and laughed like a madman when he noticed the hood. This with an old 74 F150.
1st shot didn't hit the target, 2nd shot a small limb fell from about 10' above the target. I knew then something was phu.ucky.

Then I realized how low the barrel sat in my hand when leaning on the bed side.

Laughed about it. About all I could do.
Old spots caught a 75 BTHP Hornady on my evening stroll. Didn’t do him any good. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Old spots caught a 75 BTHP Hornady on my evening stroll. Didn’t do him any good. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Use them frequently? I have been thinking about giving em a whirl.

I am using some 65 grain BTSP on hogs this weekend. I believe they are a Hornady bullet that Midway was selling in bulk.
little salt and pepper helps or being very hungry?
22 shorts are big game loads! grin

Attached picture stevens vs mouse.jpg
I’ve probably killed 30-40 with them and honestly I’m not a fan. They’ve been erratic performance wise IME. I don’t care if they blow up or if they penetrate like crazy, I want them to do the same thing every time. If I know how they’re going to behave I can steer them accordingly but it’s a crapshoot as far as I can tell.

I’m thinking those 65s you got might be the ultimate cheap pig, deer, sick cow or whatever truck gun bullet. The 55s are so good the 62s and 65s almost have to be good. I need to scoop some up and try them.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
little salt and pepper helps or being very hungry?
That's either a very large mouse or a small revolver!!🤣🤣
I’ve probably killed 30-40 with them and honestly I’m not a fan. They’ve been erratic performance wise IME. I don’t care if they blow up or if they penetrate like crazy, I want them to do the same thing every time. If I know how they’re going to behave I can steer them accordingly but it’s a crapshoot as far as I can tell.

I’m thinking those 65s you got might be the ultimate cheap pig, deer, sick cow or whatever truck gun bullet. The 55s are so good the 62s and 65s almost have to be good. I need to scoop some up and try them.
Have 500 of the 62 btsp in my cart w Midsouth.

Midway has a 62 grain flat base w crimp ring too. Looks like a Hornady profile.
One of this season'r roebucks shot with a 55gr Sierra SBT from a 22-250.
Rifle is a Blaser K95 single shot.

That’s cool! That’s a big one correct?
Great picture, congrads
Originally Posted by chamois
One of this season'r roebucks shot with a 55gr Sierra SBT from a 22-250.
Rifle is a Blaser K95 single shot.

Beautiful rifle, Roebuck, and pic!
Colt Sauer 22-250...

Grouse with a Winchester 1873 22 long and Winchester low wall 22 long...

The Kid,
Thank You, no, it is just a nice one, not a specially big.

Daddlering & Ingwe,
Thank You!

What kind of hound?
Bavarian Mountain Blood Hound, a breed pretty much specialized in tracking wounded game. His name is Mauser.
Awesome pictures Chamois and a helluva good name for the dog!

What kind of hound?

Some knobby, gnarly bases on that one 😊
Bavarian Mountain Blood Hound, a breed pretty much specialized in tracking wounded game. His name is Mauser.
Hunting is always better when you can have a dog involved.
Absolutely!

I've been doing all my roedeer stalking with a dog by me for the last 21 years and I would not stalk without one any more. Well educated they will be the best They are hunting companions!

Thanks all for your comments,

Alvaro

Awesome Roe deer and pics! Very classic!

Enjoyed all of the pics but the "bark" above is really, really good.
Thank You Chamois!

Great pics and a great old dog.....at least I think he's old and grey around the muzzle like me.

I love watching videos of Europeans hunting big game with dogs.
Haha yes, VernAK... he is old and wise!

Every now and then we get a call from neighbour hunting areas that they have wounded a roebuck so we go there to help. You should see him following the spoor, truffle to the ground, and stopping every now and then just to look back to make sure I am following. Old bucks will most of the time make turns and laces and it is incredible how he will unwind his trail and lead me to the dead or, sometimes still alive, animal.

Three years ago a Spanish Ibex that he was following and that had run off from him without giving us an opportunity of shooting him again moved into really treacherous territory, somewhere like the Ibex thought he could not be followed, but Mauser did and disaster happened when the Ibex turn aroung and toppled him off and down a vertical rock cliff that almost killed him.

He never recovered totally, but has substitued the physical power he then had becoming a mor mindfull dog now.

I cannot say how much I appreciate his company and work. It is just invaluable.
The Kid,
Thank You, no, it is just a nice one, not a specially big.

Daddlering & Ingwe,
Thank You!

Could have fooled me. He looks absolutely ginormous.
Nice work!
Any of you folks have a chance to use Sierra 64 Gamechanger bullet on deer sized game.
Sako Vixen HB 222 Mag 50gr. NBT

223 ai 64 grain nosler bonded
223, 77 tmk

223, 55 ttsx
Caught a bunch going right down the rows of soybeans a buddy sowed yesterday, Hoovering them up. I got two for sure and one squealer that made the brush.
55gr Hornady SP.
Caught a bunch going right down the rows of soybeans a buddy sowed yesterday, Hoovering them up. I got two for sure and one squealer that made the brush.
55gr Hornady SP.

Dammit!

Now I got some catching up to do....

In 3.5 hours this afternoon I shot 23 woodchucks with the Sako Vixen 222Mag. I was in an 85 acre second year alfalfa field. I’ve never seen so many woodchucks in one place. I didn’t get pictures of them all, but here’s a sampling.

Way to go Kingston!

Makes me wanna break out my Sako 222 or the Sako 222 Mag! Awesome stuff.
Nice shooting.

A sampling from tonight’s adventures in the same alfalfa patch. One of these technically doesn’t belong in this thread, it fell to the 6 BRA. I shot six with the BRA. Bullets were penciling.
Let’s bump this up again. Anybody else shoot anything with a popgun this year? I’ve been under the weather and haven’t blown a coyote call since the new year started but I have shot a pickup load or so of pigs just incidentally on my drive home and whatnot.

Still shooting mostly 77TMKs and 55 Hornadys. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Let’s bump this up again. Anybody else shoot anything with a popgun this year? I’ve been under the weather and haven’t blown a coyote call since the new year started but I have shot a pickup load or so of pigs just incidentally on my drive home and whatnot.

Still shooting mostly 77TMKs and 55 Hornadys. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Those look like eggs there by the butt of your rifle. I'm still burning Hornady 75 gr. BTHP's out of my AR's simply because I bought a bunch of them a while back. No real complaints, my other bullet is Hornady 60 gr. flat based HP's.
Kid, I didn't shoot any because I committed to using lever guns this season, but my brother tested a load I had worked up for my grandson. The results I saw have convinced me to join the stunt shooters. I'll be working up loads this spring for a new T3 .223 with 77gr. TMKs and TBBCs. My Abolt has a 1/12 twist so we'll be sticking to the 55gr. Hornady bullets for it. I"m posting a link to the TBBC thread to make it easier.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...8016221/loads-for-62gr-tbbc#Post18016221
You wankers might wanna try something a bit more exciting?

I know my gaff is a bit more than .22 caliber, but....

Be quick or be dead. grin

DD,

I grew up in Mississippi using catch dogs and carrying them out live to fatten up before butchering. I killed a few with the .22 LR as well.
© 24hourcampfire